closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Catalytic Converter theft & insurance

Catalytic Converter theft & insurance

Think mine has been stolen. Won't be confirmed until Kwik-Fit take a look at.

Anyone claimed on car insurance, what evidence is required? Will they pay for replacement?

Phoned insurer (AA) and pretty useless - had never heard of this and didn't know procedure. Odd as researching on-line seems quite common.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That sounds almost as bizarre as when my boiler was stolen.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's very common. Cats can be worth a few quid. I hate to say it, but be mindful that the theives may return to pinch the new one as they know it's been replaced.

Master
    Our farrier had his pinched off his pickup truck. Insurance paid out. Had to replace the full exhaust system because of where they’d cut it..

Master
    From an insurance point of view I damaged one driving over speed bumps, the car was a Merc SL with 2 cats @ £700 each, luckily only one was damaged and the Insurance paid out no problem.

Master
    Happened to my sister, she parked her Nissan qashqaiin the local Sainsbury's car park, came back after shopping, started it up, though it didn't sound quite right so she drove over to me to have a look at, unfortunately pretty obvious what had happened, the road height of these type of vehicles means the thieves can gain access to the cat without having to jack the vehicle up.

Craftsman
    Comes in peaks and troughs, they don't bother when scrap prices are low. They don't often bother if you have an aftermarket cat fitted as they aren't worth anything scrap due to much less precious metal.

Insurance will pay out.

https://www.catlocks.co.uk

Kwik-fit quoted £996 - thieves cut out past the flanges either side so those sections are also needed.
    Unfortunately insurers take 3+ days to approve (or not) quote so went with their approved repairer.
    Surely will be much more expensive, will take a similar time but I get a hire car. Would have managed w/o for a couple of days and just got it done TBH.

Craftsman
    Probably won't be much more than Kwik-Fit to be fair.

Update - finally got my car back today, getting on for 6 weeks later.

Strangely the exhaust/converter aren't easily available. I thought this was ridiculous (not an obscure car but an elderly CR-V) so asked at the Honda parts desk when visiting their showroom and was told there's one in Belgium on 20 April, after that it would be October. Are other makes as bad as this?

Makes me wonder if it was stolen to order.

This's probably most bizarre thread I ever read on TZ-UK..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Yes, my stepdaughter needed a new cat for her Peugeot 806 people carrier (MOT failure not stolen), it took about 2 months to arrive as apparently they are made to order! Hardly a rare vehicle..

Cheers,

Plug

Craftsman
    Cat theft very common these days and I come across it almost weekly in my role as a security consultant.

Mainly it's large fleets of vans or wagons parked up overnight that are targeted and can net £1000's of pounds in one haul.

A local garage to me had a dodgy mechanic for a while that was taking cats off cars that were in for service, welding in a straight pipe in its place, customer blissfully unaware.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

A local garage to me had a dodgy mechanic for a while that was taking cats off cars that were in for service, welding in a straight pipe in its place, customer blissfully unaware.

Neil
    Until the next MOT.

Master
    Slight aside, but I think I recall reading somewhere that they contain platinum.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Slight aside, but I think I recall reading somewhere that they contain platinum.
    Yes, along with palladium and rhodium, that’s why they’re pinched.

Blog Entries
    This is one of those phenomenons that I've heard is quite common (mainly on internet forums) but never experienced first hand or even know someone that has....bizarre.

Does this impact petrol and diesel cars equally - or is one worse than the other?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    This is one of those phenomenons that I've heard is quite common (mainly on internet forums) but never experienced first hand or even know someone that has....bizarre.

Does this impact petrol and diesel cars equally - or is one worse than the other?
    Seen dozens, but then I'm placed for them, particularly since we custom fabricate them so people come to us when the dealer tells them it'll be weeks/months.

Cats are more common on petrol than diesel which usually have particulate filters instead. However, some of the most common and lucrative cats are fitted to diesel. Certain cars (french diesels) you can take off the o.e. fitted cat, weigh it in and by a new pattern part off the shelf, and still have a profit!

Pattern parts don't contain anywhere near the precious metals of the o.e. unit, which also means they don't get stolen. The crooks know what they are looking for.