closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's get serious - the fried breakfast

I'm all for fine dining and good ingredients but they're certainly not compulsory in a fried breakfast. A good fry up should be cheap and cheerful, served by Janice in greasy spoon café, presented with non matching cutlery and a large cup of builders tea.

If you're eating your fried breakfast in a 5 star hotel, you're doing it wrong. Those mornings are for Eggs Benedict or Smoked fish.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I'm all for fine dining and good ingredients but they're certainly not compulsory in a fried breakfast. A good fry up should be cheap and cheerful, served by Janice in greasy spoon café, presented with non matching cutlery and a large cup of builders tea.

If you're eating your fried breakfast in a 5 star hotel, you're doing it wrong. Those mornings are for Eggs Benedict or Smoked fish.
    Wise words Chris, definitely a greasy spoon for a fry up.

A lot of poncing up of a simple meal on here - rammekins indeed!

I'm also a fan of US diners, fry up along with a short stack of pancakes with maple syrup on the side, with normal coffee not some latte or similar.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Sausages x2, no fruity novelties, pork and more pork. Bacon x2, smoked, back or streaky. If back cut off the rind when done and pop them back in the pan while plating up for some extra crispy loveliness.
    Black pudding, Stornaway, fried. Eggs x2 large, free range, fried. Toms, fresh, halved, fried.
    Toast, marmalade for the second slice. Tea, hot, sweat, loads of.
    No beans, what's wrong with you people. They have there place, students and veggies, but absolutely not on a meat and grease masterpiece.
    J

Journeyman
    For me.. ideal would be.
    Good quality sausages
    Butchers back bacon
    Has to be fried egg with runny yolk but not snotty.
    Good quality Black pudding I do not agree that these are the same but finding a good one is difficult any help on where to find down south would be good.
    White pudding love the stuff wish I could get it more readily
    White toast
    Potato cakes yes please
    I like beans hienz but on the side with some HP sauce mixed in.
    Tomatoes I can take or leave.
    And a sweet sugary tea when hungover

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Simply...

Sausages x2, Bacon x2, Fried egg (sunny side up), Beans, Grilled tomatoes, Fried mushrooms.... toast if hungry but definitely lots of tea.
    I'm sure it's illegal to only have one egg.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    Lets face it... Mums make the best fry up's.

Everything else is trivial.
    Rofl

I’ll let you tell Mrs McB!! 😜😜

Craftsman
    THE least important thing is black pudding. If you eat black pudding for breakfast then stay the hell off your thread - your opinion isn't wanted here!

And that goes for white pudding and haggis.

If you are in the area I do definitely recommend giving the Super Sausage on the A5 a visit, was our regular until we moved a few k miles away. Genuinely excellent breakfast, lots of choice, cooked how you want it. And their sausages and bacon are lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I always remember Sunday breakfasts that my dad used to cook. Mum'd be off at church, dad and I'd give the house a tidy and hoover round and then breakfast prep would start.
    Sunday breakfast was a serious business, mum got home from church at about 11am so it was treated like a full meal.
    Fresh ground coffee from a percolator filling the house with it's aroma

To start with,
    tinned plum tomatoes heated up on toast. The juice drained off as much as possible and the lucky one got the juice in a glass with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.

The main event.
    Bacon, smoked back naturally.
    Eggs, fried, crispy edged, runny yolk, oil splashed over none of this flipped over nonsense.
    Sausages, good quality butcher made ones.
    Black pudding, crispy on the outside soft in the middle.
    Fried bread - dipped in bacon grease and toasted or just fried in a pan - as long as it doesn't explode when you put a knife to it.
    Sauteed potatoes - always cook more potatoes than necessary for Saturday evenings meal let them dry overnight for super crisp ones.
    Endless toast.
    Occasionally there would be fried kidneys which were a rather pleasant addition.
    Lots of pepper on the egg yolks, a sprinkle of salt on the fried bread and dig in

If you're still hungry.
    More toast with marmalade - Thursday cottage for a special treat.

Beans, ketchup or brown sauce had no place in the house and certainly were anathema to the breakfast table.

That's a proper English breakfast.
    Much to like here, nice inventive touch with the tomato juice and dash of Worcestershire sauce too.

Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    I’m really surprised at the amount that want ‘quality this a quality that’. I’m certainly in the minority but when I’m going in on a fry up, I don’t want quality. That’s for a mixed grill of a lunch etc. I want to slum it in my boxers, on the sofa, in a bean juice soaked string vest and to feel the grease oozing from my pores.
    The best fry-ups come from outside of the home - from the greasiest, filthiest greasy spoon you can find.

Too much meat in a sausage elevates it to health food status.

I've nothing against an occasional snobby breakfast if nothing better is on offer and have eaten of a morning all over the uk and Ireland - ranging from the Ulster fry to the "full" English (though my Irish friends are somewhat contemptuous of the word "full" - wondering, if it's so full, where the rest of it is...), but a good fry up should be incredibly bad for one's health or its just not proper.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 14th March 2018 at 23:41.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

Beat me to it! The point has been spectacularly missed by so many thus far!

Master
    I'd have to disagree with this quality has no place stuff. There is a greasy spoon just outside Milton Keynes on the A6 called 'the super sausage' that is a prime candidate for this kind of thing but their sausages are palid tubes of bread, bone and gristle, spoiled an otherwise fine fry up especially as, given the name of the place, i had raised expectations of their bangers.
    I'd agree that the minimum acceptable quality of fry up ingredients is lower than usual but there is still a minimum.
    Also, 5 star hotel or roadside cafe, no amount of Eggs Benedict is going to satisfy a fry up craving.

Quote Originally Posted by L8_M8 View Post
    Good quality Black pudding I do not agree that these are the same but finding a good one is difficult any help on where to find down south would be good.

Have a look in Tesco for "Speyside Specialities" blackpudding. I really rate it.

It is Scottish-style in that it doesn't have that repulsive big lumps of white fat that seems to prevail in England.

Also - Ramsays of Carluke do a very good black pudding (and other products) and do mail-order.

https://www.ramsayofcarluke.co.uk/black-pudding/.

When I was a lad there used to be 'Green cured back bacon with rind on' - whatever happened to that? Haven't seen that in years.

I'm a +1 for only high quality ingredients. I won't touch low end sausages ever since my Vegan Biology teacher back at school told me what went into them back in the 1980's, but oddly enough I'll eat a haggis - go figure!!!

Craftsman
    Eggs must be fried “over easy” with black pepper and a good splash of Tabasco

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Have a look in Tesco for "Speyside Specialities" blackpudding. I really rate it.

It is Scottish-style in that it doesn't have that repulsive big lumps of white fat that seems to prevail in England.

Also - Ramsays of Carluke do a very good black pudding (and other products) and do mail-order.

https://www.ramsayofcarluke.co.uk/black-pudding/.
    Charles MacCleod (Charley Barley) of Stornoway Pudding fame also does mail order and has a list of stockists countrywide on the website.

https://www.charlesmacleod.co.uk
    Last edited by Mr Nuttington; 15th March 2018 at 18:02.

If possible substitute the 'bangers' with 'lorne sausage',
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Black and white pudding is a must for a fry up, As others have said, Stornaway is excellent but Aultbea is also tremendous.
    Good Sausages, streaky bacon and fried eggs.
    Toast with a thick layer of butter also.

As I’ve got older my willingness to eat rubbish quality food has diminished. I still occasionally eat greasy spoon cafe food, ditto KFC, Greggs pasties and kebabs from the local Stavros but now that unhealthy food is an occasional treat I prefer to go for better quality.

One compromise place I’d recommend for a really good cooked brekky is the Bishopsgate Kitchen, near Liverpool Street station. Far better than a skanky cafe without going all out 5-star

Have a butchers at this, sign up to the newsletter. We have had this several times for £9.99 and free delivery. Excellent stuff.

https://www.campbellsmeat.com/produc...-meat-box.html

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Have a butchers at this, sign up to the newsletter. We have had this several times for £9.99 and free delivery. Excellent stuff.

https://www.campbellsmeat.com/produc...-meat-box.html
    Brilliant site, bookmarked.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

It’s probably a bit of inverse snobbery, but I often find cooked breakfasts at better hotels to be a bit lacking, and tend to prefer greasy spoon establishments. The problem is that hotels tend to get a bit too caught up in the whole locally sourced/artisan malarkey particularly with the lack of beans - which I’m firmly of the opinion are an essential part of the cooked breakfast (too dry without them), and I sometimes think high-fat, medium-grade sausages have more flavour.

Popped to the butchers this morning
    They have a new breakfast pudding
    'The Brunch Pudding'
    It's white pudding with bits of black pudding and smoked bacon inside.
    That's breakfast tomorrow sorted :-)

TOMORROW AT 9* - CLASH OF THE TITANS!

So many people here seem to be pro-Branston/anti-Heinz that I have to put this to the test myself.

*time may vary according to when I can be bothered to get up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Popped to the butchers this morning
    They have a new breakfast pudding
    'The Brunch Pudding'
    It's white pudding with bits of black pudding and smoked bacon inside.
    That's breakfast tomorrow sorted :-)
    Do you mind sharing the name of the butchers?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    TOMORROW AT 9* - CLASH OF THE TITANS!

So many people here seem to be pro-Branston/anti-Heinz that I have to put this to the test myself.

*time may vary according to when I can be bothered to get up.
    You need to switch the watches round as HBB are the dogs.....................................

Mmmm fry ups.

For those that drive a lot, Gloucester services do a mighty breakfast.

Master
    Got a tray of Branson beans from Costco and the family slagged me off..... until they tasted them and now say they are better than Heinz

Craftsman
    I can’t believe that everyone, EVERYONE, has missed out the best ingredient of a fried breakfast. I’ll say just one word. BUBBLE!!!

Best bubble is Boxing Day bubble made with leftover Christmas dinner roasties, sprouts, carrots and parsnips.

Oh, and the toast must be lightly toasted, stood in a rack (no soggy sides) and eaten only when it has gone cold.

Craftsman
    I grilled sausage and bacon but got clever by lining the tray first. I’d no foil so used bread thinking I could throw it. By time all was cooked the best bit was the bread after soaking up all the cooking juices. Like fried bread but on steroids.
    Instant heart attack stuff I’d imagine but balls to it

Baked Beans mustn't touch the fried egg on the plate.
    Everyone says I’m weird when I state, “nothing red touching the egg” unless it’s omelette then it’s good.
    Oh and bread needs to be fried, oh yes

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    It’s probably a bit of inverse snobbery, but I often find cooked breakfasts at better hotels to be a bit lacking, and tend to prefer greasy spoon establishments. The problem is that hotels tend to get a bit too caught up in the whole locally sourced/artisan malarkey particularly with the lack of beans - which I’m firmly of the opinion are an essential part of the cooked breakfast (too dry without them), and I sometimes think high-fat, medium-grade sausages have more flavour.
    I have found exactly that, much prefer sausages with a lower meat content taste wise. Lived in South Africa for some time and never really liked boerewors, too meaty.

Anyone else do their scrambled eggs in the microwave?

No more scrubbing pans for me, and do it slow enough (with plenty of stirring) and you end up with the creamiest eggs. Yum!

Ok, I admit it - I was wrong. Branston beans are nicer than Heinz beans. I am converted - my original post has been updated.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Sometimes. You have to time it exactly right though - as little as 10 seconds too long and the eggs are ruined.

Master
    Most weekends we have bacon, sausage, egg, tomato and when available mushrooms. All home reared / grown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes. You have to time it exactly right though - as little as 10 seconds too long and the eggs are ruined.
    Microwaving scrambled eggs has to be the closest thing to coitus interruptus you can do with your clothes on. Although it's worth experimenting with slow/defrost settings.

Ok, I admit it - I was wrong. Branston beans are nicer than Heinz beans. I am converted - my original post has been updated.

Went to the supermarket this morning, thinking: "Branston beans - must get some and try them"

And forgot!!!!

Grrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Microwaving scrambled eggs has to be the closest thing to coitus interruptus you can do with your clothes on. Although it's worth experimenting with slow/defrost settings.
    I takes a bit of patience I grant you, but better than scrubbing a pan of egg glue.

If you initially put the mixture in for 1 minute, this gets it warm but uncooked. Then about 10, 10-15 second blast stirring each time, and you can judge it to perfection.

Welcome to the world of Branston, and well done for coming out publicly. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Let's get serious - the fried breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Welcome to the world of Branston, and well done for coming out publicly. ;-)
    My kids can tell when I’ve been a cheapskate and bought Branston beans, without even seeing the can.

Craftsman

No more scrubbing pans for me, and do it slow enough (with plenty of stirring) and you end up with the creamiest eggs. Yum!
    I do. Either or knob of butter or a drop of single cream really goes well with this method too.

My Friday morning usual.

Job done.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    My Friday morning usual.

Job done.

R
    Ahh two eggs, looks surprisingly like my Thursday usual!

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    I can’t believe that everyone, EVERYONE, has missed out the best ingredient of a fried breakfast. I’ll say just one word. BUBBLE!!!

Best bubble is Boxing Day bubble made with leftover Christmas dinner roasties, sprouts, carrots and parsnips.

Oh, and the toast must be lightly toasted, stood in a rack (no soggy sides) and eaten only when it has gone cold.
    You are dead right, I withdraw my earlier statement saying potato based products have no place on a breakfast plate, if it’s bubble and squeak it’s very acceptable and very agreeable indeed. Good call that sir, I salute you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I never have a fry up at home but love hotel cooked breakfasts. Only the 7 sausages on the plate. It was in a London Hilton so no tattie scone or square sausage. It was lovely !

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bacon looks a bit under cooked, otherwise not bad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Bacon looks a bit under cooked, otherwise not bad.
    I am in a minority as I dont like crispy bacon.

I've read all the hype about Branston beans and worked for premier foods for several years, visiting the branston factory on numerous occasions. I was with the brand during their sale to mizkan.

I only eat Heinz beans...

... and Pete... you're a funny guy but an unhygienic spiteful tw+t and I'll never eat anything you ever make!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I never have a fry up at home but love hotel cooked breakfasts. Only the 7 sausages on the plate. It was in a London Hilton so no tattie scone or square sausage. It was lovely !

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The key - is sitting down to a full cooked breakfast, that you haven't had to cook yourself.

But - the scrambled eggs are peely-wally, and need a knob of butter when making.

Black pudding is that shit stuff from an English wholesaler

The rest is passable.

Blog Entries
    The key - is sitting down to a full cooked breakfast, that you haven't had to cook yourself.

But - the scrambled eggs are peely-wally, and need a knob of butter when making.

Black pudding is that shit stuff from an English wholesaler

The rest is passable.
    The black pudding was actually nice but not as good as some of my local butchers.