closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Decisions, decisions, decisions

Decisions, decisions, decisions

Narrowed down my next purchase to either an Omega Seamaster (black dial), Breitling Colt auto (black dial) or Tudor Black Bay (red bezel)

It will be bought new and will not be sold (will mark the arrival of my second child)

If you had the choice which would you go for?

If it helps I already have a speedmaster and Seiko diver which I switch between.

Of those three, the TBB. I just think it will age better than the other two.

Journeyman
    My vote would be for the Tudor, it looks great to me. Not a fan of the sea master or Breitling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Based purely on your avatar, it'd have to be the Breitling.

Have you tried them all on yet? Might make your decision a bit easier?

It would be between the Omega and the Tudor for me. I have always liked the BBR and even owned one for 4 days! The new movement is nice but makes it wear just a little thick. I always preferred it on the leather strap so if you were thinking of going that way then it’s a nice choice. The Seamaster is a classic and whilst the latest version isn’t my all time favourite version it has an awful lot going for it and it is the one I would go for. I have owned probably 10 Seamaster, I let them go but always end up with another. I have one now and it’s staying in my small (5 watch collection).

Journeyman
    Tudor gets my vote

Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post
    Have you tried them all on yet? Might make your decision a bit easier?

It would be between the Omega and the Tudor for me. I have always liked the BBR and even owned one for 4 days! The new movement is nice but makes it wear just a little thick. I always preferred it on the leather strap so if you were thinking of going that way then it’s a nice choice. The Seamaster is a classic and whilst the latest version isn’t my all time favourite version it has an awful lot going for it and it is the one I would go for. I have owned probably 10 Seamaster, I let them go but always end up with another. I have one now and it’s staying in my small (5 watch collection).
    Only one I haven't tried is the Tudor. Both the others were great on the wrist. I do like the Seamaster but I'll never have a massive collection of watches and I'm thinking it might be nice to have some brand diversity.

Blog Entries
    Got to be the Seamaster. Instant classic. (blue would be better!)

Seamaster every time.

I have a couple of black bays and a lot of Seamaster's. The snowflake hands are ok for a change, but not an everyday look for me.

I'm sure they are all great watches though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I don't know what it is, but I'm really not a fan of the blue version.

Master
    Hard one this, I feel between the Omega and the Tudor. If it’s a watch that can fit in with absolutely anything I’d go Seamaster as it’s also slim so happily fits under a cufflinked shirt cuff. Looks very good with a suit but also easily dresses down.
    The Tudor is slab sided so appears taller. Having said that I love the Tudor so would probably want one as well. They have a warmth to them I think.
    If I did go Breitling it would be the superocean heritage 42mm. A very striking watch imho The Colt seems over busy with the 24 hour inner markings and even though I own a Breitling I’m not sure I love the rider tabs
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 5th March 2018 at 00:28.

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    I don't know what it is, but I'm really not a fan of the blue version.
    The current black is the pick of the bunch. I prefer it to the Submariner personally.
    It's just a matter of time...

Tudor Black Bay Red. But then, I am a big fan, so I would say that.

Not knowing which Seiko you have, but presuming you have a Moonwatch Speedmaster i.e. black & white, then the TBBR would inject a dose of colour - the red bezel, chocolate brown dial, rose gold hands & marker surrounds, creamy lume & gilt text really all combine beautifully together.

Try before you buy, as others have said. I much prefer the ETA/Rose logo version both aesthetically & because it's not as tall, and there are a few still knocking around in ADs if you look for them. Older stock to be sure, but new watches essentially. So long as you check for display/handling damage, you'd be fine. Allows negotiating potential for decent discount, servicing contribution etc. too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would choose the Tudor.

Craftsman
    I’d put the money you are going to waste on one of three mediocre watches into an account for your new child.

Quote Originally Posted by Danpd View Post
    I’d put the money you are going to waste on one of three mediocre watches into an account for your new child.
    Or stretch the budget a bit and buy a PP?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Danpd View Post
    Trolls are out today!

Best to try on the Black Bay, as that will help you decide whether the height and profile of the BB are more than you are comfortable with for a watch that will be worn on a regular basis. Once you have done that it will make it far easier for you to decide.

A few years ago I decided to buy a BB to mark the birth of our grandson - ended up leaving the AD with the Pelagos instead.

Blog Entries
    I think the Seamaster would complement your Speedmaster nicely. But try the Breitling Colt - I assume you mean the newest version. But either one, buy from Iconic as you could immediately save 20% and it would be brand new. Save the spare money for nappies!

Craftsman

“Mediocre”? Not for the ordinary mortals among us. Someone may have been reading a little too much Aristophanes.
    I didn’t think I liked any of these until last year, when one of my sons asked for a B.B. for Christmas. Actually fondling the thing convinced me that it’s quite impressive, and he loves it. Definitely would get my vote FWIW.

Rolex Oysterquartz (17000) SS beater; Cartier Santos quartz in steel/gold for dress wear; Audemars Piguet Huitième chronograph in yellow gold; Glashütte Original Senator Excellence SS; Glashütte Panoreserve SS, Glashütte Sport Evo Pano, Stowa Flieger. More to come.

My vote for Omega. I did the same for my 30th birthday and it ages beautifully.

Master
    Seamaster would be my pick over the Tudor mainly due to the lug to lug and slab sides making the BBR unsuitable for my wrist shape. The Urban Gentry (like him or loath him) recently did a revisit review of the Seamaster on You Tube which I enjoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    The tudor black bay is my favourite.. if only my wrists had the real estate required to adorn one of those....

Master
    Tudor for me having owned a couple, although now moved onto the Pelagos which I prefer. No substitute for trying it on and going with your favourite though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The current black is the pick of the bunch. I prefer it to the Submariner personally.
    X2

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Definately the Tudor. IMO it will age far better than the other two.

Craftsman
    I'd probably go Tudor if you really must have the red for a touch of colour in your collection.
    The Seamaster would be a good choice too as the black dial,in my opinion,is pretty much a go anywhere watch ie goes ok when dressed up.
    When I was looking at something to buy last year I looked at both watches and preferred the Tudor BB blue to the Seamaster (as an aside I didn't like the blue dialled Seamaster).and having owned a Breitling Colt some time ago it's not a look that would suit me.
    Try them all on and go with what you want.
    Good luck.

I think the OP had come up with 3 very reasonable choices. At that money I would always go Speedy Pro, but the OP wisely has one of those.

I would go the Breitling. Now I’m far from a Breitling fan, but the design is well balanced and contemporary, and I think it will age well.

The Tudor BB is to my eyes both unacceptably retro and too slab-sided. Quality and value are excellent, but I don’t like the design.

The Seamaster is a classic, but as it’s design has been slowly evolving for 20 years, to me it is looking dated. I adore the original 2531.80, but every generational improvement has lost something to me.

To to be contrarian, Breitling Colt!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My choice would be the Seamaster in blue. A classic, I love mine.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    This.

Craftsman
    Tudor , someday it will be a classic and you could pass that on

I'd say Seamaster.

I own a Seamaster 2254 and a Speedmaster. I had a Tudor BB with red bezel but I no longer have it, still got the other two.

I've also got 2 Seiko divers, an SKX007 and a PADI Turtle.

Blog Entries
    Having recently bagged a B.B. Red my vote would be firmly with the Tudor.

It is fantastic watch, perfect size, dial and markers are stunning and the leather combo is just so wearable.

If you went this route you would not be dissapointed.

Pitch

I have the Colt, but in quartz. Ridiculously legible. I had an older smp but thought it was a bit form over function. Breitling is my recommendation.

Seamaster would be my choice, for what it's worth

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Seamaster gmt, because you dont have a gmt watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Seamaster would be my pick over the Tudor mainly due to the lug to lug and slab sides making the BBR unsuitable for my wrist shape. The Urban Gentry (like him or loath him) recently did a revisit review of the Seamaster on You Tube which I enjoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes I've literally just watched that and thought it was excellent.

Black bezel is more versatile but if you already have one then the BBR. I've owned a BBR - it has wrist presence but I sold it in place of a BBN as the black is just more versatile. And that's from someone who already owns a SMPC black. Between the 2? Tudor is stunning but the SMPC is more the all-rounder...suit, jeans or wetsuit.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Some photos if they help...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk