closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Nice Pair!....vintage Omega content

Grand Master

A Nice Pair!....vintage Omega content

Two of my current favourites:

Bought this one recently after a 3 year hunt, the plan was always to put it on this gold bracelet I`ve owned for years. Not everyones taste but I love it, The watch is running OK, I`ll be servicing it soon but it's not in desperate need of attention.

Here's the 1967 Constellation I finally got around to fixing up in December. The black pie-pan dial's original (99% certain on that point) but the bracelet's a recent genuine Omega replacement. The watch is 35mm with a rather unusual 19mm lug spacing. A cracking watch, and a very good timekeeper despite it's age.

Plenty of work needed to get the caseback looking good again!

Still got a few project watches to complete over the next few months, in and amongst other activities, then it's time to decide what's going and what's staying. These two are definitely staying!

Paul

Nice pair Paul, particularly the gold one.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Very nice pair. I would be very pleased to own either. In fact after my next purchase vintage omegas are on my hit list.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Really nice Paul. For me the Constellation is the star. It’s been interesting following your work on it.

I think many people would assume that a new watch that looked and performed like these would cost £000’s.

Grand Master
    The Constellation's had the case carefully refinished, dial cleaned, hands cleaned and relumed, new glass and crown. I`ve stopped buying genuine Omega glasses because they're getting silly expensive and harder to source, but this is one I`d bought 3 years back for the watch before it all got silly on parts supply etc. I thought the dial may have ben refinished but on close inspection I decided it probably hadn`t.

The movement was a bit odd; there's marking on the rotor where the rotor's made contact with the caseback due to a worn bush, but it had obviously been replaced at some time because the freeplay was fine. The movement had some staining/tarnish, not the prettiest I`ve seen, but it only needed a new mainspring and barrel to get it running really well (amplitude 300°!). Unfortunately the setting lever spring broke whilst testing the quickset date (silly design) but fortunately I had a genuine spare.

This was my Christmas present to myself. Finished it on Christmas eve.....just in time

The Seamaster Deville was a recent ebay find, I`m v. pleased with it. Apart from fitting a new crown I`ve done nothing with it, amplitude's reasonably OK but the rate's around 70 secs/day fast. Regulating it is a pain, glass has to come out to get the movement out from the front so I`m leaving it alone till I service it.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 13th March 2018 at 19:07.

Master
    The constelation is a beauty, love that pie pan dial in black.

Both beautiful watches....

The black one though...thats just fantastic!

Pie-pan envy

Grand Master
    Getting back into watches like these has been a journey for me. I was into old Omegas from around 1998 till mid noughties, then got seduced by more modern stuff. By 2008 the Rolex bug had bitten, I bought a couple, sold one, bought a couple more, and almost decided to get rid of all my old Omegas except one. I started this process and sold a couple I regret parting with. I had a plan to own a few Rolex rather than a larger number if old Omegas, subconciously I guess I felt I’d moved onward and upward.

All this changed in 2010, I’d finished work and become involved with watch repairing. I started to see the appeal if all my older stuff again and gradually got the enthusiasm back for the watches I’d loved in the past. I let my Rolex Sub go in 2014; despite still owning 3 (older Datejusts and an Explorer 1) I don’t have the same enthusiasm for Rolex, I get far more enthusiastic about the stuff I liked years ago.......vintage Omegas! I’ve also realised I’m not a big fan of divers or chronographs, I own a couple of each but my enthusiasms on the wane. I’m far happier with watches like these two, 34-36mm 3 handed watches are my preference and that’s what my collection mostly consists of.

I’ve also rekindled the satisfaction of wearing watches I’ve fixed and sorted out myself. Back in the 80s I rebuilt an MG from the ground up and got the same buzz from driving it....same thing with the watches thesedays!

Seriously considering selling a few modern watches and focussing solely on the old stuff again........not quite there but I’m heading that way!

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice, one day you need to post a group shot of all your Omegas.

I like the Seamaster. My old Omega De Ville, with the push-pull date movement (565?):

This was my first nice watch, bought at auction in the early 90s (a proper auction then of course, none of this online frippery). I wore it all the time. Eventually the second hand fell off. I sent it to Omega Bienne, via the Omega Tokyo boutique, for fixing and a service. It came back with the second hand replaced, a non-correct (but Omega) crown, and a scratched dial. Perhaps not even Omega has a big stock of parts for these old watches.

This "service" cost me about $650. Disappointed, I sold the watch for about half this service cost. The new owner was delighted. Unless you are Paul or have access to another repairer though, I'm not sure that usable ownership today isn't going to get expensive or at least frustrating at some point. Still, very nice looking things!

Beautiful watches Paul and I’m pleased to say you have worked on my 1960 Omega bringing it back to its former glory..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Lovely Watches - especially like the deVille :)
    I’m looking forward to a rather lovely looking vintage Omega tomorrow - will report back
    Keep the photo’s of your Watches coming you are a true enthusiast.

Lovely pair absolutely!!
    I really like the pie pan dial, very classy.