closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Introduction/Vintage longines

Journeyman

Introduction/Vintage longines

Hello, thought I would start my first post with an introduction and take the chance to share my great grandads watch restoration. My names Scott, been following the forum for a while now and decided recently to join.

I was given my great grandads watch a few years back by my grandad, when I received the watch it was in bad condition. The movement was in bad need of a service as it was not winding. The dial had really bad water damage and the glass had seen better days. I took it to a clock restoration man in Glasgow who did a fantastic job of getting it back to looking to near as new. I was hesitant on getting the dial refurbed but as I plan to keep it and pass to my son, I decided I wanted to restore it to its former self.

The watch was given to my great grandad for 40 years loyal service to J&P coats in paisley. The longines is fitted with a 17 jewels 30LS movement. The movement was invoiced to a company called Baume in 1964 in the uk, where it was fitted with a 9ct gold case. I know this was common for longines to do back then, Something with avoiding taxes but this is all the information I have managed to gather on the watch so far. I hope you enjoyed my story. Scott

Here are some photos

IMG_3763.JPG
    IMG_3761.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    More Photos
    IMG_3762.JPG
    IMG_3758.JPG

Journeyman

Sorry, would only let me add two photos a time.
    Last edited by Scott88; 16th March 2018 at 23:17.

Journeyman
    Welcome Scott! Great post! Brilliant history and fantastic job on the refurb! Looks new!

Journeyman
    Thank you Nwokoj.

I can’t see the photos?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    I can’t see the photos?
    I use the Tz-UK app and I saw them okay, just double checked on the website too! That’s strange

Journeyman

I uploaded them via the tz-uk app.

Last edited by Scott88; 17th March 2018 at 00:07.

I’m using Tapatalk and I can’t see them. Weird.

I’m using Tapatalk and I can see them,
    just quite low res.

Welcome to the forum Scott and what a lovely watch, a style I very much like. A great story as well, thanks for posting.

Journeyman

Yeah sorry about that, it was the best res it would let me upload for some reason. probably not doing it right haha hopefully by my next post I’ll have it sussed. Thank you for the welcome.

Craftsman
    Thanks for sharing Scott! Quite fond of Longines and looks fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jamestmusic View Post
    Thanks for sharing Scott! Quite fond of Longines and looks fantastic

Thank you jamestmusic! I’m hoping to get a nice leather strap for it soon. It is the one thing I think it’s missing.

Love Longines and love gold watches but how about a nice brown leather strap on that one?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Love Longines and love gold watches but how about a nice brown leather strap on that one?
    Yes I agree, I have been looking at both brown and black leather. I am swaying more towards brown.

Great watch and family history.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by degsey View Post
    Great watch and family history.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    Thank you degsey!

Master
    Hello Scott and welcome, it's great to have a watch with such family history. Was it a daily wearer for your granddad or reserved for special occasions only?
    Great watch and story, all the best Paul.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Hello Scott and welcome, it's great to have a watch with such family history. Was it a daily wearer for your granddad or reserved for special occasions only?
    Great watch and story, all the best Paul.
    He definitely used it as a daily wearer, which I think is great. Every photo I found of him, you can just barely see the watch and according to my grandad his father wore it daily. I however tend to only wear on special occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott88 View Post
    Yes I agree, I have been looking at both brown and black leather. I am swaying more towards brown.

A thin lizard would look lush on it, fantastic job on the restoration / I live in Paisley and would welcome info on who did the work for you and what he charged. It looks like a great job he's done. Welcome to TZ . Pic of mine on lizard

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    A thin lizard would look lush on it, fantastic job on the restoration / I live in Paisley and would welcome info on who did the work for you and what he charged. It looks like a great job he's done. Welcome to TZ . Pic of mine on lizard

Your watch looks amazing, I really like the look of the longines with the lizard strap. Where did you get the strap from? I went to a place called tevendale & co, located on Renfield Street Glasgow. Here is the guys website, http://tevendales.co.uk . It cost me £300 back in 2015, that included the case being polished, movement serviced, the scratches polished out of the glass and the dial being sent to London to get painted. I’ll try upload a picture of the movement as that looks just as great as the rest of the watch. Hope this helps.

Your watch looks amazing, I really like the look of the longines with the lizard strap. Where did you get the strap from? I went to a place called tevendale & co, located on Renfield Street Glasgow. Here is the guys website, http://tevendales.co.uk . It cost me £300 back in 2015, that included the case being polished, movement serviced, the scratches polished out of the glass and the dial being sent to London to get painted. I’ll try upload a picture of the movement as that looks just as great as the rest of the watch. Hope this helps.

Fab ty. The strap has no branding on it so I don't know the make. Wasn't expensive tho. £30 or thereabouts from ebay if I recall

Journeyman

30LS movement:
    IMG_3768.JPG

Sorry the photo isn’t uploading as sharp as it is on my phone.

Journeyman

Fab ty. The strap has no branding on it so I don't know the make. Wasn't expensive tho. £30 or thereabouts from ebay if I recall

That’s a great price, I shall have a look today. Thank you. Is that a flagship longines you have?

Last edited by Scott88; 17th March 2018 at 09:51.

That’s a great price, I shall have a look today. Thank you. Is that a flagship longines you have?

Thanks. No it's an unnamed model with 302L movement and 8888 caseshape. Think it's 1969 approx

Welcome! Super intro and a super watch.

For lizard, I was very impressed with the Di Modell genuine Teju lizard from ukwatchstrap, they have a lovely dark brown version may be an alternative to black.

Welcome to TZ Scott.

Beautiful watch - thanks for posting pictures, its always interesting to look at vintage pieces.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post

For lizard, I was very impressed with the Di Modell genuine Teju lizard from ukwatchstrap, they have a lovely dark brown version may be an alternative to black.
    I completely agree with the Teju Lizard for a vintage watch, here is my gold Omega on such a strap

Another good option would be an ostrich strap from Rios, very comfortable strap and very in keeping with the vintage look. This is my Smiths with such a strap that replaced the original Smiths strap it came in (Which itself was a similar colour)

Journeyman
    Thanks. No it's an unnamed model with 302L movement and 8888 caseshape. Think it's 1969 approx

It is a lovely watch and thanks for the information.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post

Thank you for the tip. I will give the website a look. Seen a few gold watches now with brown strap. Starting to really like the look.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Welcome to TZ Scott.

Beautiful watch - thanks for posting pictures, its always interesting to look at vintage pieces.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thank you Velorum. It’s the only vintage watch I own, I really like the look of vintage and more drawn to them now than I was a few years ago.

Journeyman
    I completely agree with the Teju Lizard for a vintage watch, here is my gold Omega on such a strap

Another good option would be an ostrich strap from Rios, very comfortable strap and very in keeping with the vintage look. This is my Smiths with such a strap that replaced the original Smiths strap it came in (Which itself was a similar colour)

Both great looking watches and they compliment the brow straps very well. I’ll definitely be looking toward more brown now. Never thought of ostrich, but it looks really nice. Looks like you have a great collection there. What years are those watches from?

All different ages Scott, oldest ones being my trench watches pre war but most range from 50s to 70s. Your Longines case is very similar to a Record I have (Mine is a sub second dial) I may have missed in your posts does yours have fixed bars or normal spring bars? My Longines has fixed and came on a rather grotty original strap but had a gold plated buckle so I got a new strap made with the original buckle.

I have a Smiths on a black watch strap similar to the brown one the Smiths watch I posted and here is a picture of my Eterna Garrard watch on a blue (Yes blue) Strap. Only reason I used this is it was the only one that fitted when the Eterna arrived and I actually quite like it, maybe something to consider?

Other watch straps to consider are Condor (Quite inexpensive and you can find a proper Croc strap for around £40 - £60 that has a nice vintage look to it) Darlena also do some nice inexpensive vintage looking straps also check out Christopher Ward watch straps especially in their frequent sales, their leather watch straps you can often find for around £10 and they are excellent quality.

All different ages Scott, oldest ones being my trench watches pre war but most range from 50s to 70s. Your Longines case is very similar to a Record I have (Mine is a sub second dial) I may have missed in your posts does yours have fixed bars or normal spring bars? My Longines has fixed and came on a rather grotty original strap but had a gold plated buckle so I got a new strap made with the original buckle.

I have a Smiths on a black watch strap similar to the brown one the Smiths watch I posted and here is a picture of my Eterna Garrard watch on a blue (Yes blue) Strap. Only reason I used this is it was the only one that fitted when the Eterna arrived and I actually quite like it, maybe something to consider?

Other watch straps to consider are Condor (Quite inexpensive and you can find a proper Croc strap for around £40 - £60 that has a nice vintage look to it) Darlena also do some nice inexpensive vintage looking straps also check out Christopher Ward watch straps especially in their frequent sales, their leather watch straps you can often find for around £10 and they are excellent quality.
    Cw ones also have quick release spring bars

Im a big fan of Hirsch Duke straps and all but one of my watches are on one

At the moment I have two vintage pieces

The 1965 Omega Seamaster has a manual wind 285 movement and original hands / linen dial. I took a gamble and bought it from eBay a few years ago. Brendan serviced it, cleaned the dial, relumed the hands and polished the case. Last year when I was tight for cash I sold it to Peck who kindly sold it back to me last month. I missed it as soon as I sold it and its good to have it back!

The 1959 Timex 100 is also manual wind and is something of a fragile thing with a relatively cheap and cheerful movement. Its been to Brendan twice now and is running OK. I really like the dial design and bought it as I fancied a birth year watch.

The 1965 Omega Seamaster has a manual wind 285 movement and original hands / linen dial. I took a gamble and bought it from eBay a few years ago. Brendan serviced it, cleaned the dial, relumed the hands and polished the case. Last year when I was tight for cash I sold it to Peck who kindly sold it back to me last month. I missed it as soon as I sold it and its good to have it back!

The 1959 Timex 100 is also manual wind and is something of a fragile thing with a relatively cheap and cheerful movement. Its been to Brendan twice now and is running OK. I really like the dial design and bought it as I fancied a birth year watch.
    I just picked up a couple of Timex watches for the kids, lovely vintage watches that once cleaned and serviced are great to wear and are a decent size for modern use. Services are another largely unknown brand that have some nice inexpensive vintage watches and of course Rotary. The blue strap my Eterna is on is a Hirsch strap and I do have a particular like for Hirsch duke watch straps. One thing I perhaps didn't point out is the cheaper Rios straps tend to be a little shorter than Hirsch straps I have found (Not so with their more expensive ones like the Ostrich watch strap pictured) That being said they do have plenty to chose from at a price less than Hirsch and I find of similar quality.

I do like the Omega, mine also has a slightly textured dial (cant really see it in the photo) The Timex is also lovely, is it all applied on the dial?

The Timex is also lovely, is it all applied on the dial?
    Thanks - I dont wear it often but Im very fond of it

Yes, all applied on the dial

Journeyman

Mine came with spring bars on it. Unfortunately not with the original strap so the buckle is missing. I have been looking on eBay to see if I can source one as I would also like to fit that to a strap.

I have never considered blue, but it looks really class. I will be keeping an eye out. Really like that smiths watch, they have some lovely pieces out there. You’re collection looks and sounds good.

Thank you for the recommendations, I have been having a look all morning and hopefully I’ll choose one later this evening and be able to post pics of my choice soon.

Journeyman

Do you have any pictures of what the omega looked like before you had it redone? The watch looks amazing. Really like the strap it is on. Glad to hear you’re watch managed to make its way back to you. It’s a nice piece.

Do you have any pictures of what the omega looked like before you had it redone? The watch looks amazing. Really like the strap it is on. Glad to hear you’re watch managed to make its way back to you. It’s a nice piece.

Unfortunately I didnt take any!

Heres the original thread I started about it with a close up of the dial though

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-285-Seamaster

Journeyman
    Thanks for sharing man. The dial on that watch is lovely. Nice post.

Hi Scott and welcome.

Give my regards to Dr Evil.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Hi Scott and welcome.

Give my regards to Dr Evil.

Thank you for the welcome number2

Apprentice

Great history

Hello, thought I would start my first post with an introduction and take the chance to share my great grandads watch restoration. My names Scott, been following the forum for a while now and decided recently to join.

I was given my great grandads watch a few years back by my grandad, when I received the watch it was in bad condition. The movement was in bad need of a service as it was not winding. The dial had really bad water damage and the glass had seen better days. I took it to a clock restoration man in Glasgow who did a fantastic job of getting it back to looking to near as new. I was hesitant on getting the dial refurbed but as I plan to keep it and pass to my son, I decided I wanted to restore it to its former self.

The watch was given to my great grandad for 40 years loyal service to J&P coats in paisley. The longines is fitted with a 17 jewels 30LS movement. The movement was invoiced to a company called Baume in 1964 in the uk, where it was fitted with a 9ct gold case. I know this was common for longines to do back then, Something with avoiding taxes but this is all the information I have managed to gather on the watch so far. I hope you enjoyed my story. Scott

Here are some photos

IMG_3763.JPG
    IMG_3761.JPG

Great post Scott, the history behind this is truly fascinating. Thank you so much for sharing.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wamsim View Post
    Great post Scott, the history behind this is truly fascinating. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Thanks wamsim. Thanks for taking the time to read.