closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What’s your least favourite watch brand ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Faux 'prestigious' Swiss brands like Baume & Mercier, Raymond Weil, Maurice Lacroix, Certina that are total rip-offs, lucky to even get an ETA movement as most of the money has gone on marketing
    Certina are a Swatch Group brand, it'd be remarkable to not get an ETA movement in one.

For me, it's Bell&Ross, Breitling & Tag.

Banned
    Lew & Heuey aka NTH or Janis Trading or something.

I was unfortunate enough to be around to notice this brand grow and along with it a bunch of brown nosing fanboys.

Most Kickstarter "brands" with their crappy mission statements. Gotta love McManus though!

I don't think fashion brands are as bad as people make out as long as they are the right price.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Breitling for me , with the notable exception of the issued 817 which I'd sell a kidney for

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Can’t see myself owning a Bremont or a Tudor (although I like a few Bremonts but they all seem to be too big for my tastes)
    That's my taste shot down in flames.
    Wear a Tudor Black Bay Burgundy (ETA) and Bremont ALT1-C with the cream dial which will be 10 years old this year.
    Love them both but beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course.
    The other thing that I like about them is that they're not on everyone's wrists like a Breitling or Seamaster that fall into similar price ranges.
    As for the size the Bremont is a bit thicker than the BB but only 1mm wider at 43mm and I've not got a big wrist but the balance and build quality of the case is exceptional.
    The new 40mm case size is a good move on the latest Supermarines and Airco models.

Craftsman
    Any watch with a fashion brand name.

Hugo boss

Lacoste

Etc etc

Master
    TAG for me - when looking at displays, I don't even look at them anymore

Master
    Among real brands? Bremont, easily.

Journeyman

Fashion brands

Quote Originally Posted by Lawbreaker5000 View Post
    Any watch with a fashion brand name.

Hugo boss

Lacoste

Etc etc
    Agree with that one.

I just dislike the fashion brands that claim to be something better: Richard Mille, Hublot, Graham etc. They are just overpriced tat for people that have more money than sense. Many are seriously big and ugly looking, rather like the watches.

Vostok Europe.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Hublot, Richard Mille, Graham are all like lint to me.

I actually like Bremont designs and engineering but the whole contrived back story and IHM debacle makes me shudder.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    Invicta is the stand out for me.
    And for me. Also dislike Skagen a bit, and TW Steel.

Chris Ward, Bremont, TAG and Hublot.

Craftsman
    Graham and Bell and Ross for me ........

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Cannot honestly say that particular brands are what leads me to liking or disliking a particular watch. I have a long standing interest in and fondness for watches and can find something to like or appreciate in most of them. If I were looking at watches in a shop then I would tend towards those in my price bracket. I don’t like to spend more than a grand (£s) but that doesn’t mean that I don’t appreciate the higher end stuff. One of the nice things about this forum are the quality pictures of rare watches which I would otherwise never see. Strangely though, I can enjoy without the desire to personally own.
    This doesn’t mean that I am immune to all of the WIS madness. I would have seriously considered a Christopher Ward until they changed the logo and dropped London from their branding. No idea why. It isn't as if I am from London.

Quote Originally Posted by Taranaki Time View Post
    Cannot honestly say that particular brands are what leads me to liking or disliking a particular watch. I have a long standing interest in and fondness for watches and can find something to like or appreciate in most of them. If I were looking at watches in a shop then I would tend towards those in my price bracket. I don’t like to spend more than a grand (£s) but that doesn’t mean that I don’t appreciate the higher end stuff. One of the nice things about this forum are the quality pictures of rare watches which I would otherwise never see. Strangely though, I can enjoy without the desire to personally own.
    This doesn’t mean that I am immune to all of the WIS madness. I would have seriously considered a Christopher Ward until they changed the logo and dropped London from their branding. No idea why. It isn't as if I am from London.
    I'm glad they dropped London from their name as that's all it was, their name. They aren't made or even designed in London. They just got people to think that because that's what they were called! I greatly dislike that sort of behaviour.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I'm glad they dropped London from their name as that's all it was, their name. They aren't made or even designed in London. They just got people to think that because that's what they were called! I greatly dislike that sort of behaviour.
    Yes. No doubt I am an unwitting victim of their marketing and brand placement. A lucky escape perhaps?

Yes. No doubt I am an unwitting victim of their marketing and brand placement. A lucky escape perhaps?
    I totally get it. I've done exactly the same multiple times. The only reason it didn't work with me and Ward is I was very skeptical of watches apparently being from London yet priced so low (this was before they started hiking them up).

They do have lots of happy customers so they're clearly doing something right.

Master
    Never much cared for them, but after the founder was outed recently for his misdeeds, then;

Kobold - he’s managed to thoroughly trash the brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    Also I can’t stand fashion watches like Gucci or emporio Armani , stick to clothing and perfumes guys
    I would agree with you with the exception of the Gucci Pantheon chrono that was on the sales corner. Came so close to making an offer when it was first listed.

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    Lew & Heuey aka NTH or Janis Trading or something.

Most Kickstarter "brands" with their crappy mission statements. Gotta love McManus though!

Definitely agree about all of Chris Veil's watch brands. He seemed decent enough in the beginning as he was building his business. Then he became a big mouthed dick who didn't want to honour warranties for defective crowns on the Orthos model.

McManus is my current pet hate, he is just a blight on the watch community. He was selling on a local Irish sales website and padded his feedback with a load of fake sales.

Master
    And Rolex, Omega etc don't do marketing? You pay for the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Wharry View Post
    Certina are a Swatch Group brand, it'd be remarkable to not get an ETA movement in one.

For me, it's Bell&Ross, Breitling & Tag.
    Yeah, I'm a bit baffled by the Certina hatred - They seem to offer excellent movements (found in much dearer watches) at decent prices!

This is why not liking every watch a brand makes 'on prinicple' is rather foolish - Any maker can have a great watch or two in their range.

If I'm honest, I dislike Rolex's image (Sure the products are fine), but if I really liked any of their watches I'd buy one.

M

Difficult to say, most brands have something in the range that looks okay, even Brietling. I d thought their watches too busy for my liking, but the odd one turns up on the Friday thread that you think, yes I could wear that.

Not a great fan of Hublot and the other big and brash brands that seem to be the domain of Premier League footballs and TV pundits. Those watches are probably well out of budget anyway.

I have kept an open mind over the last few years and tried brands that I wasn't really aware of before joining the forum such as Glycine, Hamilton, Steinhart, Orient, Blancpain and CWC.

Master
    Hublot, Richard Mille, Breitling (except for the SuperOcean on the milanese bracelet). But there is nearly always something I like in most brands - just not the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    And Rolex, Omega etc don't do marketing? You pay for the name.
    Perhaps, but at least with Rolex, their name means that you get a top-quality product.

There's a fantastic looking Gucci on SC right now - the design is right up my street and I'd buy it if it didn't say Gucci on the dial...
    Also Panerai - I just don't "get" them. Loads of different models that all look exactly the same - awful.

Craftsman
    I own just three watches. A Tag, an Omega and a Casio G-Shock. I see they are all on quite a few hate lists and I’m left with a feeling of inadequacy. On the other hand, are there any brands that have NOT been mentioned in this thread or are we all in the hated camp?

Master
    I hope you're thoroughly ashamed of yourself..... ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Banned

What’s your least favourite watch brand ?

As the op can I just emphasise that the word “hate” was never mentioned or intended in my initial post . Just getting an overall view of Watches people have no interest in as a brand/manufacturer overall .

It’s quite interesting as a couple of manufacturers have been mentioned quite consistently including one of my favourites , breitling

Master
    I have thought this for a while, but just had it confirmed.

U-BOAT

Master
    Seiko

Rolex, specifically new Rolex.
    Plodding along doing what they know best and producing the same slightly warmed over pieces year on year. And I really don’t get the Daytona.
    No haute horology or actually trying something new yet they are held up on a pedestal.

I still fancy a non-fat lug sub or a proper air-king though.

Master
    Bell and Ross seem pretty horrid. Hublot are awful. I like Panerai but I owned one and hated it so it put me off. Richard Mille, but I suspect I'm not the target market. Don't like most Breitlings either

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Plodding along doing what they know best and producing the same slightly warmed over pieces year on year. And I really don’t get the Daytona.
    No haute horology or actually trying something new yet they are held up on a pedestal.

I get what you’re saying and to a small degree agree. Part of the Rolex mystique has to be the cast iron residuals. Something that most other brands would kill for.

Master

The 4130 Daytona movement is regarded as one of the best automatic chronograph movements ever made, so why would you need to change it?
    First AFAIK Swiss mechanical watch to offer 5 year warranty with 10 year service periods.
    Ceramic bezels
    Using 904L instead of 316L steel

Yeah no innovation at all

Craftsman
    Any watch on Amazon with the word “Sponsored” on its advert...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    First AFAIK Swiss mechanical watch to offer 5 year warranty with 10 year service periods.
    Ceramic bezels

A bit of wee came out when they went to 904L!

Steinhart

Invicta

Rotary to an extent (still love my old Swiss Commando I was given for my 13th birthday!)

Steinhart again, just because.

Michael Kors

And Steinhart.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    The 4130 Daytona movement is regarded as one of the best automatic chronograph movements ever made, so why would you need to change it?
    Ceramic bezels

They used the El Primero and before that VJ72 in their previous chrono's. I would pick one of these over their in house movement any day.

About every Seiko can run 10+ yrs between servicing. Several brands have 5 yr warranty.

Ceramic bezels --> you know about the breaking, the cost etc?

904L --> my wife is allergic due to the nickel content.

Innovation... Great, all these improvements.

Plus the annoying fanbase, posting about the same basic design so often.

Well, nobody's forcing anyone to buy them.

My friend who got me into this lark in the first place used to sell watches for a living, and he thought Rolex were overpriced tat. I once spent an afternoon with him comparing various Rolex models with other, much cheaper brands. I ended up buying a Longines Hydroconquest.

Since joining here and seeing the love for them, I've tried to re-assess my opinion, thinking perhaps I'd been too easily swayed by my friend's argument.

But no. I've not found one that has a decently made bracelet. If Strapcode or whatever can do solid links for £50, why don't Rolex? They just feel cheap and rattly to me.

The only one I've handled that I liked was the ceramic GMT thingy, blue and black bezel. That felt decently weighty, the finish on the case was superb, and it felt like it could take a knock without showing signs of damage. The bracelet was piss poor though.

And yes, the Daytona. What a horrible looking thing.

My wife has a vintage solid gold Rolex on a Hirsch strap, which she loves. I can see its appeal, but then I also like a couple of her other vintage watches - a Longines of the same era seems just as nice to me.

Oris - never seen one I really like

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Well, nobody's forcing anyone to buy them.
    No, but the thread is about brands people don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by ol1 View Post
    Oris - never seen one I really like
    Me too, other than the Williams F1 models, as I'm a lifelong Williams fan.

Reading through the posts it seems Graham Breitling Bremont Tag and any fashion brand are the most loathed. Strange thread concept tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    For men anything that's yellow gold or two tone. Horrible, just horrible, men shouldn't wear yellow gold unless they're dark skinned.

Richard Mille ghastly up its own a*8e design.

Rolex the watches are fine if a little uninspiring although the Daytona will always be special.

I think it's just the marketing of them that makes me dislike the brand.

We will sell u the watch but we are keeping the warranty card for a year.
    Not for me that tomfoolery.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Wouldn’t say there are any brands I “hate”, definitely certain pieces I am not a fan of

Edit - just reread the thread title (got too involved with comments)

Least favourite Invicta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royal London
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wits View Post
    Richard Mille ghastly up its own a*8e design.

Rolex the watches are fine if a little uninspiring although the Daytona will always be special.

I think it's just the marketing of them that makes me dislike the brand.

We will sell u the watch but we are keeping the warranty card for a year.
    Not for me that tomfoolery.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Who keeps warranty cards for a year after you've bought the watch? That's madness!