closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedy Pro buying

Craftsman

Speedy Pro buying

So the time has finally arrived for me to buy my grail watch - a new Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch

I have been lusting after one for 3 years now so I’m like a kid at Christmas

I have looked at the options and I am want to buy from a UK AD and I want to buy it new - this is a keeper for me and this is the main reason

So through work I can get a 12.5% discount at Ernest Jones by buying vouchers at a discounted rate - this would leave it at £3080

I have some questions

1) Is there any chance of negotiating a discount on RRP with Ernest Jones?

2) If I do negotiate a discount will there be any difficulties then using the vouchers? I can’t see anything in the terms and conditions about this - what I end up with is a gift card essentially fit a value, same as if somebody bought a gift card from them at full price. I recently used this in conjunction with a 3 for 2 offer they had to buy my wife some jewellery and it all worked ok

3) Assuming I cant negotiate a discount on top of the 12.5% could I get this cheaper at another AD? I’m based in Coventry, don’t mind travelling but obviously it has to be worth it including travel

4) Anything to be wary of dealing with Ernest Jones?

Thanks
    Last edited by mk2driver; 17th March 2018 at 23:30.

I got mine at iconic watches.

https://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omeg...30-01-005.html

You could use this price to see if your can get them nearer then use the vouchers.

Failing that, just go straight to iconic.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    I doubt you will get a discount on a voucher purchase. That was my experience. Go to Iconic if not as wisely advised above

I’d just buy from Iconic and not waste any time pissing about with vouchers.

No idea with the voucher job, we bought a watch for the Mrs a while back from Ernest Jones, I just asked what discount could be had, sales guy threw a figure back, worked out at 20% discount, we bought it.

Master
    Speak to WoS at Heathrow T5 to make sure they have the watch you want. Book a flight from LHR to Manchester, buying the watch on the way and get 20% discount.

Good chance you’ll be able to negotiate that same discount without going anywhere near the airport

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice, I’m out and about tomorrow so will call into Ernest Jones for a look and a chat.

If they can get close to Iconic prices then I will take it - doesn’t need to be much discount to coincide with my gift card usage

I see no reason they won’t accept the gift card that I buy with discount - they don’t know that I have bought it with discount, it’s just a gift card with a value to them. Worst case I have to use gift card against RRP - then I might go to Iconic as they will be £150 cheaper

I bought mine through Chronext. It took quite a while, but it was hundreds cheaper than Iconic.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Hackett Watches has one for £2895, but I would try Iconic and Chronext first

https://www.hackettwatches.com/hw/it...el=Speedmaster

Swiss Watches Direct do it for £2,930 with 6 months interest free credit possible too. 4-8 days delivery. https://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk...h_professional

Craftsman
    Thanks all, lots of good options. I will see how it goes with Ernest Jones today and if the deal isn’t good enough then I will order somewhere else

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a voucher scheme available through work however the small print excludes Rolex, Omega etc. The scheme was 14%, which can be beaten with a bit of negotiation with the right dealer.

In my experience (esp. with the Speedy Pro). If you have any relationship at all with an AD they will match the Iconic/Chronext/SwissDirect prices.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I’m out and about tomorrow so will call into Ernest Jones for a look and a chat.

- they don’t know that I have bought it with discount, it’s just a gift card with a value to them...............
    They do know that a voucher scheme from your employer with the 12.5% discount. A work colleague got a lower discount with this gift card than he would have had.

Hope that EJ won't change their policy with restrictions for use on high end brands similar to Goldsmith.

Good luck!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
    They do know that a voucher scheme from your employer with the 12.5% discount. A work colleague got a lower discount with this gift card than he would have had.

Hope that EJ won't change their policy with restrictions for use on high end brands similar to Goldsmith.

Good luck!
    I agree that they know it exists but I’m hoping that I can negotiate and then when paying simply state that it’s a gift card which should not make a difference although I am prepared that it might

As you have mentioned there is no restriction on the EJ scheme as I triple checked that this morning - it also doesn’t state that it can’t be used with other discounts which other promotions do. As such I’m hoping it can be used in conjunction with a negotiated discount

Master
    When I was in the hunt for a Speedy Pro last year I was offered one at £3.000 from two UK Ad's (no vouchers)that I have used in the past and have good dealings with, but I ended up buying mine from a small business called watches by timepiece, I bought it from the Wigan store for £2.695

Anyway, good luck and enjoy your Speedy, I do! :)

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I bought mine through Chronext. It took quite a while, but it was hundreds cheaper than Iconic.
    Currently £2890

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Just to summarise what happened

I made the decision to buy the gift cards, I wanted to buy from an AD

Turns out in the Coventry/Solihull/Leamington the EJ stores don’t carry Omega as the group owns the boutique in the Bullring

So after a trip to Solihull to find out they do not stock Omega, I rang the boutique who told me they could accept the vouchers so I made my way there

Really nice people but unfortunately their system was having issues and wouldn’t accept the gift cards. This happened to somebody else yesterday as well but the lady who spoke to me wasn’t aware of this when she told me they could accept.

At this point I had two options : they would convert the vouchers for me but they couldnt do this today as it needs to go through some process or leave and order online using my vouchers.

The staff were very apologetic for their mistake and to be honest I had a great chat with Lewis about the watch and the history and I really liked him

As such I went with the first option and they have put aside a brand new never been opened version - like most of us on here I wanted one that had not been handled etc

They also gave me a bottle of aftershave as an apology - I would have preferred something watch related but it’s still something

So hopefully they will have the gift cards converted and sorted so I can pick up on Wed/Thurs as I have a weekend away this weekend. They say it can take a week or so but that the last one went through in 3 days and I’ve made them aware why I want it soon (weekend away with my best man and groomsman and their partners, all of which are watch enthusiasts as well and it would be great to have it with me)

It was a little anti-climatic to be honest as I couldn’t leave with it today but unfortunately I did not realise the only EJ in this region with the watch was the boutique and even then that they could not directly accept the voucher

For the forum knowledge though - if you can show the Bullring boutique that you have the ability to buy the discounted gift cards by logging in to the website then they will match the discount without actually having to buy the vouchers. This goes for anything they sell not just the watches so can get used in straps etc. This avoids any potential issues with vouchers.

So all in all the watch is coming my way, purchased from the boutique in the Bullring for £3080. I could have got it cheaper but I’m happy with the choice I made. I’m slightly disappointed it’s not on my wrist today but I’m looking forward to getting it this incoming week. The service from all of those in the boutique was great.
    Last edited by mk2driver; 18th March 2018 at 16:11.

Congrats on the purchase. I bet you can’t wait to get your hands on it. It’s true you could have saved £200 by buying one from chronext but from what I’ve read about them you would have been waiting 4-6 weeks for the watch to arrive. For what it’s worth I think you get a good deal buying from an AD.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Congrats on the purchase. I bet you can’t wait to get your hands on it. It’s true you could have saved £200 by buying one from chronext but from what I’ve read about them you would have been waiting 4-6 weeks for the watch to arrive. For what it’s worth I think you get a good deal buying from an AD.
    I agree and yeah I cannot wait. As mentioned I was disappointed not to be leaving with it and the staff were incredibly apologetic about it as they could see my disappointment. I just hope they can get it all sorted to allow me to pick up before I go away

Craftsman
    Do omega retailers generally offer discount? Is that dependant on model?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ollipekka View Post
    Do omega retailers generally offer discount? Is that dependant on model?
    Given what others have said in this thread I think discounts can be had on some models

Craftsman
    On another note, I love the look of the snoopy strap but not a fan of the price especially after just purchasing the watch

Are there any alternatives that are similar? They don’t have to have a deployment clasp

Master
    On another note, I love the look of the snoopy strap but not a fan of the price especially after just purchasing the watch

Are there any alternatives that are similar? They don’t have to have a deployment clasp
    There is a copy of the black sailcloth Snoopy strap available on ebay made by Bob's watch bands. It isn't maybe quite the quality of the original but it is about 20% of the price so that is forgivable. Here is one on a Speedy Tuesday. It is cut to fit the OEM deployant clasp but I believe the supplier sells a cheap deployant also.

Here is the seller I used: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/waccexshop/

and item: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOB-Marin...EAAOSwhQhY31pT

Last edited by Padders; 18th March 2018 at 19:05.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    There is a copy of the black sailcloth Snoopy strap available on ebay made by Bob's watch bands. It isn't maybe quite the quality of the original but it is about 20% of the price so that is forgivable. Here is one on a Speedy Tuesday. It is cut to fit the OEM deployant clasp but I believe the supplier sells a cheap deployant also.

Here is the seller I used: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/waccexshop/

and item: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOB-Marin...EAAOSwhQhY31pT

Thank you - I have also found one by Zuludiver on Amazon which looks similar if not exactly the same only it doesn’t use a deployment

ZULUDIVER® Waterproof Divers Watch Strap Black & Grey Stitching 20mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01610WA..._cSQRAbPEASV93

Master
    I like that. Cheaper than my option too.

Craftsman
    I like that. Cheaper than my option too.
    I’ve just ordered it, can always return it if it’s not good

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Currently £2890

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes, with at least another hundred off using a voucher code. Usably cheaper, but possibly a lot more hassle than the boutique.

Lots of options...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Yes, with at least another hundred off using a voucher code. Usably cheaper, but possibly a lot more hassle than the boutique.

Lots of options...
    Agreed, I guess it’s about value. With this being my first luxury watch purchase I didn’t want the wait and service that comes with some of the other options. As such I paid more, that’s where I found the right balance of value

Congrats on your purchase OP. Sorry to ask this on your thread but it’s on topic.

I’ve been contemplating getting a new Speedy Pro myself and I was looking at Iconic and Chronext as options.

Does anyone know if you get a manufacturers warranty from Chronext? I only see reference to their own two year warranty.

I can see that Iconic purchases give you a manufacturers warranty.

I’d be inclined to go with Iconic if the offer that over Chronext.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, I guess it’s about value. With this being my first luxury watch purchase I didn’t want the wait and service that comes with some of the other options. As such I paid more, that’s where I found the right balance of value
    At times I probably would have preferred to deal with the local AD. If I still had one I would have bought from them, and no doubt at a similar price to Chronext.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    Congrats on your purchase OP. Sorry to ask this on your thread but it’s on topic.

I’ve been contemplating getting a new Speedy Pro myself and I was looking at Iconic and Chronext as options.

Does anyone know if you get a manufacturers warranty from Chronext? I only see reference to their own two year warranty.

I can see that Iconic purchases give you a manufacturers warranty.

I’d be inclined to go with Iconic if the offer that over Chronext.

You get the full set, if you order a new watch in. If you order a watch that's in stock, then you get what it comes with.

Congrats on your new incoming watch.

Swiss Watches Direct, who I linked to earlier in this thread, say all their watches come with manufacturers warranty

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I’d just buy from Iconic and not waste any time pissing about with vouchers.
    Who needs vouchers when you can rip members off to the tune of a grand an half.

Master

So all in all the watch is coming my way, purchased from the boutique in the Bullring for £3080. I could have got it cheaper but I’m happy with the choice I made. I’m slightly disappointed it’s not on my wrist today but I’m looking forward to getting it this incoming week. The service from all of those in the boutique was great.
    Well done and enjoy the watch...I have one and wear it on the NATO exclusively, it will not be sold...honest ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    Well done and enjoy the watch...I have one and wear it on the NATO exclusively, it will not be sold...honest ;)
    Nice, I will be starting to wear mine on the bracelet, I like watches on bracelets

The Speedy is so versatile though that I do imagine having multiple straps

Craftsman
    Well today is pick up day so will be going this evening to pick it up

I have to say the staff at the Omega Boutique in the Bullring have been exceptional

From personal experience, don't use Chronext if you have a deadline like a birthday/ Christmas...they will get the item in but add a couple of months to the timescale.

I’ve just ordered it, can always return it if it’s not good
    Did you get this strap? I’d be interested in your thoughts on it as I am considering one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    From personal experience, don't use Chronext if you have a deadline like a birthday/ Christmas...they will get the item in but add a couple of months to the timescale.

I’m still not 100% clear if you get an Omega warranty with Chronext or if it’s only covered by them?

With the discount code it’s a few £100 cheaper to buy from them than Iconic at the mo.

Master
    Chronext are shambolic. I would spend the extra couple of hundred and go to Iconic.

Chronext are shambolic. I would spend the extra couple of hundred and go to Iconic.
    That’s a shame.