closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AlpinerX

Craftsman

AlpinerX

New smart watch from Alpina. It's being run as a Facebook campaign so far and looks like it'll be launched on Kickstarter at $450 with retail of $900. I really like the look of this and the price seems reasonable:

https://alpinerx.watch/adeb/?gclid=E...SAAEgJTH_D_BwE

Master
    Have been following this myself. At $450 i recon i could be in. Not sure why a company the size of Alpina would be using Kickstarter, as i believe these are.

Yes, this baffled me a bit.

The logo looks the same, so I assume it's a genuine Alpina watch.

If I was in the market for a digi-ana, I'd certainly consider one at $450.

M.

Master
    looks nice. can you use it as a simple ana-digi watch or does it have to always be connected to your phone to do anything?

Craftsman
    I would hope so but there's not a lot of detail released yet.

The two year battery life seems huge in comparison to similar things, makes me wonder how smart it can actually be.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Have been following this myself. At $450 i recon i could be in. Not sure why a company the size of Alpina would be using Kickstarter, as i believe these are.
    Although they aren't using kickstarter - lots of brands are starting to do these presales - Ball regularly does presales on new watches.

Hum... look what I found:

https://mmt365live.com/alpinerx.mp4

(I'd right click and download it because I suspect it's not suppose to be there).
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 16th March 2018 at 21:16.

Craftsman
    Interesting. The app is on the app store already so you can download and play.

Master
    Worth a chance at that price i think, thanks for sharing op.

Does anyone have any idea what the size of this is?

What model iPhone is this? (Because we can roughly work out width)...

Thanks for the picture. Judging by that, it looks to be 42-44mm or thereabouts.

I like the idea but I would want to see at least 200m waterproof. I would want to wear this watch surfing, playing out on the boat at the cottage and generally do whatever without caring... 100m... might not take a big wave hit successfully.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Had an update indicating it'll be on sale this Thursday, 22nd. Although that's on kickstarter so probably get the watch eight months later with a whacking great import duty on it!

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Had an update indicating it'll be on sale this Thursday, 22nd. Although that's on kickstarter so probably get the watch eight months later with a whacking great import duty on it!

Made in Switzerland so no import duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Made in Switzerland so no import duty.
    Effectively no import duty from anywhere.

If you mean VAT, it's coming from Switzerland so there will be that to pay.

Craftsman
    So does that mean in theory it'll get snagged at Royal mail with a charge of 20% of $450 plus their £15ish admin fee?

Do they tend to stop parcels from the EU?

Master
    It will be 45 mm

Full specs here :

https://alpinerx.watch

Has anyone managed to find the kickstarter page for it?

LE : Never mind, here it is in case anyone was interested :

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...twatch/rewards

Got the 'Super Early Bird Discount', so 450 CHF (about £335) for the watch
    Last edited by asteclaru; 22nd March 2018 at 08:15.

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    It will be 45 mm

Full specs here :

https://alpinerx.watch

Has anyone managed to find the kickstarter page for it?

LE : Never mind, here it is in case anyone was interested :

www.kickstarter.com/projects/536565656/alpinerx-the-most-beautiful-outdoors-smartwatch/rewards

Got the 'Super Early Bird Discount', so 450 CHF (about £335) for the watch
    The marketing campaign is a big of a dog's dinner - you get all sorts of vague information and yesterday I got an email with a countdown - but it's an hour out!

I got the super early bird before I worked out the size. 45mm might be too big for me.

Edit: I just notice the super-early bird (50% off) reset itself to 250 - which means some later pledgers coughed up for the early bird (40% off) when they could have had this!
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 22nd March 2018 at 09:11.

Master
    The marketing campaign is a big of a dog's dinner - you get all sorts of vague information and yesterday I got an email with a countdown - but it's an hour out!

I got the super early bird before I worked out the size. 45mm might be too big for me.
    I agree, not the best approach. I only found that site with the specs this morning. Luckily, I like big watches, so 45 mil is perfect for me.

Didn't even think of the VAT implications, but I've already 'pledged' my money, so oh well.. what can you do?

I agree, not the best approach. I only found that site with the specs this morning. Luckily, I like big watches, so 45 mil is perfect for me.

Didn't even think of the VAT implications, but I've already 'pledged' my money, so oh well.. what can you do?
    you can actually cancel right upto the 22nd april so you have some time to think about it.

I really wish the configure tool was available so I could play around with colours and design.

Edit: Actually the designer is here:

https://alpinerx.watch/design/#

Last edited by Alansmithee; 22nd March 2018 at 09:19.

Master
    you can actually cancel right upto the 22nd april so you have some time to think about it.

I really wish the configure tool was available so I could play around with colours and design.

Edit: Actually the designer is here:

https://alpinerx.watch/design/#
    I actually like the design and the functions they claim it will have (whether they'll work properly or not is a whole other story), so I'm happy to give it a try regardless of VAT.

I've just had a play with the configurator myself. Not that many choices to be honest (someone good at maths could work out whether their claim of 3200 possible configurations is accurate).

Will probably go for Black with Orange accents myself

Craftsman
    Size is a bit big but I really like the look so am in.

Not clear why they used kickstarter and their claimed reason doesn't sound quite right to me, "to get customers involved in the development". I wonder if they're struggling a bit and wanted to derisk the costs of the new line. Or maybe wanted to try a new marketing approach.

Looks like a standard cr3032 battery so hopefully user replaceable.

Were it not for the size, I'd definitely order.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

So does that mean in theory it'll get snagged at Royal mail with a charge of 20% of $450 plus their £15ish admin fee?
    In theory, yes.

Do they tend to stop parcels from the EU?
    No, but that's a different question, I presume, as Switzerland isn't in the EU.

Normally, you pay the VAT inclusive price in the EU country you're buying from (at the prevailing rate) and the local rate is not applied.

From Switzerland, you should be able to get a VAT free price and pay VAT here.

M

Blog Entries
    Just been on Kickstarter and signed up for one. Will be choosing the option below when got the chance, thought about the orange strap but a bit errrr...... to much Orange

Last edited by Frankie169; 22nd March 2018 at 14:09.

I've just had a play with the configurator myself. Not that many choices to be honest (someone good at maths could work out whether their claim of 3200 possible configurations is accurate).
    It's been a while but I do have an old-fashioned 'A level' in it.
    If I'm right there are 2 x 3 x 4 x 6 x 6 x 7 combinations = 6048.
    Maybe there are 2848 configurations that are so hideous they wouldn't sell it?

p.s. here's my (current) favourite configuration. Judge me.

Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 22nd March 2018 at 14:25.

Blog Entries
    Prefer the one above your post , but then I would as I posted it lol, yours looks the same apart from blue bezel/dial????

Not sure blue and orange go well

Size is a bit big but I really like the look so am in.

Not clear why they used kickstarter and their claimed reason doesn't sound quite right to me, "to get customers involved in the development". I wonder if they're struggling a bit and wanted to derisk the costs of the new line. Or maybe wanted to try a new marketing approach.

Looks like a standard cr3032 battery so hopefully user replaceable.
    They are owned by citizen so money is not the issue - it's simply the way things are going - there is a whole group of customers who will never go near an AD. I bet this is partly just to see what happens.

BTW what is the advantage of glass-fiber for a watch case?
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 22nd March 2018 at 15:49.

Craftsman
    Maybe a clearer signal for the GPS and Bluetooth inside, over a metal case.

I like that black & orange Frankie, had settled on something much the same myself. I did have a play with a blue dial, not sure it works though.

AlpinerX

I was wondering if these would equate to beta testing models? Perhaps I’m just too skeptical.

If this was a marketing strategy to open their market up then it surely failed as I suspect there are very few new ‘clients’ among the 50% off group. I also think that by knowing that a company sold something at a hefty discount will turn some people off paying full price later on; what results is a potential to cheapen the brand.

How often to Range Rover and Rolex do sales flyers? Now Alpina may not be in that category so perhaps I’m equating apples to oranges but in my opinion if you consider many possible motives, it’s a great way to test out an ordering process, purchasing software, manufacturing to order capabilities and then ask for feedback on the watch and technologies with Alpina being able to say... it was sold via a kickstart so it doesn’t need to be perfect it was a new project.

Two years later you then find them releasing a mkII with all the bugs ironed out.

An alternate idea is that it offers a semi select group of watch people a chance to increase talk of a brand with the hope of that translating into further future sales on word of mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using fingers.
    Last edited by canuck; 25th March 2018 at 15:40.

Craftsman
    BTW what is the advantage of glass-fiber for a watch case?
    I just noticed they have a faq item about this now:

Fiberglass is scratch-resistant and lighter than stainless steel. The bezel and caseback on the other hand are in stainless steel. The combination of fiberglass and stainless steel gives an optimal weight, a full stainless steel case would be much heavier. We are studying Titanium, but lead-time will be long and there are technical issues to sort out. Fiberglass has already been featured on Alpina Seastrong watches and the response has been very good. Another advantage of fiberglass is that it is solid, it's not coated, so the colour won't wear off.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    Just been on Kickstarter and signed up for one. Will be choosing the option below when got the chance, thought about the orange strap but a bit errrr...... to much Orange

I'm leaning towards something similar, but with the Navy case, bezel & strap.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Did I imagine it it was there a black and orange strap before? Just looked today after their update and only saw navy/orange

Master
    Did I imagine it it was there a black and orange strap before? Just looked today after their update and only saw navy/orange
    there wasn't a black/orange option

I was thinking of going black dial/orange accents, but I'm now leaning towards the green Kickstarter edition instead

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I will stick with my smart phone
    Many people say that about watches in general... 😀

Master
    Anyone still in for one of these? I'm down for one with an extra strap, but I'm having a bit of a shall I/shan't I moment as we get near the end of the kickstarter.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Were it not for the size, I'd definitely order.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    L@@KS G@@D!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ctafield View Post
    Anyone still in for one of these? I'm down for one with an extra strap, but I'm having a bit of a shall I/shan't I moment as we get near the end of the kickstarter.
    Yeah, I’m still in. I’ve fancied trying a ‘smart’ watch for a while now, and this seemed as good a one as any!

I shouldn’t think you’d lose much if you wanted to move it on, assuming they ever sell at full price post Kickstarter. If not, well, lesson learnt I guess!

I’ve spent more on a watch bracelet in the past, so I guess a whole watch must be considered relatively good value?!

there wasn't a black/orange option

I was thinking of going black dial/orange accents, but I'm now leaning towards the green Kickstarter edition instead
    Green Kickstarter? Is that version not in the selector?

Master
    It was a couple of days ago. I think it was added as a stretch goal recently. I quite liked the look of the green, but figured it might limit my strap choices.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ctafield View Post
    It was a couple of days ago. I think it was added as a stretch goal recently. I quite liked the look of the green, but figured it might limit my strap choices.
    correct. it was a stretch goal (1 million I believe)

Craftsman
    Going live, make sure you're quick filling in the responses as they've said watches ordered after 24th may be a lot later.

Also I heard on their livestream that spare straps don't come with a buckle, have gone for rubber to get their deployant. They sent a link for spare straps which are £30, but £19 extra for shipping! EDIT: shipping costs now removed
    Last edited by wombleh; 21st April 2018 at 08:29.

I decided to cancel my pledge when they released the full dimensions of the watch. 60mm lug to lug is wider than my wrist. Such a shame as I think it looks great.

Master
    As per all kickstarters, my bank flagged it as fraud. So who knows if I’ll get mine or not! Filled in the survey though. Went green inner with green strap, and a spare black rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I decided to cancel my pledge when they released the full dimensions of the watch. 60mm lug to lug is wider than my wrist. Such a shame as I think it looks great.
    Probably going to do likewise and I have relatively large wrists
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I think in the live feed sessions and via Kickstarter updates they’ve confirmed the lug to lug dimension as 55mm and not 60mm.

Still large, butt smaller than stated previously.

Edit: Just checked update #19 and it’s confirmed as 55mm. They apologised for the previous incorrect information.
    Last edited by Tooks; 21st April 2018 at 22:21.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    Prefer the one above your post , but then I would as I posted it lol, yours looks the same apart from blue bezel/dial????

Not sure blue and orange go well
    Blue and orange are the RNLI and US Coast Guard colours, I think they go together well.

If I go for one, this is the colour scheme I’ll be choosing.
    Last edited by thenikjones; 21st April 2018 at 19:07. Reason: Spelling

Master
    Just confirmed my design; it was a tough choice between orange and green, but, as I already have other orange watches and no green ones, this won :

Estimated shipping : May 2018