closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Battery replacement costs

Battery replacement costs

I have 5 watches that need battery replacement : Omega Seamaster, Tuna 007, G-Shock, Heuer and Ebel.

How much should I expect to pay ?

Is there anywhere that does a 'bulk discount'. Previously used Steve at Ryte Time who was great and very reasonable but I hear he is not working anymore.

cheers

Master
    I’ve just bought a pack of two Renata batteries that fit my wife’s Omega Seamaster for £1.77 from Amazon. Ticking away nicely again after I fitted one. Hope this gives you an idea of pricing.

edit. I think you mean to send them away for fitting, sorry. Why not have a go yourself?

Grand Master
    Not sure where the logic lies with ‘bulk discount’!

Each watch has to be cleaned before opening, to get all the crud off the caseback/seal area, then it has to be opened taking care not to get dirt in the movement. There are so many different battery types it makes no sense to keep a stock unless you’re doing loads, so having identified the battery a replacement has to be bought.

After refitting the back the water resistance has to be checked/ confirmed too.......but whose to say it wasn’t leaking prior to dismantling? Unless you have a dry tester it’s risky to put a watch in a wet tester if it’s got zero WR, the safe way is to take the movement out and test the case with the crown and caseback refitted, this will indicate whether there are problems.

That’s what battery replacement involves, plus repacking the watch and taking it to the post office to post out. I long since decided it wasn’t worth the hassle to make a few ££ profit.

Best advice is to find somewhere local.

Paul

Master
    Duncan @ Genesis watches did one for me a little while ago. Very thorough with a pretty fast turnaround.

He’s a member on here too.

I think the only advantage to getting them all done in one go is that you might save on postage and you’ll get them back in one go too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chime101 View Post
    I have 5 watches that need battery replacement : Omega Seamaster, Tuna 007, G-Shock, Heuer and Ebel.

How much should I expect to pay ?

Is there anywhere that does a 'bulk discount'. Previously used Steve at Ryte Time who was great and very reasonable but I hear he is not working anymore.

cheers
    Local jeweller, between a fiver and a tenner a piece. Try to avoid the places with ratcheted prices depending on the watch... for example timepiece will charge you a tenner on the Seiko and triple on the omega - No difference in battery brands.
    If you have no-one local I'll do them. Mad response regarding "its not worth carrying every battery". Jewellers do, hobbiests and tinkerers don't. Use a jeweller.

Craftsman
    I always replace the batteries myself, order the battery when it arrives, clean watch especially the case, undo case 1 turn and use a blower to blow away loose crud from the threaded area and then remove and replace battery.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I have tried a few local guys and had a huge difference in price. £7 bring the cheapest but as soon as they see Water resistant watch they all turn green and want to send the watch off to respective makers...

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Local jeweller, between a fiver and a tenner a piece. Try to avoid the places with ratcheted prices depending on the watch... for example timepiece will charge you a tenner on the Seiko and triple on the omega - No difference in battery brands.
    If you have no-one local I'll do them. Mad response regarding "its not worth carrying every battery". Jewellers do, hobbiests and tinkerers don't. Use a jeweller.