closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Panasonic Viera TV Experts?

Any Panasonic Viera TV Experts?

My 85 year old mother has a Panasonic Viera TX-L37E3B.

The red power light is on.

The red power light flickers when the remote button is pressed.

The screen remains black.

Any ideas what is happening? Tried the manual, YouTube etc. They seem to rely on a menu appearing on screen to do anything.

1. TV dead, buy her a new one?
    2. Stuck in some kind of power saving mode, press X, Y, Z?

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does the remote do multiple devices? Sounds like the handset might accidentally be in the wrong mode, trying to control a different device. Look for a “TV” button on there to get it back to controlling the tv.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried press and holding the on button, it will then turn green. Sometimes happens if I have switched it off with one of the other remotes ie Amp or BRP

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Does the remote do multiple devices? Sounds like the handset might accidentally be in the wrong mode, trying to control a different device. Look for a “TV” button on there to get it back to controlling the tv.
    This.
    Cheers..
    Jase

My Pana remote is programmed with my Talk Talk set top box. Very occasionally it doesn't activate the TV switch on. If HDMI cables are used a 'digital handshake' has to be instigated between the two components.
    If this doesn't happen it may cause an issue.
    I would take the power off the TV for a while and any HDMI cables and reconnect, then try it.

Thanks for the tips. There are three controllers TV, HDD and DVD. I don’t know how she figures it all out, it’s beyond me. The thing that worked is turning the TV off at the set, keeping the remote on/off down whilst switching the set back on. It’s happened on a couple of occasions and I don’t know how she cleared it last time. If it recurs, I think it might be a power fault and need a new television. Are there TV repair men these days or are costs so high it’s better to buy new?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Its better to buy new TVs are really cheap. As I said if she turned the TV off with other remotes it will cause the problem you had

I'm sure you've tried this already but just in case you haven't, it might be worth unplugging the TV from the wall, leaving it for 5 minutes then trying again. I had an issue with my 2016 LG OLED which was resolved by doing this plus pressing the power button down on the TV for 10 seconds to discharge the internal capacitors whilst it was unplugged.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I'm sure you've tried this already but just in case you haven't, it might be worth unplugging the TV from the wall, leaving it for 5 minutes then trying again. I had an issue with my 2016 LG OLED which was resolved by doing this plus pressing the power button down on the TV for 10 seconds to discharge the internal capacitors whilst it was unplugged.
    https://youtu.be/nn2FB1P_Mn8?t=10

This happens when the backlight fails to turn on. A common fault on this model line. There was a "fix" years ago but you had to get a man in to implement it.

This does not always work but doing this seems to minimise the problem.

To resolve TV not turning on

1) Unplug TV wait 1 minute
    2) plug TV in
    3) Press on button on TV
    4) Wait 30 seconds (important) TV standby red light will be on but TV will not yet be in standby mode (known fault) essential to wait.
    5) Press on button on TV remote
    6) Light should go green and hopefully TV starts up.

When Turning off

1) Press power button on remote
    2) Light will go red
    3) Turn off TV power button

When turning on again

1) Turn on TV using power button
    2) Wait at least 30 seconds
    3) Press on button on remote
    4) Light will go green and TV should start.

Master
    While TV is on standby - red power light showing - Replace batteries on PANASONIC hand controller

Turn on TV by pressing channel (say 1) rather than the power button.

B

Blog Entries
    When ours did that it had died, the screen wasn't working anymore.

I hope your mother is Lucky.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Our Viera plasma does that. Just need to keep the button pressed down (or press it a couple of times) and eventually the green light comes on and then the screen.
    Funnily if it’s in standby and I click the sky mini box on the TV comes on straight away

Master
    What happens if you just power it on using the button and not the remote (old fashion style)

Thanks to everybody who replied. I’ve got it going thanks to the info provided. I’m up again in about 10 days time and if she’s had problems in the meantime, I won’t be a tight fist and get her a new one. In the meantime she has a small TV in the kitchen, an iphone 6+ bought off the forum, an upstairs iPad and a downstairs iPad with a cracked screen. Not bad gadget hoard for 85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    When ours did that it had died, the screen wasn't working anymore.

I hope your mother is Lucky.
    It is a symptom of screen starting to die. However I've kept my old Panasonic going for quite a few years.

Interesting. Just took my Panasonic 50 LED back to Currys this morning. Exactly as described by the OP. Prior to it shutting off, we occasionally got vertical lines for z few seconds...reckoned it was flagging. It clearly was.

Thing is, only bought it January 2017. Great picture but...

Currys were excellent. It's in their workshop. The year warranty is up but as it is hardly ffit for purpose, they will do an out of warranty claim and contribute to a new one.

Richer Sounds do a 6 year warranty...I'll use them for the next one.

Master
    With primarily solid state devices its usually something simple like a bad capacitor that is comparatively easy to fix.

I dread to think how many expensive displays end up in landfill because of a 1p capacitor.