closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone got an aluminum front door?

Blog Entries

Anyone got an aluminum front door?

I need a new door, and had been set on a composite door (Solidor or Rockdoor) however I've just been reading about aluminium front doors and my interest has peeked. Seems the strength combined with thermal efficiency plus no risk of warping (or should that be less risk?) seems aluminium could be a good option. Only issue looks to be cost, but what's money eh

Has anyone for an aluminium door and if so how are you getting in etc?

I had new aluminium windows fitted recently with two glazed external doors to match. All good so far.

It's been installed over 30 years ago and apart from a broken spring on the inner letterbox flap, still working fine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Has anyone for an aluminium door and if so how are you getting in etc?
    Not sure how everyone else is getting in, but personally I open the door, leaving a large space to walk through.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I had new aluminium windows fitted recently with two glazed external doors to match. All good so far.
    Thanks, which make did you go with?

We have a Solidor composite door with side panel priced up and we were ready to commit at £2250 and now quotes are coming in for the aluminium door, £3250 from Origin windows, still waiting for Dutemann and Spitfire to quote but trying to work out whether I can justify another grand for the aluminium over the composite.

Master
    Parents have had an 'Everest' aluminium front door for over 30 years..... it is honestly like the day it was installed. Brilliant bit of kit and very secure.

Mike
    Last edited by sweetpea; 16th March 2018 at 20:03.

Blog Entries
    Good feedback Mike, thanks!

Dunno who fitted our ali front door but it was there when we moved in twenty one years ago - still working fine.

Not really anything to go wrong is there?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

What's the thermal conductivity of an aluminium door Vs composite alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Parents have had an 'Everest' aluminium front door for over 30 years..... it is honestly like the day it was installed. Brilliant kit of kit and very secure.
    That's what mine is.

Craftsman
    Try Welthaus.

I received a few quotes recently from uk based companies, Spitfire included.
    Welthaus were the most competitive by far. Even once the shipping from Europe, Austria I think, was taken in to account.

Check out Internorm doors - amazing kit with fingerprint recognition etc, and Passivhaus certified options - well happy with ours!

Master
    Many of these aluminium doors are imported and fail to meet UK security standards, so in the event of a break-in you may have problems with your insurance company. Any door which has one locking point, typical of some of the electronic locks, is only marginally secure in the UK environment. I saw one YouTube video where a guy fitted an electronic access control door lock from a major UK manufacturer (which I used to work for) and to be honest it was so weak in construction I wouldn't have put it on my shed.

Solidor and Rockdoor as examples, make composite doors to the highest security standards, fitted with mechanical multipoint locks and importantly with "Secured by Design 3 Star, Diamond standard" lock cylinders. Doors should meet the PAS24 standard for burglar resistance as a minimum. Composite doors with GRP skins are also dimensionally stable. PAS24 is a brutal test where the "burglar" can use a variety of tools and techniques to defeat the locking system, far in excess of what a casual burglar might use.

I had a door which was unglazed, steel, mock-panelled which was fitted to the house when I moved in. The skin got dented and of course it had no woodgrain appearance so never looked right. If you go for a metal door, check the security - some aluminium doors can be cut through using a Stanley knife - other knife brands are available.

My advice would be to get a sturdy composite door from one of the recognised market leaders and double-check the security specification before handing over your money.