closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Trains - Splitting a journey?

Master

Trains - Splitting a journey?

In a few weeks I have a trip Manchester - London which seems to make sense on the highspeed train.
    However, on my return journey I'll be stopping for an afternoon in Birmingham to visit a friend, before returning back to Manchester.

What's the best way to ticket this?
    Can I just get a Manc-London return & jump off at Birmingham or do I need multiple singles?

Master
    Never used it but there was a website now apparently shut.

Haven't read this but may help:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/tickety-split

Depends on the train operator. Some eg Northern, let you split the journey. I'd check the website for the operator you'll be going with and see what they say.

The way fares work will probably be cheaper to split.

If you can find a really helpful staff member in a ticket office, it can work wonders.
    There are a few up here who help you save a fortune, as they know all the tricks

I regularly split journeys on a single/return ticket. Have asked a few times to be sure but always been advised its ok.

Obviously if you're on a specific timed ticket that's different but a standard or off peak return is usually fine

See (Google and download) National Rail Terms of Carriage for:

C. USE OF TICKETS

16. Starting, breaking or ending a journey at intermediate stations

You may start, or break and resume, a journey (in either direction in the case of a return ticket) at any intermediate station, as long as the ticket you hold is valid for the trains you want to use. You may also end your journey (in either direction in the case of a return ticket) before the destination shown on the ticket. However, these rights may not apply to some types of tickets for which a break of journey is prohibited, in which case the Ticket Seller must make this clear when you buy your ticket.

I thought that it was only on the return journey that you could do this, but that may have been one of the rail company's CoC.

Trains - Splitting a journey?

Off peak tix restricted to London Midland are less than half the costs of Virgin, although you’ll be looking at a journey of at least 90 mins longer.

So Manc-London return on London Midland, and break journey at Lichfield on the return, buying a cheap day return into Brum. Well, you did ask for the cheapest way.

Virgin West Coast doesn’t stop anywhere near Brum on the Manchester-London route.

My old man does Liverpool -London return on London Midland and pays around £30 for a walk up return fare. £80 on Virgin. Depends on how you value your time.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 14th March 2018 at 21:10.

Master
    Thanks everyone, thats given me a few ideas to look at. Cheers

I have done this journey using a Network Rail Card (gives you 1/3 off your train trips in the SE) and they used to sell me a ticket to Banbury and then a ticket from Banbury to Manchester so possibly look at splitting here and see if it saves you money.