closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The watch shed.

Journeyman

The watch shed.

Is it just me or does having the hobby of watch collecting and general watch appreciation for about forty years normally include the dis-assembly and re-assembly of watches ?
    I have to moderate my purchasing of watches because otherwise I'd buy everything that ticks and then have to build a huge warehouse to keep them.

I'm now feeling the need to make my own watch.
    I probably should start with a pocket watch , for the simple reason that everything is bigger so the tolerances and clearances are easier to manufacture.
    But inevitably I'd like to make my own wristwatch.

I've been slowly converting one of my sheds to a watch workshop, and Ive been a toolmaker and draughtsman for more years than I'd like to own up to.
    This would be my death watch, I fear that I may not have enough time left ( I can hear my life clock ticking loudly LOL ) a watch I would make and wear for a period of time and then happily die .

So for my first watch, I'd like to make a pocket watch to wear with my finest made to measure three piece suits.
    Then a wristwatch.
    I absolutely have to make every single part from raw material otherwise I will feel that I have cheated.

Yes I know I'm utterly bonkers, so does my wife, that's why I have the sheds and she has the idiot lantern in the house.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The very best of luck with it.
    Are you intending to make the movement and crystal from scratch also?

Haha yes I know precisely where you are coming from with this. My whole office/workshop is cluttered with various projects, though none as complex as what you are invariably about to embark on. Nixie tube clock from scratch, clock made from voltmeters, etc., etc.... I'm more an electronics guy, but I have the same problem!

Roger W Smith and Gordon Daniels had to start somewhwhere.....go for it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    The very best of luck with it.
    Are you intending to make the movement and crystal from scratch also?
    Yes.
    The movement is the absolute key to my whole life.
    The individual gears and the bearings that support the shafts that support the gears held within the plates that bear the load.
    The crystal and watch body is pretty much irrelevant at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Haha yes I know precisely where you are coming from with this. My whole office/workshop is cluttered with various projects, though none as complex as what you are invariably about to embark on. Nixie tube clock from scratch, clock made from voltmeters, etc., etc.... I'm more an electronics guy, but I have the same problem!
    It's not just the actual gears that move together , but the shape of the drive radii on each of those teeth on that gear and the way that power is transmitted between those gears.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Were are you based in Herts?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Where are you based in Herts?
    In a small village . . . . . .

Why !

Paul.

As a bit of a draughtsman myself I’d love to see some working drawings or sketch schemes at the very least if it’s not too much of a reveal. I tip my hat to you sir and wish you the very best of luck and good fortune in this venture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Do it.
    I started that path a few years ago, and currently I have made hands, dials and cases. Thought I’d start with the easy stuff whilst accumulating the tools to make gears...
    There were a few pics I of my efforts on threads here and watchuseek watchmakers forum before the photobucket fiasco. The threads are still there and you might be able to gain inspiration from them.
    Post progress and good luck

Dave