closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: pension pot lump sum advice

Blog Entries

pension pot lump sum advice

is there anyone on here thatcan help me with tax advice please, pm if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post

An IFA would be the right person, however if you have a pension pot of say £100k, you can take 25% of it tax free. The remaining 75% is taxed as it would if it was income. So if you had no other income £11k/year tax free, any more in a tax year will be taxed at 25%, then 40%, etc depending on how much to take.

There is one small wringle. If your pension pot grows to over 1.035M,then the money over that amount is taxed at 55%, and then taxed again when you start to draw down.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    There is one small wringle. If your pension pot grows to over 1.035M,then the money over that amount is taxed at 55%, and then taxed again when you start to draw down. If I may, just to expand, that is unless you applied previously for Individual protection for a "Lifetime Allowance" at HMRC. This value has slowly been reduced by the government.

IFA is without doubt the best course of action. If it costs 1k and saves 1.1k you are quids in.

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Find a good IFA. That is the best advice you'll get. If it's a trivial pension then look up the rules on the HMRC web site.
    In fact all the rules are on the HMRC site.

Before rushing to pay an IFA you would do well to read up on the HMRC/ .gov website and then ask any questions you may have on the MSE forums, a very helpful and knowledgeable group there.

Master
    You can also call Pension wise.
    I believe this was set up by the government to help with pension advice
    Colin

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cgs View Post
    You can also call Pension wise.
    I believe this was set up by the government to help with pension advice
    https://www.pensionwise.gov.uk/en?gc...SAAEgK8yvD_BwE

Colin

Blog Entries
    Thanx for all the advice, its only a small pension, the main question was that i worked a lot of overtime in 2017 and wont be doing the same this year, so is it better to send the signed forms back now or wait until after april the 6th?
    will i get taxed less on the pension?

Just remember that if your total income in the tax year goes above £123,000, you will lose ALL your personal allowance !!!

Income over £100,000
    Your Personal Allowance goes down by £1 for every £2 that your adjusted net income is above £100,000. This means your allowance is zero if your income is £123,000 or above.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    An IFA would be the right person, however if you have a pension pot of say £100k, you can take 25% of it tax free. The remaining 75% is taxed as it would if it was income. So if you had no other income £11k/year tax free, any more in a tax year will be taxed at 25%, then 40%, etc depending on how much to take.

There is one small wringle. If your pension pot grows to over 1.035M,then the money over that amount is taxed at 55%, and then taxed again when you start to draw down.
    Last edited by odyseus10; 18th March 2018 at 17:00.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Find a good IFA. That is the best advice you'll get.
    Yeah right. One was recommended to me. Wanted 3% of my pot value for the privilege, FFS !!

Needless to say, I found all the info I actually needed on the government website for free !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    Just remember that if your total income in the tax year goes above £123,000, you will lose ALL your personal allowance !!!
    i wish!

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post

Income over £100,000
    Your Personal Allowance goes down by £1 for every £2 that your adjusted net income is above £100,000. This means your allowance is zero if your income is £123,000 or above.

A proper 1st world problem that no longer affects me

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Yeah right. One was recommended to me. Wanted 3% of my pot value for the privilege, FFS !!

Needless to say, I found all the info I actually needed on the government website for free !
    In some cases you don't have a choice. Early cash in being one example.
    But some people will always go the DIY option. That's the beauty of having a choice. Glad that you had the time and the knowledge to make the DIY option work for you.
    Since only qualified people can give financial advice it might explain why this question is nearly always answered with " find a good IFA" WHEN answered on a forum don't you think?