closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Finding the perfect Steel toe cap boot solution

Finding the perfect Steel toe cap boot solution

After working away the last two weeks in Barrow my feet are finished! I have been working long hours and I need to stop the pain

I have been wearing Caterpillar generator boots

The sides of my big toes are very swollen (not blistered) and unbearably painful at the point where the toe meets the foot

I don't want to post pics ;)

I will pay anything to have comfortable feet!

Any suggestions please!!! I have been recommended XR3s and was wondering about boots with external caps? composite caps may also be good

Help!

Master
    Just replied to your pm yep haix xr3 are composite caps and I've never had the toe rubbing I had with my previous cat boots. I can't recommend them enough like slippers once the initial 2 days break in is over almost finished off my second pair now and I'll be replacing them like for like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear timberland pro hikers with a composite toe.
    They are like trainers, very comfortable.

I recently bought a pair of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-bo...-size-10/71321

They are extremely comfortable and I'm very pleased with them. I'd suggest going into your local branch and try them on for sizing.
    The reviews pretty much sum them up perfectly.

Blog Entries
    Buy a pair of Rossi or Redback aussie Chelsea safety boots, you'll never look back and your feet are very happy.

I'm usually an R.M. Williams man, but they don't do safety boots, and since I need them now and then, the above mentioned are perfect.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I won't talk about brands as I would be biased towards mine, but there are many factors that need to be considered, depending on your requirements.

If you just want an every day lightweight shoe/boot then the composite cap is the way to go. It passes all EN/ASTM/CSA anti penetration and impact tests but wears (feels) better than steel. Depending on the quality of footwear, the cap edge can wear through the lining pretty quickly.

Many brands now are seeking lighter weight materials, be that synthetics or knits, and using EVA midsoles with a PU outsole.

The more technical you get then you start to incorporate waterproof, antistatic, anti penetration, snake proof (yes, you heard it correct), thermals etc.

If you need any detailed assistance, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for all the help so far, plenty to look into

Chemical resistance is important but apart from that it is all about comfort

Master
    I used to wear CATs but since switching to dewalt I wouldn’t go back. Not sure on the model but the ones I have are exceptionally comfortable.

Master
    Altberg P3’s have been my safety boot of choice for the past few years. Once broken in they’ve been by far the most comfortable work boot I’ve had. They get a regular coating of Leder Gris which helps keep the leather supple and waterproof.

I dread to think how many miles they’ve covered over rough surfaces yet the soles show next to no signs of wear.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/the...-safety-boots/
    Last edited by Mr_Mac; 15th March 2018 at 17:26.

Craftsman
    Doc Martin safety boot fan here. The toe box on them, for want of a better word is nice and roomy, and bouncy DM soles.

Dave

Calling jimp to the G&D...

I used to wear redwings safety boots when I worked in China and I still say they are the best safety boots I ever wore...

Master

I had that problem until I bought a pair of Altberg Peace keeper VS, they come in different widths which gets rid of that problem. I’ve been wearing them every day for a year and have never had that problem since, I did change the footbeds though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a pair of safety boots by Stihl the chainsaw people. I find them really comfortable, they’re warm and recently have been great in the snow. Mine are a little like these ones:

https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...ety-boots.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    These are the only safety boots I have worn for the past 35 years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jallatte-Sa.../dp/B005HV5K8O

Only on site visits now but where super comfy to work in back in the day. Always a couple of old pairs in the garage as spares for gardening.

Pitch

I once swore by haix, but after destroying three pairs in a year (£400 worth!) I no longer recommend them!

I wear these now, usually for 12 hours a day 6 days a week, in all conditions, usually wet through! They lasted about 18months!

Lightweight, waterproof, grippy and more importantly comfortable!

http://www.safetybootsuk.co.uk/Cofra...i-p-90915.html

Craftsman
    Not steel toe cap but Doc Martens composite workboots. Someone on another forum reckons these were the most comfortable boots he’d ever worn. I think I’ll give them a go when I buy my next pair.

https://www.arco.co.uk/products/6DM0300

Last edited by Motman; 16th March 2018 at 08:14.

When you work on sites, do you have to prove somehow that your ppe is compliant with certain standards, just curious.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    When you work on sites, do you have to prove somehow that your ppe is compliant with certain standards, just curious.
    The sites I work on are very very strict about everything but no I have never been asked to prove compliance yet, I suspect in the event of any injury my PPE would be scrutinized

Thanks again for the suggestions I have ordered some composite trainer type shoes that have been recommended as well as a number of toe cushions etc from Amazon to try

I will still buy another pair and the last two linked are looking good to me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Altberg P3’s have been my safety boot of choice for the past few years. Once broken in they’ve been by far the most comfortable work boot I’ve had. They get a regular coating of Leder Gris which helps keep the leather supple and waterproof.

I dread to think how many miles they’ve covered over rough surfaces yet the soles show next to no signs of wear.

These.

I have worn mine for years in all matter of sites/locations/situations! cracking boot

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    These are the only safety boots I have worn for the past 35 years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jallatte-Sa.../dp/B005HV5K8O

Only on site visits now but where super comfy to work in back in the day. Always a couple of old pairs in the garage as spares for gardening.

Pitch
    Brilliant super comfy boot albeit not allowed on most construction sites these days :( no proper ankle support

I use De-Walt steelies. Quality not as good as it once was.
    My top tip with all steelies is to wear two pairs of socks like walkers do. Make sure you try the boot on while wearing the 2 pairs socks. I use a thinner liner sock and a thick double knit outer sock. It works for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Brilliant super comfy boot albeit not allowed on most construction sites these days :( no proper ankle support
    I know, crazy. I am happy on all our sites for riggers still to be worn..

Pitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I know, crazy. I am happy on all our sites for riggers still to be worn..

Pitch
    Started on Network rail way back when, they said no riggers allowed doing night possessions as if walking on or over the track and you slipped the ankle wouldn't be protected sufficiently so as sub contractors we had to tow the line then the main contractors eventually started to follow suit thereafter.

I still carry a pair in the van as some sites do allow riggers to be worn then I get to treat myself to a little comfort albeit for a short spell, Took me ages to get used to laced up boots :)

Bata Industrials. 3 width fittings, quality full grain, some leather lined, various styles and specs. You may need to order your particular configuration from Netherlands or Germany. I am fussy regarding footwear but these have always provided unfailing service.

Craftsman
    I ordered a pair of these last week. Came today and first impressions are very good. Comfortable for even my wide feet and very light. http://www.hall-fast.com/helly-hanse...SABEgJ8P_D_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post

+1 for Altbergs. Basically if you want a comfy boot, hiking boot, motorcycle boot, custom fit boot, Altberg is the answer. BTW I went onto a Keir site recently in Riggers and they made me wear a pair of their own safety boots. Riggers are on the way out sadly.

The best boots I have had are a pair of Wolverine Harden from Arco, expensive but light, comfortable and waterproof.

If you can get a pair they are great, Arco stock them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by r1ch View Post
    I recently bought a pair of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-bo...-size-10/71321

They are extremely comfortable and I'm very pleased with them. I'd suggest going into your local branch and try them on for sizing.
    The reviews pretty much sum them up perfectly.
    Got to agree, I've been wearing these for years, best boots I've ever had.
    Very light, never had them rub me and they are like slippers.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Well because I'm in and out of my boots a few times a day lately I bought a pair of redback safety boots which are like Chelsea boots and wow so comfortable it's unreal. For proper site work I'll stick to my haix for ankle support etc but for anything else redbacks are tough to beat comfort wise

I know these aren't technically boots but I've been wearing these to work for 9 years and they have never given as much as a blister,couldn't recommend them enough.

https://m.engelbert-strauss.co.uk/sa...80488-162.html

Master
    Done 30 years in safety footwear, i settled on dewalt apprentice and many years ago found them on sale at Arco so bought all they had in the shop in my size, I go up a size and sock up to suit, i select my socks very carefully, a thin pair of going out socks on first then a thicker boot style of sock over the top.

Just to update I bought a pair of Uvex safety trainers from Screwfix and they are incredible, the answer to all my problems and I am very happy (in fact I am planning on buying a spare pair)

Craftsman
    Due to a motorcycle accident in my teens I have to wear a boot with a built up sole. The effects of one leg being shorter than the other for over 20 years is chronic back ache, that was until I bought a pair of these https://www.northernarbsupplies.co.u...chainsaw-boots, they have pretty much rid me of the back ache and as an added bonus they seriously are the most comfortable things I have ever had on my feet, more comfy than any trainer or shoe to the point I've also bought a pair to wear at weekend when I go out walking. As stated they are chainsaw boots, which means kevlar protection around the ankle, bridge and sides of the foot, they also have steel toe caps and you can have them re soled when they wear out so should last a good few years.

Buy them, you will not regret it.

Edit, didn't see your last reply. Hope they sort your feet out