closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Your honest opinions please.. Leave as is? Or Re-dial?

Your honest opinions please.. Leave as is? Or Re-dial?

Hello! :D

I've just put my Zodiac through a full movement service. I requested that the dial was to be left as it is, as well as the plexi not being changed.

But it HAS got rather a lot of character.. Well, maybe too much! :D

Now the movement has been overhauled, I'm now kind of swaying towards the re-dial route.. What are your honest opinions please.

Also, I have no clue as to what strap to attach to it. Your opinions on that would also be greatly appreciated. :)

The Seawolf:

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I would leave it as it is - yes it has patina but it’s honest character and goes with the unpolished case.

Personally I would put that on a tan suede strap - almost calling out the patina by matching the dial spotting to the strap... :-)

Something like this:

http://www.vintagestraps.it/leather-watch-straps/vs-hand-made-suede-beige-leather-strap/

The only worry I would have with redialing (provided that it's being done by an expert) is getting the text right. Not the nicest patina I would say but it could have been worse...

I couldn't wear it like that. Is there no way of cleaning/improving dial w/o full re-dial?

Journeyman
    I got this image off the web of a dial with no damage.
    I reckon it would get worn a lot more with the dial restored. No point it being interesting if it remains in the watch box!

Master
    Depends what you like in a watch I guess. Personally I would get a new dial as I like my watches looking new. Maybe ask for the old dial as well and if you choose you can revert.

Master
    Would it be worth trying to clean it first? Might come up to an acceptable level?

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, greatly appreciated. :)

I think cleaning it may damage it. I'm leaning more towards just accepting it as is and hopefully get some enjoyment out of it. :D

Blog Entries
    Leaving it as is would be great if it was a museum piece or had significantly more value. If the patina is what you like about it fine but I'd get the dial refinished and the case cleaned up a bit and wear it more. It could have another life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post

I've just put my Zodiac through a full movement service. I requested that the dial was to be left as it is, as well as the plexi not being changed.

Now the movement has been overhauled, I'm now kind of swaying towards the re-dial route.. What are your honest opinions please.

Also, I have no clue as to what strap to attach to it. Your opinions on that would also be greatly appreciated. :)

The Seawolf:

I like the zodiacs I have one myself. They are far from Rolex Sub or Seamaster sm300 territory though ( who cares ) but what I mean is there’s not a massive potential write off for a improved dial or messed up refurb.
    Therefore if be tempted to get it restored and bring it back to its beautiful self .

Leave it as it is and set up a comprehensive set of saved searches on Ebay. Sit back and wait for weeks or possibly years and I guarantee a parts donor will come up at some stage. I don't believe these are particularly rare it will happen. The problem with redials is you can never go back but if you have a donor you always have options.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Leave it as it's totally unique.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Get that dial restored!

If it was a classic car you wouldn't leave the paintwork in that state, or drive around sat on mildewed seats looking at a splintered dashboard with a smashed speedometer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Leave it as it is and set up a comprehensive set of saved searches on Ebay. Sit back and wait for weeks or possibly years and I guarantee a parts donor will come up at some stage. I don't believe these are particularly rare it will happen. The problem with redials is you can never go back but if you have a donor you always have options.
    And this answer if you are patient enough.

It's only original once as the phrase goes.

Craftsman
    It’ll end up like Triggers broom.

https://youtu.be/BUl6PooveJE

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    And this answer if you are patient enough.
    I have waited years for some dials to come up and I'm still waiting for some others.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would want to wear it so repair or replace is what I would opt for.

Craftsman
    Leave as is, if you want a new watch buy one. That watch looks great.

Well.. After much consideration, I've decided on this strap:

(£10.99 -Amazon.)

Grand Master
    I would definitely have that dial refinished, but that could make it contrast too much with the aged look of the case. It’s a shame no- one can refinish dials to replicate light ageing, but I don’t think anyone does this. It’s a brave man who gets one refinished then tries to artificially age it, but that would be the ideal compromise.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post

The Seawolf:

Restoration or not is always a difficult choice, but personally I'd get it restored.

Master

Don’t do it!!

I’ve had quite a few zodiacs and for me the patina on the dial and bezel can never be replicated, so for me I would leave it!!
    I’ve had one or two with redone dials and new bezels etc and even a minter with case and box which were all nicebut my two battered ones with yellowish stained dials genuinely looked the best by far and got the most comments!!

Enjoy!
    Chris

Master
    restore it

I'm in the same position. Brendan has just fully serviced my Citizen Month Dater but the dial could not be cleaned up any better. The factory fresh dial is so much brighter but I doubt I could find one anyway and as it's a 1979s watch, maybe it should show its age.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Id leave it. It's a nice thing as it is. Redialling would make it samey samey and a bad job would leave it discarded.

Master
    Redial for me.

Journeyman
    I think the suggestion of looking out for a replacement dial is spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I love originality on a vintage watch. By having it refinished you remove year-end quite a bit of value too.
    Remember, You can always have one refinished in the future if you change your mind, but you can't un-refinish it.

Craftsman
    Restore it if you want to wear it, this is not just patina, the dial is damaged and frankly speaking doesn't look nice at all. What's the point of having an all original watch if it is not wearable?

Craftsman
    Agree that a redial is probably necessary!

Leave it.

It is only original once and repainted dials usually look wrong.

I bet in real life it looks fine compared to the hyper magnified pic that is showing.

I've put up pics of watches that looked perfect and under camera mag they came out looking a bit scruffy!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Leave it as it is, wear it as it is. It's taken the watches lifetime to look like that, and you can't replace that patina. If you can't handle the angst then send it to me and I will wear it, I'll even pay the postage . . .

;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Leave it as it is, wear it as it is. It's taken the watches lifetime to look like that, and you can't replace that patina. If you can't handle the angst then send it to me and I will wear it, I'll even pay the postage . . .

;-)
    I'll try that excuse when there's some decorating to do!

Master
    I wouldn't consider having the dial refinished/repainted, but I would keep a lookout for a replacement dial. Close but not quite:
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zodiac-Sea-...05?_mwBanner=1

I’d have it cleaned up or redialled as it looks pretty gross at the moment imo!

Well.. It's back and keeping very good time.. But I've just tried to wear it and it's far too small for my wrist.

So.. If anyone would like to make me an offer I can't refuse to purchase this little Zodiac watch, please pm me. ;)

I would DEFINITELY re-dial your Zodiac. It does NOT have a nice "patina." It suffers from cancer spots! While you're at it, apply a little Poly Watch to the crystal to clean it up a bit. You'll wear it proudly instead of hiding it under your cuff (or in a drawer!).

I hate redials usually but in this case it makes sense...because you aren't destroying value or history, but are doing something that means the watch will actually get worn...the biggest travesty is not a radial but denying a watch wrist time because you don't like it. Either sell it to someone who likes its rather ugly "patina" or give it a new lease of life on your wrist and enjoy!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app