closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky Q - worth upgrading from HD?

Sky Q - worth upgrading from HD?

Just got a flyer from Sky
    £65 Set up fee
    £50 for one box and
    £99 for second box

but there is no additional charge for Sky Q subscription.

Is this deal any good?
    Are people glad that they upgraded from HD to Q?

All opinions much appreciated

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'll tell you tomorrow.

Master
    Did it a few months ago and had some networking issues which sorted themselves out.

The advantage is that if you have mini-boxes, you can watch different channels/recordings at the same time.

I used to get caught by SWMBO after watching the first free 10 minutes of "the horny housewives channel" after she'd gone to bed, only to find she'd turned the TV on upstairs, which was linked to the downstairs box by a long HDMI cable.

No such problems now though :-)

Yes! Had it for just over a year. Much more easier to use also love the fact you can record and access anything on all the boxes , start and stop the start from where you stopped at another box. The old system of recording things on each box used to my head in!

Had my Sky Q a month, still not really gelled with it and pretty disappointed with it tbh. I find it less intuitive than Sky+. Other than the additional tuners I’m failing to see any benefit and wish I’d stuck with my old Sky set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn’t enamoured at first but now I wouldn’t be without it, you can record multiple things at the same time and the storage for recordings is excellent.
    HD is a must in my opinion, mainly for the golf in my house 😀

Yes Andrew go for it.
    I’ve had ours for a few months and am pleased with it. Few things I miss on the q that the hd box had but overall is better
    I pay 70 a month for q full package with 2 mini box and sky fibre and phone
    Andy

Sounds generally positive so far.
    Are people going for just one, or more Q boxes?

Oh and 4K is only available on the 2tb main box so no 4K in the bedrooms using the mini boxes

Blog Entries
    We upgraded about 6 months ago. It’s fantastic much better than the old HD system. We took advantage of the same offer. We had main Q box and 2 extra ones fitted. Works a treat you won’t be disappointed.

Our HD boxes are rather long in the tooth, so could probably do with an upgrade.
    I have to confess that 4K/UHD will require buying a superior TV.

I’ve got 4 mini boxes and the main 2TB . As beyond the £99 initial fee there is no additional costs per month I went for all 4- would have liked one more for the study but 4 minis are the most you can have.

Blog Entries
    in a word, brilliant! had mine 6 months, and perfect.

I’m another naysayer.

Got it fitted last Tuesday and today they came and put Sky+ back in.

In our house you can see and hear the lounge TV from the kitchen and visa versa. We used to always have both TVs playing the same thing which was fab. You can’t do that on Q which was something I didn’t realise.

Having two separate boxes has it’s advantages, but we can watch normal tv or catch up on one TV, and sky on the other if necessary.

I was also told that the Q boxes have Apple Airplay and worked "just like a sonos system" which turns out to be rubbish. You can stream music to either Q box but not both together. So that was a let down too.

Then, I found the signal over WiFi from main box to mini very hit and miss, and when it dropped out, we could not watch any tv in the kitchen, not even terrestrial as there’s no RF on the back of the sky q box so we couldn’t connect the Ariel in the roof to the kitchen feed as that goes via the lounge.

All in all, for us, it sucked. I hated the UI too. Much more intuitive on Sky +. You can’t even start a recording where you want on Q. Only from the beginning. So if you’d recorded an hour long show and wanted to see the last 10 mins, you’d have to press play and then tediously fast forward through 50 mins........ (You can voice command this on the 2TB box but not the 1TB)

Other than all that, it was fab.
    Last edited by mr noble; 8th March 2018 at 22:39.

Sky Q - worth upgrading from HD?

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post

You can’t even start a recording where you want on Q. Only from the beginning. So if you’d recorded an hour long show and wanted to see the last 10 mins, you’d have to press play and then tediously fast forward through 50 mins........ (You can voice command this on the 2TB box but not the 1TB)

Other than all that, it was fab.
    You can . Instead of press forward , you press right right button which allows you to go exactly where you want . Appreciate this isn’t much use to you now but could be to others.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    You can . Instead of press forward , you press right right button which allows you to go exactly where you want . Appreciate this isn’t much use to you now but could be to others.
    One thing I don’t like about Q.
    can you delete all the deleted folder at once like you
    Can on hd+ ?

You can delete entire episodes. Eg my daughter has loads of cartoons on series links which are aired daily so can quickly build up. You can delete the entire collection of Peppa pig etc in one go. Not sure about deleting every recording in one go. Will check if that’s what you mean?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Did it a few months ago and had some networking issues which sorted themselves out.

The advantage is that if you have mini-boxes, you can watch different channels/recordings at the same time.

I used to get caught by SWMBO after watching the first free 10 minutes of "the horny housewives channel" after she'd gone to bed, only to find she'd turned the TV on upstairs, which was linked to the downstairs box by a long HDMI cable.

No such problems now though :-)
    sky channel number ?

Master
    Not sure, just flick through until you find an unscrambled one 👍

You can delete entire episodes. Eg my daughter has loads of cartoons on series links which are aired daily so can quickly build up. You can delete the entire collection of Peppa pig etc in one go. Not sure about deleting every recording in one go. Will check if that’s what you mean?
    Yeah that’s it pal. I have to delete it all individually

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    In our house you can see and hear the lounge TV from the kitchen and visa versa. We used to always have both TVs playing the same thing which was fab. You can’t do that on Q which was something I didn’t realise.
    This also happens if you have a mix of Freeview HD and SD TV's. One the odd occasion we have the same program on in our lounge (Freeview HD) and in our kitchen (Freeview SD) the kitchen is always around a second ahead of the lounge. I assume this is down to the longer processing time for the HD signal.

As for Sky Q, we generally like it. We don't (yet) have a mini-box so haven't suffered the Wi-Fi issues and box crashes that some have reported. Coming from Sky+ I do miss the ability to view the list of recordings and control the playback from the Sky Q app, which seems to be only enabled if you pay the £12 multiscreen charge. As we don't currently have a 4K TV or a need for a mini-box, £12 seems a bit steep just to enable a part of the app which should be available to all IMO.

I just need to convince the wife that F1 in UHD will be worth a new TV and an extra £12 per month...

All interesting comment so far gents.
    I think I have ‘the boss’ onside for an upgrade

How much 4K/UHD content is actually on Sky?
    I know that they do F1 and a few football games (both suit me), and I gather some films?
    Much else?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    All interesting comment so far gents.
    I think I have ‘the boss’ onside for an upgrade

How much 4K/UHD content is actually on Sky?
    I know that they do F1 and a few football games (both suit me), and I gather some films?
    Much else?
    Footy and films only I think.
    And a few sky dramas. Brtitannia was uhd
    Quite good
    I’ve also noticed now some of the film are
    Dolby sound as well

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Footy and films only I think.
    And a few sky dramas. Brtitannia was uhd
    Quite good
    I’ve also noticed now some of the film are
    Dolby sound as well
    Thanks again for your input on this thread A great help.

Master
    They offered me the Q2 when I threatened to cancel last week
    I use the RF2 to supply our room and the kitchen and the girls share a second hd box - I don’t think I’d be able to do unless I had multiple mini boxes - I declined and now waiting for the termination- I suppose I could get a splitter and run a couple of long hdmi cables to the kitchen and bedroom but not sure what I’d do for the girls rooms as the minis have no rf out

Got for it, but don't pay those prices. I got the SkyQ Silver (2TB) and a minibox installed for £89 all-in, although it took nearly 45 minutes on the phone with them to get to that price.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Got for it, but don't pay those prices. I got the SkyQ Silver (2TB) and a minibox installed for £89 all-in, although it took nearly 45 minutes on the phone with them to get to that price.
    Sounds like a challenge Rob

How long have you been with Sky?

I got the box/install for free via VIP on the app (15+ yrs subscriber). Pay the £12 for one mini box though

Master
    Got ours free nearly 12 mths ago. Had a load of issues with it at first (some of which were down to our poor wi-fi) but very stable now as been through a few software upgrades. Whole home wi-fi has also helped.
    Q2 box and two minis and very happy with it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Got ours free nearly 12 mths ago. Had a load of issues with it at first (some of which were down to our poor wi-fi) but very stable now as been through a few software upgrades. Whole home wi-fi has also helped.
    Q2 box and two minis and very happy with it.
    Did you pay for a second mini?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Did you pay for a second mini?
    Just found invoice and yes there was a one off charge for a mini at £99

Following Rob’s encouragement I phoned Sky to try and better the deal in my OP

2TB Sky Q Box £30
    Mini Box £50
    Free installation

Then the icing on the cake, they reduced my Sky Sports subscription by £7.50 a month.

Installation a week today

Will the TV arrive first?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    A little late to this thread, but I got it a short while ago.

I bought it purely to be able to watch the rugby in the conservatory whilst Mrs RJM can watch dross like Emmerdale in the lounge.

I’ve got the skyQ app on my phone, which as well as watch stuff and cop onto here, I can use the planner and set recordings.

My son can also watch on his Xbox 1 in his room however he can’t watch recordings, but live is fine.

Master
    The only thing I dont like about it is that you can only watch 2 other boxes at the same time. We have it in 3 other rooms so sometimes you have to fight as to who will get to watch stuff in their bedrooms. Other than that it is superior in every way, I would not go back again!

Got it a few months back, but just use the one box.

Generally I like it – much quicker & less buggy than the old SkyHD box; allows more recording of multiple programmes at once; acts as a wi-fi booster; plus the YouTube & Vevo Apps are useful.

However, the interface takes a little while to become accustomed to, and isn’t quite as intuitive as the previous system – the wife refuses to get along with it. Seem harder to delete multiple episodes, the series-link actions are cumbersome & it likes to randomly record programmes it thinks I’ll like.

I badgered Sky into reducing my monthly bill from £65 to £45 (inc. line rental, phone & broadband, but no sports/films), plus the new Sky Q box, a new Sky dish, a new wi-fi router, plus upgrade to Sky Fibre broadband – all for a one-off £20 admin fee & free installation. I was on the phone for ages though.

Craftsman
    It's ok imo but probably not worth the upgrade. The best thing about it is the controller - blutooth connection and voice search are great.

I pay £45 all in, fixed for 2 years, for every channel (except BT Sport) and no internet

2TB Sky Q Box £30
    Mini Box £50
    Free installation

Then the icing on the cake, they reduced my Sky Sports subscription by £7.50 a month.

You won! Great result, that's about as good as I think you can get from Sky, unless you've been a customer since day-one and spend huge money with them! Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    You won! Great result, that's about as good as I think you can get from Sky, unless you've been a customer since day-one and spend huge money with them! Well done.
    I got mine for free and am on a 60% per month discounted rate so my spend is low. I have been with Sky for 15yrs though

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Yeah that’s it pal. I have to delete it all individually
    To do this you go in the Disk Management. Much quicker. Annoyingly you can't do it from the recordings tab.

We love it.

Only criticisms are that although the interface is generally much better than the old system, there’s the odd step backward eg starting where you left off is more cumbersome.

The other is that it works great, until it doesn’t. I’m sure it’s the vagaries of using a WiFi mesh based system - it’ll run flawlessly for months, then one day everything screws-up. It then involves an interminable amount of resetting boxes, routers etc until everything is linked up again - then everything’s fine for a few more months.

Drives me mad, but since it only happens occasionally, I can live with it.

I believe that the last big Sky upgrade before Q was 2001, so that has had many years of tweaks and fixes. Hopefully Q will become more stable, and with more people, like myself, being drawn in by the lower cost, Q appears to be taking off rather well.

To do this you go in the Disk Management. Much quicker. Annoyingly you can't do it from the recordings tab.
    Great cheers. Very handy to know if you’ve got 122 programs to delete

As a man with a Sky Q box clogged with approximately 4,738 combined recordings of 'Peppa Pig' & 'In The Night Garden', I'll also offer my thanks for this advice.

Blog Entries
    They offered me the Q2 when I threatened to cancel last week
    I use the RF2 to supply our room and the kitchen and the girls share a second hd box - I don’t think I’d be able to do unless I had multiple mini boxes - I declined and now waiting for the termination- I suppose I could get a splitter and run a couple of long hdmi cables to the kitchen and bedroom but not sure what I’d do for the girls rooms as the minis have no rf out
    Try one of these?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222866335946

Blog Entries

2TB Sky Q Box £30
    Mini Box £50
    Free installation

2TB Sky Q Box £0
    Mini Box £0
    2nd mini box £99
    Free installation

Sky sports was £20 for 18 months though... no budging on that one :-(

Broadband and line rental to BT - free BT sports for 6 months and £95 cahback on £29.99 infinity one deal was pretty awesome! Only £9.99 connection fee

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Not sure how this would help
    Did they call you with the deal?

Blog Entries
    Not sure how this would help
    Did they call you with the deal?
    If it has that output, this converts it to RF2 (which you need for the magic eye set up)

I took the advice above and added VIP and called through using that number (no idea if that makes any difference?)

All in all, happy with the deal I got…. The kit was cheap and I got the full works for £62 fixed for 18 months (no broadband or line rental)
    Last edited by Wolfie; 17th March 2018 at 17:11.

Blog Entries
    I hear that they are embedding Netflix in the Sky Q set up, which will be nice

Blog Entries
    Getting it installed next week my main reason is the lack of need for cabling to extra boxes in our new property

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    If it has that output, this converts it to RF2 (which you need for the magic eye set up)

I took the advice above and added VIP and called through using that number (no idea if that makes any difference?)

All in all, happy with the deal I got…. The kit was cheap and I got the full works for £62 fixed for 18 months (no broadband or line rental)
    Q has no rf output only hdmi