closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is a Sinn U1/U2 the answer?

Is a Sinn U1/U2 the answer?

After numerous experiments (quick flips) with a variety of styles from diver to dress watches, I have perhaps inevitably come full circle to a couple of styles I have always worn or be drawn to - Diver and Pilot - in a Sea Dweller and an IWC Mk XV.

I may have been a great fan of some forum favourites, whether a PRS14, 2254, Marathon TSAR or Nomos Tangente, but they were rarely worn, and ended up being sold.

With an opportunity to add a third to the value of £1k, presuming I don't chop in the XV for a 114270, I have been reviewing the Friday threads amongst others, and have narrowed down the criteria to a fairly simply list:

- A no-nonsense rugged watch
    - Black dial
    - Ideally 40/42mm
    - Not found on the high street
    - Three-hander
    - Sword or sharp hands - no syringe/orange/condom-shaped ones
    - Utilitarian design and manufacturer appeals - Seiko, Oris, Tutima and others produce outstanding pieces within these criteria, but are not what I am after

The U1/U2 are slightly on the large size, but seem to fit the bill, Lego hands aside.

Have I missed any obvious contenders?

Thanks

Only if you still haven't found what you're looking for

Master
    The Sinn U1 is one of my all time favourites but as with everything people are different, is anybody nearby could let you have a try and hold of one? You may answer your own question within minutes of trying one on etc if you’re northwest I’m more than happy to meet up at some point and let you have a go of mine.

Master
    Damasko

Sinn 656 or 657.

Some sort of Sinn anyway!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    The Sinn U1 is one of my all time favourites but as with everything people are different, is anybody nearby could let you have a try and hold of one? You may answer your own question within minutes of trying one on etc if you’re northwest I’m more than happy to meet up at some point and let you have a go of mine.

I'm in London and have a U1, if OldHooky is anywhere nearby I am happy for him to take a look (although mine has a white dial, but I'm sure it will be sufficient to help get an idea).

Thanks for the ideas. The Vostok aren’t close I’m afraid and the 6 series Sinn are a bit too close to the XV. Plus I’ve had one. Can’t see a photo of the Damasko on my phone.

And thanks for the offer bootneck. Unfortunately I’m a long way south of you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

i went through a fair few of the Sinn offerings, U1, U2, UX(thought i would have that one forever), 7s, 6s and even went down the Kobold route looking for my work watch. i eventually found the EZM2 and have not been tempted by another since :)
    it is however a quartz, so of you have a belief system involving inanimate objects containing souls then it won't be for you.

I've had a few U1's and always moved them on. My U2 is my longest serving Sinn and then the 757 diapal on rubber makes a great combo dive 200m/pilot style .

In truth, there is no answer as you already have an SD.
    The U2 is where I would look though as a rugged alternative.

Is a Sinn U1/U2 the answer?

CWC diver? Seems to fit the bill.
    I am also a big fan of the MM300 (2nd hand - Vinny will have another one I am sure) :-)

I also love the U1!!!!!
    I am in London if you would wish to look at any of the above.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 16th March 2018 at 20:30.

Master
    Pity you’re so far away although Smoz is London based if that helps.
    I should add my daily wearer (not counting Apple Watch oh the shame) is a seadweller and has been for around 15 years now in fact I own 2 of them but the Sinn U1 Just has that something different and is my most commented on watch out of everything I own because it looks like nothing else. Well worth trying to meet up with someone I reckon because they can be a bit marmite imo although a few do come up in SC for decent prices you wouldn’t loose much moving it on if it didn’t suit you.

Craftsman
    Stowa B-Uhr Flieger?

- A no-nonsense rugged watch -- tick (ETA 2824-2 "top")
    - Black dial -- tick
    - Ideally 40/42mm -- 40mm
    - Not found on the high street -- tick
    - Three-hander -- tick
    - Sword or sharp hands - no syringe/orange/condom-shaped ones -- tick (I think)
    - Utilitarian design -- from the German Air Ministry 1939
    Last edited by Yokel; 16th March 2018 at 21:35.

The design of the EZM2 doesn't do it for me.
    The Damasko does, and have been there before so perhaps wise to try something different this time, although will probably pick up another anyway
    MM300 - recently let one go and have considered asking for it back as they are incredible - perhaps not quite different enough to compliment the SD
    Thanks for the endorsement of the U2 Ray
    Thanks for the offer of a look Sinnlover - I occasionally come into London so may accept your kind offer if I am still looking then
    Yokel - thanks but not really my thing and another Flieger, which I think the XV more than covers

U1 on a bracelet has a lot going for it on your criteria.

Michael Alden of The London Lounge, and one of the most seriously stylish guys in the Western World wears one.

Personally I love the U1's Lego hands and it's about the last watch in my collection I would let go of.

I’ve got a UX hydro and absolutely love it.
    Get over the quartz bit (which is quirky as the tick rebounds as it goes through the oil), I think the dagger hands and unusual perspective on the dial is fantastic.

Serious quality kit.

I don't have a U1 but the U2 and UX are great watches

Or even the older model EZM2

Or what about a tuna

Craftsman
    Have you thought about the Longines HydroConquest? (Link)

The hands don't meet your requirement though.
    Last edited by electorn; 17th March 2018 at 05:08.

Craftsman
    I’ve had a U1 and thought it was a bit on the big side. Now settled for an EZM3 which I’m very pleased with. I particularly like the 40mm diameter and understated appearance.

Blog Entries
    Damasko DSub1 Dive Watch ?

In SC at the mo... http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ub1-Dive-Watch

z

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That's exactly what I thought . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Had a U1 for a short time. Didn't mind it but too top heavy. Didn't really seem any more scratch resistant than any other watch.

I'd go for the CWC royal navy diver. Something so right about that case size and feel on the wrist. Great history too.

That Damasko is a strong contender. Thanks. Out in the sticks this morning with poor coverage so will check reviews later.

Master
    I purchased this DA44 from SC but soon after re bought a Speedbird l'd previously sold which has more or less been my daily wearer, only worn in the house, comes as the original post but also includes another black leather Damasko strap with white stitching, sorry for the lazy post but away from home over the weekend so not able to post my own photos.
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=Damasko
    Regards
    Bob

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Damasko DSub1 Dive Watch ?

In SC at the mo... http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ub1-Dive-Watch

z
    That's lovely!

I’ve have a couple of U1’s and a UX along with a 857 and they are great watches. I thought for a long time the U1 would always be with me but eventually it went , replaced with a PO (which has been replaced with a.... etc.)

I the middle of last year I found myself wanting a toolish diver again, the U1 was in contention but I found myself drawn towards the Stowa Seatime, just a little more interesting case and a bit cheaper than the Sinn. Actually ended up with a Prodiver and fully expected to not get on with its size and weight but I love it!

Think you just missed out on a black faced one on SC but if the style appeals then they are great watches.

Master
    I picked up a UX from here a few weeks ago & none of my other watches have been out the box, I love it.

Want to add an SDR bezel U1 to the mix also, I love the watch that much!

I’ve had a U1T (the fully tegimented version) for about 4 years now. It was my daily wearer, but tbh I find the dull grey case and bracelet (a bit darker than the usual non teg versions) a bit too utilitarian for my taste. I’d also agree it wears a little top heavy. However, mine looks brand new still after a lot of wear (including the outer AR coating which is unmarked) - the material is pretty special. It’s certainly different, but the poor lume in particular irritates me. It’s just nowhere near any seiko in that regard. If buying I’d suggest wearing on a nato or leather strap - the bracelet makes it too heavy and too ‘grey’, even though it’s well made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I finally got a U1 after many years of it being one of my grails, and like a lot of others sadly found it too top heavy. A problem I seem to have generally with watch straps is getting a decent fit, as my wrist seems to always be between sizes or holes, so on the U1 rubber I found it was either slightly too tight if I removed the divers extension, but then when I added that back in and chopped another piece of the runner out, it was a tad too loose and the watch flopped about and caught too easily on sleeves.

A shame as it's a massively well constructed watch and I still think looks cracking to boot. Unlike a lot of people, I really like the lego hands too and think it's part of what makes it unique as well as extremely easy to tell the time at a glance.

Very happy with my U1 and find with the Sinn rubber it is very comfortable.
    Doesn't seem too big on my 7.5" wrist anyway - looks bigger in the picture.

At 6.75 it may be a stretch for me?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    I’m the same wrist size as you, don’t feel it wears too large. Does feel top heavy if on a thin NATO, but eddies ones are spot on.

Size wise it feels marginally larger than a Pelagos on the wrist, in my view. That might help you try an easier to locate Pelagos on to try and get an idea.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post

Same as me and it wore fine just a tad top heavy, kinda dull to look at for me.

Nothing wrong with Sinn, but I found the U1 to be a bit charmless and I don't miss it.

Personally, I'd recommend that you instead follow through with your thought of chopping in the XV for a 114270.

You may well be right...

Craftsman
    I wore my U2 for over 10 years straight until it needed a service. At first I "babied it" but I soon realised that it is a tough tool watch. It has been around the world with me to some rather remote and inhospitable places such as the Deserts and Tropical Rainforests of Africa and Asia. It is on my wrist while at the shooting range several times a week (plenty of concrete and brick walls) and it still looks to be in great shape. It has a few fine scratches on the bezel but that is about it..... far better than the like of Rolex and Doxa watches that seem to be scratch-magnets.

My U2 is still worn daily and my "work / beater" watch even though I now have a nice custom Sinn 103 and a Sinn U1000.

My wrist is between 6.75 - 7" and I find it wears perfect on the Sinn silicone with large clasp. I bought the bracelet for my U1000 but it all honesty I think that I will be switching back over to the silicone with that too as it is so much more comfortable than the bracelet for me.

I am awaiting a silicone strap for my Sinn 103 as well.... yes, the leather is very nice, but not practical for me needs.

One of the awesome things about the U-Series and other Sinn models is the outstanding legibility .... so easy to read with just a quick glance.