closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desperate, but unsure...

For what it's worth, l phoned rolex head office a while ago to discuss this. They denied all knowledge of ADs withholding cards and the lady l spoke to agreed it sounded wrong to do so.
    Unless something has changed, this is how things stand.
    I will phone again if anyone's particularly bothered/not sick of this AD bullsh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    You pay the money and its your watch but Rolex are trying to stop the grey dealing as in what your mate is doing - was doing now its bang in the open!

Also OP have you been pulled in the past for selling SC purchases on other forums for profit? Sorry if I'm wrong but the name rings a bell..
    You’re correct!

Craftsman
    Idiot question here but what is a 'SC purchase’?

Master

Desperate, but unsure...Rolex AD policy nonsense

SC = Sales Corner

It’s a part of the forum that is available to members with 50 posts to buy and sell.

Craftsman
    Ah right. Thanks. I'd noticed SC referred to several times in the past.

Master
    Buyer who like to flip for profit denied option and throws toys out of pram. Is that the situation? Shame.

As far as I know, Rolex don’t have a policy that ADs should retain warranty cards or remove stickers.

However, Rolex reportedly do disapprove when they see that their watches are being immediately flipped for profit / resold to dealers.

If an AD puts in place a “reasonable” policy in respect of these few over subscribed watch models to try to prevent those few models being immediately dealt on / passed on to dealers then they are signally to customers and (more importantly) to rolex that they are committed to offering these few models to genuine buyers. It also signals to rolex that they are actively avoiding feeding watches to serial flippers / dealers.

Rolex tacitly approves of these overt anti flipping efforts and rewards that AD with a slightly higher allocation of the few highly desired models. The AD is then able to supply more “genuine” customers with these desired watches.

Some customers might get the hump. But the AD has decided that losing some goodwill from a few potential customers is outweighed by the extra goodwill they have generated with rolex and with the additional customers they have been able to supply Batmans and Hulks and Daytonas to.

Unhappy customers can decide to decline an offer to buy one of these watches. If they decline then the AD offers it to the next genuine customer on their list who will probably accept the watch on the terms offered.

The unhappy non customer can rant on a forum about the affrontery of it all (whilst others will bemoan on the same forum thread the injustice of some customers being sold these watches and flipping them for profit!). The unhappy non customer can put their name down on the lists of other ADs which do not have the warrenty card retention policy. And in due course they will probably be able to buy the same watch served up with it’s warrenty card. This may, however, be more than 12 months later and possibly the rrp of the desired rolex model may have been increased in the interim!

I personally believe that if a genuine buyer had a serious life event that meant that she needed to sell the watch then the AD could be persuaded to release the retained warrenty card early. By that point it is likely that enough time would have passed to demonstrate to the AD (and rolex) that the watch wasn’t not originally bought to flip for profit.

And this policy, where in place, probably applies to only four or five rolex models.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by martyb View Post
    However, Rolex reportedly do disapprove when they see that their watches are being immediately flipped for profit / resold to dealers.
    But why? Rolex have sold the watch at the price they set. It doesn’t take away from their profits. And if they wanted to sell more, they could just...produce more? But than that would take away the air of exclusivity and desirability...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    It seems to me half the pleasure in owning a Rolex is the non stop drama and finding every permutation you can think of to discuss them over and over again.

Don’t shoot the messenger.
    Best comment on this thread!

Otherwise the situation is simple. If you really want the watch, accept the AD conditions. The last time I looked at my warranty card it was more than 6 months ago. And I wear the SubC ND all the time.

No point of coming to the forum and complaining how life is unfair. There wll always be someone with more cash and relations who can buy desirable watches and flip for profit.

Craftsman
    Buy it and if you have to sell put it on SC at list.

I will gladly give you your money back and wait for the warranty card.

I sold mine in 2015 for £5500 and fancy another one but not at 7.5k

As others have said there's plenty of us who will do this.

Master
    Take the watch and issue a complaint via Rolex, ask them politely to forward cards or legal action will be placed, they cannot legally keep your property without you signing away that right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    OPs post about his mates mate is bound to cause a few issues, enough info in that picture to pinpoint exactly who bought it and I don’t think they’ll be getting any more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawbreaker5000 View Post
    Buy it and if you have to sell put it on SC at list.

I will gladly give you your money back and wait for the warranty card.

I sold mine in 2015 for £5500 and fancy another one but not at 7.5k

As others have said there's plenty of us who will do this.
    Yes, but he doesn't want his 'money back' he wants to flip it and make a couple of grand. Like his 'mates' mate' did with the Daytona. Thats the whole point of him moaning about the warranty card thing.

If someone says I bought this to flip it for a profit at least they're being honest about it, people can moan about it or not, take it or leave it. It's all this "had it 2 days and not bonding with it" and "still stickered up and unsized bracelet but can't get to like it" and all the other rubbish excuses that get a bit boring.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 11th March 2018 at 12:09.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You can’t be that desperate if you are procrastinating over the purchase, at the end of the day it’s a watch. If you like it buy it and suck it up for the card. Or hold out for another, with Basel in a few weeks you run the risk of this being removed from the line up, or something newer being added to the range. If the latter happens, you might find BLNR’s easier to get.

Ahh the wonderful world of Rolex......

I wouldn’t be happy if my mate had posted pics of my serial number either, flipped or not.
    Last edited by Middo; 11th March 2018 at 12:10.

Assuming that preferred customers are implicitly on all Rolex lists by default with the respective AD, are we inferring that in this scenario the preferred customer can jump the queue, i.e go from no.20 to top of the list with assistance from Sales Assistants e.g. “Spence” ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    After discussing this with another mate, he told me that his mate had just picked up a white face ceramic daytona from WoS in Brighton - he left the premises with a fully stickered watch and warranty card...he hasn't been on any waiting list, yet buys watches often from there - he says openly he doesn't even like daytonas and low & behold he sold it for £13k within 24 hours...and to rub salt in the wound, he says he is getting a black faced one next week!

Of course he has "spent" dozens of thousands of pounds in store (hence is a preferred customer), but looks like he's made just as much in conning others out of "hard to find" pieces! Oh the injustice!!

I often go into WoS in Royal Exchange, London and have been told repeatedly about their waiting lists and warranty card retention policies! Utter bull-dust...

Yet my dilemma in post #1 continues

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Yes, but he doesn't want his 'money back' he wants to flip it and make a couple of grand. Like his 'mates' mate' did with the Daytona. Thats the whole point of him moaning about the warranty card thing.

If someone says I bought this to flip it for a profit at least they're being honest about it, people can moan about it or not, take it or leave it. It's all this "had it 2 days and not bonding with it" and "still stickered up and unsized bracelet but can't get to like it" and all the other rubbish excuses that get a bit boring.
    It does seem that way doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    But why? Rolex have sold the watch at the price they set. It doesn’t take away from their profits. And if they wanted to sell more, they could just...produce more? But than that would take away the air of exclusivity and desirability...
    Fully agree with you...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Are you for real!!!!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Wake up henk!

Craftsman
    So it seems the OP is upset because he cannot flip for profit to help with his next house purchase.

UNLUCKY !!

Craftsman
    So it seems the OP is upset because he cannot flip for profit to help with his next house purchase.

UNLUCKY !!
    Dude, this random accusation of flipping for profit is totally uncalled for and incorrect...I'm looking forward to picking up the Batman imminently and keeping it on my wrist for a long time! Seems you're the one who's upset by that. Hope you do find some enjoyment on a chilled Sunday evening...
    Last edited by Chris_X; 13th March 2018 at 16:09.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Chris_X;4697992]Dude, you don't know me, so don't speak about me like you do. This random accusation of flipping for profit is rather sad...I'm looking forward to picking up the Batman imminently, seems you're the one who's upset by that. Hope you do find some enjoyment on a chilled Sunday evening...[/QUO

Random ??

You not been reading your own thread ?

I offered to buy it at list without a warranty card but the consensus of opinion was you were upset about the warranty card because you could not flip it for profit.

Surely i do not have to quote everyone else on this thread.

So, I'm super-excited to have gotten "the call" to pick up a BLNR from the AD - I've desperately been after one for well over a year (been on lists for several months) and now finally (with the help of a friend who put in a good word) this is materialising...

However, this stuff about warranty card retention for 12 months has got me confused! I'm definitely not intending to move it along, in fact I'm trying to think of it as a family keeper, but with a massive house move looming this year I don't particularly fancy having £6.5k tied up with a de facto restraint on selling it.

Not really sure what I'm saying/asking here - I'm desperate for a batman, so should I just take the warranty card thing on the chin? Any other thoughts/comments?
    Surely doesn’t seem like a good idea to be purchasing a Rolex watch in the first place with a house move looming in the horizon.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Lawbreaker5000;4698032]
    Dude, you don't know me, so don't speak about me like you do. This random accusation of flipping for profit is rather sad...I'm looking forward to picking up the Batman imminently, seems you're the one who's upset by that. Hope you do find some enjoyment on a chilled Sunday evening...[/QUO

Random ??

You not been reading your own thread ?

I offered to buy it at list without a warranty card but the consensus of opinion was you were upset about the warranty card because you could not flip it for profit.

Surely i do not have to quote everyone else on this thread.
    Yes, l was confused whether to buy or not because I was told the warranty card would be withheld. Sorry that seemed to upset you and oldoaknives...

No, I am not upset because the warranty card is missing and I "cant flip for profit". I'm intending to keep this long term. The "consensus of opinion" came from oldoaknives' message and your reply to it before I've had the chance to respond.

I'm actually surprised/glad to hear someone would buy it easily off me even without warranty card if I had to sell. I don't think I'll need to sell this even if the house move materialises and look forward to picking it up soon and enjoying it.

About your offer to sell to you specifically - that certainly won't ever materialise...I do though still hope you find some enjoyment on a chilled Sunday evening
    Last edited by Chris_X; 13th March 2018 at 16:11.

Craftsman
    I am relaxed and chilled tonight, i merely gave an opinion on what i read.

As for my offer, it was originally meant to help but as we both know now i would not buy and you would not sell.

I hope you enjoy the watch it is a great piece having already owned one and actively searching for another.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Rolex St. James asked for my warranty card when I had mine regulated. That is not to say they wouldn’t have done it if I didn’t have the card. In the OP’s case, I think the AD has already stated they would take care of any warranty issues by sending the watch and card to Rolex.
    Last time I had my Rolex regulated under warranty I hadn’t taken the warranty card. They checked under their system it was under warranty and proceeded with work. And also updated me to be the current owner.

OP: if you are moving house - that would be my priority. My watch fund is separate from any house hold expenses so don’t affect each other. Yours may be different?

Martyn.

Guys, whether the topicstarter wants to sell at a gain or not isn't relevant to me.

One pays a sh*tload of money for a steel watch.
    The guys making it know well they can sell more all the time but they chose and choose to make only a limited number, although some of the watches in their lineup aren't as popular (steel and gold datejusts for example).

Now these guys behave very rude and refuse to deliver in full to a client who paid in full...
    They say they want to avoid gray market sales/people selling at an inflated price.

I truly cannot understand. Market will dictate the price.
    The only real solutions:
    1) raise the price (which is already way too steep in my opinion, looking at it from a VFM perspective);
    2) produce more.

As for the buyers: wake up! I would never ever accept such p1$$ poor service. There actually are people out there who like your business and will treat you accordingly.

Blog Entries

Yes, l was confused whether to buy or not because I was told the warranty card would be withheld. Sorry that seemed to upset you and oldoaknives...

No, I am not upset because the warranty card is missing and I "cant flip for profit". The "consensus of opinion" came from oldoaknives' message and your reply to it before I've had the chance to respond.

I'm actually surprised/glad to hear someone would buy it easily off me even without warranty card if I had to sell. I don't think I'll need to sell and look forward to picking it up soon and enjoying it.

About your offer to sell to you specifically - that certainly won't ever materialise...I do though still hope you find some enjoyment on a chilled Sunday evening
    It didn't upset me that you were 'confused whether to buy or not because I was told the warranty card would be withheld'. I don't even care if you buy it to flip it, like your 'mates mate'.

What I find silly is people contradicting themselves like you did below.

So, I'm super-excited to have gotten "the call" to pick up a BLNR from the AD - I've desperately been after one for well over a year (been on lists for several months) and now finally (with the help of a friend who put in a good word) this is materialising...

However, this stuff about warranty card retention for 12 months has got me confused! I'm definitely not intending to move it along, in fact I'm trying to think of it as a family keeper, but with a massive house move looming this year I don't particularly fancy having £6.5k tied up with a de facto restraint on selling it.

Not really sure what I'm saying/asking here - I'm desperate for a batman, so should I just take the warranty card thing on the chin? Any other thoughts/comments?
    And as you say you've "been on lists for several months" you obviously put your name down at multiple AD's, which is the reason an AD might hold on to the warranty card in the first place. Because of people like you.
    Thats all I have to say on it.

Wasn’t aware that Rolex ADs take deposits on watches that you are on the list for.

What happens if RRP increased in the meantime ?

Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    Next to £8100 is a word ending in 'nce' which is presumably 'balance' after a £1000 deposit was paid.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It didn't upset me that you were 'confused whether to buy or not because I was told the warranty card would be withheld'. I don't even care if you buy it to flip it, like your 'mates mate'.

What I find silly is people contradicting themselves like you did below.

And as you say you've "been on lists for several months" you obviously put your name down at multiple AD's, which is the reason an AD might hold on to the warranty card in the first place. Because of people like you.
    Thats all I have to say on it.
    Yes mate, I put my name on a BLNR list at WoS and Mappin & Webb about 6 months ago? What exactly is the issue? I've been very keen to get one...not sure why that automatically means i should be withheld a warranty card? I don't follow, but then again you're entitled to your opinion, so thanks for your comments
    Last edited by Chris_X; 13th March 2018 at 16:11.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    Wasn’t aware that Rolex ADs take deposits on watches that you are on the list for.

What happens if RRP increased in the meantime ?
    Some ADs do take deposits. In my experience they make it very clear that you will pay whatever the RRP is at the time the watch is sold. So the new price if there is a price increase between ordering and collecting.

After discussing this with another mate, he told me that his mate had just picked up a white face ceramic daytona from WoS in Brighton - he left the premises with a fully stickered watch and warranty card...he hasn't been on any waiting list, yet buys watches often from there - he says openly he doesn't even like daytonas and low & behold he sold it for £13k within 24 hours...and to rub salt in the wound, he says he is getting a black faced one next week!

Of course he has "spent" dozens of thousands of pounds in store (hence is a preferred customer), but looks like he's made just as much in conning others out of "hard to find" pieces! Oh the injustice!!

I often go into WoS in Royal Exchange, London and have been told repeatedly about their waiting lists and warranty card retention policies! Utter bull-dust...

Yet my dilemma in post #1 continues
    I buy from WOS in Brighton and know them very well, I also know they insist on removing all the stickers from all s/s Rolex before they let you have the watch (they don't hold onto the cards though).They are well aware of the desirability of the sports models and are very conscious of flippers using them to make a quick buck.
    If you're mate got out of there with a still 'stickered up' Daytona then I suspect he must be fibbing, or VERY good friends with the management as this is strict policy and one is warned of imminent de-stickering at time of sale.
    You live you learn, I will be interested to see when my Daytona arrives there if I can achieve the same result...
    Joe

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post
    They are well aware of the desirability of the sports models and are very conscious of flippers using them to make a quick buck.
    Could you maybe ask them why this is a concern for them? After all, they sell the watch at the RRP, and there is no loss to them at point of sale or diminished demand in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Could you maybe ask them why this is a concern for them? After all, they sell the watch at the RRP, and there is no loss to them at point of sale or diminished demand in the future.
    Exactly! Also without the strong secondary market they wouldn’t sell as many watches as they do. It really is a win win for the AD’s.

Master
    ^ +1

I've resisted commenting on this thread up to now but I can hold it no longer...

The whole subject of de-stickering, warranty card retention etc. REALLY cheeses me off. The pervading notion that these ADs are doing you a favour by allowing you to part with your hard-earned cash is what really gets my goat!

It's a matter of principle.

P.S. I can't believe the OP was so careless as to post the pic of that receipt without taking the necessary precautions, quite unbelievable.

Grand Master
    As a matter of principle I think it’s wrong for ADs to keep warranty cards, but does it really matter? If the OP wants the watch for the right reasons it shouldn’t put him off, but clearly he has a problem with it. He’s then posted details of the Daytona transaction for reasons that don’t cast him in a good light; it’s either sour grapes or plain mischief- making, he’s referred to a sales guy as a turd, he’s spitting his dummy out over it all. Possibly his intention is to buy the watch and make a quick buck, possibly not, but he hasn’t covered himself in glory.

Paul

I don't think any ADs have any rights to hold on to the warranty card. I'll walk away if this happens to me.

This ongoing discussion about dealers keeping papers is tiresome. We all know papers add a certain percentage of value to a watch. When the new owner goes in to collect, just deduct a percentage from the price and say you'll pay the rest when you have the papers as the package is incomplete. Or, if it's business hours call Rolex on your mobile, relay the situation and hand the phone over to the sales person.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    ^ +1

I've resisted commenting on this thread up to now but I can hold it no longer...

The whole subject of de-stickering, warranty card retention etc. REALLY cheeses me off. The pervading notion that these ADs are doing you a favour by allowing you to part with your hard-earned cash is what really gets my goat!

It's a matter of principle.

P.S. I can't believe the OP was so careless as to post the pic of that receipt without taking the necessary precautions, quite unbelievable.
    Exactly so and this arrogant self-indulgent attitude will come back to bite them one day when they look around and wonder where their customer base has gone!

Master
    Let’s be honest, it’s pretty much all Rolex’s fault. They could kill the profiteering market by increasing supply and/or price, but they like the exclusivity/desirability that is only enhanced by the grey market. I think part of the attraction from Rolex’s point of view is it gives them the opportunity to cull ADs every now and again and further expand their boutique network. I’m a total fanboy for their product but honestly they can just f**k off as far as I’m concerned right now.

Got a call to say my deepsea blue is in and ready for
    Collection last week with a note saying they will retain the warranty card
    For a year. Remove all stickers and size the bracelet
    They said a colour photo copy of the card will be given
    He said they do this with about 12 models

Master
    Good or bad press, were here again talking Rolex, warranty cards, removal of case back stickers etc etc, I think it’s pretty genius of Rolex the way they do things! In all seriousness let’s face it we will mostly all buy these hard to find ss models, warranty cards, stickers or not! (Real watch enthusiasts will) I have had first hand experience regarding a particular Bullshit AD and was really considering moving away from the brand, 3 more Rolexes later, back on a waiting list for a hulk sub! Buy it don’t buy it, someone else will!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Curious ... which 12 models?

Daytona
    Skydweller
    BLNR
    Hulk
    Deepsea D-Blue
    SD43

What else would qualify for this special treatment? Even if different colours (where applicable) are treated as different models, I can’t think of 12.

Blog Entries
    It is a wonder this AD even allows you to take possession of the watch (which you will have paid in full for) on the grounds that you might sell it on or do something with it that they might disapprove of.

Honestly, who the f**k do they think they are?

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Curious ... which 12 models?

Daytona
    Skydweller
    BLNR
    Hulk
    Deepsea D-Blue
    SD43

What else would qualify for this special treatment? Even if different colours (where applicable) are treated as different models, I can’t think of 12.
    He may have been on about other brands like Pp as well ? Not sure

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Best thread in, oh days

And so it goes on,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    It is a wonder this AD even allows you to take possession of the watch (which you will have paid in full for) on the grounds that you might sell it on or do something with it that they might disapprove of.

Honestly, who the f**k do they think they are?
    As long as buyers go along with this hype, they’ll keep doing it. And put prices up. Trouble is, some potential owners are that f*****g desperate to get a Rollie on their wrist, they’ll gladly accept being treated like a first class mug. In my mind, that’s a reason to NOT own a Rolex.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    As long as buyers go along with this hype, they’ll keep doing it. And put prices up. Trouble is, some potential owners are that f*****g desperate to get a Rollie on their wrist, they’ll gladly accept being treated like a first class mug. In my mind, that’s a reason to NOT own a Rolex.
    Excellent and ‘very much to the point’ comments!

Master
    This is the very latest in a long line of threads that has led to me considering writing a short satirical story entitled "The Theatre of Buying or Enquiring About the Purchase of Any Rolex Watch, Part or Accessory". It's comedic when you phone an AD regarding anything Rolex and the sales assistant puts on an Oscar winning performance, I know that Rolex "specialists" are sent off to Kent for training but more often than not you'd be forgiven for thinking it was RADA!

Will they also keep the spare links, you know, in case you try to sell them on a la WatchFinder?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Will they also keep the spare links, you know, in case you try to sell them on a la WatchFinder?
    ”There you go sir, I have resized the bracelet for you”

”May I have MY spare links”?

”Sorry sir, you cannot have them as you might sell them on”!

F**K that!!!