closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A different kind of a raffle

A different kind of a raffle

Thought that it's time again to give something back to the local madhouse.

So here it is - I am proposing a bit of a different kind of a raffle. In order to participate, you don't have to pay anthing to any fund/ charity. All you got to do is to do something, well, nice towards another forum member. It can be a PM with a thank you for some help provided in the past or an apology for being a bit of an arse in the BP (or anywhere else). Or it can be something more concrete - like sending a strap or some such item. Or, whatever, be creative and find your own way to show some appreciation.

You don't have to share any detail about what and for whom (although, maybe it's not so bad to do it - some good vibes might be welcome), just add your name to the thread and I'll assume that you've done it.

The prize - well, the bezel doesn't quite align, the seconds hand doesn't quite hit the markers, but here it is, a glorious PRS3 (of the Zeno variety), mounted on a rather cool Toshi strap.

The raffle will take place this Sunday, late in the evening.

Cheers,
    Christian

Master
    Blog Entries
    What a lovely idea.

Nice idea! I think I qualify for a cousins rubber strap I sent a member the other day (if that's OK?)

That's a nice idea, I think we should champion the good things that happen here over and above the bickering.
    I sent a manky NATO to A member this week (He did specify he wanted manky). Not sure if it was a nice thing to be honest, the Russians had asked if they could use it for the basis of a new biological weapon due to the amount of DNA present.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 11th April 2018 at 14:10.

That’s a nice thing to do, can you win your own watch?

Lovely idea! I'd like to be in (I've sent Rev-O a Kiwi TV series that I think he might appreciate).

I sent Eddie (from this parish) some ladies quartz watches for him to dish out to his female acquaintances (after he'd fitted new batteries ). Hope that qualifies!

Not an entry for myself, but I’d like to nominate “Animalone” who has done a very kind deed for me without expectation of any reward.

An unexpected gesture from a generous soul.

There are some top chaps in the TZUK family.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    What a lovely idea.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Nice idea! I think I qualify for a cousins rubber strap I sent a member the other day (if that's OK?)
    You certainly do qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    That's a nice idea, I think we should champion the good things that happen here over and above the bickering.
    I sent a manky NATO to A member this week (He did specify he wanted manky). Not sure if it was a nice thing to be honest, the Russians had asked if they could use it for the basis of a new biological weapon due to the amount of DNA present.
    Bio-hazard or not, you're in :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That’s a nice thing to do, can you win your own watch?
    I can't, cause if I do, I don't do a very nice thing :D

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Lovely idea! I'd like to be in (I've sent Rev-O a Kiwi TV series that I think he might appreciate).
    No surprise that you're on-board (to be taken as a compliment!)

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I sent Eddie (from this parish) some ladies quartz watches for him to dish out to his female acquaintances (after he'd fitted new batteries ). Hope that qualifies!
    It does!

Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    Not an entry for myself, but I’d like to nominate “Animalone” who has done a very kind deed for me without expectation of any reward.

Nominating somebody else is an excellent idea, should have thought about it myself!

So... this raffle hasn't quite led so far to an avalanche of posts, but I'm fine with that :) It is after all a bit of a weird idea, to make kindness public and subject of reward. I'll run the raffle nevertheless on Sunday evening. Who knows, maybe there'll be some further contenders until then (maybe even nominated by other fellows, as suggested above!!).

Cheers,
    Christian

I'd also nominate Animalone for his sterling work listing each month's watch tally.

Nominate Scepticalist for sending me some very useful information out of the blue.

Also nominate triumph coupe for coming up with the thoughtful nominating initiative.

I’d like to nominate Andy100. Sold him a watch July 2016 (I think?!) and we’ve been in regular contact since. All round good guy and given me some great advice (read saved me!) a few times.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post

Agree with this 100%. A very generous man. He sent me a Patek loupe as a completion prize that I have still no idea how I won!

Nominate dougdarter for being so kind as to send me a leather NATO gratis - it's not been off my wrist since.

I'd like to nominate andrewcregan. He sold me a watch recently and knowing I'm partial to chocolate he included a lot of treats in the parcel that are unavailable to me in Finland. A very nice gesture that I appreciated.

Actually, I'd like to nominate Possu for services to the Finnish salmiakki industry.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

[the sound of people typing salmiakki into Google]

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    [the sound of people typing salmiakki into Google]
    On reflection, you might want to add veriohukainen to your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    On reflection, you might want to add veriohukainen to your search.
    Thanks C-B!

If may return the favour, we all know C-B is one of forum's finest, his generosity and kindess are the stuff dreams are made of.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    willie_gunn handmade me a fantastic strap/watch roll. wouldn't take a bean for his time/materials and insisted that money went to the fundraiser instead so I nominate him.
    Diamond, particularly since we are BP adversaries due to differing politics. Its good to set them aside everywhere else on the forum.

I'd like to nominate Kingstepper for making a contribution to the fundraiser by shipping off a NAS.

A few already nominated that I would endorse, and many more members who are regularly helpful.

I’d like to nominate Lampoc for being exceptionally generous and helpful with a watch I was trying to fix.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I will nominate

Pitch3110

For his exceptionally caring good manners and more.

Master
    I will nominate Neil Coppen for being a real nice guy who over the 15 years I’ve been here has dished out some great deals to many of this parish and also helped many and been a pal to me many times.

Can I nominate GOAT for going above and beyond and acquiring a Tudor on my behalf and posting it on to me. An unexpectedly generous gesture and much appreciated!
    It's just a matter of time...

I would like to nominate two people;

Neilw3030, who sent me a consolation prize in his charity auction even though I didn't win!

seadog1408 sent me a pair of Rolex shoulderless springbars for free in response to a comment I made about, er, shoulderless springbars!

I love this place.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Nominate dougdarter for being so kind as to send me a leather NATO gratis - it's not been off my wrist since.
    Another nomination for Doug Darter. Bought his PRS3LE off him, absolute pleasure to deal with, gave me some extras and also dropped the price (which I didn’t even ask for)!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bandylegss View Post
    I will nominate Neil Coppen for being a real nice guy who over the 15 years I’ve been here has dished out some great deals to many of this parish and also helped many and been a pal to me many times.
    Another one for Neil.C. I bought a watch and received it promptly. When it stopped the next day, Neil simply let me return it for a full refund. He didn’t have to, as it was working fine on arrival.

Few other nominations ...

ewan.w and smudge597 for free vouchers.

ryanb741 for helping me acquire a watch at a time when it wasn’t very easy to come by. Also for friendly advice regarding a different watch.
    Last edited by FK77; 13th April 2018 at 07:41.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'll put Mike (Seadog) forward. Sent me a wonderful Comex brass instrument holder that I shall someday make into a desk clock.
    Last edited by Dave O'Sullivan; 13th April 2018 at 01:07.

Master
    I'd like to nominate KavKav, as a thank you for the Hirsch Liberty strap help he gave me last year.

Craftsman
    I`ll nominate Dave O`Sullivan, for organising the "Take Time Project".

Well, it's official - for all my good intents, I can be an idiot. Instead of the rather awkward self-nomination, I should have asked from the very beginning to nominate another fellow for a gesture of kindness/ generosity... Many thanks to triumph coupe for coming up with this idea!

I'm very glad though that once this started to happen, the posts are adding up quickly and the raffle actually makes sense.

Cheers,
    Christian

I'd like to nominate sausage and Keyser for drinking beer with me.

Google's own 'Random number generator' decided that post nr 19 should be the chosen one, so it will be my pleasure to send the PRS3 to Carlton-Browne, hope he will enjoy it :)

In the end it was... an interesting experiment. There remained a bit of a difference between what I was hoping to achieve and the actual number of posts, be it a self-nomination or nominating somebody else. Maybe kindness should not have any transactional consequences, even if they are well meant. Also, as a second thought, it was a bit of a lesson about hubris.

Anyway, this being said, congrats once more to Mr C-B and many thanks to all who chose to participate.

Cheers,
    Christian

The perfect winner, and I am sure a popular choice.

I am delighted and honoured - many thanks to Christian for organising this and especially for his generosity.

A well deserved winner, and great thought and prize from Christian too!
    It's just a matter of time...

Excellent! Congrats Carlton-Browne and thank you Christian for organising.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    The perfect winner, and I am sure a popular choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    A well deserved winner, and great thought and prize from Christian too!
    Definitely, we'll done C-B.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Our friend Bertie has been through the wars recently so it's taken a little while to get this one to Berlin but it arrived yesterday and I'm delighted with it. Being more of a vintage persuasion it took me a while to get used to what is, effectively, a brand new watch and I think I've been through a number of strap options.

First the ones that didn't work:

The ones that have merit

And the surprise winner was this one although, inevitably it will almost certainly go back on the grey NATO.

I suspect that, if anything, this will only whet my appetite for a beaten-up issued CWC but we will see.

Once again, many thanks to Christian for yet another example of what makes this forum what it is.

What a great gesture!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Glad that it reached you safe and sound!

As for the background of your pics, looks like the perfect gent knows not only about the Love among the chicken, but also about the Secret life of cows :D

Cheers,
    Christian

Wonderful idea.

I would like to nominate PipPip for being so kind as to deliver my BPFF from Paris to Winchester, and then to agree to met me in the Holiday Inn.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

RTFT .

And a late entry on the strap front - yesterday a perlon-alike came from an Alibaba purchase I made about a month ago and promptly forgot about.

I suspect that straps with a bit of patina/texture work better to my eye.