closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's get serious - the fried breakfast

Master
    What's the obsession with the beans not touching the eggs?!

For me it has to be:

- Crispy bacon, pref smoked
    - Decent sausages - have started grilling them now
    - Baked beans - normally Heinz, but I'm not fussed as long as they're not all thin and runny
    - Eggs - scrambled or fried, but I do love a good poached egg (probably not as part of a fried breakfast though)
    - Mushrooms
    - Tomatoes
    - Toast
    - Choice of ketchup, brown sauce and mustard
    - Tea

ALL on the same plate so they can be mixed up as required. Anything can touch anything else.

Master
    Peeled plum tomatoes mixed with Heinz beans is a must.
    Of course high quality sausages and bacon are vital too.
    Black pudding, a good breakfast mushroom and the thickest bread possible toasted and lathered in real butter.
    Fresh orange juice to start and a decent cup of Rosie to wash it all down.

Quote Originally Posted by nickk View Post
    I'm assuming the Ulster boys will be along shortly to put you all right, but anything with baked beans and no soda farl, just scrape it into the bin.
    Too right!!

Get a toasted soda on there now! (and fried potato farl).

Blog Entries
    Breakfasts are like beer to me, there's great ones and not so good ones but all are still beer!

Most any breakfast cooked by someone else is on my menu.
    Had breakfasts all over the place from Sainsbury's to nice hotels and greasy cafes. Some good some not so good, but none wasted!!

One of the best was a cafe called Eamonn's Cafe in the 70s and 80s. Used to get the builders in for their breakfasts and it was a plateful of fried goodness with a bucket of tea.
    Unfortunately rationed to one fried breakfast a week now by the carer.

And I'd eat all the ones on this thread I reckon, as long as there's 2 eggs. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to only have 1 egg.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    Peeled plum tomatoes mixed with Heinz beans is a must.
    Of course high quality sausages and bacon are vital too.
    Black pudding, a good breakfast mushroom and the thickest bread possible toasted and lathered in real butter.
    Fresh orange juice to start and a decent cup of Rosie to wash it all down.
    That sounds excellent but what is this 'orange juice' you speak of?

Tomatoes with fry-up is just wrong. Stornoway black pudding is an essential however.

Craftsman
    I’m really surprised at the amount that want ‘quality this a quality that’. I’m certainly in the minority but when I’m going in on a fry up, I don’t want quality. That’s for a mixed grill of a lunch etc. I want to slum it in my boxers, on the sofa, in a bean juice soaked string vest and to feel the grease oozing from my pores.

Craftsman
    For me the key is to have 2 types of egg; scrambled and fried. I'm also a supporter of proper hash browns.

Grand Master
    Much as I like the traditional fry- breakfast, I can’t stomach it first thing in the morning! My enthusiasm for this type of food is zero at breakfast time, a bowl of cereal with a few raisins and dates plus a big mug of earl grey tea is far more palatable. However, after 2-3 hrs I’m hungry, so I have substantial lunches and by 12 o clock I can murder a fry- up, especially after a brisk walk or trip to the gym.

Ideal mid- day breakfast for me is any decent sausage, good quality bacon, baked beans with HP brown sauce thrown in, fried egg, tinned tomatoes boiled down to thicken them up, and toast ( white or brown not fussy)

Staying in hotels in Britain is frustrating, I can’t do the cooked breakfast justice. Instead I make sandwiches with the sausage and bacon, wrap them in a paper napkin and sneak them out in my pocket ( or wifeys handbag) to be enjoyed later in the morning. Wifey gives me the blackest look imaginable, she doesn’t approve, but she’s gotten used to it...........my dad as just the same!

Paul

Poached eggs on toast, black pudding, hash browns, beans, tea.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    The best cooked breakfasts I’ve had have been in Scotland. Venison sausages and fried oatmeal, omnomnom.

These days I fry very little, so my sausages (from a good butcher) and bacon (dry cured and smoked) are cooked in the oven, and the eggs poached. Vine tomatoes grilled.

Black pudding is best sliced and eaten as-is, it doesn’t need frying or grilling. I’ve had to set waitresses straight when they’ve said “you can’t eat it raw!” It’s a cooked meat product- if it was raw it would be a bucket of blood!

Sourdough bread with a good salted whey butter.

Baked beans- preferably Heinz but thanks to the salt and sugar nazis I add a good pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar. And they have to be heated slowly in a pan, not microwaved unless you want bullets in watery gloop. Most importantly of all they have to be in a separate bowl SO THEY DONT TOUCH THE EGG.

And this talk of teabags is just wrong. I use loose leaf tea most of the time but as a cooked breakfast is an occasional indulgence why compromise on the tea? We need something stronger than a regular breakfast tea, so I’d go with a good Assam.
    DM you are a sick individual my friend.
    Cold Black Pudding FFS.
    I must insist on grilled black pudding(Orkney Best) but everything else fried.
    Eggs done last in a clean pan.

Master
    Fried egg > Scrambled best

It’s the best when the yoke mixes with the other ingredients and u mop it up with toast.

Single origin Ethiopian drip coffee would be my weapon of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Poached eggs on toast, black pudding, hash browns, beans, tea.
    Normally have poached eggs on toast on days no fried breakfast is available. Free range eggs and home made bread with loads of butter.

Sausages - preferably pork and apple
    Bacon - quality back, not too thick
    [edited - Poached eggs]
    Chopped tomatoes, with a dash of beef stock
    Black pudding
    White pudding
    Potato cakes
    Soda farl/bread
    Scotch pancakes
    Heinz beans optional.

With sweet tea, or a milky coffee
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 14th March 2018 at 09:29.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Sausages - preferably pork and apple....or a milky coffee
    Ooh, contentious...imho there is no place for any fruit (however small the dose) in a fry up, or for milk in coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by stifflersmom View Post
    Ooh, contentious...imho there is no place for any fruit (however small the dose) in a fry up, or for milk in coffee.
    No argument from me on either point.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Has to be Richmond sausages for me, fried bread is also a must. Prefer a couple of plum tomatoes rather than fresh, eggs fried or poached but yolks MUST be runny.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by stifflersmom View Post
    I’m sure there are lots of other sausage options that would work, but having pork and apple done in the oven make the skins caramelise and they taste amazing!

I can't stand coffee or tea without milk, so each to their own on that score :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I always remember Sunday breakfasts that my dad used to cook. Mum'd be off at church, dad and I'd give the house a tidy and hoover round and then breakfast prep would start.
    Sunday breakfast was a serious business, mum got home from church at about 11am so it was treated like a full meal.
    Fresh ground coffee from a percolator filling the house with it's aroma

To start with,
    tinned plum tomatoes heated up on toast. The juice drained off as much as possible and the lucky one got the juice in a glass with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.

The main event.
    Bacon, smoked back naturally.
    Eggs, fried, crispy edged, runny yolk, oil splashed over none of this flipped over nonsense.
    Sausages, good quality butcher made ones.
    Black pudding, crispy on the outside soft in the middle.
    Fried bread - dipped in bacon grease and toasted or just fried in a pan - as long as it doesn't explode when you put a knife to it.
    Sauteed potatoes - always cook more potatoes than necessary for Saturday evenings meal let them dry overnight for super crisp ones.
    Endless toast.
    Occasionally there would be fried kidneys which were a rather pleasant addition.
    Lots of pepper on the egg yolks, a sprinkle of salt on the fried bread and dig in

If you're still hungry.
    More toast with marmalade - Thursday cottage for a special treat.

Beans, ketchup or brown sauce had no place in the house and certainly were anathema to the breakfast table.

That's a proper English breakfast.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Tomatoes with fry-up is just wrong. Stornoway black pudding is an essential however.
    Absolutely - Charley Barley pudding is compulsory, even down here in southern England.

Scrambled eggs made in a pan not nuked
    Sausages from the butcher we use -they do a version with London Pride thrown in the recipe which are yum, Lorne sausages is equally as good.
    Smoked Streaky bacon from the same - no white gunk leaking out.
    White and black pudding
    Tatty Scone
    Mushrooms
    Crusty slice of toast with real butter on the side.
    That is all....
    No beans or tomatoes as anything with tomatoes is is the food of the devil.

Can't believe yet to be included in the ultimate breakfast is breadcrumb coated cockles fried (warmed) with a sizeable dollop of laverbread.
    Good quality bacon, sausages, free range eggs, toast with salted butter some of that McClouds black pudding (no other black pud even comes close) all go some way to making up that classic start to the day, especially so when wearing a head from the night before

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    There seems to be a lot of trivial posts on the forum right now about missing post, 26 million dollars etc so let's ramp it up with a serious and controversial subject - the fried breakfast. This article on the BBC website got me thinking - what is the perfect fried breakfast? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43372765

THE most important thing is sausages. If you eat value Asda sausages for breakfast then stay the hell off my thread - your opinion isn't wanted here. Newmarket sausages are by far and away the best. I prefer them cooked in the oven but fried is acceptable too. Proper Lincolnshire sausages from a butcher are also good.

Bacon. Smoked back from a butchers that hasn't been injected with half a pint of water per pack like the crap that Tesco sell which oozes a weird jism like substance during frying.

Some people say baked beans should never be part of a fry-up. Those people are deluded. Heinz only.

Mushrooms. Fresh and fried - none of that tinned junk.

Tomatoes. Fresh and fried - none of that tinned junk (again).

Eggs. I prefer scrambled, cooked in a pan with butter and pepper. NOT microwaved - this isn't a Little Chef.

Black pudding. Fried. It's all pigs blood and oatmeal - who cares where you buy it from.

Bread and butter, not toast. You can't mop up properly with toast. A freshly sliced sandwich loaf is best but I also quite like Warburtons - it seems to stay fresher for much longer. Good job Warburtons chemical additive division!

Finally, a mug of tea made with a decent tea-bag. None of this pretentious leaf in a teapot sh*t - it's not 1950. Milk, 1 sugar.

I look forward to everyone agreeing with my choice, otherwise you're wrong.
    See.. it's kinda funny how you can be serious about things like your sausage and bacon choices, but then when it comes to tea, you're content with just tea-bag tea! I wouldn't really argue with your breakfast breakdown but I would say, for me, a proper pot of tea with a really decent malty Assam or similar would just compliment it nicely! I'd be happy to bin the grilled tomatoes and go with a change, from my childhood that my mum ALWAYS used to do, which is tin of beans and tin of chopped tomatoes mixed together!

Anyone who has chips with a breakfast.. well.. sorry, I've no time for you :D :)

Master
    1000 words

Right, I think the OP is wrong on many counts, this is how it should be:

Sausages, from local Butcher, simple Pork/Cumberland/Lincolnshire recipe's. No earholes & arseholes Economy crap.
    Bacon Smokes streaky, none of that loin in extra lean nonsense which lacks flavour.
    Burford Brown Eggs, definitely poached and definitely runny
    Black pudding and/or haggis cut half inch thick and fried
    Beans can be used, but definitely not Heinz, must be Branston instead.
    Tomato, cut into a crown for more surface area, liberally sprinkled with coarse sea salt and baked.
    Portobello mushroom
    Crusty French stick liberally buttered
    Brown sauce
    Never any Spud product of any kind is acceptable fodder at breakfast time!

Steaming hot Latte coffee, strong, no sugar and full fat milk. Possible addition of further crusty French Stick, butter and Marmalade or a Pain au Raisin/Croissant

Generally best cooked in an Aga or fried in lard.

Yumma you were doing so well until the Latte and French stick...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    1000 words
    Now that is a fried breakfast plate! Like the hot chilli sauce addition. Made me hungry.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Aaaahhhhhh well you see. Are you talking full Scottish or full eh English??

Either way has to be:

Fried eggs - salt copiously applied to yolk
    Crispy smoked bacon
    Shrooms
    Lorne sausage
    Link sausage
    Sweet clootie dumpling
    Fried bread
    Black pudding
    Tattie scones
    Brown and red sauce.

None of that haggis nonsense - says the fervent Scotsman.

mug of sweet tea and a Scottish burnt roll with Lurpak buddah to put the sausage on.

Now you know why we scots have arteries like an Englishman’s wallet - closed and devoid of valuable stuff

Jim
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 14th March 2018 at 10:33.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    1000 words
    I want one of THOSE bad boys and NOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Hehehe! We've all got our strange ways, they are mine. I could go to an Americano and maybe a Farmhouse bloomer. That'd be my concession.

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    Good lord Lampoc, I thought you would know better. I have had an Ulster fry, a full Scottish and I once sat down in a hotel in north wales and asked for a full English, I was only young at the time, that's my excuse. Being a Londoner it is certain that the best breakfast comes from there and 100% the best black pudding is from the old country and is called Clonakilty.
    I shall be monitoring you.........................................

http://www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie/
    I quite like it but worried traditionalists may be concerned that it's made from beef blood rather than pig's blood.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Whatever other items you have in you breakfast, you must have baked beans, they must be Branston (not Heinz slop) and they must be heated in the frying pan you cooked your bacon in.
    Absolutely correct - Branston Beans are superior in every respect v Heinz

I have tried a lot of different things throughout my time thus far, for breakfast.
    This isn't one of them, but I'm damn sure eggs and bacon in a Yorky pud would work out really well.
    Joyo!

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie

I feel feel compelled to assess this claim....

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Absolutely correct - Branston Beans are superior in every respect v Heinz
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Best full english I've ever had was in a Scottish castle!

Wild boar sausages
    Smoked thick cut bacon (rind on)
    Sliced fried haggis
    Fried field mushrooms
    Buttered scrambled eggs
    Fried bread
    Fried toms
    Baked beans
    HP sauce

Heaven!

Craftsman
    Branston beans are great , Heinz are rubbish these days .....do like a hash brown and black dagg as we call black pudding

Beans means.... Branston!!!

-Sausage can be what I fancy on the day so long as it's quality and fresh

-Smoked back bacon with rind off

-Beans must be Branston

-HP Brown Sauce

-Two fried eggs with white trimmed off

-White toast with butter

-Yorkshire tea with just a splash of milk and one sugar

However tomatoes, mushrooms and black pudding have no place on the plate. I'm amazed how many people eat black pudding - even the thought makes me gag.

Master

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    Genius

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    And the french pastry which while delicious has no place in/around the fry-up. Mushrooms - chestnut for me. Hash browns are an american invention/abomination and the bread some kind of sourdough, lightly toasted and unsalted butter. However that yorks pud combo raises the bar.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post

Single origin Ethiopian drip coffee would be my weapon of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It has to be tea…. Always tea ☕️

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Two rashers of dry smoked bacon from the local butcher, cooked until the rind goes crispy
    mushrooms sauted with pepper - no oil, grease, etc.
    Egg - fried in the bacon fat
    two slices of white bread (sandwich loaf) from the local baker with Anchor spreadable.
    1 Sausage - Heck pork (Waitrose)
    4 vine tomatos - fried
    left over mashed potato - fried with pepper and salt - no oil, fat, etc.
    Beans - Branston
    tea - Yorkshire, milk and a sweetener.
    No ketchup or brown sauce - as it's sh*t.

All cooked by me every Saturday.
    I will go with this one.. but.....

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee
    Sriracha extra hot chilli and garlic sauce

Regards

V

Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    100% the best black pudding is from the old country and is called Clonakilty.

http://www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie/
    Truly superior stuff - I could happily munch through an entire plate of that alone. Much rougher texture, with large oatmeal pieces, means a larger surface area so it crisps beautifully when fried and has a nice 'bite' to it, but still with a soft inner.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    And the french pastry which while delicious has no place in/around the fry-up. Mushrooms - chestnut for me. Hash browns are an american invention/abomination and the bread some kind of sourdough, lightly toasted and unsalted butter. However that yorks pud combo raises the bar.
    Hehehe, The Pastry is kind of like pudding to the nice savoury brekkie element, sometimes nice to throw in a starter of fresh fruit, muesli and yogurt too! - I hear them screaming "what a heathen" and the clattering of TZ'ers gathering pitch forks.

This is my pre-Skiing Chalet breakfast of choice, a three coarse affair. Probably why I come back 3kg heavier after a week of skiing.

Much prefer having my fried breakfasts in the evening these days, if at all.

I don't have a set preference but tend to rotate between having either black pudding or bacon, sausages are a staple. I struggle to justify too much meat on my plate though am trying to make the most of it before I go back to being vegetarian in July.

Master
    Without fried Potato bread and Soda bread this thread is useless. Pure savagery any other way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zgk7mp3

Simply...

Sausages x2, Bacon x2, Fried egg (sunny side up), Beans, Grilled tomatoes, Fried mushrooms.... toast if hungry but definitely lots of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    There seems to be a lot of trivial posts on the forum right now about missing post, 26 million dollars etc so let's ramp it up with a serious and controversial subject - the fried breakfast. This article on the BBC website got me thinking - what is the perfect fried breakfast? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43372765

THE most important thing is sausages. If you eat value Asda sausages for breakfast then stay the hell off my thread - your opinion isn't wanted here. Newmarket sausages are by far and away the best. I prefer them cooked in the oven but fried is acceptable too. Proper Lincolnshire sausages from a butcher are also good.

Bacon. Smoked back from a butchers that hasn't been injected with half a pint of water per pack like the crap that Tesco sell which oozes a weird jism like substance during frying.

Some people say baked beans should never be part of a fry-up. Those people are deluded. Heinz only.

Mushrooms. Fresh and fried - none of that tinned junk.

Tomatoes. Fresh and fried - none of that tinned junk (again).

Eggs. I prefer scrambled, cooked in a pan with butter and pepper. NOT microwaved - this isn't a Little Chef.

Black pudding. Fried. It's all pigs blood and oatmeal - who cares where you buy it from.

Bread and butter, not toast. You can't mop up properly with toast. A freshly sliced sandwich loaf is best but I also quite like Warburtons - it seems to stay fresher for much longer. Good job Warburtons chemical additive division!

Finally, a mug of tea made with a decent tea-bag. None of this pretentious leaf in a teapot sh*t - it's not 1950. Milk, 1 sugar.

I look forward to everyone agreeing with my choice, otherwise you're wrong.
    IMO:

Decent sausages, my favourite are Lincolnshire from the local butchers
    Decent Bacon, Dry Cured and ideally the Middle with the best of back and streaky, thick cut and slow cooked so its firm but not crunchy
    Black pudding, I like a nice spicy one, small diameter and fried.
    Musrooms, cooked in butter with pepper and a little oregano and nutmeg
    Hash browns, two of.
    Poached egg (free range of course)
    Slice of toast to sit under the poached egg.
    No Sauce.
    Nice loose leaf pot of Breakfast Tea.
    Done.

Master
    Lets face it... Mums make the best fry up's.

Everything else is trivial.