closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Holiday Recommendations

Craftsman

Holiday Recommendations

The wife and I have always travelled Middle East, Far East but are looking to stay a little closer to home this year and don't know where to start. Apart from the odd business trip and stag do I have seen very little of Europe at all.

We don't want to be stuck on a resort the whole time but good weather and some warmth is a must. Open to any ideas, multi-centre, cities, beach, countryside or whatever.

The only no no's are a cruise (the wife is terrified of boats) and must not be overrun with kids.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Sorrento?
    Good food, walks, beaches (if you like stairs). Can visit Pompei, Naples, Capri (involves a boat), Amalfi Coast.

Blog Entries
    Some great locations here: https://www.belvilla.com

France is nice - all areas. Try to get a glimps of the Tour de France
    Italy: Tuscany - but also the area around Venice (Jesolo)
    Austria in the summer; mountain hiking
    Switzerland: wonderful, wonderful, but bl**dy expensive.
    Czech Republic: especially the Czech side under Jelenia Gora (Poland). And cheap!

M

Master
    My favourite country in Europe is Italy. So many wonderful places. Somewhere like Lake Garda - some beautiful towns all over the lake, loads to see and do. Plus you could have a day or two in Verona and it's not that far from Venice, where again you could enjoy a couple of days. There's also Lake Como (which I've not been to but would like to go) and you could even spend some time in Milan. Flights to Verona, Milan and Venice all fairly easy and relatively cheap. I went to Garda early September and the weather was lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    My favourite country in Europe is Italy. So many wonderful places. Somewhere like Lake Garda - some beautiful towns all over the lake, loads to see and do. Plus you could have a day or two in Verona and it's not that far from Venice, where again you could enjoy a couple of days. There's also Lake Como (which I've not been to but would like to go) and you could even spend some time in Milan. Flights to Verona, Milan and Venice all fairly easy and relatively cheap. I went to Garda early September and the weather was lovely.
    I second that, Lake Garda is a nice place.

Master
    I know it's still almost Middle East and a couple of hours further than Turkey but I would thoroughly recommend Azerbaijan where I live.

Slovenia is beautiful and laid back; Triglav National Park, Lakes Bled and Bohinj and the lovey compact capital.

Can be combined nicely with a Croatia tour through Istria and Dalmatia, with a possible side trip to Mostar in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Craftsman
    My wife and I stayed here last summer:
    http://www.altaroccawineresort.com/en/

It's in Umbria so just south of Tuscany and was truly excellent, lovely hotel which has hotel rooms or a couple of apartments with cooking facilities, a fantastic restaurant (and wine!) and great swimming pools. It close to Orvieto which is spectacular (photo below) and only 90mins from Rome's Fiumicino airport.

In addition to Orvieto, there are a number of other towns / cities nearby that are also worth a day trip.

Kefalonia, in particular Assos. Not far from some great places like Fiskardo etc too

Master
    My two favourite destinations are Greece and Portugal but as everywhere there are good and bad bits.

I love the Western Algarve but wouldn’t dream of going near places like Albufera, Villamora etc.

Loads of lovely Greek Islands and some nice areas on the mainland.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll check them out with the missus.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I know it's still almost Middle East and a couple of hours further than Turkey but I would thoroughly recommend Azerbaijan where I live.
    I've been to Baku but only ever for work. Is there much worth seeing outside of the city?

Master
    Head to the mountains, Shardag, old city of Sheki or up to near the Russian border at Nabran....

Master
    Baku is on my list of places to return to, I worked out there for a month on the European games in 2015, lovely city and lovely people.

I’m off around Europe by train with my lad at whitsun he wants to go to Berlin and back to Romania as we did Brasov in 2015 this time we are visiting Cluj, not sure where else yet, depends on him.

Master
    Yes I think it is a fabulous place and because of my wife, who I met while working there, very lucky to live there.

One of the safest places I've ever been, very friendly helpful people and long hot summers.

Mykonos is lovely. The hotels are well priced but eating and drinking out is expensive. I stayed at the Mykonos grand hotel and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    A nice Greek island (most are good if you avoid the tourist traps)

Northern Spain? SAN Sebastian is my favourite town in Europe (I’ve been to most of the biggies)

I love Italy, Spain, France and Austria.

I try and get away from the typical tourist areas and quite like doing a bit of internet research then independent travel and booking either a villa, B&B's or even a camp site.

One notable trip was to southern Italy in the Puglia region, we stayed in a lovely B& B mid way between the Coastal resort of Torre Canne and the town of Martina Franca, every morning breakfast was served on the roof top terrace overlooking acre upon acre of olive groves, it was tranquil and beautiful. literally all we had booked was the 1p plus Taxes Ryanair flight and a crappy Nissam Micra hire car, that was it, we flew into Bari and drove south in search of somewhere to stay, that area looked nice, a local bar helped us locate a B&B and the owner drove out in her original Fiat 500 to allow us to follow her back to her traditional farm house. A great area of Italy. The only touristy thing we did was go to Alberobello to walk around the Trulli Town which was an interesting sight, but the area and local towns/area was all very nice.

I like similar holidays around the Costa Blanca in Spain but inland towards Alcoi and have done similar in the South of France near Marseille.

Scandinavia? Quite a different holiday feel to the obvious Southern/Eastern Europe locations but incredible architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Slovenia is beautiful and laid back; Triglav National Park, Lakes Bled and Bohinj and the lovey compact capital.

Can be combined nicely with a Croatia tour through Istria and Dalmatia, with a possible side trip to Mostar in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
    We'll be doing Istria later this year so that gives us something else to natter about. One of the essential criteria was accessibility by sleeper train via Vienna and I believe there's one to Rijeka that fits the bill.

Any tips for Leptis?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Red face

Sicily is lovely - lots to do and see and nice resorts to relax in as well. Great food and friendly people too.

Craftsman
    East Algarve is lovely. try Tavira or Cabanas. The beaches there are lovely.

Craftsman
    San Sebastian is a fabulous city. An amazing beach, great people and some of the best food you’ll ever have.

Master
    Have gone to the southern end of Lake Garda for the last few years, including a bit of sight seeing in towns like Maranello, Bologna, etc. Absolutely love it and highly recommend it. Amazing weather, amazing food, wonderful scenery..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    San Sebastian is a fabulous city. An amazing beach, great people and some of the best food you’ll ever have.
    Had the best meal of my life there

https://www.martinberasategui.com/en/inicio

40th Birthday present from my wife

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottd View Post
    I've been to Baku but only ever for work. Is there much worth seeing outside of the city?

There are a few things, 'volcanic' mud, a hill side on fire where you can have a great cup of tea, zoastrian temple, but not too much to be honest.
    Some absolutely epic flat water kitesurfing if that is your thing though !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

All this great. Did this over a few trips last summer. The Postanja caves are absolutely amazing too. Highly recommended to anyone, any age if you are anywhere near.

https://www.postojnska-jama.eu/en/