closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 100m water resistance with push in stem?

Craftsman

100m water resistance with push in stem?

How does this work then? Really good seals inside?
    Just cleaned the inside crystal of a Smiths Seafire PRS-37 100M and the case seal is one beast of a seal, not a thin O-ring. The battery is held in really well and the movement is screwed and pinned into the case with retainers, yet the stem just pushes back in, although with several gentle clicks and locating gentle feeling sensations. Time adjust and hacking all work fine.

Either one or two rubber gaskets (one inside the crown and/or one on the crown tube). Usually on the crown but the case crown tube can also house a gasket as well...

At this point the glass should also have a plastic gasket and the case back should be screw down and also have a rubber gasket.
    Last edited by ordo; 17th March 2018 at 18:52.

Craftsman
    My Speedmaster has 100m water resistance and a push in stem.

With new/good gaskets it is surprising which models will pass a decent water proof test.

I remember the Original Tag Heuer F1 series all came with push in crowns with 200m WR. I think there’s a general misunderstanding about screw in crowns - the screw in aspect is really just to avoid the crown popping out when in the water, it’s the gaskets doing all the work. I partly blame Rolex advertising - ‘acts like the hatch in a submarine’ I seem to remember. I don’t think you really need a screw down crown at all, if they made them tiny as opposed to macho and chunky, I don’t see how you could really pop one open unintentionally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Fortis B42 cosmo'/Marinemaster chrono's have push in crowns & are rated at 200mts

200 meters WR, non-screwed pushers.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Most screw down crown watches have single o rings and are not going to be more water resistant than a non screw down crown IF the crown doesn’t get messed with! A lot of the purpose of screw down is preventing movement which can compromise it IMO

The seal in (for example) a Seiko 6309 goes around the outside of the pendant tube, the screwing down doesn’t exert any extra pressure for the seal to tube seal but does prevent any movement and potential for allowing water past. The early Seiko divers (6217-800/1 & 6105-8000/9 had non locking crowns, the 6105-8110 went on to have a locking crown but displayed (on the dial) no more water resistance than the 6105-8000/9. You’d imagine Seiko would have bragged on extra resistance if they could have? But that could have been down to the dial production (print)

Obviously you have serious exceptions like the Rolex crown seals with triple seals and the screwing down actually creates one of these seals because that one is being clamped.