closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dog GPS recommendations

Master

Dog GPS recommendations

Hi All,

So our little ‘treasure’ somehow managed to find a way out of our property (has been fine for 4 months and the whole area is dog proofed) and did a runner this evening. The whole family spent about 2 hours looking for him across the 20 miles fields and hedge rows behind our house. Luckily as the light was almost gone one of the kids found him about 1m from the house being a dipstick........ Lucky escape in my view, and honestly really horrible thinking that we might not have found him.

We will have to try and figure out where he managed to get out and plug the gap but it made me think some kind of GPS with associated app would have made finding him a damn sight easier. I have had a look on amazon and the reviews are mixed at best (and largely poor).

Does anyone have any experience of such things and have any recommendations?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would avoid anything without a SIM card - I have some of the key ring ones - they are handy but only really tell you where to start the search / last seen. It did make me persevere with a set of keys (in the wheelie bin) but the effective range is 10m or so and they rely on "crowd searching" (ie other peoples' phones) which won't help looking in fields for a dog.

Blog Entries
    Security of the garden/premises is the best answer really, as I'm sure you know, especially with the increase of dog thefts in the UK.

Saw this advertised but have no experience of it. Almost tempted myself, even though our spanner is usually pretty well supervised.
    https://getfindster.com/how-it-works.html

Master
    I agree about the security and the dogs have been in our new place for 4 months with no incidents so they must have either made or found a hole somewhere (my wife is convinced we have a Shawshank type things going on!). The issues is the garden around the house is huge and complex so finding the gap will be tough.

Findster looks like a good product though and you can have it alert you if they go beyond a certain distance which could be useful.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Security of the garden/premises is the best answer really, as I'm sure you know, especially with the increase of dog thefts in the UK.

Saw this advertised but have no experience of it. Almost tempted myself, even though our spanner is usually pretty well supervised.
    https://getfindster.com/how-it-works.html
    - - - Updated - - -

Are there any you have experience of or would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I would avoid anything without a SIM card - I have some of the key ring ones - they are handy but only really tell you where to start the search / last seen. It did make me persevere with a set of keys (in the wheelie bin) but the effective range is 10m or so and they rely on "crowd searching" (ie other peoples' phones) which won't help looking in fields for a dog.

My parents' current dog used to be a bit of a houdini and on one occasion was found next to a motorway so a lucky escape. On another day they received a phone call from Dublin Zoo asking if they were missing a small terrier; apparently he had been determinedly trying to get in the front door.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.