closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Z4 2.0i m-sport vs SLK 250d AMG

Journeyman

Z4 2.0i m-sport vs SLK 250d AMG

Hi all,
    Will be losing my company car by end of August. So using this as an excuse, am thinking about getting a Z4 or SLK for some fun driving. The other half tells me it is mid-life crisis! Tend to agree as now 52 years old.

I know there are a few petrolheads here so any real life experiences or advice of both cars will be greatly appreciated. Both would be around 3 years old.

Thanks in advance.
    ObiWan aka Pete

Diesel auto no no no no no.

Try and drive a Z4 23i with the 6 cylinder engine although means looking bit older than 3 years.

Or the most obvious choice 2.0 MX 5.

Of course depends what you’re definition of fun driving is.

My cousin has a diesel auto Merc coupe, and I felt sick sitting in the passenger seat within 10 minutes. He's not the greatest driver, it's true, but I think the box had something to do with it.

MX-5?

I’ve got the older seven speed box in my E250 and you really don’t notice the gear changes (most of the time). The later nine speed box is reportedly even better.

Another diss for the diesel SLK here. I remember reading a review of it in the motoring press a while back and it was described thus:

"Ties with the Audi TT diesel for the title of the world's most joyless sports car"

Of course, I have the V8 version so I'm spoiled :) but if that doesn't put you off nothing will..

Cheers,

Plug

Get a Porsche Boxster instead. Or a petrol Audi TT, either the TSFi or the TTS if you can stretch to it.
    So clever my foot fell off.

For cruising around I have the E350 convertible and a lovely bit of kit is is (with its 7 speed auto).

But if you want something actually sporty then neither of the two you identified tick all the boxes.

Why not a Porsche Boxster or Cayman or a Lotus?

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

Why not a Porsche Boxster or Cayman or a Lotus?
    Different ball game money wise if you want to buy something around 3 years old.

Cannot speak from experience on the Merc, but would write it off immediately as a sports car as the engine/gearbox combo are all wrong.

As you mentioned, a Boxster would be ideal but a few years older, I used to have one and it was great, I replaced it with a Mini Cooper S Work (same engine as Z4 2.0 I believe but a lessor state of tune), I replaced that with a Z4 23iS. So far so good, it’s a very good car, get it off the run flat tyres as the ride is poor in Sport or Sport+, the Z4 also replaced my old MX5 too, the Z4 is very good, for me I prefer the character of the inline six motor and have had it stage one tuned to put out 230bhp. Couldn’t be happier unless I had a Boxster but didn’t have a spare extra £8k. Z4 all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Have owned both the Slk and E class convertibles and enjoyed both however if you cannot stretch to a Boxster then go with what i have a Mini John Cooper Works convertible, mine is a 2006 and stick your arse in the seat plant that right foot go through the six speed box and feel the road. Oh and at a low cost.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the all the advice.

Fun driving for me was open top with powered hard roof and 2 seaters, so Z4 and SLK seemed the obvious choices. MX-5 was also considered but I prefer the cabin of the Z4 and SLK.
    Wasn't sure on the diesel SLK but it doesn't sound like a good idea. I'll focus on the Z4.

Master
    I have had two Z4's and i absolutely love them but for me I would have to get the 3.0 litre engine as that power with that silky smooth 6 pot is hard to beat and they are good value as well.

S2000?

Craftsman
    I have an AMG 250cdi and would recommend it. I don't consider it a sports car more of a GT, keep this in mind and you will love it. This is my 5th slk after a 230, 350, an SLK32 another 230 and now this.

I used to be a fast driver but at approaching 60 I tend to look at the fuel gauge more than the speedo and here it certainly does not disappoint with an easy 55mpg on my four mile commute. The torque wave is tremendous beating a v8 M3 at 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) versus 250cdi at 500 Nm (369 lb-ft) @ 1600 rpm and imho that's what counts in real world driving.

Also lazy one hand one foot cruising through the countryside with the roof down is my idea of a great drive.

I tried a Z4 and found them to be very small inside and really low |(read hard to get out of!) compared to the slk for me.
    And as if that's not enough I have even fitted a IWC clock to bring my two interests together.

Last edited by billymac; 13th June 2018 at 22:14.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I have had two Z4's and i absolutely love them but for me I would have to get the 3.0 litre engine as that power with that silky smooth 6 pot is hard to beat and they are good value as well.
    I had a 30i sdrive. Great engine. 30mpg , 6 cylinder noise, 0-60 in 5.6 and cost me 300 fully comp to insure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk