closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Titanium

Craftsman

Titanium

Need some advise, I wear a tag link to work which has served me well but fancy a change, I'm looking at a Tudor peligos which is obviously titanium.
    My question is how does titanium hold up to scratches compared to steel?

The brushed finish does mark a bit more that standard SS but it can be re brushed with a fibreglass finishing pen or pad. Minor marks do disappear with Ti as the oxidation occurs quite rapidly so it appears to self heal. I have a Pelagos and find the SS clasp picks up marks more than the rest of the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The brushed finish does mark a bit more that standard SS but it can be re brushed with a fibreglass finishing pen or pad. Minor marks do disappear with Ti as the oxidation occurs quite rapidly so it appears to self heal. I have a Pelagos and find the SS clasp picks up marks more than the rest of the watch.
    I had a Pelagos for a while - thought the clasp was Ti. You live and learn.

Nope it is SS and does tend to suffer from desk diving marks, unlike the rest of the watch the clasp is difficult to refinish, by his I mean give it a light once over with the refinishing pad to get rid of the more prominent marks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Cheers for info, I'm ok if it's about the same as steel was afraid I could trash it within months.

I had a Pelagos until recently, and the truth is that it did pick up some marks on the titanium case in almost two years of regular wear. Never tried refinishing it and sold it as is.

However the part that got scratched the most was actually the SS caseback: the SS clasp would rub against it when the watch was off my wrist, and I ended up with some bad scratching on the back.

I would say that’s one area to watch out for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ml.williams View Post
    Cheers for info, I'm ok if it's about the same as steel was afraid I could trash it within months.
    I have several Ti watches including an Aerospace which has probably been my most-worn watch and one that I'm least protective of. Looking over it now, the case and bezel are in fantastic condition still, and the bracelet and clasp have many hairline scratches and small scuffs but nothing major. I honestly don't think you have too much to worry about unless you're particularly hard on your watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I have several Ti watches including an Aerospace which has probably been my most-worn watch and one that I'm least protective of. Looking over it now, the case and bezel are in fantastic condition still, and the bracelet and clasp have many hairline scratches and small scuffs but nothing major. I honestly don't think you have too much to worry about unless you're particularly hard on your watches.
    Thank you for your info, it has made my mind up to go for one, my Mrs will pick one up duty free friday.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    I had a Pelagos until recently, and the truth is that it did pick up some marks on the titanium case in almost two years of regular wear. Never tried refinishing it and sold it as is.

However the part that got scratched the most was actually the SS caseback: the SS clasp would rub against it when the watch was off my wrist, and I ended up with some bad scratching on the back.

I would say that’s one area to watch out for.

I've noticed that on some other watches that I've bought secondhand, I'm very carefull with any watch when not wearing it, thanks for your comments.

Master
    Blog Entries

Depends on the Ti grade and temper

Depends on the Ti grade and temper.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    Was just about to chime in with the same comment and follow up with previous experience of cheaper brands such as Tissot and Citizen that could have put me off Ti for life!

Had a Pelagos for a short while and always feared the chamfered edges would be prone to dinks. Never kept it long enough to find out, but others I've seen for sale have picked up damage in this area.
    If you're worried about condition, this should be a consideration as it would be very hard to refinish the chamfers.

Craftsman
    Is it not also lighter? - which could be a blessing?

Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    Is it not also lighter? - which could be a blessing?
    To be honest the Pelagos is quite heavy for a Ti watch.
    The steel case back and clasp increases the weight a bit.

Craftsman
    I actually prefer a heftier watch than a lighter watch. But the pelagos will unfortunately never fit my puny wrists :(

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I found the Tudor and Omega Ti watches mark really easily!

Where as my ROO 44Ti after ten months was mark free, even the tang buckle was spotless.

So as Bry mentioned above it’s down to the grade

I don't know what type my Seiko Landmaster SBDW005 is made from, but even under a loupe, there isn't a mark on it.
    In this respect it appears to be the equal of Damasco, but lighter and more comfortable.

Master
    I’ve had a Pelagos for 4 years now and it’s still in great shape. It was my daily wearer for a good couple of years too.

My Ti Aquatimer (pics on sc) has held up very well
    sort of self heals as it oxidises over, or so I believe.

Check the Pelagos case edges. They're so sharp you could shave with it.

Indeed. My grade 5 titanium Sinn T2 remains flawless for example.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Check the Pelagos case edges. They're so sharp you could shave with it.
    The top edges are chamfered (and not even remotely sharp) so it's not like you would ever come into contact with a sharp edge. The back of the case isn't, but neither are most others (the sub is equally as "sharp").
    It's a bloody comfy watch to wear, especially the bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by dobbsie View Post
    The top edges are chamfered (and not even remotely sharp) so it's not like you would ever come into contact with a sharp edge. The back of the case isn't, but neither are most others (the sub is equally as "sharp").
    No, they're sharp. Thats why I've never bought one despite trying many.

Quote Originally Posted by dobbsie View Post
    I can attest that the bottom edge of the case, and the point of the lugs, are sharp. So are the end links for the bracelet and strap.

This gives the watch a precision engineered feel that’s quite impressive. It also means the tolerances on those end links are incredibly tight, making strap changes a real chore.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    I found the Tudor and Omega Ti watches mark really easily!

Where as my ROO 44Ti after ten months was mark free, even the tang buckle was spotless.

So as Bry mentioned above it’s down to the grade
    Any idea what grade of Ti your ROO has, I'm going to have to do some more digging.
    Cheers.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    No, they're sharp. Thats why I've never bought one despite trying many.
    Never even noticed it because, as I rightly said, it's a very comfortable watch. The top edge isn't even remotely sharp.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have to agree on the sharp edges on the pelagos, particularly on the bottom edges. This did concern me when mine arrived but in wearing it i really do not notice them at all.

It's a superbly comfortable watch.

Craftsman
    Having looked through some old threads about Ti ( should have done in the first place) most new watches use grade 5 Ti, but I still have conflicting views on the Tudor pelagos some say it's grade 2Ti and others grade 5Ti. And there are some treatments that harden it further,

My (early ETA) Pelagos has one smear on the top of one lug, and no other marks at all.
    However, it doesn't ever get to be worn on the bracelet.
    I have a few other Ti watches (Sinn EZM1, Tutima Commando II and a few others previously), and I have never noticed that it marks any more or less than other materials, although it is definitely not as tough as the Bremont SS case I have, which is very hard.
    The toughest Titanium I have ever seen was Citizen Duratect (on a Mears tough I had). That shrugged off a very hard life with ease.
    Dave

My Breitling Chrono Avenger, M1 and Seawolf tended to scratch real easily, I belive this is grade 2 titanium. My Planet Ocean Blue Titanium had grade 5 titanium, and indeed it was very scratch resistant. Even more so than stainless steel I believe. It was also polished to a mirror-like finish.

Craftsman
    Grade 5 titanium is what you want, my Omega is holding up really well, even the highly polished sections of bracelet.
    I find Ti far more comfortable on my sensitive eczema prone skin. My other watch is an excellent Ti Lorus for £45 that is thin and fab for under a wet suit.
    I have had several "Ray Mears" duratec Citizens and they have all worn very well. Not a mark in nearly 20 years.

I have the Omega Liquid Metal Planet Ocean Titanium Chronograph which uses Grade 5 Titanium (also called Ti-6Al-4V) and it still looks like new after nearly two years.
    Last edited by shalako; 10th March 2018 at 08:03.

Craftsman
    Hi all

Thanks for you comments and advice, I have done the deal and purchased a Tudor pelagos lhd.

Quote Originally Posted by ml.williams View Post
    Hi all

Thanks for you comments and advice, I have done the deal and purchased a Tudor pelagos lhd.
    Congrats, it’s a great watch. Wear it in good health

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    Congrats, it’s a great watch. Wear it in good health

I agree, I got it to be my daily wearer but it looks to nice to get scratched and in my job it will.