closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AlpinerX

Craftsman
    That looks rather good.

Great looking product but I've not been overly impressed with their kickstarter campaign, hopefully it's because they're concentrating so hard on making good watches!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    That looks rather good.

Great looking product but I've not been overly impressed with their kickstarter campaign, hopefully it's because they're concentrating so hard on making good watches!
    I can't say that I've been following the campaign, so I might not know the entire story, but what exactly was it that you are unhappy with?

Craftsman
    Was just a bit disorganised compared to the other things I've backed on there. Loads of updates (19!) but often with wrong or changing information. Buying extras straps wasn't very clear. Offers got added during the campaign which is no good if you've already backed it.

Master
    Was just a bit disorganised compared to the other things I've backed on there. Loads of updates (19!) but often with wrong or changing information. Buying extras straps wasn't very clear. Offers got added during the campaign which is no good if you've already backed it.
    I see. Regarding your last point: this is my first Kickstarter, so I might be wrong, but I think you can change your pledge any time during the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Just confirmed my design; it was a tough choice between orange and green, but, as I already have other orange watches and no green ones, this won :

Estimated shipping : May 2018
    I quite like that. Shame green hands are not an option.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    I see. Regarding your last point: this is my first Kickstarter, so I might be wrong, but I think you can change your pledge any time during the campaign.
    May well be right, that one was advertised as a stretch goal to get extra straps but at the time they'd just added a new backer deal and the watch was $100 more by then. It wasn't for another few weeks until they said you could buy straps at the end.
    Last edited by wombleh; 21st April 2018 at 22:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I quite like that. Shame green hands are not an option.
    that's what I was thinking too. works well enough with the black hands as well, so I'm not too bothered about it

Master
    Just confirmed my design; it was a tough choice between orange and green, but, as I already have other orange watches and no green ones, this won :

Estimated shipping : May 2018
    Exact same design I went for! (with an extra black rubber strap. Didn't realise I'd have to buy another buckle though - tad annoying)

Master
    Offers got added during the campaign which is no good if you've already backed it.
    You could change your pledge at any time (same with any kickstarter) - which is something I did to get the extra strap.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ctafield View Post
    You could change your pledge at any time (same with any kickstarter) - which is something I did to get the extra strap.
    That's fair enough for adding offers so I phased that badly, with the extra strap you appeared to lose the early bird price if you did change. Early bird price was $450 and the straps ended up being $40, the watch+ strap deal was $560.

They're talking about delivery in May which is very good. Some watches I backed last year won't be here by then.
    Last edited by wombleh; 22nd April 2018 at 08:59.

Craftsman
    I believe there was also an offer to refer 5 friends to the KS page and receive a second strap for free. The method of sharing the KS page with 5 friends didn't work, but I had already mentioned the existence of the AlpinerX on my FB watch page, which has several thousand followers! A quick message later and Alpina agreed that I was eligible! Not sure if the second strap comes with a buckle/clasp though ... :P

In all honesty though, it's a refreshing way for an established Swiss watch company to release a new watch. I have felt more involved in obtaining this watch than any of my other pieces, which mostly resulted in me popping to an AD and handing over a card. To be honest, I never thought I'd own a smartwatch. This product is the perfect balance between smartwatch features and the look of a luxury timepiece. I do quite like ana-digi displays though!

I've seen some 'real life' pictures of the colours available, which immediately put me off the navy dial. However the navy bezel looks stunning!

Here's my choice with Swiss Arpin wool strap (I'll also opt for a rubber strap too);

Has anyone heard any updated news about vibrating alerts? I can't check at the moment but I think I read in the FAQ that it won't vibrate, but the review linked earlier in this thread contains the following :-

Our review model only showed these visual alerts, and didn’t vibrate. We spoke to Alpina about this, and were informed the final models will have a vibration alert. Since it wasn’t operational on our watch, we can’t comment on its effectiveness.

UPDATE - This is the statement on the FAQ
    Does the Watch Vibrate?
    No the watch doesn't vibrate but it will make a sound on top of a visual notification on the digital dial to alert you when you have missed a call, a message etc.

Last updated: Mon, March 26 2018 1:22 PM BST
    Last edited by Ian_O; 25th April 2018 at 15:07.

Master
    They've started shipping then! Probably the fasted shipping Kickstarter I've ever backed! That said, looks like just the orange/black style to begin with, if the update is anything to go by?

Not sure why, but I had it in my head that there wouldn't be any import duty, coming from Switzerland, but I think there's 20% VAT? Is that right?

Master
    They've started shipping then! Probably the fasted shipping Kickstarter I've ever backed! That said, looks like just the orange/black style to begin with, if the update is anything to go by?

Not sure why, but I had it in my head that there wouldn't be any import duty, coming from Switzerland, but I think there's 20% VAT? Is that right?
    Switzerland is not part of the EU, so you're correct, you will have to pay the VAT

I can't even remember what I ordered now.
    I hope it's a pleasant surprise when it arrives.

i have received a shipping confirmation from DHL than my alpiner x is on its way to NZ.
    looking forward to seeing the end result.

Master
    What are people's thoughts on the hand wobble? Alpina saying that a tolerance of +/- 3° is industry standard?! The comments are... well, they're not being kind to them.

Video of the handle wobble : https://youtu.be/u-x8yCAK_PI

edit: comments thread https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...watch/comments
    Last edited by ctafield; 7th June 2018 at 13:50.

Alpina saying that a tolerance of +/- 3° is industry standard?!
    That could quite possibly be the most bullsh*t statement a watch company has ever come out with. I've just watched that video and I'd be sending a Timex back if the hands wobbled that much, never mind an Alpina.

Master
    What are people's thoughts on the hand wobble? Alpina saying that a tolerance of +/- 3° is industry standard?! The comments are... well, they're not being kind to them.

Video of the handle wobble : https://youtu.be/u-x8yCAK_PI

edit: comments thread https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...watch/comments
    anyone know if you can return stuff bought on Kickstarter?

if mine does that when I get it, I won't be happy

Blog Entries
    Haven’t had any shipping details yet but it would certainly be a concern if I have the same issue.

Craftsman
    +- 3 degrees would mean the minute hand might be half a minute out in either direction, that doesn't sound quite right, surely the fundamental requirement of a minute hand is being able to tell what minute it's pointing at!

Master
    Apparently this is a "feature" of MMT movements... hmmm?!?

mine arrived in NZ on Tuesday and im home tomorrow, ill check it and report back.
    be pretty peeved if it is as shonky as the one in the video.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    mine arrived in NZ on Tuesday and im home tomorrow, ill check it and report back.
    be pretty peeved if it is as shonky as the one in the video.

Don't forgot, photos and brief review for those of us still waiting :)

Craftsman
    Mine has arrived, there is a minute wobble when turning the bezel but it's not really noticable. Can't see any movement when shaking the watch. The one in that vid looks faulty. Now to go try and find out how it all works!

Master
    Mine has arrived, there is a minute wobble when turning the bezel but it's not really noticable. Can't see any movement when shaking the watch. The one in that vid looks faulty. Now to go try and find out how it all works!
    Enjoy! Photos when you get the chance, please? :)

Craftsman
    Here you go:

I got an extra strap (and Alpina appear to have sent me two) but think it looks better on the rubber. It's got two holes drilled in the lugs, not sure why, bit annoying when changing strap!

Master
    Looking good, thanks for posting! Did they give you sufficient number of buckles? I see a few people have not been sent them.

Craftsman
    Looking good, thanks for posting! Did they give you sufficient number of buckles? I see a few people have not been sent them.
    I'd purchased the strap as an extra rather than backing the watch+strap offer, at that point they weren't selling buckles. They do now offer them but last time I looked their postage charges were rather high, I went with a Hirsch HCB from WatchObsession instead which looks pretty much the same and only cost £7.

Not even had an indication as to when I can expect delivery.

The campaign said "during May"
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Not even had an indication as to when I can expect delivery.

The campaign said "during May"
    You aren’t alone, been checking the comments on Kickstarter and emails on a regular basis and nothing, I opted for the popular Orange version which a lot have already been delivered, don’t mind the wait for the delivery, it’s the lack of updates that’s frustrating.

Craftsman
    Just seen an "update" today - basically same as the previous one......

They are only producing c.400 per week: assuming there were around 2,500 backers (for a watch) - it's at least 6 weeks production......

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    You aren’t alone, been checking the comments on Kickstarter and emails on a regular basis and nothing, I opted for the popular Orange version which a lot have already been delivered, don’t mind the wait for the delivery, it’s the lack of updates that’s frustrating.

Mine will be last.
    It always is.

Master
    Par for the course with Kickstarters really. Don't think I've ever had anything come when they estimated it would. Am sure ours will turn up at some point, just a shame if it misses being taken away on holiday.

Craftsman
    Exactly what I was thinking - I wanted it for the "Summer" which unusually......we actually seem to be having this year!

Par for the course with Kickstarters really. Don't think I've ever had anything come when they estimated it would. Am sure ours will turn up at some point, just a shame if it misses being taken away on holiday.

Craftsman
    Mine arrived earlier this afternoon; blue case, blue bezel, blue handset, black dial, and a navy Arpin wool strap ...

Funnily enough, my TAG Heuer Link Calibre S developed a -/+ 1 second wobble in the minute hand over the course of a couple of months. Considering the price of the watch, and it's advertised accuracy of 1/100th of a second, I wasn't amused. The watch was sent back to TAG, but was swiftly returned with a note stating that such movement was normal for the 'Calibre S'. I sold it not long after at a huge loss.

There is a very, very small wobble on the minute hand of my AlpinerX, but certainly not enough for me to be concerned. I imagine it's more than likely due to the motors/cogs not engaging precisely. Compared to the TAG Heuer, the movement is barely noticeable. The AlpinerX is a really nice watch for the cash! I'm loving the more unusual Arpin wool strap too.

Heads up! Be sure to play around with the application - You can change the brightness of the LCD screen, as well as the duration it remains on for. The difference between 'low' and 'high' brightness is dramatic!

My only negatives so far ... It's a shame there is a visible seam in the fibreglass, between the lugs. A bit 'meh'! I've also calibrated the compass via the application, but the compass doesn't seem to be that good. The hands just move around wherever they fancy! Anyone else experienced this? Not sure if it's a keeper just yet, but I do like the colour combination I chose! :)

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Mine will be last.
    It always is.
    Anyone else not got there's yet?

Master
    Me. I emailed them to ask if they actually got my design. I got a stock reply saying "you'll get a DHL email when its on the way".

Master
    I didn't get mine yet either

Master
    Still waiting here too. I went for blue chapter ring and hands, with a silver bezel on the rubber strap.

Blog Entries
    Just got my DHL notification today

Craftsman
    Me neither

Master
    .. and of course they're appearing on sales corner already!

Master
    Looks like mine's on the move! Just got the DHL shipment advisory email :D

Master
    same here, finally

Blog Entries
    Landing on my door step tomorrow, watch this space for pics, been so long since ordering it that I have lost a bit of the buzz for the watch so will wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Master
    Have you paid the duty already, or do they ask for that on your door step?

Blog Entries
    Prepaid when I got the email from DHL. £79

- - - Updated - - -

Prepaid when I got the email from DHL. £79

Master
    Got my DHL shipment email today too.

I think another message stating duty payable will be forthcoming when it hits the U.K. processing centre.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Got my DHL shipment email today too.

I think another message stating duty payable will be forthcoming when it hits the U.K. processing centre.
    Ah that would make sense. Just the one email so far.