closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Starting a new job. Yays and nays.

Master

Starting a new job. Yays and nays.

So in April I will be starting a new job, im an engineer and have been in my current role for nearly 7 years.

I've got to that point where I can start afresh and essentially reinvent myself. I know there's a few knowledgeable folk on here who offer some sound advice.

Recently one colleague baulked at the fact that I wore shoes without laces as he put it. They were infact smart loafer types but he said it's a definite no no in a professional office environment. I've never heard of such thing but he is old school.

We also have a no tie necessary policy, so trousers and shirt is fine. He insists on wearing one and says it's gentlemanly to do so.

I don't take notice of all his comments bit do these things make a difference in how you are perceived in the workplace?

So what are the should do's and definitely shouldn't do's in the workplace?

I'm definitely going to shave more often, maybe every other day rather than every third day.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Can't offer any practical dress advice for such an environment save that first impressions will tend to stick, so think carefully about the image you wish to convey.

1) Your colleague sounds like an arse.

2) Turn up on the smart side on day one and take a judgement from there.

If everyone wears suits, do you really want to be the one in jeans and hoody?

I always go to clients in a suit - When I get there, 8 times out of 10, they're wearing jeans and t-shirts, but that's not the point.

I was once told I HAD to wear a tie to a meeting with a client because they were a very formal company (this was just after I joined a new company) - Turned out they weren't and I never wore a tie to any other meetings after that, with anyone.

Just suss things out, they'll be a bit of a mix, just don't be an outlier, either way, unless you want to be seen as the company Jacob Rees-Mogg.

M

Master
    Smart but casual for work - shirt. trousers, maybe a thin jumper if needed and a blazer if needed. Shoes - whatever you want as long as they aren't sandals or flip-flops. Comments like wearing ties is gentlemanly really wind me up!

I've worked in places where the majority of people wore suits with ties, but I didn't and it didn't do me any harm. The quality of your work and thinking is more important than the shoes that you wear and whether you have a tie on. Over time, that is what people will judge you on.

I've also worked in places where dress was very casual - these were some of the smartest and brightest I've ever worked with.

Overall, whatever you wear, you have to be comfortable in it.

Good luck in your new job.

Is your new job at Coutts? You might need to buy a top hat.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Think better safe than sorry initially. Assume you had interviews in the office you'll be working from? What did they wear to those?

After a few days you'll see what's needed but you don't want to rock up with loafers and no tie, only for everyone to be formal and you stand out. As others have said first impressions count.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    Think better safe than sorry initially. Assume you had interviews in the office you'll be working from? What did they wear to those?
    Exactly! There is no generally applicable right or wrong, it's whatever the organisation has as its dress code. Maybe see what your new boss wears (unless they are the other gender).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Recently one colleague baulked at the fact that I wore shoes without laces as he put it. They were infact smart loafer types but he said it's a definite no no in a professional office environment. I've never heard of such thing but he is old school.

We also have a no tie necessary policy, so trousers and shirt is fine. He insists on wearing one and says it's gentlemanly to do so.
    Your colleague's comments are a load of rubbish - is he JRM wannabe or clone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    ...so think carefully about the image you wish to convey.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    ... Turn up on the smart side on day one and take a judgement from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Smart but casual for work...
    .. The quality of your work and thinking is more important than the shoes that you wear and whether you have a tie on. Over time, that is what people will judge you on.

Overall, whatever you wear, you have to be comfortable in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post

After a few days you'll see what's needed but you don't want to rock up with loafers and no tie, only for everyone to be formal and you stand out. As others have said first impressions count.
    Good luck in your new job.

Some good advice above and not a lot more I can add.....as been said, I would err on the side of caution and wear a suit (no tie) or similar on the first few days and take it from there - you can always dress down if necessary , much harder to dress up, without feeling like you've been caught out. Try to wear something that you feel comfortable and confident in - so if that is a suit, then fine.

I used to work in a very formal environment where we were all in suits, ties and polished black shoes (even brown/tan shoes were frowned upon), 25 years on and I now work in an environment where jeans and t-shirt is commonplace. I just have a set of jeans and shirts that are my solely for this purpose and I wear them in rotation - they are my "work" clothes. My one exception is when I visit clients or 3rd parties, then I am always suited and booted regardless - as I'm representing my company.

Don't fart, pick your nose or burp loudly...have a regular wash but don't perfume like Danny La Rue other than that just look relaxed

The young bloke (24) in my office often wears no socks, his shirt out and trousers so tight there transparent! Times have changed the kipper ties have gone, I wear one once a month for a meeting I chair with a sports jacket or suit. My CEO wears a suit but none of his directors!

Grand Master
    There's a concept you need to grasp when you join a new organisation, it's called 'the way we do things around here'.

There will be a dress code, there will be all sorts of seemingly minor points that are all part of the culture and it's down to you to pick up on these things. Do NOT try to swim against the tide, just go along with it all.

I worked on a large industrial site in a technical/professional capacity and there was definitely a correct way to present yourself. Over the years most (but not all) stopped wearing ties, but smart shirts and trousers (not jeans and T shirts) were always expected. I don`t care how bright or otherwise people may be, if they look 'wrong' and don`t fit in they won`t be taken seriously.

Personally I`d dress smart and wear a tie, if it becomes obvious that you're the odd man out you can always dispense with it.

I guess I`m a bit old school, if I have an appointment at the bank, hospital, or even looking to buy furniture or a car I always dress fairly smart and NEVER turn up in trainers. The rest of the time I definitely dress down because I don`t work anymore. Like it or not, appearances matter and you'll be treated with more credibility if you look credible.

Paul

I am in the same situation, start a new job next week after 18 years at one place which was very relaxed in its dress code . What was your interviewer wearing ? Was it the boss or some HR bod , either way I think you get a feel for the place when you have an interview and a quick tour round . My interview was good as I saw the boss and he was very casual ,open necked shirt and thin polo jumper ,you soon get the impression of the culture and what is ‘de rigeur’.

Have you received a starters pack with an employee handbook? Dress code is normally in there. if not, I would go with what the majority have already said. Turn up in a suit and tie with smart shoes (loafers are fine) and then see what everyone else is wearing and follow suit (no pun intended!). Just make sure your first day is not a "dress down Friday"!

Good luck with the new job.

The no-tie email hasn’t gone outside the m25 yet so ymmv depending on where you will be working.

As a matter of interest, what did you wear to the interview?

If you wore a tie (and didn't notice everyone else was looking casual), then perhaps wear one on day one, but I wouldn't bother myself (although I might have one tucked away somewhere, just in case).

I've worked from home for most of the last 5 years, with only the odd foray to clients, wearing a suit) and to the office, wear I wore jeans and a shirt most times, as do most of the men.

I'm looking for a new job at the moment, not sure what or where I'll end up, but I've been made redundant, so it'll be something at least a little different (ironically the only offer I have yet is to do the same job as a contractor!).

M

Craftsman
    hardly anyone wears a tie these days in London....maybe a few old skool sales people and a few in the insurance sector..

I was offered a job many years ago working in the basement office of a large B2B print media publisher. There was no client contact, it was a desk job, they had a dress code, I declined the offer.

I could never understand the reasoning behind making everyone wear a 'smart' uniform because most of them could barely dress themselves and looked like slovenly gimps anyway? It was utterly pointless.

As long as you don't dress in rags and smell of wee, just wear what you feel comfortable in (maybe leave the basque at home ). It's 2018, not 1958.

Grand Master
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    As the saying goes... "Dress for the job you want, not the one you have"

No-one ever got fired for being smarter turned out than their colleagues.

Pretty sure I shouldn't have gone dressed in a suit for the interview for that part-time job I didn't get when I was nineteen

Master
    In spite of the responses you've had to your question, I believe it is still true that an undertaker or a chauffeur, just taking those as examples, will have a different dress code from say, a web designer.

One great tip I would offer is not to start your sentences with "So"

Good luck

Day 1: Far better to stand out smart than scruffy.
    Day 2: You now know what to wear.

You’re an engineer, not a banker. Why would you need a tie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others said, wear something sensible for the first day and see how it goes after that

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Bamboozle em.

They wear jeans and a tshirt , you wear full Highland dress.

They go high tech , you go low tech and vice versa.

They pull a knife you pull a gun.

They put one of your’s in the hospital ye pit wan o them in the morrrgue.

Thatsh the shekargo way.

Oh no wait hang on that’s for taking on mobsters.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post

Very true.

Also it’s the product not the packaging that matters

RIAC

Just have a couple of pints before you go in to steady your nerves:)

As others have said, better to be too smart than scruffy, I’m a contractor so frequently start on new client sites. Always wear a tie on day one and it normally ends up in the bag before the end of the day. You can take it off, but if you can’t put it on if it’s at home.

As for the “gentlemen wear ties” nonsense, hitter wore a tie and the nazis Hugo boss uniforms, gentlemen they were not.

Congratulations on the new job!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations

Just phone them;… 5 years ago I called my new boss just to cover a couple of bits off and asked “what’s the dress code?”…. And was told ‘whatever you like, but, not jeans…

I wear what I want to wear…and stay a bit smarter if I’m meeting punters

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post

Pardon?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Pardon?
    Sorry?

One thing I learned in my first job (long ago): shave every day. Or have a well groomed beard. A 5 o'clock shadow does not look professional.

Master
    We have a pretty relaxed what to wear policy now after many years of being a fully suited and booted organisation.

Anything goes but not football shits and t-shirts will profanity on them.

I would rather turn up on my first dressed over smart than overly casual.

Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    ...not football sh*ts...
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Congratulations

Just phone them;… 5 years ago I called my new boss just to cover a couple of bits off and asked “what’s the dress code?”…. And was told ‘whatever you like, but, not jeans…

I wear what I want to wear…and stay a bit smarter if I’m meeting punters
    Last year I was asked to work for a company on an interim basis. The owner always dresses in a very formal suit, breast pocket handkerchief etc. Too. We spent some time discussing the fee, and after that was concluded I had one more final condition - I wear jeans to work. I'm not sure whether he really didn't like it or not, but he replied "wear what you like"

I would wear a tie to a wedding or funeral - but day to day work?? The salary would have to be something serious, as I can't stand wearing a suit and a tie. 90% of my clients just dress smartly and very few wear suits these days.

you have a chance to re-invent yourself, as you said - don't re-invent yourself as a clone
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 15th March 2018 at 15:36.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Last year I was asked to work for a company on an interim basis. The owner always dresses in a very formal suit, breast pocket handkerchief etc. Too. We spent some time discussing the fee, and after that was concluded I had one more final condition - I wear jeans to work. I'm not sure whether he really didn't like it or not, but he replied "wear what you like"

I would wear a tie to a wedding or funeral - but day to day work?? The salary would have to be something serious, as I can't stand wearing a suit and a tie. 90% of my clients just dress smartly and very few wear suits these days.
    You maverick! If the fee was good, I’d turn up in my birthday suit!

I don”t do suits other than for two exceptions you suggested...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    You maverick! If the fee was good, I’d turn up in my birthday suit!

I don”t do suits other than for two exceptions you suggested...
    My boss chucked a free tshirt at me one day. Two days later an email from senior management came through telling everyone to wear their free t-shirt on Friday.

Friday comes along , I wear a casual short and jeans (usual clothes).

Boss asks me why I’m not wearing the company T-shirt.

My response

“C’mon dude I’m a grown man, No one tells me what to wear. Its not my thing.”

He just nodded and let me off. I’m not paid to be a clothes horse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    My boss chucked a free tshirt at me one day. Two days later an email from senior management came through telling everyone to wear their free t-shirt on Friday.

Friday comes along , I wear a casual short and jeans (usual clothes).

Boss asks me why I’m not wearing the company T-shirt.

My response

“C’mon dude I’m a grown man, No one tells me what to wear. Its not my thing.”

He just nodded and let me off. I’m not paid to be a clothes horse.
    At a company conference in the States, we were given corporate t shirt with “Own it” written on it... my boss was a Frenchman... you should’ve seen his face on the day when everyone had to wear their t shirts... it was like someone had asked him to take a public dump...

I hated every second of it... there’s only one thing I would hate more than wearing that t shirt, is being the on person in the room who hadn’t..

I still feel great shame!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    As others said, wear something sensible for the first day and see how it goes after that

I actually do wear Crocs at work. White ones.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I actually do wear Crocs at work. White ones.
    Chef or butcher?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Chef or butcher?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Dentist so not far off.

Dress codes are funny things. At my current place, there isn't one, so you get everything from jeans and a T shirt to 3 piece suits with ties. Some that think of themselves as 'mangers' tend to be the suit and tie wearers, but they are not fooling anyone! There are even some pricks that continue to wear their suits on dress down Friday. Thankfully, ties are dying out, as befitting the most ridiculous and utterly useless piece of clothing ever invented. Even when visitors from other companies turn up (Microsoft, Cisco etc) they are all in business casual; which is smart chinos and a business shirt, but no ties. If there is a dress code at your new place i would have expected you would have been told at interview. Start smart on day one and you will be fine. Good luck.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Dentist so not far off.
    Haha genuinely laughing at that reply!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Its interesting how flexible dress codes are when they realise your scruffy companion in the hoody and tracksuit bottoms is an A list film star.

As an academic - I used to go to meetings where some people are wearing three piece suits, some are in labcoats and some might be dressed as a bear or a sea otter for reasons that you never ask about or comment on.

If I worked in a sociology department nobody would take me seriously unless I looked like I was sleeping rough.