closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TT too flash for office??

Master

TT too flash for office??

I’ve got a Rolex DJ41mm on the shopping list for me next watch, was considering the SS version, but the rose gold TT has really caught my eye. Thing is it too flash for the office? Yes you can say any Rolex is flash but at least SS is more subtle. For context I’m sub 40, work in finance and am not surrounded by any watch enthusiasts at work.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Master
    Unless you have a job where flash attire might put off clients, then what does it matter?

Master
    I think the dial suits two tone, and the bottom one looks a little boring. I wouldn’t really worry about whether it is too flash. You say that there aren’t watch enthusiasts, and if you are a little self conscious, then make sure it is under your cuff

It’s not what you wear, old chap. It’s how you wear it.

Buy what pleases you and sod what anyone else thinks (me included)

No problem.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Unless you have a job where flash attire might put off clients, then what does it matter?
    True, but I also don’t want the boss to think I’m being paid too much!

Journeyman
    Perfectly acceptable for a office based job.

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    I think the TT looks good, if your boss asks, its a knock off.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Sub 40, work in finance, In London? Even a red 930 Turbo isn't too flashy is it? The lovely Rolex should be fine. Get what you are going to enjoy.

Blog Entries
    I don’t think so Micheal. THB I wouldn’t think most people notice watches. I regularly wear my TT YM into the office (finance city - but I’m on the Tech side) and don’t think twice about wearing it.

My boss offered to loan me £12k to buy a watch last week. I politely declined his extraordinarily kind offer.

People spend their money on different things - flash cars, flash watches, flash holidays... I doubt your boss will take your watch into consideration when it comes to salary review time. He’s more concerned with the good work you do.

Master
    What you buy or own doesn't really have that much to do with what he is paying you. Some people have nice watches because they don't spend their salary on holidays, some people have wives who buy them oresents, and so on. And if such a boss did think in such ways, id not want to be working for him.

Journeyman
    I've seen it on wrists in the wild a few times. Is it flash? Probably. The fluted bezel especially catches light and scatters it around liberally so anybody sitting opposite you might have their eye caught by it. Having said that, the only reason I probably noticed from afar is because I wrist-check people for something tasty as a matter of habit. If I didn't know anything about watches I may not have noticed the sparkle much less realise you were wearing a Rolex.

We have a guy at work smelly and wearing clothes he had from highschool and spending all him money on house content and house extensions
    Wear what you like but of someone tells you you get paid good money dont get offended
    Also clients when they see rolexes they think they get charged too much
    I might be wrong

Master
    I was put-off by someone remarking that two-tone was for people who want a gold watch but can't afford one. Stick to steel, it looks nicer and costs less.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I was put-off by someone remarking that two-tone was for people who want a gold watch but can't afford one. Stick to steel, it looks nicer and costs less.
    Who cares what someone else thinks? Didnt seem to stop you buying two tone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Who cares what someone else thinks? Didnt seem to stop you buying two tone.
    +1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    +1
    Agreed !

Master
    Work as a fund manager in Mayfair. Very few nice watches around but I couldn't care less what people think of what I'm wearing. I'd probably draw the line at a solid gold AP ROO or some other flashy monstrosity, but a subtle little TT Rolex would be fine

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you like it, buy it. If anyone questions it, just mention that it costs less then a Ford Fiesta!

Master
    Absolutely nothing to worry about!

Wear what makes you happy and enjoy it. We only live once!

I own quite a few TT watches now, and probably thought I’d never buy one at one stage. Some I just like the look of more than an all gold watch. My TT SM300 for example, I much prefer the look than the full 18k model, or the steel version for that matter. I seem to have a preference for rose gold and steel though, as it suits my skin tone better.

Wear what you like. Trying to second guess what other people think, or whether or not it makes any practical difference is a waste of time.
    It's just a matter of time...

Can I just say randomly I'm glad I've now moved over here permanently from RLT. There isn't a single RWP thread and everything is sensible and interesting. (sorry to select this thread - any would have done). Thanks also (nigel).

Do you let others decide what car , house etc you should live in to?

Who’s gives a rats what others think.

Wear the watch that you want and don't worry what others will think. If you wear it under your shirt cuff no one will see the watch anyway.

Craftsman
    You should absolutely buy it. Recommend you buy used or you will take a bath. Very nice watch and if you can afford, you deserve it. Congrats.

Craftsman
    Might not wear a TT Rolex for a job interview. But, as you are no longer in the business of creating first impressions, I don't think your taste in watches is going to be material to anything.
    If you like it, go for it

What actually happens is that unless you constantly roll up your sleeves and tell people over and over what it is - nobody actually notices.

Craftsman
    It’s quite flash in my opinion. I think it will be noticed and I also dislike it so I’d recommend getting it in steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    What actually happens is that unless you constantly roll up your sleeves and tell people over and over what it is - nobody actually notices.
    Especially if you don't put it on upsidedown..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    It’s quite flash in my opinion. I think it will be noticed and I also dislike it so I’d recommend getting it in steel.

I don’t think it’s flash and I doubt it will get noticed anymore than other watches.

OP if you like it, but it, wear it and enjoy it and sod worrying about what anyone else thinks.

Craftsman
    I can somewhat relate to it, and the question is, do you see clients? How would they feel?
    And the I say that cause that's the only thing I believe you should worry.

Cheers and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I don’t think it’s flash and I doubt it will get noticed anymore than other watches.
    Indeed, people will be wearing much bigger gaudy fashion watches.

I think the Everose flies under the radar compared to yellow gold, but looks lovely...especially with a brown dial.

Master
    Stainless steel sports watches or leather strap for the office in my opinion. two tone for the weekend.

Grand Master
    I like two tone watches, I own a few nice ones including a mint ( yes, mint) 1986 16013 fluted bezel/ jubilee Datejust, a couple of bimetal Constellations, a bimetal Speedmaster, and couple of bimetal Seamaster Pros.

People can remark all they like about not affording gold....yada yada yada.....it’s complete bollocks. Bimetal watches have a unique look, it’s all about the contrasting metals.

For me, a bimetal Datejust needs a white or silver, other colour combinations don’t work as well, too many contrasting finishes/ colours.

Rose gold bimetals look good in pics but not as good on the wrist in my opinion, I had a rose gold/ steel Aqua Terra and never really bonded with it. I let it go and I’ve never missed it.

From the current Rolex range, the 36mm 116203 Datejust ( smooth bezel, Oyster bracelet) with white or silver dial is my favourite. Somehow the classic fluted bezel/ jubilee bracelet combo works far better on the older models.........or maybe it’s just me who sees it that way.

As with all watch choices, it’s up to the individual. Worth hearing the views of others but the opinion that counts is your own.

Paul

It's a tasteful looking watch, but the truth is, 99% of people will either not notice or not care.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't like all-gold at all and normally not a fan of TT either but I think that looks lovely with everose/chocolate.

I think it will be very sparkly with the fluted bezel and perhaps I wouldn't wear it to client facing meetings but you know your clients (if any) better than we do.

Master
    I’m leaning towards the SS model as I think I’ll just be too self conscious wearing it in the office. I think if I went for TT I’d probably only wear it on the weekend and for me that is too much money to only wear 2 days a week.

I think of those two watches I'd buy the steel one. I like the DJ in steel best. If I wanted full 18k then I'd get a DD.

If I wanted TT in an Oyster I'd buy a professional model.

Blog Entries
    Get the yellow and on a Jubilee! Go bold or go home!! If you're worried about being too flash get a Vostok.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Get the yellow and on a Jubilee! Go bold or go home!! If you're worried about being too flash get a Vostok.
    Agreed (although not necessarily with the Vostok bit!).

If you're this worried about what they think, then you just won't enjoy wearing it.

Might Sir/Madam be tempted by the stealth of the older branded Grand Seikos?

Grand Master
    I’m leaning towards the SS model as I think I’ll just be too self conscious wearing it in the office. I think if I went for TT I’d probably only wear it on the weekend and for me that is too much money to only wear 2 days a week.
    If you like it, buy it..........tell your colleages to get f***d if they make any negative comments.....it’ll shut them up!

I can think of a few good reasons not to buy a watch, but being worried about what my workmates think isn’t one of them.

Paul

Blog Entries
    You could go white gold bezel. I rather like the blue dial myself! Do get one YOU would feel comfortable with.

All the best

martyn.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th March 2018 at 07:57.

Craftsman

TT too flash for office??

My preference would be the TT and as most say, you only live once! Who cares what others think? Go for what you like rather than what you think will be accepted in the office.

Journeyman
    I would say that you should go for it. No one will notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    I think it also depends on the type of watches others wear in the same office .

they could be wearing even flashier watches and you would fit in with your 2 tone ,
    however they may not be watch snobs and wear low key steel ones in which case you
    might draw attention to yourself with a gold steel watch

all your choice of course

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If you like it, buy it..........tell your colleages to get f***d if they make any negative comments.....it’ll shut them up!

I can think of a few good reasons not to buy a watch, but being worried about what my workmates think isn’t one of them.

Paul
    Is that because you are retired? ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    I think it also depends on the type of watches others wear in the same office .

they could be wearing even flashier watches and you would fit in with your 2 tone ,
    however they may not be watch snobs and wear low key steel ones in which case you
    might draw attention to yourself with a gold steel watch

all your choice of course
    do you really care what other watches people wear in your office? Call me an old git but I don’t care a flying fig what others wear and I suspect others don’t care what you wear, Micheal.

Apprentice
    JFDI - I bought my daughter (23) a mid sized date just and she gets the odd comment at work ......

.... her 'give a shit meter' never flickers !!

Buy the one 'you' want and wear it with pride