closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ladies DJ 69173 service

Master

Ladies DJ 69173 service

I'm considering having Mrs Smith's 1991 69173 serviced. Local AD a bit pricey so looking for recommendations on here please.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 16th March 2018 at 13:11.

Duncan at Genesis is the man for the job. His communication is excellent as well as his turnaround time and his case refinishing is superb. He also offers a discount for TZ members https://www.genesiswatchmaking.co.uk/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Duncan at Genesis is the man for the job. His communication is excellent as well as his turnaround time and his case refinishing is superb. He also offers a discount for TZ members https://www.genesiswatchmaking.co.uk/
    Thanks J

Master
    The quote I've just had from the aforementioned is remarkably similar to the AD quote. I am thinking that the Rolex service will add to (or at least reinforce) the value and provenance for little difference in cost. I have B&P anyway. If the saving was 25% or more and reputably achieved I might have a different view.

Master
    Harry

If you have a Rolex, for goodness sake get it serviced by a Rolex AD or RSC. If nothing else it ensures propriety parts are fitted and provides a degree of authenticity which is worth the price.

I had my wifes 31mm Datejust serviced by the local AD 18 months or so ago and the thing goes on for weeks on end and is within 5 seconds of the original setting.

Mick

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Harry

If you have a Rolex, for goodness sake get it serviced by a Rolex AD or RSC. If nothing else it ensures propriety parts are fitted and provides a degree of authenticity which is worth the price.

I had my wifes 31mm Datejust serviced by the local AD 18 months or so ago and the thing goes on for weeks on end and is within 5 seconds of the original setting.

Mick
    I'm beginning to come to that way of thinking Mick.

General question, does one have to go through a Rolex AD to get a Rolex service, can it be sent direct?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I'm beginning to come to that way of thinking Mick.

General question, does one have to go through a Rolex AD to get a Rolex service, can it be sent direct?
    The simple answer is both.

You can take it to your local AD who will offer you two options. They will do it themselves and the turnaround will be quicker. I bank on about 3 weeks.

The second option is for them to send it to RSC, who will service it and return it to the AD. This will take longer, usually 6 weeks.

The price will be identical but if you want a RSC certificate, then go for the second option.

I went for the first option because they are more flexible on what to do regarding dials etc.

Alternatively, you can take it to RSC direct if you fancy a trip to St James.

Mick

Grand Master
    I would rather trust a watch to an accredited repairer than a service centre. An individual will always go the extra mile to ensure every watch he works on is as good as it can be. Getting Rolex accreditation is very demanding, those that achieve it are more than good, they’re very good.

The majority of folks don’t really understand what’s involved with working on a watch. It’s very much down to the skill, competence and attitude of the indivdual who’s doing the work.

Unless you have hands-on experience you haven’t got a clue.........I’ve been on both sides of that fence, I don’t make it up.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I would rather trust a watch to an accredited repairer than a service centre. An individual will always go the extra mile to ensure every watch he works on is as good as it can be. Getting Rolex accreditation is very demanding, those that achieve it are more than good, they’re very good.

The majority of folks don’t really understand what’s involved with working on a watch. It’s very much down to the skill, competence and attitude of the indivdual who’s doing the work.

Unless you have hands-on experience you haven’t got a clue.........I’ve been on both sides of that fence, I don’t make it up.

Paul
    Many people could get accreditation with training, it's also the cost. Consider £50-100k for a small workshop.
    You are tied in, want to service a Daytona? No tough, back to Rolex for you. Want to get a ceramic bezel for a sports model? Nope. Etc etc.

It is great as you get a stream of work and can charge good prices for it, but then you have to go off and do training for new movements and methods, buy new tools, etc etc. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

It can be amazing and terrible. It's just a case of picking which side you want to go.

Master

Paul

Paul, I value your advice. What/who would you recommend. Pm if you'd rather.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Paul, I value your advice. What/who would you recommend. Pm if you'd rather.
    I`ve personally dealt with Bill rice at Beverley, I`m happy to recommend him. Duncan Potter (Genesis) has a great reputation too, I've never met him but everyone speaks highly of him.

Might be worth giving Me32dc a PM too? He's Rolex trained as far as I know.

Paul

Master

Paul
    Paul

My local AD is well trained by Rolex. Every Rolex that he has serviced gives red hot time keeping. My wifes Datejust and my 1655 are both within 5 seconds over a 4 week period which, to me, is one step from miraculous. No one can better that.

Also I know they have full access to genuine parts and I get a service sheet confirming the work has been done and it's on a Rolex AD letter headed receipt which is useful if ever I come to sell it.

For the sake of a few quid, I would be mad to risk going elsewhere.

Mick

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Paul

My local AD is well trained by Rolex. Every Rolex that he has serviced gives red hot time keeping. My wifes Datejust and my 1655 are both within 5 seconds over a 4 week period which, to me, is one step from miraculous. No one can better that.

Also I know they have full access to genuine parts and I get a service sheet confirming the work has been done and it's on a Rolex AD letter headed receipt which is useful if ever I come to sell it.

For the sake of a few quid, I would be mad to risk going elsewhere.

Mick
    I agree! The guy you're referring to is obviously Rolex accredited, I agree 100% with your reasoning.