closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best mobile contract/Pay as GO

Best mobile contract/Pay as GO

After having a Mobile supplied/paid for by work for 20 years will be retiring at the end of the month.

Get to keep the phone (Iphone 7) and number but will need to arrange new provider, I have no clue who/what is best so looking for some advice.

Reckon my use will be pretty low on both calls and texts, mainly use messenger for family contacts and downloading etc likely be done when
    am at home and connected to the internet.

Would probably prefer some kind of pay as you go set up initially which I can top up if/when required until I have a clearer idea of what my actual usage is.

Advice/Info much appreciated.

Master
    There's some fairly well priced SIM only deals to be had out there. One of the cheaper and most hassle free / least commitment ones is with GiffGaff - worth checking their site for current pricing and it's just a rolling monthly contract. They run on the O2 network.

I've been with Three now for a few years though and been pretty happy with them too. If you don't use much data when out and about you should easily find something for about £10 a month.

Master
    I know you mentioned pay as you go but BT do some good pay monthly options. Plenty of data and use the EE network so good coverage. Think you also get an Amazon voucher as well.

Master
    Check uSwitch for sim only deals, you can get deals from as little as £3.99/month. Virgin mobile do a £5 sim and you get 1GB data, plenty of minutes and texts. I've been on Virgin mobile for years and it uses the EE network, never had any problems, I currently get 5GB for £9 and the data rolls over if not used.

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I know you mentioned pay as you go but BT do some good pay monthly options. Plenty of data and use the EE network so good coverage. Think you also get an Amazon voucher as well.
    I took a BT sim recently which awarded a prepaid £80 credit card which together with £50 from Quidco, the cost in effect is about £2-50 per month (for 12 months) for 6GB data, unlimited texts and minutes. So BT is worth a look.

Master
    GiffGaff - no contract

Good service and on the 02 network

Make sure you get the phone unlocked from your current provider, also what provider are you or family on and is the signal any good

Master
    Giffgaff is good but check their coverage (I believe they use the O2 network)

It was rubbish for me in the office, as is EE. So I am on a £10 a month bundle from Vodaphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Make sure you get the phone unlocked from your current provider, also what provider are you or family on and is the signal any good
    Thanks everyone, been told will get some kind of code so I can get the number allocated to new Sim.

Currently work one is Vodafone and dont have any issues with coverage, think my Wife is with EE with some kind of pay as you go but does
    occasionally have some coverage issues.

My issue is I have no idea what a good deal is, I'll check out the Uswitch link and GIffGaff as that sounds interesting until i know what my actual usage will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    GiffGaff - no contract

This.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Reckon my use will be pretty low on both calls and texts, mainly use messenger for family contacts and downloading etc likely be done when
    am at home and connected to the internet.
    Agree with the comments above. If you're a BT customer, the BT Mobile 4G SIM-only deals are hard to beat, and none of the hassle of PAYG.

Craftsman
    Giffgaff is honestly a really great company. They refunded me my £20 plan when i contacted them to simply switch my number over to another network because i didn't have any reception with giffgaff where I live. I had no intention of asking for the £20 back as it really was a sunk cost, but they did it without me asking. Can't rate them highly enough because of this one action.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    GiffGaff - no contract

This.
    +1. Especially if you want to pick and mix payg with the occasional contract.

Also "Calls [and texts] to other giffgaff numbers are free when you top up or buy a monthly plan at least once every 3 months".

Cheaper than chips, I got two.............................

https://www.1pmobile.com/

Thing to be conscious of with MVNOs using Three is that there’s no support for fallback to a 2G network in the absence of 3G/4G. Not likely to be much of a problem in urban areas, but if you go further afield you may struggle.

Journeyman
    Giffgaff for me too. Coverage ok and every month they advise you if you are paying too much and recommend moving down to a cheaper plan.

Had a contract phone for ~20 years as I needed it for work - sometimes had to fly off at a moments notice with no guarantee of being able to top-up whilst I was away. When I changed jobs 5 years ago or so I held on to it for a couple of years, before realising I was paying out every month for nothing. I swapped to a PAYG deal with 3, OK coverage can be a bit patchy but it's excellent at work and home (where I spend about 95% of my time in total), and the costs are a pittance - 3p/min voice, 2p/text, 1p/Mb data. A £10 top up lasts 3-4 months, even with the odd weekend abroad thrown in (European roaming is the same cost as the UK).

Cheers,

Plug

I just switched from Giffgaff to Virgin, both £10 deals. Reception was not good on Giffgaff in my home and Virgin are offering 6gb at present and 2500 mins, rather than 3gb on Giffgaff. The downside is the 12 month commitment. You can get £17 cashback via topcashback too. This is my tcb referral link, taking it down to about £8.58/month. Happy to donate half of any referral bonuses I receive.

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/alexnharvey

GiffGaff are excellent... go for a monthly goodybag. Never had any reception issues...N,S,E, or W.

Journeyman
    Three have a 12 month sim only contract at £10 a month with unlimited minutes and texts, and 4gb data. Unfortunately with this deal it doesn't include 'feel at home around the world' , but you can use your allowances in certain european countries - which is really excellent if you're visiting one of the countries that are covered.

If you have topcashback i think you can get £40 back on this as well.