closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Subaru Outback 2.5 SE Premium 2015 onwards

Subaru Outback 2.5 SE Premium 2015 onwards

I have searched the forum about this vehicle before posting. We test drove one today and will have a longer test drive this Tuesday. Are there any owners here, past or present, that would provide feedback? Any information will be gratefully received.
    We are not high mileage users, 12k is the norm per annum. This normally includes at least one 1.6k mile round trip to the Alps and 400 mile round trip to Beamish from Solihull. My boy racer days are over and I am happy to run a vehicle on Cross Climates all year round.
    Nigel

Blog Entries
    Nothing bad about this Subaru. In fact, I dare say it's one of the best cars around. However, it's pretty thirsty compared with 2WD brands/models. but with 12K/yr. the difference between a thirsty 4x4 and a less thirsty 2WD isn't a real financial problem, I reckon. I am not a fan of cross climates. I drove a BMW 525 on CC's last Thursday and I found them to be noisy. But, that can be a brand issue (dunno what brand was used on the BMW). Summer T's and Winter T's would be my advice. Anyway, this might help: https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/car-tyres#type=type_2

Menno

Thanks Menno, I am using the Cross Climates on a Ford Edge at the moment and I haven't noticed too much noise, but I am a little bit deaf!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    Thanks Menno, I am using the Cross Climates on a Ford Edge at the moment and I haven't noticed too much noise, but I am a little bit deaf!
    In that case! I come to think about it that Db's only don't say much; it has also to do with the shape of the inside of the fender, the suspension bushes etc. The (wrong) alignment of the wheels is one of the most important 'sound producers'. So perhaps my example of the BMW isn't a good one

M

I take some reassurance from the fact that you haven't highlighted any stand out faults. I accept that it may be thirsty and not the quickest, but the vehicle handled mixed driving today, by myself and wife, really very well.
    The test drive included a very near head on with a jeep on the wrong side of the road, but my wife avoided a head on owing to the vehicles systems, handling and her reactions. We would almost certainly crashed in the Edge.

I can't help with the Outback, but I ran 3 Impreza Turbo estates back in the day. The only car I've ever bought more than one of, in fact. Fast, comfortable, reliable - nothing not to like.

Cheers,

Plug

On my second Outback. Admittedly it is the 3.0 6cyl, by I get an average of 31mpg. Not bad for perm 4 wheel drive and 250bhp.
    Great cars.
    Last edited by gerard; 17th March 2018 at 23:04.

Thanks for the replies.
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    On my second Outback. Admittedly it is the 3.0 6cyl, by I get an average of 31mpg. Not bad for perm 4 wheel drive and 250bhp.
    Great cars.
    I have the same engine in my Legacy Spec B and I’m averaging 16mpg! Is that a reflection of Manchester traffic or my heavy right foot?!

OP - Subarus are great cars. With the right tyres snow will never bother you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I have the same engine in my Legacy Spec B and I’m averaging 16mpg! Is that a reflection of Manchester traffic or my heavy right foot?!
    Holly crap....my partner had a Spec B. Never took it out of Sport (not Sport #) and averaged 28.5 mpg (BMW 3.0d 530 in the firm only got 26mpg) must be the traffic. I'm on country roads, dual carriagways and off road too.

We do like a bit of snow!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tempfort; 17th March 2018 at 23:33.

Holly crap....my partner had a Spec B. Never took it out of Sport (not Sport #) and averaged 28.5 mpg (BMW 3.0d 530 in the firm only got 26mpg) must be the traffic. I'm on country roads, dual carriagways and off road too.
    Mine is a manual...so you’d expect it to be better! The best I’ve ever seen is 29mpg on a long run. I used to average 18mpg...but it seems to have dropped recently. I do like to rev it...

I really like the same car in 2.0d - I’ve had a few test drives in it, and it is a possible future purchase. I’d like them to upgrade the diesel though, but I could live with it. The CVT is probably the best I’ve used.
    It's just a matter of time...

Was considering but too thirsty for my likes

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I really like the same car in 2.0d - I’ve had a few test drives in it, and it is a possible future purchase. I’d like them to upgrade the diesel though, but I could live with it. The CVT is probably the best I’ve used.
    Thanks for the replies. We were quite taken with the CVT, it performed better than expected after reading most reviews.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

They can be a bit thirsty - but the CVT should help that - make sure the timing belts have been done and that the flywheel doesn't make any squeaky noises.

We have the Legacy equivalent and think it's great.

A note about the petrol - in the Subaru we fill up every couple of weeks, costs about £65 and we get 320-450 miles on a tank, depending on traffic and road conditions. Before the Subaru we had a manual Avensis, which we used to fill up every couple of weeks and get about 320-450 miles from a tank. The Subaru probably does use more petrol, but as we don't track it closely, we didn't notice any difference.

The CVT is great as well, lovely and smooth, no jerky changes and not too noisy either.

As they don't make the Legacy any more we have said on more than one occasion that our next car would be an Outback.

Thanks again for all the replies. I have booked a longer test drive for Tuesday and will report back.
    Nigel

Master
    I ran a 3.0 6cyl Outback from 2010-2013 and with the exception of the car I have now it was the best car i have ever owned. In those close on 3yrs I did 70k miles and never was it serviced, i know i know just never got around to it and the dam thing kept going!

Was thirsty at an average of 23mpg but a wonderful car in all conditions, snow and ice it was superb.

Cant get my head around the looks of the current model otherwise i would happily consider again.

Currently i am a owner of a levorg... not as big a engine - but i have had it since new - no issues in the first 2 years - just servicing.

Done 30k miles - still on the first set ot tyres , brakes hardly worn (mostly motorway/a road driving) - nothing to complain about satnav and sound system work well. I just would like more sound proofing in the cabin - bit other than that all good !

Cheers

Matt

Apparently Subaru have stopped development on the diesel engine, to concentrate on hybrid technology. Its been fazed out, and is not available on the new XV and Impreza which subaru launched in the last couple of months.

We have a 4 year old diesel Forester from new. Its done 44k and never had a thing go wrong with it. Its got crossclimate plus on it, which I've been impressed with. Especially in the recent snow.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mijyou; 21st March 2018 at 23:48.

Thanks again for all the replies. I spent Tuesday afternoon as a parts delivery driver for the Subaru dealer, chauffeuring the dealership owner around. It gave me the chance for an extended test drive and have bought a petrol Outback as a result of it.
    Nigel

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    Apparently Subaru have stopped development on the diesel engine,
    It is even "worse" than that - Subaru have said that they won't make any more diesels and the UK has sufficient stock to see them through to the end of 2018 and perhaps into Q1/2019 and after that - zilch.

A friend of mine ran a 2014 Legacy diesel for a couple of years - no serious problems although he said it could do with more power and the interior was a bit low-rent compared with other cars in the price bracket. Very roomy though and it had all the bits you could need such as heated leather seats, HiD lamps etc. I don't think it ever saw any snow and I never had any feedback regarding softroading, so I suspect it lived on tarmac all the time. Tyre life wasn't brilliant and because his local Subaru dealer in Norfolk closed down and moved to Vauxhall, it meant a long haul for any spares and he had to rely on a local garage for servicing, although they did a good job apparently.

Blog Entries
    Thanks again for all the replies. I spent Tuesday afternoon as a parts delivery driver for the Subaru dealer, chauffeuring the dealership owner around. It gave me the chance for an extended test drive and have bought a petrol Outback as a result of it.
    Nigel
    Congrats!

Craftsman
    I've had a Legacy 4 CAM Estate and an Outback previously but nothing that recent. The 4 CAM was excellent, very fast.
    I had the 2.5 Auto petrol Outback and took it over to France for holidays for a couple of years. Nice car but I found it quite underpowered when fully loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I've had a Legacy 4 CAM Estate and an Outback previously but nothing that recent. The 4 CAM was excellent, very fast.
    I had the 2.5 Auto petrol Outback and took it over to France for holidays for a couple of years. Nice car but I found it quite underpowered when fully loaded.
    Hopefully we will have it in time for a fully loaded trip to the French Alps, I will be able to report back as to how it performs, and how altitude affects it. It is a 2018 model update and hopefully will be fully run in by the time we return. I'm hoping that we don't have to fit headlight adapters and that it is just an option in the menu for continental driving.
    Nigel

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't be too worried about power on mountain roads. Lots of cars lack power on those steep hills. At least, that's what we think when we're going uphill!. And let's be honest: everything you're familiar with on flat roads, feels underpowered on these hills! We, here in Holland are not used to a hill higher than 90 m. So, we're really impressed when the Alps are on the horizon. And still everybody who owns a Subaru over here praises the power and traction (especially with a caravan uphill)

More than that: it's only for 2 weeks/year. Finally: when they're really underpowered, these cars would not sell as hot buns in Switzerland and Austria.

Don't worry, enjoy the car.

Menno

THIS is underpowered!

Last edited by thieuster; 22nd March 2018 at 16:48.

Thanks Menno, having towed a huge German caravan in the Alps during a ski season, we have seen a few off the side of the road. Luckily we used an Isuzu Trooper with suitable tyres, I think we could have used it and saved on lift passes!
    I am quite sure a 2.5 petrol will be fine [especially as we no longer tow] and am interested to see how the CVT performs, up and down the "hills".
    I have been informed that we will not to have to mask the headlights as the beam is very flat. If we get flashed then I will have to resort to tape!
    Nigel

Blog Entries
    What are the odds that you drive at night in France? Most tourists only use the road during daytime hours. Especially with the daylight saving time next month and Summer approaching, the chance that you'll be driving a car at night in France is rather small. Having said that, with our LHD cars in Holland, we're not aware how this turns out for RHD cars.

Let's assume you're planning a trip in the dark; certain webshops over here sell pieces of self-adhesive film for the headlights of LHD cars going to the UK. You can even buy them when you book a trip on a ferry to the UK. I suppose that it's the other way around as well.

You mentioned the CTV in the mountains. I have no experience myself, but I think it will go like this (as always: please correct me when I am wrong).
    • Subaru CVT's must do something right, otherwise, these cars wouldn't be so popular in the Alp Countries. The CVT is more or less self-learning.
    • When using cruise control, the car will try to maintain that speed uphill. That can lead to a high revving engine.
    • I would suggest you choose the revs with the highest torque = around 4000 rpm; the car will choose the speed that in sync with that rpm. Can be (e.g.) 80km/hr. You need to choose if it's safe to continue that speed (not when others do 130 km/hr uphill off course)

The Outback and its CVT is all about comfort. Try to adjust your attitude to that. Sit back and enjoy the scenery! You mentioned the Isuzu. A wonderful car, strong as an ox. But an Outback is lightyears ahead of the rather rudimentary car!

M

I think the relaxed manner in which the 2.5/CVT performs, is what has convinced me to buy it. There is the option to put it into manual and use preset so called gears, but like you say , there is a reason they sell so well in the mountains.
    I am, quite excited to see how it performs, and that's a first in a long time of driving in all weathers/seasons in the Alps over the last twenty years. Gone are our days of Calais to Bourg Saint Maurice in 7.5 hrs!
    We do quite a bit of dark hours driving, visiting friends, family and the journey itself.
    Previous Skoda Superbs had a menu option for the lights, on our present Edge the lights are so poor that we don't blind anyone. I have never bothered with the pre formed sticky deflectors, I just find out which bits to block.
    Anyway, visiting the little family run dealership in the morning to sort out paperwork.
    I think I am talking myself into a short report and photo shoot for this under the radar car here in the UK. [only those who live in the back of beyond, or are over fifty and now hate driving will be vaguely interested.]
    Nigel
    Last edited by tempfort; 23rd March 2018 at 08:50.

I think the relaxed manner in which the 2.5/CVT performs, is what has convinced me to buy it. There is the option to put it into manual and use preset so called gears, but like you say , there is a reason they sell so well in the mountains.
    I am, quite excited to see how it performs, and that's a first in a long time of driving in all weathers/seasons in the Alps over the last twenty years. Gone are our days of Calais to Bourg Saint Maurice in 7.5 hrs!
    We do quite a bit of dark hours driving, visiting friends, family and the journey itself.
    Previous Skoda Superbs had a menu option for the lights, on our present Edge the lights are so poor that we don't blind anyone. I have never bothered with the pre formed sticky deflectors, I just find out which bits to block.
    Any way, visiting the little family run dealership in the morning to sort out paperwork.
    I think I am talking myself into a short report and photo shoot for this under the radar car here in the UK. [only those who live in the back of beyond, or are over fifty and now hate driving will be vaguely interested.]
    Nigel
    What dealership are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Trevor at Driveinautocentres-Subaru.co.uk

Craftsman
    I think all the spec B cars were 6 speed manual , the auto had the same engine but the suspension set up was different.

Trevor at Driveinautocentres-Subaru.co.uk
    I thought it might be, when you mentioned Solihull and a small family dealership! Just had my Forester serviced there for the first time last month. Can't fault them. Best customer service I've had in years.

Master
    Blog Entries

Nowt Wrong With Subarus (entertaining video)

Nowt wrong with Subarus!

https://youtu.be/TmBibFdMIRU

Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    I thought it might be, when you mentioned Solihull and a small family dealership! Just had my Forester serviced there for the first time last month. Can't fault them. Best customer service I've had in years.

They are a breath of fresh air, having visited quite a few various branded dealerships I can happily recommend them. Turns out we have registered the first vehicle of its kind in the country pre release, and they are far more excited than me!
    They are going the extra mile swapping out tyres etc. and are collecting it from the port on a low loader to make sure they can prep it for our trip.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by mffw View Post
    I think all the spec B cars were 6 speed manual , the auto had the same engine but the suspension set up was different.

Spec B also came with the Prodrive auto box with "i" setting...same as my 3.0R Outback. The B stands for Bilsten shocks and was avalable with auto.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...cy-3.0r-spec.b
    Last edited by gerard; 23rd March 2018 at 22:56.

^^^ that’s my understanding too.

As an Aussie, I am a big fan of Subaru and after moving to the UK and having fun in a couple of M5's I found myself hankering for something more fun. So I have come full circle and are back in a Subaru. Got this S402 waiting to turn 10yo so I can get it registered in the UK. Its great to see the Legacy being recognised for the great car it is in amongst a tsunami of Germaness

image2 (1) (Large) by Simon Gee, on Flickr

OK now I’m jealous. Tell us the details please!

Edit: just found your PistonHeads post....
    Last edited by Kirk280; 23rd March 2018 at 23:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    OK now I’m jealous. Tell us the details please!

Edit: just found your PistonHeads post....
    Bit of info and some more pics on PH, just the wait now

Craftsman
    Spec B also came with the Prodrive auto box with "i" setting...same as my 3.0R Outback. The B stands for Bilsten shocks and was avalable with auto.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...cy-3.0r-spec.b
    Was that when the facelift version came out in 2006?

Quote Originally Posted by mffw View Post
    Was that when the facelift version came out in 2006?
    Yes 2007 model. Mine is the last of that shape on a 59 plate. Struggle with looks and bulkiness of the later ones. Also no more 6cyl :-(