closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which 'interesting' Speedie?

Which 'interesting' Speedie?

Hi folks,

Had the classic moonwatch, and sold it eventually. I'd be interested in purchasing a new Speedie... something more interesting. The kind of a model which has a bit of a cooler dial and hands (the basic black and white is iconic, I know, but there it is). I did some research among the myriad LE's, but I'm also curious about what you'd consider in this category, maybe even without breaking the bank.

Many thanks,
    Christian

The Alaska Project watch is rather cool (no pun intended). Prices, however, seem to have gone ballistic in the last couple of years!

I don't really have much truck with the various special editions, but I saw a yellow Schumacher Racing one yesterday which I must say did appeal (although I never get on with yellow watches, so I wouldn't buy it ).

I think the only 'special' I'd consider would be the Moonwatch with the moonphase complication.

M

Apprentice
    Depends what you consider breaking the bank as I know this varies greatly for people including myself.

However I recently bought a Speedmaster 'Tin Tin' which I absolutely love and has a different dial and caseback with the engraving in red. Recently I've been looking at a 2010 Alaska Project.

Vintage speedmaster always has a good selection - https://www.vintagespeedmaster.com/speedmaster-for-sale I bought my Tintin from him.

Obviously not available new, but you should take a look at the Gemini IV limited edition, Christian. Blue Speedmaster Pros are pretty rare so a bit out of the ordinary.

This was mine...

Simon

I keep wondering with the Speedmaster and it’s infinite ‘Limited Editions’, whether the standard model is less in number than all the LEs?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I keep wondering with the Speedmaster and it’s infinite ‘Limited Editions’, whether the standard model is less in number than all the LEs?
    Very interesting question. I doubt it, but I like the question.

Master

One, or both, of these......

See these posts for info and pics

Both http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...d-Apollo-Soyuz

Apollo arrival http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=omega

Gemini arrival http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...dies&styleid=2

They are both stand out Speedies IMO. If you own one/both of these a standard Pro becomes surplus to requirements. You just won't want/need to wear it.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Maybe hunt for both and get whichever comes along first at right price/condition. If pushed I would plump for Apollo Soyuz because of the organic nature of the dial

Of the many watches I've sold over the years these are both ones I miss.

Good luck.

Master
    I take your point about the desire for something 'special'......but, but. It's a bit like a classic Jaguar E-Type or Ferrari Dino. They define the form, they can't be improved, only spoilt.
    For me, same with the original Speedie. It defines the watch, none of the 'specials' are it's equal. They just live off the back of the original design. You pay more to get, in design and historic terms, rather less.

Master
    My favourite is the Apollo XI white gold version, on leather. Looks like a completely different watch, and while not exactly cheap, until recently it was less than you might imagine for a genuinely special one. I expect it can go on the long list of watches I should have bought back when it was more affordable.

(Pic shamelessly borrowed from somewhere or other)

Always wanted to (and still do) want to try this: The Speedmaster Broad Arrow (ref. 178.0022)

The cream dial and metallic blue hands and markers which colour shift in different light are sublime....

Many thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like the Gemini and the Apollo-Soyuz are in pole position.

I just realised that one of the reasons for not getting along with the classic model is related to the hands - I generally need watch hands to be 'metallic', not painted in white.

Cheers,
    Christian

A little off topic but I started looking into vintage speedies last night strangely and its a confusing minefield. But I gravitated towards the 105.003 (think this is the Ed White moonwalk watch) and the 105.012 (moon landing watch). The 105.012 seems to have a few sub versions to it as well. I was honestly thinking about chopping my small collection (Tag Heuer monaco calibre 12, Rolex subc & speedmaster pro manual) in and trying to get one of these vintage speedies. Not sure I can go from 3 down to one watch though, plus there seems to be such a variation prices that I think I'd be scared to go ahead with it

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    A little off topic but I started looking into vintage speedies last night strangely and its a confusing minefield. But I gravitated towards the 105.003 (think this is the Ed White moonwalk watch) and the 105.012 (moon landing watch). The 105.012 seems to have a few sub versions to it as well. I was honestly thinking about chopping my small collection (Tag Heuer monaco calibre 12, Rolex subc & speedmaster pro manual) in and trying to get one of these vintage speedies. Not sure I can go from 3 down to one watch though, plus there seems to be such a variation prices that I think I'd be scared to go ahead with it
    My 105:003-64 Ed White that I sold to Watchfinder is still listed for sale. It is a good honest watch. Happy to give you the details if it interests you.

The Speedmaster Pro (Moonwatch) edition that interests me the most is the 311.33.42.50.01.001; The 1957 '50th anniversary' LE.

Its almost identical to the base model but it has a Co-Axial escapement (and comes with a toolkit case). Very cool non cosmetic modifications that really fly under the radar.

These are hard to pick up, theres a handful on C24...

Web images;

Master
    Love the Apollo 11 and the LE Italian albino from the mid-90s.
    Here’s my white dial SS auto. Going off for a service on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

^^^^^

Nice to see another ST 375.0032 (Fratello link) out there. I too have one of them...if only I could find (and afford) the Italia (Hodinkee link) ST 345.0818-A.

Which Apollo 11 models do you like? Omega have made several anniversary LEs plus other models for Apollo 11.
    Last edited by PickleB; 17th March 2018 at 00:15.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I take your point about the desire for something 'special'......but, but. It's a bit like a classic Jaguar E-Type or Ferrari Dino. They define the form, they can't be improved, only spoilt.
    For me, same with the original Speedie. It defines the watch, none of the 'specials' are it's equal. They just live off the back of the original design. You pay more to get, in design and historic terms, rather less.
    Although i like the look of some of the specials i have to agree with this post.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I do like the limited editions and would very happily own an Alaska or Gemini.

I've actually got the 1957 50th patch edition which is a great watch as looks largely like the original and stock speedmaster with just a couple of dial additions which add a little colour and bring it alive for me. Plus being a LE makes it just that bit more special IMO.

My firm fave is the Apollo 35th. Love a panda dialed chrono.
    2nd would be the Apollo-Souyez meteorite dial. That’s a stunner too. Sadly, both have rocketed up in recent years. No idea why!

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    The Speedmaster Pro (Moonwatch) edition that interests me the most is the 311.33.42.50.01.001; The 1957 '50th anniversary' LE.

Its almost identical to the base model but it has a Co-Axial escapement (and comes with a toolkit case). Very cool non cosmetic modifications that really fly under the radar.
    Written about in this thread:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...nd-Speedmaster

Last edited by Der Amf; 17th March 2018 at 12:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Many thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like the Gemini and the Apollo-Soyuz are in pole position.

I just realised that one of the reasons for not getting along with the classic model is related to the hands - I generally need watch hands to be 'metallic', not painted in white.

Cheers,
    Christian
    I agree, Christian. The hands on the Gemini IV are rhodium plated, by the way...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post

Cheers,
    Christian
    The early Speedmasters had metallic hands and so you can blame NASA for the change. See their Statement of Specifications at this link for:

Readability – All disks, bands, and figures must be readable in various lighting conditions. The chronograph must be readable under both “red” and “white” lighting conditions to or beyond a 5 foot candle illumination intensity. Either a black face with white figures and numerals or black on white is satisfactory. The chronograph should not cause glare at the high illumination levels. A stainless steel case with a satin finish is preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Always wanted to (and still do)

Me too, hoped that someone here would get tired of one but,,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

The Soyuz Meteorite is a beauty, although their price has really gone crazy since I sold mine a couple of years ago. Not many folk seemed to rate them when I owned mine, guess it was one of those where people appreciate them more down the line.

The Speedy Tuesday I still feel is right up there with the nicest limited edition Speedies.

I too prefer the bog standard Pro, with respect every other version has just been a cash cow for Omega off the back of the original..

Yes there are some beauties like the Soyuz Meteorite which I would happily own but they only exist because of what the Speedmaster Pro achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    My firm fave is the Apollo 35th. Love a panda dialed chrono.
    2nd would be the Apollo-Souyez meteorite dial. That’s a stunner too. Sadly, both have rocketed up in recent years. No idea why!

Second that regret selling mine last sometimes you never relise how nice a watch is till it's gone 🤨 funny enough was looking at the pictures of mine yesterday

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    How about an FOIS, doesn't have the hype / cost of some other limited editions..