closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: £49.99 to resize a bracelet!

Master

£49.99 to resize a bracelet!

I just called my local branch of The WATCH Lab to enquire about the cost of having a bracelet resized and the chap I spoke told me that the price ranges from £10 up to £50.

He asked me what type of watch it was and I must be clairvoyant because I knew what was coming...as soon as I revealed that it was a SubC he told me that it would be £49.99, but that included the use of "special" Loctite (221 I assume) glue on the link screws that turns to chalk when it dries and an 8 month grace period, during which time I could go back and have it resized again.

Now I'm no cheapskate and had expected to pay £10-15, but I can't help feeling that £50 is extracting the Michael - just me?

Master
    Yep, buy a screwdriver and do it yourself.

From Byfleet, I'd probably just take a trip to Rolex St.James. They'll do it for free. On mine, they noticed slight imperfections in the link screws from a previous resizing, so they replaced them for new ones again free of charge. They also gave me a Rolex service pouch to take the watch home in.

Master
    You will get a nice set of screwdrivers for £50

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    If you do this, make sure you get a screwdriver of correct blade thickness. Normal "precision" screwdrivers of correct width will be too thin and no matter how careful you are with them, they will almost certainly damage the edges of the screws slot.

You couldn't have picked a bigger rip-off chain to approach to do this. They're masters of profiteering.

I don't understand why anyone would pay for this - do it yourself.

Did you manage not to laugh when he told you £50 ?

Craftsman
    No it is not you, they are clearly ripping the piss.

Time to do it yourself.

I'll do it for £25
    But seriously that is ridiculous, Rolex ST James will do it FOC

Master
    Every AD I have ever asked does this for free

Master
    Embarrassing though it is I must admit that I've been trying to avoid doing it myself, I resized a Rolex bracelet myself once before and I was never completely happy with the fit thereafter. I'm just not confident; even after reading numerous guides - most of which seem to contain conflicting information on which side to remove the first link from etc.

What's worse is I've even got the correct Rolex 2100 screwdriver needed to do the job. If anyone can point me in the direction of a decent guide or even post a short set of step-by-step instructions here I'd be more inclined to give it a go.

As soon as the the words "Rolex Submariner" rolled off my tongue it was like I'd just issued the guy with a licence to rip me off. With hindsight I now wish that I had either asked what kind of watch bracelet they would charge £10 to resize or just hung up as soon as he said £49.99.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would expect a Rolex AD to do this for free, as Omega ones haven’t charged me in the past.

Master
    My local AD did my pelagos and aqua terra free of charge. 50 is just crazy.

Master
    I would have payed £50 for him to take the bracelet off my skx009 yesterday, my fingers are still sore.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I paid ten quid the other day and felt that was quite enough.

Grand Master
    Pop and see me in Mayfair Ill sort for nothing anytime
    RIAC

Master
    1n 2016 the Watch Lab was bought by Aurum......yes, as in Goldsmiths.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Pop and see me in Mayfair Ill sort for nothing anytime
    That's a very kind offer, thank you!

Although I think the general consensus here seems to be that I should probably learn to do it for myself, and whilst I'm loathed to admit it I tend to agree!

Now I just need to find my screwdriver...

Banned
    I went to them to ask about a Halios I had that was magnetised. While waiting in the queue I heard them quote someone £35 for a battery change so that backed up my feeling that they would try and make the most out my Halios.

I knew allI needed was a cheap demag tool. They wanted to take the watch off me and take it apart. Didn't get a price, just said geez ma watch back and walked away smirking.

Master
    My local AD hates "amatuers" bodging up Rolex which should only be touched by the hand of a Rolex trained technician.

To his credit, he will size a Rolex watch, even if was not bought from him, free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Although I think the general consensus here seems to be that I should probably learn to do it for myself, and whilst I'm loathed to admit it I tend to agree!

Now I just need to find my screwdriver...
    If you plan to do it yourself then already possessing the Rolex-branded hollow-ground screwdriver is half the battle. It'll neatly fill the screw-head slot and makes it less likely you'll slip.

The glidelock adjustability will help tremendously in fine-tuning the fit once you get the links removed to get you in the right general area, but by that same token it's a lengthy old clasp, so you'll want to try and get it as centrally-located on the underside of your wrist as possible (or to whatever position you like, so that the watch head doesn't rotate away from you). I recommend setting the glidelock to the mid-point setting beforehand - that way you are free to adjust it both longer or shorter when the links are later removed.

If you can get the bracelet off the watch head it's easier, but the Rolex end-links are so precisely/tightly fitted between the lugs that can be tricky in itself, unless you have the bergeon two-pronged pliers (or similar).

Blast the bracelet with a hot hair drier, or dunk in some hot water for 30 seconds, to soften the existing loctite first. You may feel a slight break-point when starting to turn the screw, but it shouldn't take too much force to get them moving - if it does, you need to heat them more.

If you want to be extra careful, use masking tape around the link(s) to be removed so that scratches are less likely, or even a thin, clear polythene sheet between the screwdriver & screw can work too.

If you have one of those little plastic gadgets (the sort that looks like a little vice, with a screwing handle and thin pin on the end) for removing push-pins on other bracelet types, they have a little vertical trough on the end which is a handy place to hold the bracelet vertical whilst you work (just tape the bracelet before doing so).

Normally, it's the case that more links should be removed from the 6 o'clock side than the 12 o'clock side - that's the case because of the glidelock clasp's length. Try 2 off 6 o'clock side and one off the 12 o'clock (depends upon your wrist size, of course). Lightly refitting the screws, or using tape to hold the links, will allow you to try the watch on your wrist for fit before final tightening.

If you have the correct loctite, then apply a very, very thin, really tiny smear to the female screw threads, with a toothpick tip or something, before re-tightening. If not, it's fine - just periodically check the screws haven't rotated themselves proud of their holes over time.

Best done when you have plenty of light, plenty of undisturbed time, on a table with a towel or similar to protect the watch head from scratching (and parts rolling away - a bit of upturned sticky tape makes a handy anchoring spot for small screws).

Or, take up one of these kind offers to do it for free, and avoid all the hassle!

A friend on Hatton Garden popped out his shop for a while. Whilst away, one of his employees charged a woman £100 to change the battery on her michael kors watch. She paid.

True story

Craftsman
    It's hatton garden.. I'm not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Every AD I have ever asked does this for free
    Yep, they will certainly do it

Craftsman
    I was charged £15 by an AD, which I thought was a joke.

Master
    Absolutely agree. It's really not that difficult.

EDIT: If you did it really slowly, you could probably get 15 moutes out of it, so the rate is at least £200 an hour!!
    Last edited by David_D; 10th March 2018 at 20:39. Reason: Added

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Absolutely agree. It's really not that difficult.
    I'm also in favour of this, I bought the tools from cousins and now do all bracelet resizing myself at home.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    If you plan to do it yourself then already possessing the Rolex-branded hollow-ground screwdriver is half the battle. It'll neatly fill the screw-head slot and makes it less likely you'll slip.

The glidelock adjustability will help tremendously in fine-tuning the fit once you get the links removed to get you in the right general area, but by that same token it's a lengthy old clasp, so you'll want to try and get it as centrally-located on the underside of your wrist as possible (or to whatever position you like, so that the watch head doesn't rotate away from you). I recommend setting the glidelock to the mid-point setting beforehand - that way you are free to adjust it both longer or shorter when the links are later removed.

If you can get the bracelet off the watch head it's easier, but the Rolex end-links are so precisely/tightly fitted between the lugs that can be tricky in itself, unless you have the bergeon two-pronged pliers (or similar).

Blast the bracelet with a hot hair drier, or dunk in some hot water for 30 seconds, to soften the existing loctite first. You may feel a slight break-point when starting to turn the screw, but it shouldn't take too much force to get them moving - if it does, you need to heat them more.

If you want to be extra careful, use masking tape around the link(s) to be removed so that scratches are less likely, or even a thin, clear polythene sheet between the screwdriver & screw can work too.

If you have one of those little plastic gadgets (the sort that looks like a little vice, with a screwing handle and thin pin on the end) for removing push-pins on other bracelet types, they have a little vertical trough on the end which is a handy place to hold the bracelet vertical whilst you work (just tape the bracelet before doing so).

Normally, it's the case that more links should be removed from the 6 o'clock side than the 12 o'clock side - that's the case because of the glidelock clasp's length. Try 2 off 6 o'clock side and one off the 12 o'clock (depends upon your wrist size, of course). Lightly refitting the screws, or using tape to hold the links, will allow you to try the watch on your wrist for fit before final tightening.

If you have the correct loctite, then apply a very, very thin, really tiny smear to the female screw threads, with a toothpick tip or something, before re-tightening. If not, it's fine - just periodically check the screws haven't rotated themselves proud of their holes over time.

Best done when you have plenty of light, plenty of undisturbed time, on a table with a towel or similar to protect the watch head from scratching (and parts rolling away - a bit of upturned sticky tape makes a handy anchoring spot for small screws).

Or, take up one of these kind offers to do it for free, and avoid all the hassle!
    Thank you for taking the time to do this; it must've taken some time and so I am grateful, once I've located my screwdriver I'm going to give it a go!

And thank you to everyone else who has replied to this thread, it's funny because if you apply the notional cost of £10-15 for bracelet resizing to the number of watches I've purchased from ADs over the years who havent charged me for the pleasure I must be quids in

Embarrassing though it is I must admit that I've been trying to avoid doing it myself, I resized a Rolex bracelet myself once before and I was never completely happy with the fit thereafter. I'm just not confident; even after reading numerous guides - most of which seem to contain conflicting information on which side to remove the first link from etc.

What's worse is I've even got the correct Rolex 2100 screwdriver needed to do the job. If anyone can point me in the direction of a decent guide or even post a short set of step-by-step instructions here I'd be more inclined to give it a go.

As soon as the the words "Rolex Submariner" rolled off my tongue it was like I'd just issued the guy with a licence to rip me off. With hindsight I now wish that I had either asked what kind of watch bracelet they would charge £10 to resize or just hung up as soon as he said £49.99.
    If you are worried about doing it yourself regarding link placement then the last place I would take it is somewhere like Watch lab - must be a fair few experienced ADs near you in Surrey who are more used to this work ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    A friend on Hatton Garden popped out his shop for a while. Whilst away, one of his employees charged a woman £100 to change the battery on her michael kors watch. She paid.

True story
    How much did her Michael Kors watch cost i wonder?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    If you are worried about doing it yourself regarding link placement then the last place I would take it is somewhere like Watch lab - must be a fair few experienced ADs near you in Surrey who are more used to this work ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I saw the Aurum Holdings (Goldsmiths, M&W, WoS etc.) and made the assumption that they would be a reasonably safe bet, my local branch is also quite convenient.

However, given the comments made about them it appears I've dodged a bullet.

Craftsman
    I will resize the SubC bracelet for £20. I even have an original Rolex screwdriver that came with the 16600. So it is a bargain ;-)

More seriously anybody can do it but you need a proper screwdriver in order to avoid damaging the screw heads.

Craftsman
    £50 !!! I have swap links in my SD several times, nice good fit screwdriver and away you go.
    Actually enjoy doing it.

Master
    Well I seem to have misplaced my 2100 screwdriver; probably during our most recent house move.

I did consider asking if anyone's got or could get me a replacement but knowing how tight Rolex are with them and after the controversy surrounding threads discussing ADs withholding warranty cards and import fees I thought better of it! I've just ordered a Horotec 1.6mm screwdriver that I found recommended in an online article on this very subject.

Master

It's a ceramic Sub? Just screw out the links that you don't need. If the screws are in tight, apply pressure first for two seconds and then start turning. The rest you can adjust using the glidelock. It's not exactly rocket science ;). You can try different configurations. I like to have four links on the 6 o'clock side.

Craftsman
    I recently bought a decent set of Starret screwdrivers and resized the bracelet on my Omega. Tiny bloody screws though - the size of a quarter of a grain of rice!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ping me your email address and I will send you the proper Rolex guide.

£49.99 to resize a bracelet!

This.

Learn to size your own bracelets. It’s very easy and satisfying. Only you can do it carefully because it is your watch.

Invest on a set of German Wiha screwdrivers made with high quality submarine grade steel and precision tips. Rolex screws take a 1.6mm flat head driver.

The tools will pay themselves time and time again. It is also fun to size the bracelets of family, friends and colleagues watches. Believe it or not people really admire and appreciate the skill.
    Last edited by Lostintime; 11th March 2018 at 22:17.

Grand Master
    It does amaze me when I read things like this ie asking how to do a simple task!.Surely it's easy enough to do without having to ask someone else,we're not talking about rebuilding your car engine here.
    If it seems that daunting a task then google how to do it.
    But really come on surely it ain't that hard.........is it?.

Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    I will resize the SubC bracelet for £20. I even have an original Rolex screwdriver that came with the 16600. So it is a bargain ;-)

More seriously anybody can do it but you need a proper screwdriver in order to avoid damaging the screw heads.
    Yes avoid cheap Chinese micro screwdriver sets like the plague. These are made of the cheapest metals and imprecise cut tips. Sure way to damage and chew up the heads of your Rolex bracelet screws.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    It's a ceramic Sub? Just screw out the links that you don't need. If the screws are in tight, apply pressure first for two seconds and then start turning. The rest you can adjust using the glidelock. It's not exactly rocket science ;). You can try different configurations. I like to have four links on the 6 o'clock side.
    It's not so much the act of doing it that fills me with dread; well maybe a little, I just want to make sure it's a centred as it can be. The rule of thumb seems to be that you remove the first link from the 6 o'clock side of the watch, as others have already mentioned, but then I read an article which stated Submariner and Seadweller bracelets were the exception to this rule. However, I now suspect that these instructions may have been pre-Glidelock, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Ping me your email address and I will send you the proper Rolex guide.
    PM sent, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    It does amaze me when I read things like this ie asking how to do a simple task!.Surely it's easy enough to do without having to ask someone else,we're not talking about rebuilding your car engine here.
    If it seems that daunting a task then google how to do it.
    But really come on surely it ain't that hard.........is it?.
    Not sure that I totally agree. I am fairly practical and very careful but I’ve managed to chew heads on the screw by using cheap “precision” screwdrivers. I’d bet quite a few of the DIY jobs out there have small scratches to the head and possibly side of link. I guess most can live with this and wouldn’t notice though. Also, I did have to ask what Loctite was used.

I charged a customer two pounds yesterday to resize her Cartier watch bracelet. Might have to up my prices!! ;-)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Not sure that I totally agree. I am fairly practical and very careful but I’ve managed to chew heads on the screw by using cheap “precision” screwdrivers. I’d bet quite a few of the DIY jobs out there have small scratches to the head and possibly side of link. I guess most can live with this and wouldn’t notice though. Also, I did have to ask what Loctite was used.
    And Im not quite so sure I agree with you.

You did say "cheap precision screwdrivers",why would you use "cheap" screwdrivers on your own watch!?.

MY DIY jobs are carried out with precision,why would I want to sustain any damage to MY cherished watch.Unless your over the shoulder of the guy working on your watch and having informed him it must be treated with utmost care prior to him using his,as if you'd know anyway! "expensive" screwdrivers.I had a local watch guy fit a new battery in my 7548,it was still ticking and I showed him it was,he fitted the battery,NOTHING!,I must have touched the coil he said....oops,I said you did see it working prior to popping a new battery in,he repaired it,took him a few weeks to source the part.Yes he took great care of my watch didn't he!,I'd have taken more care,hence I rarely go back to him now.

I agree somethings may be beyond the diy approach,but basic stuff really is not,and if you can't trust yourself to be super careful with your own property,can you really expect a 3rd party to be as careful.......most will be,but we have all heard of disasters on here.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 12th March 2018 at 11:13.

Master
    The local pawnbroker does it for 3 quid. His wife works in the background and she can do it in less than a minute not exaggerating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was quoted £35 by Michael Spiers in Truro, Cornwall to size the bracelet on my Tudor Black Bay.. and they’re a Rolex and Tudor AD! Safe to say I bought a screwdriver set and did it myself

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    1n 2016 the Watch Lab was bought by Aurum......yes, as in Goldsmiths.
    Interesting bit of info thank you

Unless it was a vintage or really fragile bracelet I would do it myself. Even when I have had to send something away I have never been charged £50. Complete rip off!

Journeyman
    I had my SubC bracelet adjusted today at the local AD - no charge, but i did buy it from them a few months ago. They had adjusted it initially but i didn't think the initial sizing was very balanced so asked for it to be changed.

Did think about adjusting it myself last weekend but as soon as the screwdriver slipped on my first attempt at unscrewing one of the links i thought i better it leave it to someone with better tools and skill than me.