closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice re simple CCTV set up?

Advice re simple CCTV set up?

I am looking for some advice regarding a simple outdoor CCTV set up.
    I can mount the camera on my garage wall and have access to power.
    I am after something utterly idiot proof and simple that can be connected wirelessly and uses iPad/iPhone to view.
    Had a good look around Amazon but would appreciate some real world input.
    Thanks

How many cameras in total do you want?

Blog Entries
    I have this setup https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arlo-Smart-...=arlo+3+camera

Very happy with it, easy set up with email/text alerts and can view live on iphone.
    I'm a total I.T idiot and I found it very easy to install

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    How many cameras in total do you want?
    Just the one.

As above the arlo gets great reviews in that case. Sold as a self install too with way to use apps.

Craftsman
    Assuming you have power in the garage, something like this maybe? https://www.time2technology.com/en/o...iABEgIBWvD_BwE
    If your router is too far away to pick up the signal, perhaps some kind of WiFi extender over the mains?

Thanks for the replies.
    I have seen that Nest do an outdoor camera with subscription service. Has anyone got one of these?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    I have this setup https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arlo-Smart-...=arlo+3+camera

Very happy with it, easy set up with email/text alerts and can view live on iphone.
    I'm a total I.T idiot and I found it very easy to install
    Have the Arlo setup and work well. Also have the Ring Floodlight Cams and Spotlight cams which have 2 way talk and built in sirens you can trigger remotely. Both systems easy to use.

Arlo cameras look neat but having to possibly get up a ladder to recharge them doesn't seem convenient.

Advice re simple CCTV set up?

Have a look at the Netatmo presence - I have the indoor version but it sounds ideal for what you want. Maplins have 10% off too at the moment.

https://www.netatmo.com/product/security/presence

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I think that the Nest Outdoor (3MP) is the best of the DIY cameras for a novice. The only drawbacks are that it needs hardwired power, which is tough for some DIYers but works for your case, and it requires a subscription to get the most usage, Nest does not work with most 3rd party vendors.

If you were a little more technology confident, you can get more camera for your dollar from Hikvision or Dahua (and all of their partners). I really like the Hikvision DS-2CD2T85FWD. Its supported right in Synology Surveillance Station, so you don't need a fancy or difficult software solution for recording. I prefer both Milestone and Blue Iris as a software NVR, but that's a little more advanced.

The Hikvision DS-2CD2T85FWD is available online, shipped direct from China, for extraordinarily low pricing considering is capabilities (4K/8MP - 3840 x 2160, and decent, but not spectacular low light performance).

Last edited by jcm3; 17th March 2018 at 18:09.

Master
    Just fitted a second ring floodlight camera today very pleased with them just replaced a couple of outside lights we had took a whole 15 minutes to instal and setup ( I am an electcian though) but simple enough cracking picture and the 2 way audio means I can abuse the Mrs from a safe distance when she’s hanging out washing etc ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    I have seen that Nest do an outdoor camera with subscription service. Has anyone got one of these?
    I’ve got one but only as I had it for Christmas, I wouldn’t buy one as they are too expensive and require the subscription to be of any real use. A bloke at work has an A Zone 4 camera wireless system with hard drive recorder for just over £200 that is quite impressive.

Craftsman
    If its out of wi-fi range then an Arlo Go could be an option, not so cheap though as it runs on the mobile phone network, so you need to pay Vodafone £5 a month too. I have one in the garden, with the optional solar panel. Its completely standalone and self charging too.

Craftsman
    Plenty of hd kits out there with a DVR recorder for £200-£300
    Option to add up to 4 camers and all work on P2P for smartphone/iPad connection=simple to set up.
    Personally I would go for something from hikvision for the home user (Hiwatch)
    Good quality.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a FLIR Lorex system from Maplins (remember them!). I’m no electrician or engineer, but fitted it myself in our home Pilates Studio down the bottom of the garden. I’ve taken a screen grab just now on my iPhone which shows it tipping down with snow and pitch black, it’s great quality; obviously even better during daylight and works great on my iPhone via the App. Could be worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I have a FLIR Lorex system from Maplins (remember them!). I’m no electrician or engineer, but fitted it myself in our home Pilates Studio down the bottom of the garden. I’ve taken a screen grab just now on my iPhone which shows it tipping down with snow and pitch black, it’s great quality; obviously even better during daylight and works great on my iPhone via the App. Could be worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Lorex ain't bad at all for the money, and you cannot ask for much better pictures for that price.
    And if only using a couple of cameras the 1tb hard drive should give a fair bit of record time.
    Decent pictures them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Arlo cameras look neat but having to possibly get up a ladder to recharge them doesn't seem convenient.
    Thats true but its about every 6 months on mine. One of the reasons I keep the Arlo as well as the mains wired Ring cameras is the fact you can move the Arlo simply to another spot if needed. Works well having both for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    The Lorex ain't bad at all for the money, and you cannot ask for much better pictures for that price.
    And if only using a couple of cameras the 1tb hard drive should give a fair bit of record time.
    Decent pictures them.

The Lorex gear is OEM'd by a Chinese company named Dahua, and the gear is reasonably good, especially when considering the cost. The 1080p camera system is currently their lowest cost option, actual resolution is 1920x1080 or roughly 2.1MP. The next step in Lorex is what they call "2K" 2048x1536, or roughly 3MP. Their best systems include 4K cameras, 4096x2160 or 8MP.

Dahua also OEMs equipment under these names as well:

ADT
    Advidia
    Amcrest
    Ameta
    Annke
    Aposonic
    Bosch (DVRs)
    Bticino
    Cantek
    CCTV Security Pros
    DH Vision
    Dotix
    DVR Unlimited
    eLine
    FLIR / Lorex
    GSS
    Honeywell
    IC Realtime
    Impath Networks
    Inaxsys
    IndigoVision
    Infinity CCTV
    Innekt
    IntelBras
    KBVision
    Legrand
    Lumixen
    Maxron
    Panasonic
    People Fu
    Q-See
    Raster
    Rhodium
    Riva
    RVI
    Saxco
    SavvyTech
    Security Camera King (Elite)
    SecurityTronix
    Sentry360
    Speco
    Techpro
    ToughDog
    Tyco Holis
    Tyco Illustra Essentials
    Ura
    VIP Vision
    Watashi
    Watchnet
    Winic

Some good options out there.
    For basic ease of use I am leaning toward nest as there is now a low cost (£1 a week) 5 day storage through the app and the camera is easy to install and looks ok.
    At less than £200 all in I think it’s where I’m heading.
    Thanks for the input, the forum really is a fount of knowledge.