closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desperate, but unsure...

Craftsman

Desperate, but unsure...

So, I'm super-excited to have gotten "the call" to pick up a BLNR from the AD - I've desperately been after one for well over a year (been on lists for several months) and now finally (with the help of a friend who put in a good word) this is materialising...

However, this stuff about warranty card retention for 12 months has got me confused! I'm definitely not intending to move it along, in fact I'm trying to think of it as a family keeper, but with a massive house move looming this year I don't particularly fancy having £6.5k tied up with a de facto restraint on selling it.

Not really sure what I'm saying/asking here - I'm desperate for a batman, so should I just take the warranty card thing on the chin? Any other thoughts/comments?
    Last edited by Chris_X; 11th March 2018 at 09:54.

If you love the watch as much as you say then the AD keeping the warranty card for 12 months won't be an issue.

Especially as you will not be flipping it

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

If it's a keeper it's not really an issue, but if push came to shove and you did need to sell it on, I am sure someone on here would buy it knowing that they may have to wait a few months until you can collect and then deliver the warranty.

Does sort of rule out WF though.

I would go for it.

You’d have no problem recovering £6500 for it even without the card. Go for it.

If you’re only in it to make a few quid towards your house move, then don’t.
    Last edited by -Ally-; 10th March 2018 at 21:18.

Vote with your feet and turn it down. They will struggle to find another buyer, and you can then name your terms (i.e. with warranty card).

Then again ...

Craftsman
    After discussing this with another mate, he told me that his mate had just picked up a white face ceramic daytona from WoS in Brighton - he left the premises with a fully stickered watch and warranty card...he hasn't been on any waiting list, yet buys watches often from there...and to rub salt in the wound, he says he is getting a black faced one next week!

I often go into WoS in Royal Exchange, London and have been told repeatedly about their waiting lists and warranty card retention policies!

So my dilemma in post #1 continues
    Last edited by Chris_X; 13th March 2018 at 16:05.

Master
    If I thought I needed the money in the next year, I would pass.
    I personally wouldn’t buy the watch privately without the warranty card, in case I wanted to sell it on in that period also

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    After discussing this with another mate, he told me that his mate had just picked up a white face ceramic daytona from WoS in Brighton - he left the premises with a fully stickered watch and warranty card...he hasn't been on any waiting list, yet buys watches often from there - he says openly he doesn't even like daytonas and low & behold he sold it for £13k within 24 hours...and to rub salt in the wound, he says he is getting a black faced one next week!

Of course he has "spent" dozens of thousands of pounds in store (hence is a preferred customer), but looks like he's made just as much in conning others out of "hard to find" pieces! Oh the injustice!!

I often go into WoS in Royal Exchange, London and have been told repeatedly about their waiting lists and warranty card retention policies! Utter bull-dust...

Yet my dilemma in post #1 continues

Here is evidence - sales assistant 12 by the name of Spence must be a right turd, except in the eyes of my mate's mate (to whom he clearly is a cash-cow)

Lucky for some. I'd be happy to get on a Daytona waiting list, but the more i read about these it sounds like it is just a way for the ADs to palm you off.

For your dilemma, i would get the watch and just accept the 12 month retention of the warranty card - the time will go by quickly and it's only a temporary tie-up of the c£7k in case you do need to sell it.

Master
    After discussing this with another mate, he told me that his mate had just picked up a white face ceramic daytona from WoS in Brighton - he left the premises with a fully stickered watch and warranty card...he hasn't been on any waiting list, yet buys watches often from there - he says openly he doesn't even like daytonas and low & behold he sold it for £13k within 24 hours...and to rub salt in the wound, he says he is getting a black faced one next week!

Of course he has "spent" dozens of thousands of pounds in store (hence is a preferred customer), but looks like he's made just as much in conning others out of "hard to find" pieces! Oh the injustice!!

I often go into WoS in Royal Exchange, London and have been told repeatedly about their waiting lists and warranty card retention policies! Utter bull-dust...

Here is evidence - sales assistant 12 by the name of Spence must be a right turd, except in the eyes of my mate's mate (to whom he clearly is a cash-cow)

Well you've just royally stitched your mates mate up there. Doubt he'll be getting the black faced.

Seems a mates done you a favour by getting you top of the list. Personally, I'd say thanks and buy the watch.

Don't over think things. Buy without warranty, or don't buy. They're the only options.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    You’d have no problem recovering £6500 for it even without the card. Go for it.

If you’re only in it to make a few quid towards your house move, then don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If it's a keeper it's not really an issue, but if push came to shove and you did need to sell it on, I am sure someone on here would buy it knowing that they may have to wait a few months until you can collect and then deliver the warranty.

Does sort of rule out WF though.

I would go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    If you love the watch as much as you say then the AD keeping the warranty card for 12 months won't be an issue.

Especially as you will not be flipping it

That's what I'm leaning towards...I have come close to paying quite a bit over list to get it on my wrist, so I don't think it makes sense to let this warranty card thing put me off...I really want a batman, but i stopped myself paying over list because I'd feel a bit like a mug and I can't help but get a bit of that feeling again now if I was to leave the AD without a warranty card.

Besides, what happens if the AD misplaces my warranty card or it gets stolen or given to the wrong person...a year is a long time in a store!?
    Last edited by Chris_X; 11th March 2018 at 09:50.

Besides, what happens if the AD misplaces my warranty card or it gets stolen or given to the wrong person...a year is a long time in a store!?

They would just order you a replacement card from Rolex.

You have said that you have personal financial reasons why you don’t want to commit to this watch for the full coming twelve months. So maybe pass on this and buy when you have higher confidence of committing without it putting something else in jeopardy?

Watches < houses. YMMV.

Master
    If it was me I’d email them back telling them what you’ve said here, explain the Watch was for a family heirloom but you won’t have your property held hostage while people (like your other post) can get a full set and flip for a profit. I’d then tell them due to their silly requirements they can sell it to some other mug.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the dealers are doing this to some people to appear legit to Rolex yet still having deals with known flippers for back handers. So all that really changes is the genuine buyer gets made an example of while the flippers laugh posting pics of their spoils.

In fact, that guy bragging on pics and flipping like that is a bit stupid really. Could quite easily rub some genuine buyer up the wrong way and make them kick up a fuss to Rolex. Doubt the supplying dealer would be too pleased, but then again maybe they deserve some grief.

What's to stop you from buying the watch then calling the dealer the next day to say you want your warranty card sent to you? Can they keep it from you and can you just ask Rolex to send another?
    "A man of little significance"

Banned
    I think without the cards you would still be able to sell the watch on if needed, you wouldn't get as much but still would probably break even.
    I also think if you had to sell and went back and explained you really had to sell you would be able to get the cards.

Craftsman
    Just don't get all this nonsense!!
    Do not think for one minute it's Rolex policy just ADs being up themselves.
    Would rather be without the watch than sign up to this crap!!!
    " Yes Sir, pick your car up tomorrow but we will be keeping the spare wheel for the first year" have to smile.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

This kind of thing seems to be discussed on here more and more often. I don't understand any of it and maybe someone will enlighten me!

My two cents........

Rolex sells watch to dealer. Rolex makes its profit
    Dealer sells watch to punter. Dealer makes its profit.

As far as the official Rolex side of things goes. The deals are done, so what does it matter what happens to the watch afterwards?

If Rolex were at all concerned about watches being sold for higher prices (rarity value) via the grey market then they would up production instead of restricting supply. They can't have their cake and eat it. I don't think Rolex care at all tbh, they are making their money. And I don't see why ADs should care......makes no sense to me......what do they hope to achieve by preventing people from 'flipping' if they should desire? If anything, it is Rolex that they should direct their ire towards, not the customer.

Have I got this totally wrong? Help

Best thread in, oh days

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    This kind of thing seems to be discussed on here more and more often. I don't understand any of it and maybe someone will enlighten me!

My two cents........

Rolex sells watch to dealer. Rolex makes its profit
    Dealer sells watch to punter. Dealer makes its profit.

As far as the official Rolex side of things goes. The deals are done, so what does it matter what happens to the watch afterwards?

If Rolex were at all concerned about watches being sold for higher prices (rarity value) via the grey market then they would up production instead of restricting supply. They can't have their cake and eat it. I don't think Rolex care at all tbh, they are making their money. And I don't see why ADs should care......makes no sense to me......what do they hope to achieve by preventing people from 'flipping' if they should desire? If anything, it is Rolex that they should direct their ire towards, not the customer.

Have I got this totally wrong? Help
    Don't think so, your perception makes perfect sense.
    I personally no matter how much I liked, wanted something be it a watch or anything, I would struggle paying much more than list.
    Do not agree with this buying to sell on straight away at a good profit and most of this is due to be fair with the mates rates side of it or the well known at ADs thing!
    Balls it up for the true watch enthusias but Hay Ho way of the world with a lot of goods.
    Keep paying over the odds and it just gets worse!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Best thread in, oh days

I m getting so awfully tired from this utter nonsense.
    I think these Rolex dealers are bonkers. They sold the watch and have to deliver. You can t renegotiate AFTER you made a deal, so demanding the warranty card for 12 months would seem totally unacceptable to me.

I wouldn't even want to buy something under these conditions.
    When spending this sort of idiotic money on a mass produced watch, I expect good service, a drink, a friendly chat, some extra perchance but not the seller telling me: thank you for your hard earned cash, now F.O. and leave the warranty card here for 12 months.

In all fairness, I probably would respond by telling them: if you don't give me the full package: fine, but I'll be unable to give you my full pack of cash... Let's pay the final one grand in a year or so.

There are so many ways I can spend my money with sellers giving me a first class experience. I know of no reason to accept anything less.

When you pay more than 100 for a watch it’s mostly about emotion. This warranty card thing doesn’t help in that regard.

It's a keeper… but it would also be nice to make a grand or two, if it wasn't for that pesky warranty card

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    When you pay more than 100 for a watch it’s mostly about emotion. This warranty card thing doesn’t help in that regard.
    I couldn't agree more. I am wondering if I ever could get over the experience and basically insult.

A buyer is 100% free to do with his property as he likes within the legal framework. Sellers trying to limit this liberty make me feel very uncomfortable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I am wondering if I ever could get over the experience and basically insult.

A buyer is 100% free to do with his property as he likes within the legal framework. Sellers trying to limit this liberty make me feel very uncomfortable.

Craftsman
    You can still sell a watch without warranty card, I have done that myself and buyer is happy to wait till I receive it from the AD. It was “only” a ND SubC.

If your happy to wait for 12 months then buy it. If your not, let me know the AD and I’ll buy it ha.

The story about WoS is a kicker. How did he get it then? They just called him and bypassed their list I assume? If he can buy and sell them then fair game to him. Most people would do the same I guess if they had the same opportunity.

Master
    They don't have to sell to you, and you don't have to buy from them. So you accept the conditions or you walk away.
    They don't care because they can sell the watch to soneone else, that's life. If you plan to keep the watch , it hardly matters anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    They can't have their cake and eat it.:
    Has anyone told them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Is it non-negotiable the 12 months? What if a severe life event happens? Could they release it earlier in that case?

Perhaps suggest to your AD that you're only willing to accept a shorter holding time for the warranty card (6 months I've read from other forum members).

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    Has anyone told them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I will pm Mr Kipling

This again

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Sell it Back to the dealer, I'm sure they will give you full rrp back for it and sell it on again wit no problems! At least they have let you know prior to you going into store that they will be retaining the card!

Master
    Blog Entries
    It seems to me half the pleasure in owning a Rolex is the non stop drama and finding every permutation you can think of to discuss them over and over again.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    It seems to me half the pleasure in owning a Rolex is the non stop drama and finding every permutation you can think of to discuss them over and over again.

Don’t shoot the messenger.
    I don't think that's too far from the truth actually

Master

He may be your mate, but I doubt he’ll feel the same way shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    I m getting so awfully tired from this utter nonsense.
    I think these Rolex dealers are bonkers. They sold the watch and have to deliver. You can t renegotiate AFTER you made a deal, so demanding the warranty card for 12 months would seem totally unacceptable to me.
    It may well be but the dealer is negotiating BEFORE the deal is agreed.

They haven’t yet sold the watch.

^^I wonder how soon this gets back to Rolex?
    2 in 2 weeks is rather taking the mick isn't it?

What would happen if, after a few weeks of ownership, you wanted to drop it off at St James' because it was running a few seconds out of tolerance? I presume you'd need the card if you wanted it done for free or would the AD take care of the regulating?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    What would happen if, after a few weeks of ownership, you wanted to drop it off at St James' because it was running a few seconds out of tolerance? I presume you'd need the card if you wanted it done for free or would the AD take care of the regulating?
    Doubt it. They’d look up the serial number and regulate it.

Of course they may want to see the AD’s letter.

The watch has the guarantee irrespective of the card.

Master
    OP you have divulged too much detail about your mate’s mate’s deal on a public forum. Regardless of how you feel about this, a little restraint would have been nice. It’s too late to remove it as it’s been quoted multiple times. I have been on list for the pictured watch for a year now and would like the opportunity to buy it but I accept that’s life ... people who spend more than me have a better chance of obtaining one so I’m not bitter about it, even if they end up selling straightaway while I continue to wait.

As far as your BLNR dilemma is concerned, I agree with those who say you shouldn’t lose any money even if you need to sell it without the warranty card. If not, 12 months will fly and you will have the card. As per your thread title, you’re desperate for it so go for it. I still can’t believe I hesitated for a little while after finding a BLNR at an AD abroad (because it was more expensive than UK RRP) after months of trying in the UK and elsewhere. Glad my wife pushed me in the right direction.

I am due to pick up a watch tomorrow which is not as high on the desirability scale as a BLNR. Also don’t expect the warranty card to be held due to my good relationship with the AD. However, if I find that they have also introduced such a policy since my last purchase there and try to apply it to me, I will simply walk away as I am not that desperate for it and can’t guarantee I wouldn’t want to sell it in the next 12 months. If it was a Daytona, I wouldn’t think twice and buy it without warranty card as it would be the last watch I sell.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Doubt it. They’d look up the serial number and regulate it.

Of course they may want to see the AD’s letter.

The watch has the guarantee irrespective of the card.
    Rolex St. James asked for my warranty card when I had mine regulated. That is not to say they wouldn’t have done it if I didn’t have the card. In the OP’s case, I think the AD has already stated they would take care of any warranty issues by sending the watch and card to Rolex.

The Till receipts shows two different amounts: £9,100 and £8,100 - did your friend get a discount or did he initially pay a deposit of £1,000 ?

Grand Master
    If you want it, buy it. If you can afford it, buy it. If you think you need the money for other stuff maybe you can’t really afford it?.......maybe this isn’t the right time for you to be spending big money on a watch.

Can’t see what’s to be gained by coming on here and complaining about it, ADs call the shots thesedays and that’s the way it is. Whinging about the Daytona seems pointless to me and somewhat tactless, referring to the sales guy as a turd is out of order and does you no credit.

Just make the decision........will anything anyone posts on here make a difference?

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 11th March 2018 at 00:20.

Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    The Till receipts shows two different amounts: £9,100 and £8,100 - did your friend get a discount or did he initially pay a deposit of £1,000 ?
    Next to £8100 is a word ending in 'nce' which is presumably 'balance' after a £1000 deposit was paid.

Blog Entries
    So, I'm super-excited to have gotten "the call" to pick up a BLNR from the AD - I've desperately been after one for well over a year (been on lists for several months) and now finally (with the help of a friend who put in a good word) this is materialising...

However, this nonsense about warranty card retention for 12 months has got me thinking twice (read below)! I'm definitely not intending to move it along, in fact I'm trying to think of it as a family keeper, but with a massive house move looming this year I don't particularly fancy having £6.5k tied up with a de facto restraint on selling it.

Not really sure what I'm saying/asking here - I'm desperate for a batman, so should I just take the warranty card thing on the chin or tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine? Any other thoughts/comments?

In case it is of interest (perhaps as to tone) here is what the AD said:

I’ve just left you a voicemail after [ ] sent me your details this morning so I’m following up via email. I wanted to introduce myself and to answer any questions you may have about the watch or indeed, the process surrounding the watch. We should receive the GMT-Master II BLNR in towards the middle of next week and I will be in touch once it arrives, at which points we can arrange a date for you to come to collect the watch.

The main thing to clarify is regarding the guarantee card retention policy that we have in place across a selection of the most sought after reference models of which the BLNR is one of them. We keep your guarantee card in store for a period of 12 months from the date of purchase and we give you a letter to confirm the policy. During this time, in the unlikely event that an issue arises with the watch, then we would send the watch to Rolex along with your guarantee card and so, you would be still fully covered for the duration of the five-year Rolex warranty.
    Yeah right. If you really wanted it you'd buy it anyway. If you can't afford to tie up £6.5k why even think of it? I have my name down for one and I don't care if they keep the warranty card in store for 12 months. But then I don't want to flip it for a profit you see. And all that pony about your mate flipping the Daytona is just because you want to do the same.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 11th March 2018 at 00:35.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Yeah right. If you really wanted it you'd buy it anyway. If you can't afford to tie up £6.5k why even think of it? I have my name down for one and I don't care if they keep the warranty card in store for 12 months. But then I don't want to flip it for a profit you see. And all that pony about your mate flipping the Daytona is just because you want to do the same.
    Sums up the situation perfectly.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Sums up the situation perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I also thought I wouldn't care if they keep the warranty card, but I wasn't too sure tonight, so I thought I'd start a friendly thread on a watch forum to discuss that...

Anyway, I have decided to go for it and I'm really looking forward to that.

Ps - the guy with the daytona story isn't a mate, it's a mate's mate
    Last edited by Chris_X; 11th March 2018 at 09:52.

Ps - the guy with the daytona story isn't a mate, it's a mate's mate
    I love it when grey or second hand dealers detail where the Watch was originally sold, Haywood does it on most his premium priced watches. Adds to the fun when Goldsmiths try to tell you that their list is cleaner than clean and you can respond by asking why most of these so called trusted buyers instantly cash in for a profit. They struggle to respond.

Hate to say it, but there are a fair few on here just like your mates mate. The constant buying and profit making gives them more credibility with the ADs. That's why I support stuff like retaining warranty cards for 12 months. Anything to stop them wins my support.

You pay the money and its your watch but Rolex are trying to stop the grey dealing as in what your mate is doing - was doing now its bang in the open!

Also OP have you been pulled in the past for selling SC purchases on other forums for profit? Sorry if I'm wrong but the name rings a bell..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 11th March 2018 at 01:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    He may be your mate, but I doubt he’ll feel the same way shortly.
    I really don’t understand why the OP felt the need to post a pic of the watch or receipt - we all know this goes on.
    It's just a matter of time...

People know how much the RRP is for a Daytona its clear as day on the Rolex website, if people want to pay an extra 4k for the watch that really is their problem. For all this guff about gray dealers, AD's, special friendships with dealers, waiting lists or anything else reality is the market exists because people are mug enough to pay over the odds for what at the end of the day is just a watch. If an AD says they want to retain the warranty my guess is for the average person who is buying the watch because they like it couldn't care less and most likely would be quite happy that the dealer is going to look after them for the next 12 months should anything go wrong with the watch. If you don't like the policy of a shop don't buy from it, if you don't like the policy of a particular watch brand don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It may well be but the dealer is negotiating BEFORE the deal is agreed.

They haven’t yet sold the watch.
    He is on the list and the deal was concluded (which watch, price). An agreement had been reached (at least: that would be the situstion under Dutch law).
    Only delivery and payment are to be taken care of.
    Hence my conclusion: they are trying to change the deal.