closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kemmner Watch repair and waiting...

Kemmner Watch repair and waiting...

Looking for some advice please...

I purchased a watch from Mr Kemmner via ebay in August and unlike some of this other watches that I have, this one seems to be a bad 'un as it's been back 3 times now to Germany due to bezel problems. The problem I'm having is radio silence as it's been back with him now since early January and my general email messages and messages on ebay looking for a status update are going unanswered.

Got the grumps today and looked at my options for ebay/paypal for raising a query via them but as the purchase is over 180 days old they aren't interested.

In a nutshell, my watch is with him, how long is "reasonable" for it to stay this way and do I really have any action other than to sit it out?

Thanks

All too familiar I’m afraid. Roland is an absolute nightmare to deal with. My watch was away for months and when it eventually returned it was a new one with my old case back on it. He knew it had sentimental value so he swapped the case back to a new watch without asking or telling me!

His communications throughout were atrocious.

Good luck.

Master
    Communication is not his bag.

I've had two very contrasting experiences with him.

The first was a request for a crown and stem for a Speedbird III GMT, which I was expecting to pay for. Same day he said he had them and asked for my address. Two days later the parts arrived free of charge.

The second was a 007 that suddenly stopped after about 3 months of faultless running. The radio silence was deafening and after three weeks I sent it to Duncan who eventually diagnosed a missing tooth on the intermediate wheel. He ordered the part and fixed it for a very reasonable fee. The fault was nothing to do with Roland or the watch, but more likely a problem with the QC at ETA. However, the watch was under warranty and after explaining the situation to Roland and still receiving no contact, I reluctantly opened a dispute with PayPal. This seemed to get him moving and he refunded me the cost of repair with profuse apologies.

I still wouldn't hesitate to buy a Kemmner watch, but I would do so knowing I might have to rely on third parties to resolve any problem.

Keep at him and eventually he'll come good

Grand Master
    I admire what he’s done, but you can’t run a business in this way.

I have bought two watches directly from Kemmner. The first arrived with the crown sticking out so much so it appeared they had put the wrong crown stem in the watch. I contacted him by e-mail, silence, fortunately I was quick enough to raise it with paypal as that's how he accepts payment from what I remember even buying directly from him. I requested a refund and within days I got a response from him saying that it was a holiday in Germany so they were closed. I sent it back and got it repaired (I think I may have paid postage but he sent a second strap as way as refund as far as I remember) Watch worked fine since then no problems. Got a second watch from him that was completely problem free. I was going to get a third watch from him directly and sent him an e-mail but got no response so didn't bother.

Strange really considering many would think German companies have a reputation for being efficient I had a similar dreadful experience with Nomos who sent me a watch strap with spring bars too small for the watch strap (How they managed that I don't know as they were quick change spring bars. Sent it back, no refund of postage, little in the way of apology got a Nomos aftermarket one from an ebay seller for about £18 rather than the £70 Nomos were charging.

I notice his eBay shop has nothing in it which is unusual as this is his main way of selling watches.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/erkahund/m.html

Patience is a virtue you'll need when dealing with Herr Kemmner.

Master
    I've only had one customer service experience with Mr Kemmner but it was certainly a positive one. I bought a 007 Limited Edition from Sales Corner. It had a fault with the crown that some of the earlier ones were prone to - when fully tightened, it fouled the bezel, making it difficult to turn.

To his credit the seller apologised and offered to take it back after I mentioned it in a thread here, but instead I contacted Roland K asking if he could repair it and he offered to do so free of charge. I sent him the watch head only wrapped in bubble wrap and a jiffy bag. It came back a couple of weeks later nicely repaired, wearing a new NATO and in a travel case.

I find you sometimes get a faster reply from Roland on email if you run a quick google translate and send the email in German...

I have a warranty repair in with him (watch returned after a mere 2 weeks), and it has been there a month with not the slightest hint of the watch being looked at. After a chase up from me I got one e-mail saying he had been to hospital (and the watch would be done in the next week), but nothing for another 3 weeks now, despite another chanse up.
    Not a very good showing.
    Dave

Craftsman
    Don't want to unduly worry anyone with a watch currently with Kemmner, however, just spotted this post on WUS. Even if it's correct I'm sure Kemmner will clear any backlog of repairs (warranty or otherwise).

3 Days Agotorquemada

MemberJoin DateMar 2010LocationGermanyPosts20

Re: Kemmner Watches

Kemmner has retired, no more custom build watches. He sold his equipment and terminated his ebay account (erkahund).

Oh dear.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Just got an update from Roland saying my watch is shipping today. So he is still on the case but did not respond to my question about retirement.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post
    Don't want to unduly worry anyone with a watch currently with Kemmner, however, just spotted this post on WUS. Even if it's correct I'm sure Kemmner will clear any backlog of repairs (warranty or otherwise).

3 Days Agotorquemada

MemberJoin DateMar 2010LocationGermanyPosts20

Re: Kemmner Watches

Kemmner has retired, no more custom build watches. He sold his equipment and terminated his ebay account (erkahund).

I think I said the same a week or two ago in a G&D thread based on a chat with Roland.