closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Waterproof jacket and trousers

Journeyman

Waterproof jacket and trousers

I'm a season ticket holder at The Rec (Bath Rugby) with a seat in the open. After last night's deluge (of Biblical proportions) I'm in the market for a (very) waterproof jacket and trousers. I walk to the ground (about 40 mins each way) so ideally at least the jacket would be sufficiently "breathable" to ensure I don't turn up looking like I've stepped out of a sauna. And sometimes I go for a meal before the match, so if the jacket could look reasonably presentable (and not like I'm just heading up a mountain) that would be even better!

Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    You could check out barbour, may find what you are looking for?

https://www.barbour.com/uk/categorie...weathercomfort

I’ve just bought myself a wax jacket from Verney-Carron
    Kind of French made Barbour that compares very favourably with Barbour and has some nice detailing to it
    Got it in a small independent outdoors shop in the New Forest but I see them on eBay also
    Not a brand I was familiar with but a great “find”
    It was £109

Quote Originally Posted by WestwardBound View Post
    I'm a season ticket holder at The Rec (Bath Rugby) with a seat in the open. After last night's deluge (of Biblical proportions) I'm in the market for a (very) waterproof jacket and trousers. I walk to the ground (about 40 mins each way) so ideally at least the jacket would be sufficiently "breathable" to ensure I don't turn up looking like I've stepped out of a sauna. And sometimes I go for a meal before the match, so if the jacket could look reasonably presentable (and not like I'm just heading up a mountain) that would be even better!

Any suggestions?

Lol. I was there last night as well in the East Stand and yes, it was proper forty days and nights.

I was wearing a pair of Calloway Waterproof Golf Trousers (not over trousers) - with a base layer, Pijar boots (like Duck Boots). And an Aigle Parker. Stayed perfectly dry, although the chest pockets of my Parka filled up with water for some reason.

During the day I played golf (in the same weather) wearing the same trousers - they are that good, and a Galvin Green Goretex jacket. Again stayed perfectly dry.

My son's "waterproof trousers" purchased by his mum, failed after about 20 minutes! The moral of the story being you get what you pay for.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    Many thanks for the suggestions; I have some googling to do. I have a Barbour jacket, but a traditional one - after all, I am a Bath supporter and need to fit the stereotype.

Great to hear from a fellow East Stander - my 10 year old Paramo rain jacket lasted about as long as your son's waterproof trousers!. Don't think I've ever been so wet, luckily didn't realise how wet until I got home. I suspect the game will become an "I was there!" moment, along the lines of the first Sex Pistols Manchester gig (well, maybe not quite like that).

Master
    Just rewash your paramo in nikwax all will be fine I’m sure, paramo are the only waterproofs I’ve used in god knows how long that haven’t let me down at some point .

Paramo. If it’s not working wash and reproof as above. Absolutely bomb proof stuff.

Journeyman
    I don't want to turn this into a Paramo lovers vs haters thread, but I've not been convinced by my jacket when sitting down, especially in serious rain. Just seems to soak right through. Otherwise its been good.

Haglofs spitz jacket. Had mine 8 years totally waterproof still

Master
    I don't want to turn this into a Paramo lovers vs haters thread, but I've not been convinced by my jacket when sitting down, especially in serious rain. Just seems to soak right through. Otherwise its been good.
    Have you reproofed it? Honestly I’ve never once had a problem with paramo even working outside in all weathers wearing it but I’m pretty anal about keeping it treated every few months.

Craftsman
    Galvin Green Gore-Tex. Pricey, but worth every cent.

Master
    Henri Lloyd do some nice wax jackets that repel the water well and also look quite smart if needed. No hood though so maybe not great if its really coming down.

If not, maybe something from Jack Wolskin? I have a parka of theirs and its brilliant - warm, waterproof, comfortable, plenty of pockets etc.

I'm quite taken with the Verney- Carron mentioned earlier - seems like some nice styling. Be interested to know what the fit is like.

Many thanks for the suggestions; I have some googling to do. I have a Barbour jacket, but a traditional one - after all, I am a Bath supporter and need to fit the stereotype.

Great to hear from a fellow East Stander - my 10 year old Paramo rain jacket lasted about as long as your son's waterproof trousers!. Don't think I've ever been so wet, luckily didn't realise how wet until I got home. I suspect the game will become an "I was there!" moment, along the lines of the first Sex Pistols Manchester gig (well, maybe not quite like that).

LOL - it was rather epic made slightly better by the result I suppose, although not a great match.

Did you notice God's little joke. The rain stopped at bang on 80 minutes.

Ref Wax jackets - traditional yes, but sooooo last century. Get yourself some proper tactical lightweight stuff with needs zero maintenance and leave the wax jackets to the old farts.

I do have a Matchless Wax jacket myself (being an old fart),but knew it would never survive without a brolly. If you fancy a more traditional look go for a shooting jacket with a goretex lining, the only problem being they weight a ton.

the other alternative - very Bath, would be a Quba Sailing jacket (made from sailing cloth), but it cannot beat Goretex.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    I work out side most day and the best you can buy is Galvin Green golf wear should last you for years or any think with gore-tex in.

If you can find or mail order some Patagonia gear you won’t go wrong. For my build the sizing is spot on and if it ever fails send it back for replacement. My first Patagonia waterproof jacket only started leaking after 25 years of service... I kid you not! Bought it in a little shop in Hereford while on holiday with my grandfather when I was 12 and last year (still fits) while fly fishing it started leaking at the seams.

Why it still fits you are probably thinking, I bought it to wear over my life jacket and gear when we went canoeing and now it fits under my life jacket etc... I am slightly larger now compared to when I was 12!
    Last edited by canuck; 11th March 2018 at 01:04.

Journeyman
    Many thanks for all the suggestions. Short term I’m going to try reproofing, so am off into town shortly to search out NikWax Tech Wash and reproofer. I’ve already got the washing machine on the hottest cycle to clean out any residual washing powder.

Medium term, it’s time for me to research and buy a new waterproof jacket and trousers. I think I deserve to treat myself after Bath’s pretty poor performance this season, and England’s yesterday!

Thanks again.

Master
    Many thanks for all the suggestions. Short term I’m going to try reproofing, so am off into town shortly to search out NikWax Tech Wash and reproofer. I’ve already got the washing machine on the hottest cycle to clean out any residual washing powder.

Medium term, it’s time for me to research and buy a new waterproof jacket and trousers. I think I deserve to treat myself after Bath’s pretty poor performance this season, and England’s yesterday!

Thanks again.
    Worth having a look at sportspursuit they generally have some decent deals on goretex kit although I’m sure after a good wash and reproof your paramo will be back up to scratch.

Another vote for Galvin Green - I have a pair of their waterproof trousers and they’re brilliant. Went sledging last week in them!!

Another vote for Galvin Green, great stuff, if it’s good enough for Scottish weather....

Craftsman
    Parimo here, both myself and my wife have jackets, I use it to walk the dog in, never been wet, really quite impressed. I also have a Barbour which I bought in 1986, its been reproofed many times and refurbished, but its not as waterproof as the latest technical jackets

Waterproof jacket and trousers

Riding a motorbike goretex seems to be the only stuff that is truly waterproof longterm. They are cheaper solutions (such as Dainese D Dry) but goretex still commands a premium for a reason!

By “long term” I mean both sustained soaking and years or use.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    For jacket, Mountain Equipment Tupilak, or any of their other Gore Tex Pro jackets (Janak/Lhotse/Changabang) - whichever fits better.

They also have Tupilak trousers, but won't fit your 'and not like I'm just heading up a mountain' criteria.

Some people swear by Paramo, but I'm sceptical about how waterproof they actually are of you're standing in driving rain for a long time

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    For jacket, Mountain Equipment Tupilak, or any of their other Gore Tex Pro jackets (Janak/Lhotse/Changabang) - whichever fits better.

They also have Tupilak trousers, but won't fit your 'and not like I'm just heading up a mountain' criteria.

Some people swear by Paramo, but I'm sceptical about how waterproof they actually are of you're standing in driving rain for a long time
    Wore paramo for years watching various family members football matches etc and never once been wet also worn on many hikes etc just find it’s more breathable than goretex etc so I don’t end up wet from sweat either.

I agree with the comments made so far washing and re-proofing any currently owned waterproof clothing. Most people don't realise from sweat you get a salt build up on the inside of your clothing and this can cause the breathability to be compromised, to the point that some people blame the outer jacket, when they are in fact wet from the inside!

If you would still like to go down the 'outdoor' jacket route. Try looking for one made with an Event membrane. Event is as waterproof as Gore-Tex (ie 100%,but in measured steps), but a lot more breathable.

In this country when we walk outside we tend to get out of the carand walk straight uphill. Gore-tex, whilst amazing in terms of waterproofing values (up 30K water column), just can't compete with Event in terms of breathability.

Alternatively, to keep in the Bath/General rugby set. Have a look at a Schoffel Country jacket.

I'll leave it at that, but, yes, I will admit to having a dog in this race. 20yrs in the Outdoor/Ski industry and current working for brands such as Schoffel (Skiwear), Icebreaker and Black Diamond

Good Luck with Your Search
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Galvin Green Gore-Tex. Pricey, but worth every cent.
    Have to agree, I don't own a Galvin Green GT but some of my mates do they swear but it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    I agree with the comments made so far washing and re-proofing any currently owned waterproof clothing. Most people don't realise from sweat you get a salt build up on the inside of your clothing and this can cause the breathability to be compromised, to the point that some people blame the outer jacket, when they are in fact wet from the inside!

If you would still like to go down the 'outdoor' jacket route. Try looking for one made with an Event membrane. Event is as waterproof as Gore-Tex (ie 100%,but in measured steps), but a lot more breathable.

In this country when we walk outside we tend to get out of the carand walk straight uphill. Gore-tex, whilst amazing in terms of waterproofing values (up 30K water column), just can't compete with Event in terms of breathability.

Alternatively, to keep in the Bath/General rugby set. Have a look at a Schoffel Country jacket.

I'll leave it at that, but, yes, I will admit to having a dog in this race. 20yrs in the Outdoor/Ski industry and current working for brands such as Schoffel (Skiwear), Icebreaker and Black Diamond

Good Luck with Your Search
    John
    Apparently the Gore with C-Knit backing is more breathable than Pro. Gore-tex pro is great but damn the breathability sucks. Not heard of Event, i'll have a look at that.

Was in a bike shop today so asked about the difference between waterproof and breathable proprietary membranes (used by huge companies such as Dainese and Alpinestars) and the vastly more expensive goretex ranges from the same manufacturers. I was told it was the water pressure the membrane could cope with before letting go - the proprietary ones were 25 kg/cm2 (I think this was the unit of measurement) vs 35 for goretex. Unlikely to matter whilst watching rugby but interesting that there is an actual difference in use (at least for motorcyclists).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Stuck my head in over half a dozen hiking shops in Cambridge today asking if they stocked Paramo without any luck.
    Seems to be hard stuff to track down round here.
    I shall continue my search though, following the recommendations on here.
    A slight reduction in waterproofness, and an increase in regular proofing requirements. Seems a worthy price to pay for vastly better breathability. As I have always found waterproof membranes, Gore-Tex or not, to be clammy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Wore paramo for years watching various family members football matches etc and never once been wet also worn on many hikes etc just find it’s more breathable than goretex etc so I don’t end up wet from sweat either.
    It only has a DWR coating; it's not a laminate - of course it's more breathable than Goretex.

I'm no fan of Goretex, in fact I hate wearing my waterproofs, but in terms of weather proofness, it's the best I've tried. And the breathability of the Pro version that the jackets I suggested are made of is half decent too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moses View Post
    Stuck my head in over half a dozen hiking shops in Cambridge today asking if they stocked Paramo without any luck.
    Seems to be hard stuff to track down round here.
    I shall continue my search though, following the recommendations on here.
    A slight reduction in waterproofness, and an increase in regular proofing requirements. Seems a worthy price to pay for vastly better breathability. As I have always found waterproof membranes, Gore-Tex or not, to be clammy.
    Do you have a go outdoors near you they normally have a decent selection of paramo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Do you have a go outdoors near you they normally have a decent selection of paramo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not one in Cambridge, but there are a couple not too far away. I will pop in one when I next get the chance. Thank you for the suggestion.

Master
    Not one in Cambridge, but there are a couple not too far away. I will pop in one when I next get the chance. Thank you for the suggestion.
    No problem good luck on your search, oh and I’ll also add paramo gear is pretty much rustle free so you don’t feel like a walking crisp packet but it is a bit warmer easily dealt with using layering in my experience. Dependant on use the halcon (longer coat I use for dog walking and football watching) or the bentu fleece and shell combination are the most versatile imo.

Blog Entries
    A few good brands are mentioned already. Another one: Musto. Not only for the Volvo Ocean Racers crossing the Roaring 40s of the South Pacific, but Musto also has a great line of 'land gear'.

When re-proofing I have personally found Grangers to be much more reliable than Nikwax at restoring the DWR coating.

I have also had significantly better results when I have used soft water to clean and re-proof, which means that I generally re-proof my gear while I am away on holiday in the Lake District, as the water is simply too hard at home. The application of gentle heat when drying definitely seems to improve the results, even if the instructions say that it is not strictly required.

My gear is all 3 layer Event by RAB and it has lasted very well. Their customer support is also superb.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    When re-proofing I have personally found Grangers to be much more reliable than Nikwax at restoring the DWR coating.

I have also had significantly better results when I have used soft water to clean and re-proof, which means that I generally re-proof my gear while I am away on holiday in the Lake District, as the water is simply too hard at home. The application of gentle heat when drying definitely seems to improve the results, even if the instructions say that it is not strictly required.

My gear is all 3 layer Event by RAB and it has lasted very well. Their customer support is also superb.
    Are you using the wash in reproofer? I’ve always found nikwax wash in to be superb but I’ve never tried the spray on stuff

Are you using the wash in reproofer? I’ve always found nikwax wash in to be superb but I’ve never tried the spray on stuff
    Yes, It was the wash-in stuff.
    The Nikwax made virtually no improvment at all, but the Grangers was MUCH better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Yes, It was the wash-in stuff.
    The Nikwax made virtually no improvment at all, but the Grangers was MUCH better.
    Wow interesting to know I’ll try the grangers wash in next time, I use their wax on my boots and it’s good stuff but I’ve never had an issue with the nikwax wash in always up for trying something recommended though.

Master
    I’ve used both wash in and spray on Nixwax on numerous items and it has always worked well. It also helps to tumble dry the items once proofed in my experience.

Master
    Wow interesting to know I’ll try the grangers wash in next time, I use their wax on my boots and it’s good stuff but I’ve never had an issue with the nikwax wash in always up for trying something recommended though.
    not for re-proofing, but I've also found the Grangers Performance Wash much better than Nikwax Techwash (did a much better job at cleaning mud off my jacket)

I'll be sticking with Grangers when I run out of my Nikwax stuff

That's your best bet, www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/findaretailer confirms that they are the nearest outlet.

If you ever get up to London, the Paramo store in Marylebone stocks full range.

Sign up for a loyalty card and get 10% off your first purchase. If lucky the nice assistant will say you’re a RSPB member for a further 5%.

Also 50% off Nikwax bought at same time.