closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: central minute/seconds chrono

central minute/seconds chrono

Anyone know of a chronograph with central minutes and seconds totalising?
    The only one I know of is the rather excellent looking A-13-A
    I'd quite like one of these but was wondering if there are other options anyone's aware of...

A handy resource: https://journal.hautehorlogerie.org/...s-chronograph/

It's full of models and movements to look for.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 10th March 2018 at 01:01.

Any one of the many brands with a Lemania 5100 movement ticking away inside.

I think the new dc80 Damasko one button chrono is one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other options with the same ETA 251.232 / 251.233 / 251.264 family of quartz movements as the A-13A:
    Breitling avenger M1
    Tutima Pacific chronograph
    PRS 17-C
    Omega Polaris chronograph

There are others too, but those are the ones that caught my eye.

I’ve just bought an M1 here on SC as my first foray into owning this family of movements. Pick up on Monday!

See Habring2 for mechanical ones

Master
    My personal view is that it's the best possible chrono display - great legibility, since you read minutes off the whole circumference of the dial rather than a small sub-dial.
    Movements include:
    QUARTZ - ETA 251.262 - various watches including PRS-17C; Revue Thommen Airspeed; Bali Hai C; 251.232 (in the Breitling M1)
    AUTO - LEMANIA 5100 and 5012 plus Omega versions of these;there's also a version of the Lemania 5100 used in the Breguet XXI. Sinn / Damasko created the SZ01 (used in Sinn EZM10; EZM1.1 and in a couple of Damasko models which should be coming shortly) which is a modified Valjoux 7750; plus a composite modules based on the Dupois-Debraz including one used in the Breitling 125 Anniversary Navitimer.

Master
    The rather handsome, but flipping huge, Panerai 653 has central minutes chronograph:

http://www.paneraicentral.com/panera...yback-acciaio/

simon

Master

Just picked up a rare Lemania 5100 version of the Revue Thomsen Airspeed Chronograph .
    Last edited by HappyJack; 20th April 2018 at 02:24.

That’s a nice watch, always liked them some have a small yellow detail on one of the sundials that I like

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    That’s a nice watch, always liked them some have a small yellow detail on one of the sundials that I like
    The version with the yellow on the Subdial is a Valjoux 7750 movement - with 30minute sundial, rather than a central minutes chrono. Looks good, but it's not as easy to read at a glance as the Lemania 5100 version.

I've previously had a Lemania 5100 RT, and several of the RT Airspeed quartz versions (the blue dial on the right below), which have the 251.262 movement and a 60-0 countdown rather than a 0-60 diver bezel. But I prefer the look and utility of the Lemania version (black dial, on the left below).

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    A handy resource: https://journal.hautehorlogerie.org/...s-chronograph/

It's full of models and movements to look for.
    Hmm, it is also not wholly accurate, stating that Breguet;s Type XX movement is based on the Lemania 1340 and that the XXI is modular (when it too is 1340 derived). And a bit speculative on the demise of Lemania.
    They also miss out on a few others who have this mechanical complication, two that spring to mind used to use 5100s

Bell and Ross have recreated a centre-minutes chrono, albeit as an LE, one is for sale in France for £3.4k.
    Tutima have too

Sinn have a few powered with the new SZ01 movement.
    The DD2079 module also has homes in interesting places. Waltham Aeronavale anyone????? hmmm, thought not. Carl F Bucherer Manero Centralchrono?

All a bit pricey, I would go for a lightly used 5100. There are so many designs out there. I collated a list of over 50 dial names on watches that use the 5100 or derivatives. A quick Chrono24 search has 5100s starting at £800, and a very good value pd chrono for £1100 for starters. Remember that less popular brands over here like Eberhard and Paul Picot used this movement a lot.

Or, quartz is a definite option if you are happy with that idea.
    The Eta Central minute quartz movements come in everything, and at every spec, from humble Tag Heuer F1 chronos from back in the day, to the much more highly specified, thermocompensated and 1000m WR Breitling Avenger M1, which even uses magnetic pushers so that the WR is not compromised by the use of the pushers.

Giive us some preferences and we can be more help, perhaps. Although it is hard to think of what bveats Paolo's A-13A at the moment.......

Dave

ps - if you can tolerate modules, this Girard Perregaux is interesting
    Last edited by sweets; 20th April 2018 at 09:26. Reason: add ps

Happyjack, good to see you have picked up another Lemania 5100 RT.

That looks to have the aircraft tipped minute hand (my preference) rather than the standard arrow pointer. Were these fitted to later versions in the production run?

Master
    That’s funny! I’ve been wearing the watch for the last three days and hadn’t realised that it was different from my old one, possibly because I have the same chrono hand on my Fortis 644.27.11.

Quote Originally Posted by rushroon View Post
    Happyjack, good to see you have picked up another Lemania 5100 RT.

That looks to have the aircraft tipped minute hand (my preference) rather than the standard arrow pointer. Were these fitted to later versions in the production run?
    Both trit dials, so not sure how much later the other one can be???

central minute/seconds chrono

Yes - not sure. Maybe been fitted as a mod. Looks great though!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Both trit dials, so not sure how much later the other one can be???
    I've just had a look online and managed to find two or three photos of the aeroplane tipped minute hand. Interestingly, these hands don't have the long tail of the standard chrono minute hand, which tends to obscure the hour hand from time to time, but which are a design feature of the titanium Airspeed models - intended to mimic an aircraft instrument like an altimeter. So I don't know if perhaps they ran out of the standard models and used off-the-shelf parts; whether they decided this design was a better option, or whether a previous owner made the change. Mine is practically mint, and has very little sign of use, so I doubt that the change was done by the owner. The chrono second hand is in any case the same as the usual RT model, with the long counterbalanced tail, and quite different from the much thinner hand on the similar size Fortis Cosmonaut Chrono 39mm version:

Thanks for the further background. I’ve long wondered about the long tail in terms of legibility but as you say they perhaps wanted to maintain the cockpit instrument look. Great watches though - very high quality.

The Girard Perregaux Laureato Evo3 Chronograph also features a central chrono minutes hand.
    From what I can see online the movement is entirely in house - can’t determine if it’s based on the Lemania for example, or anything else.

I think it looks great and there’s quite a few on offer on C24, but it’s fairly pricey.