closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sales corner. First unhappy deal in over fifteen years. Have I expected too much?

What's the point of complaining about a PM that may or may not have been read and complaining about replies on this thread when you haven't posted the PM? How do we know what you wrote? Or are you just angry you were silly enough to wear a vintage chronograph in the rain?
    "A man of little significance"

When using Tapatalk, it seems to register people as online (as they're in Tapatalk) even when not viewing the actual forum (ie on a another site through Tapatalk). Given the time line, it's less than 24hrs since the message was sent. I don't think it's unreasonable to wait a day or two for a reply.

I understand the annoyance, and I think that there's a fair few that would contribute something towards the service cost in this situation. But it purely be on a goodwill basis, as there's no obligation if the watch is functional when received.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I sold a new motorbike panel on a bike forum, and got a PM from the buyer, saying he was disappointed that there was a small chip in the paint on one edge.

Whilst I had not examined it closely before sending (as it was new) – I sent him a reply saying that I would refund him the purchase price now, and for him to send it back and I would cover that cost also, and to accept my apologies

Reply came back that – he was keeping it as they were very scarce.

I sense that my initial thought of “he just wants some money off” was correct.

Seems to be prevalent these days – buy something then try to get some money back.

Maybe the seller here - thought the same when he got the PM?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Actually, I'd be pretty miffed if I went out in a shower for a few seconds and the watch had condensation and/or droplets under the crystal as a result. I'm also not sure that I'd regard that as serviceable regardless of whether the watch is vintage.

If I was the seller I'd certainly contribute towards the cost of the service.
    This is also my opinion. I would certainly contribute to resolving the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    If the watch was in good working order until it was in a rain shower if only for a few seconds why should seller have to pay anything at all? Sold in good condition, damaged in your ownership. Maybe I am missing something?
    Agree with you 100% !

Why should the seller reply to you with any urgency if your asking him to pay for something he shouldn’t be even considering paying for! Harsh but true!

"This antique you sold me had some internal damage, I discovered it when I exposed it to water and then disassembled the entire thing and fixed it. Now it needs the attention of an expert and you should pay half."

Not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    If the watch was in good working order until it was in a rain shower if only for a few seconds why should seller have to pay anything at all? Sold in good condition, damaged in your ownership. Maybe I am missing something?
    This is my thoughts.
    To be quite honest, you admit causing the problem “only for a few seconds” is a few seconds too much for water Ingres. You should have just taken it on the chin and sorted it yourself.
    Making a post like this just highlights your own naive thought processes.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    "This antique you sold me had some internal damage, I discovered it when I exposed it to water and then disassembled the entire thing and fixed it. Now it needs the attention of an expert and you should pay half."

Not likely.
    If you had taken the time to read my posts properly, you wouldn't write such infantile hogwash. You obviously know nothing about watches/watchmaking/horology. Take some time to learn before pronouncing judgement on something you quite clearly know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by doug darter View Post
    The law states (and this applies to new and second hand goods) that an item sold MUST BE FIT FOR PURPOSE
    Is this correct for private sales under the current consumer rights act? A seller doesn’t have to disclose defects but must not misrepresent.

My own thoughts are: In a closed community like this, the objective should be that both buyer and seller are satisfied.

In my own experience: I’ve not noticed a difference in the proportion of watches in good condition versus defective in trades done with dealers, on fora or Ebay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    This is my thoughts.
    To be quite honest, you admit causing the problem “only for a few seconds” is a few seconds too much for water Ingres. You should have just taken it on the chin and sorted it yourself.
    Making a post like this just highlights your own naive thought processes.

Read my post above.

The same goes for the pair of you.

You have absolutely no idea, and clearly no idea about watches, their construction, and expectation of use.

Also a reply to your pm should have happened, but tell me aren’t there reasons this may not have happened? An example is a full inbox?

I feel that in the light of the edit I've made to my OP, that I don't wis to make any futher additions to this thread. It now seems pointless. Others may do so if they wish.

One of the reasons I would never buy an old (vintage watch) Cant see the point in paying many hundreds of pounds for a watch you cant even go out in the rain. I would not be happy that this had happened to me. Was the watch originally waterproof?
    Last edited by stevecross; 17th March 2018 at 15:40.

I guess we're all different with regards to what we would do given the circumstances but I for one would at least offer something. Tony's comments are how I see this.
    If I had just purchased a watch I would expect to be able to wear it without worrying, it could have easily been worn in a heavy rain storm....where's the difference?

Master
    Blog Entries
    The idea that water has ingressed simply by walking around is also pretty unlikely. It's far more likely that humidity already in the watch condensed out when going from a warm house out into the cold.

This being the case it would be perfectly understandable that the seller have no issues himself.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 17th March 2018 at 15:45.

I feel that in the light of the edit I've made to my OP, that I don't wis to make any futher additions to this thread. It now seems pointless. Others may do so if they wish.
    In light of this post and Doug's addition in the OP, wouldn't it be nice if this thread was left alone?

Not likely, the rabid dogs have smelt blood.

Wishing Doug all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    One of the reasons I would never buy an old (vintage watch) Cant see the point in paying many hundreds of pounds for a watch you cant even go out in the rain. I would not be happy that this had happened to me.

To be honest, that's dependant upon the watch, it's construction and its construction. It's also dependant upon the quantity of rain and the humidity.

A vintage watch designed to be waterproof should not have a problem but a vintage Chrono less so, especially if it does not have lockable buttons.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

Indeed.

Master
    Is the seller obliged to contribute? Probably not.

Should he take it on himself to contribute? Probably.

Just my 2c

If I sold a watch that ultimately turned out to be problematic I would work with the buyer to find a solution, be that contributing towards fixing the problem or even offering a full refund if that's what the buyer wanted.

After you ask for opinions and insult other members? Who’s the infant?

After you ask for opinions and insult other members? Who’s the infant?
    That's bang out of order.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Indeed.
    Quite.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

That's bang out of order.
    Doubtful, your constant trying to defend his actions is borderline “bang out of order”
    He calls people names and says that they have no understanding of watches is bang out of order. End of.

Really!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    The idea that water has ingressed simply by walking around is also pretty unlikely. It's far more likely that humidity already in the watch condensed out when going from a warm house out into the cold.

This being the case it would be perfectly understandable that the seller have no issues himself.

Doubtful, your constant trying to defend his actions is borderline “bang out of order”
    He calls people names and says that they have no understanding of watches is bang out of order. End of.
    All I know is that a respected member of this place has made a mistake and you're sticking the knife in.

Master
    I am with Doug I would not expect a £1500 watch to suffer water ingress.

All I know is that a respected member of this place has made a mistake and you're sticking the knife in.
    Exactly.

Doug, I hope you get your watch sorted and I wish you all the best.

Fair enough that’s your own opinion, but your wrong.
    I don’t like it when people think they can call out others by way of name calling and suggesting they don’t know horology.
    And I will always defend myself against this kind of behaviour.
    And as for this “respected member” nonsense, I don’t let your nepotism phase me one bit. We’re all respected members until such member behave in ways that degrade that respect.
    Please stop trying to flog a dead horse is rather boring. Follow your own advice a few posts back and leave it alone.

Given the edit (which must of taken some courage), best to simply wish the op well (with the watch and his health!) and move on.

I don’t like it when people think they can call out others by way of name calling and suggesting they don’t know horology.
    And as for this “respected member” nonsense, I don’t let your nepotism phase me one bit. We’re all respected members until such member behave in ways that degrade that respect.
    Please stop trying to flog a dead horse is rather boring. Follow your own advice a few posts back and leave it alone.

Out of interest, have you read the edited original post?

Craftsman
    There are two sides to every story but I think that before anyone can make a halfway valid stab at an answer, they'd need to see (1) The original advert for the said watch, (2) any correspondence between buyer and seller before the purchase, (3) The exact PM sent after the water ingress and (4) confirmation that the PM has actually been read by the seller. Until then, everyone is just adding their two penn'orth without being in possession of the facts.

Blog Entries

Wind your neck back in....

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Out of interest, have you read the edited original post?

Thanks for that no I did not see that.
    In light of this I’m out of this one.
    Apologise to op and anyone I have offended.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Wind your neck back in....
    As above.
    My neck is fine where it is.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    There are two sides to every story but I think that before anyone can make a halfway valid stab at an answer, they'd need to see (1) The original advert for the said watch, (2) any correspondence between buyer and seller before the purchase, (3) The exact PM sent after the water ingress and (4) confirmation that the PM has actually been read by the seller. Until then, everyone is just adding their two penn'orth without being in possession of the facts.
    Just noticed the editing to the original post. Looks like a pm was never sent and the OP has fully apologised. Seems like a decent chap and at least he can admit to it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bandylegss View Post
    I am with Doug I would not expect a £1500 watch to suffer water ingress.
    Price doesn't have any effect!

I'd expect a 50 quid G Shock to be water proof.

Yet a 50 grand vintage dress or even five watch, I'd have no expectations.

Do people understand vintage. In a lot of cases I wouldn't even expect a serviced vintage watch to be waterproof.

Given the edit (which must of taken some courage), best to simply wish the op well (with the watch and his health!) and move on.

Indeed, best wishes from me too!

Master

Well said and rest up Doug.

Blog Entries
    Take care Doug. Wishing you well.

Martyn

Using as strong terms as possible outside the BP, you’re making a total cock out of yourself.

Best wishes to the OP. I’d like to think a forum like this should remain a familiar and welcoming place given his health issues.

Master
    Doug, I’ve never had any dealings with you during my time here. You come across as a really decent guy doing your best to live as full a life as possible in the face of some chronic and debilitating conditions. If I’d sold you the watch I’d either take it back and fully refund you or cover the cost of service. There’s no reason for others to be aiming some cheap shots in your direction. A little empathy and understanding would go a long way here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Using as strong terms as possible outside the BP, you’re making a total cock out of yourself.
    IMO, the OP has made several misjudged comments especially in light of his original text. People have the right to comment and defend themselves irrespective of the duration of their membership here.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    IMO, the OP has made several misjudged comments especially in light of his original text. People have the right to comment and defend themselves irrespective of the duration of their membership here.

Read the post immediately preceding yours. Then re-read it until you get the message.