closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko Snowflake

Banned

Grand Seiko Snowflake

I'm fancying the above and was wondering if anyone had any advice on the cheapest place to purchase a new (or nearly new) model? Also any advice from someone owning one of these would be great. I've never actually worn one but they really do look fantastic.

My advice would be: don't limit yourself to this model (SBGA011/SBGA211). Grand Seiko offer many, many different models with interesting and finely made dials. The so-called "snowflake" is merely one of them. Seemingly very popular with watch fans outside Japan because, I suspect, it was gushingly reviewed in English by a few influential sites who at the time hadn't much access to the full GS range, and "snowflake" is a lot easier to remember (and name-drop) than SBGA011. I'd pick something more original, personally. But your choice.

I had one for a couple of years... SBGA011. Very boring watch to be honest...

Master
    I have just taken mine out of the safe ready to wear tomorrow - anything but boring. Great build quality and detailing on the dial, hands and hour markers

Very drab looking in person. Photographs great otherwise. If you want a Grand Seiko don’t limit yourself to the Snowflake. There are better and more attractive alternatives in the line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    Very drab looking in person. Photographs great otherwise. If you want a Grand Seiko don’t limit yourself to the Snowflake. There are better and more attractive alternatives in the line up.
    I agree. It didn't look like snow built up - nothing fine and delicate about it - but rather the interior of a cave, covered in minerals, that had been chipped away harshly; I had expected to be wowed due to all the reviews, but was disappointed by the dial.

I realise they're all technically different due to how they're stamped out of a sheet of the material. But I can't see them differing enough to go from chipped mineral to snow drift.

Master
    New, probably Japan. Second hand, they're reasonably common on the SC. Boring is subjective. I have one and think it's very nice but as someone higher says, if the opportunity to get a different GS comes up at a good price, give it a go.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want one, just be patient and keep an eye on Chrono24. They regularly come up new unused from grey dealers for around the £4000 mark. There was one from a UK grey dealer a week ago for £4050

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    I had one for a couple of years... SBGA011. Very boring watch to be honest...
    A tad harsh but I do tend to agree. The watch isn't small (43mm) and the dial is quite plain so there's quite a bit of empty white, even more so with the new branding. The dial texture means that it isn't very dynamic either. I spent quite a bit of time with one in a shop trying to like it but, in the end, found it a little bleak/uninspiring. The all-round finishing though is sensational.

If I were the OP, I'd try to get to the boutique in London to try one on and see some other options.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    A tad harsh but I do tend to agree. The watch isn't small (43mm) and the dial is quite plain so there's quite a bit of empty white, even more so with the new branding. The dial texture means that it isn't very dynamic either. I spent quite a bit of time with one in a shop trying to like it but, in the end, found it a little bleak/uninspiring. The all-round finishing though is sensational.

If I were the OP, I'd try to get to the boutique in London to try one on and see some other options.
    It’s 41mm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    It’s 41mm.
    My apologies! It looks big(ger) on the wrist.

I tried one a few months ago in Taipei and I was a bit underwhelmed, which surprised me as I generally love seiko's dials - a favorite being the old weekdater.

Craftsman
    Maybe a bit off topic... but the peacock (SBGJ227) is quite something.. i have yet to see it in person though unfortunately.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    Maybe a bit off topic... but the peacock (SBGJ227) is quite something.. i have yet to see it in person though unfortunately.
    It is very nice, but better under a loupe. The worry for me on the Peacock is that the dial could look quite ugly a few years down the line when tastes move on (green is one of those colour).

Here's a pretty rubbish picture from my phone that has both a Peacock and Snowflake in it

Cheapest way to do it will be via a Japanese import. If you use a proxy to order from one of the Japanese marketplaces (e.g. Yahoo Auctions, Rakuten) you can do pretty well.

For example, until midnight today (Japanese time) Rakuten Japan is offering 10% off all listings. So you can get a good condition used GS snowflake for about £2600 plus proxy fees (not much, certainly less than £100 including the shipping fee) and import duties once it lands in the UK:

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/dskatou/14292/

The biggest issue will probably be whether the bracelet is long enough to fit your wrist...
    Last edited by SimonConnell; 8th March 2018 at 12:26.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    It is very nice, but better under a loupe. The worry for me on the Peacock is that the dial could look quite ugly a few years down the line when tastes move on (green is one of those colour).

Here's a pretty rubbish picture from my phone that has both a Peacock and Snowflake in it
    I'm not sure if it will look ugly in a few years' time but I do think it could be a little too 'rich' and tiring on the eye if it were the day to day watch.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonConnell View Post
    Cheapest way to do it will be via a Japanese import. If you use a proxy to order from one of the Japanese marketplaces (e.g. Yahoo Auctions, Rakuten) you can do pretty well.

For example, until midnight today (Japanese time) Rakuten Japan is offering 10% off all listings. So you can get a good condition used GS snowflake for about £2600 plus proxy fees (not much, certainly less than £100 including the shipping fee) and import duties once it lands in the UK:

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/dskatou/14292/

The biggest issue will probably be whether the bracelet is long enough to fit your wrist...

Yeesh, look at the bracelet end link fit against the case, both at 12 and 6. That doesn't look right at all?

Edit: thanks to mtagrant for the shots that show it's just a trick of the light and not a huge gap

Last edited by hughtrimble; 8th March 2018 at 15:36.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Yeesh, look at the bracelet end link fit against the case, both at 12 and 6. That doesn't look right at all?

Granted, that 6 position looks way off.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Granted, that 6 position looks way off.
    Having a look around at Snowflake shots, the position at 12 looks not uncommon, but the 6 definitely! But that gap at 12 seems sloppy when compared to the likes of Rolex and Omega. Is that (to me) poor fit between end link and case standard for GS?

Master
    That isn't a gap - it is actually metal at the end of the link and is an optical illusion. I will try to take photos of mine to demonstrate

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    That isn't a gap - it is actually metal at the end of the link and is an optical illusion. I will try to take photos of mine to demonstrate
    Oh I see, so like this, where the shiny end and sides to to the end link make it look like there's a gap when actually it's just polished metal meeting polished metal?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Oh I see, so like this, where the shiny end and sides to to the end link make it look like there's a gap when actually it's just polished metal meeting polished metal?
    Yes - that is it. Easier to see in the photo I just took...(even is it is a bit blurred) :)

Master
    Don't think it looks too shabby....

Great shots and thank you for the clarification!

The end-link fit on my GS is very impressive.

Interesting point about the Snowflake dial possibly being less 'dynamic' in it's nature - I'd never thought about that possibility. It's still pretty gorgeous though. I've read in a few places that their sun-ray finish champagne dial is the most complex dial that GS make, with more steps involved than even the Snowflake.

Master
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUZpCL7e3V8

Check Tim Mosso's recent review of a Spring Drive (SBGA001) with many references to the Snowflake dial, and also clarifies the "gap" mentioned above. Good detail on explaining the movement too - and dare I say it - first time I've seen him a bit flustered towards the end!

Master

Here's mine, love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post

Here's mine, love it!!

Is that a snowflake ?

Master

Here's mine, love it!!

Looks like an SBGA125 rather than a snowflake?

Master
    It is indeed Ben.

Grand Seiko Snowflake

I must say, I Iove my snowflake and don’t find it boring at all. The fit and finish are top class.

Let’s remember all this watch stuff is very subjective. Plus so many watches look good or not in pics but can then be very different when on the wrist! I use to think the Speedmaster was a dull watch in photos until
    I tried one on...I now own three!

Here's mine, love it!!

Ah the “Blizzard”, my favourite GS by far. Wish I had got one, when I had the chance.

Master
    Thank you, I knew it had something to do with snow I'll have to remember blizzard, cheers.
    It's also a LE but don't know if hey all are?

Thank you, I knew it had something to do with snow I'll have to remember blizzard, cheers.
    It's also a LE but don't know if hey all are?
    It was this review that initially had me interested in the SBGA125. I remember missing one in a Jura sale!
    https://timelessluxwatches.com/revie...bga127-review/

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

Let’s remember all this watch stuff is very subjective. Plus so many watches look good or not in pics but can then be very different when on the wrist!
    This is particularly true of GS. My SBGX009 comes across okay in pics, but I have never seen an image, from me or anyone else, that gets remotely near the presence it has in the metal. The interplay of light against the double-domed crystal, off the hands and markers, not to mention the ethereal almost glowing look to the dial.

I imagine the snowflake has even more trouble communicating its real-world character and finish via static images.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUZpCL7e3V8

Check Tim Mosso's recent review of a Spring Drive (SBGA001) with many references to the Snowflake dial, and also clarifies the "gap" mentioned above. Good detail on explaining the movement too - and dare I say it - first time I've seen him a bit flustered towards the end!
    I much prefer the SBGA001. The dial has a beautiful sunburst finish and the whole watch looks more expensive too. Much cheaper than the Snowflake and the bracelet is held by 1.6mm screws instead of cheap steel pins and collars as is the case with the titanium Snowflake and most other Ti Grand Seikos.

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Looks like an SBGA125 rather than a snowflake?
    Rather prefer this version. The dial area is not as expansive as it is in the 41mm Snowflake.

Grand Seiko Snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    This is particularly true of GS. My SBGX009 comes across okay in pics, but I have never seen an image, from me or anyone else, that gets remotely near the presence it has in the metal. The interplay of light against the double-domed crystal, off the hands and markers, not to mention the ethereal almost glowing look to the dial.

I imagine the snowflake has even more trouble communicating its real-world character and finish via static images.
    Quite on the contrary. For me it was excellent photography that drew me towards the Snowflake. In person is just too clinical looking and way too underwhelming for my taste. There is under the radar elegance which still maintains its presence and good looks. I just feel that the proprietary Ti alloy used in the Snowflake actually works against the watch in aesthetic terms.

To me these type of dressy/sport watches work and look much better on steel. I am a huge titanium proponent but I would have rather like the Snowflake much better on a steel 39-40mm case and steel bracelet.

And another takeaway of my Snowflake ownership stint is perhaps that I just don’t cozy up to white dials over the long haul.

Master
    If you are or a fan of white dials, you are probably never going to like the snowflake

Master

Grand Seiko Snowflake

It’s a lovely watch- have played with the idea of maybe moving it on but that’s only due to the thrill of trying something new. Quite versatile indeed:

Last edited by Watchdude; 10th March 2018 at 16:12.

My grail. Prefer the older model. Stunning watch!

Banned

Cracking looking watch

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I must say, I Iove my snowflake and don’t find it boring at all. The fit and finish are top class.

Let’s remember all this watch stuff is very subjective. Plus so many watches look good or not in pics but can then be very different when on the wrist! I use to think the Speedmaster was a dull watch in photos until
    I tried one on...I now own three!

I completely agree. I've owned and still own a few reasonably high end watches but have never liked the look of one as much as I do the Snowflake. Suits my tastes perfectly. Can anyone recommend the best/cheapest place to purchase one? I know those two words don't really go together, so let me rephrase to 'best value.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Deacons in Swindon have one in stock.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Deacons in Swindon have one in stock.
    Can't seem to find it on their website, also, they don't seem the cheapest?