TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I am intrigued by this >

Blog Entries

I am intrigued by this >

Zenith Defy 21.

Martyn.

Master
    A work of art. Is it a current model?

Clearly great craftsmanship, but I can't help feeling the hands are a little lost in all that. How easy would it be to read in real life situations.

I like that as an object but as a watch it fails (at least in that picture) the time test.

Craftsman

Zenith

I am just as intrigued by the zenith cronometro LE edition for watches of Switzerland.

Seems now that every dealership is getting in on the LE act.

Master
    The movement on these is truly something special.

https://youtu.be/xWh0p9Irznw

The Defy Lab is the one for me. Although I am not the one of ten for it, so I'll have to wait for them to release a model that the great unwashed such as myself are allowed to purchase

If I may be so presumptuous...
    Don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket.
    If you have had your heart set on the watch in your other thread do not be distracted. You will only regret it later. That said I actually like it and if money were no object (depreciation) I would take it over an Aquanaut always.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    A work of art. Is it a current model?
    It is. Just last year. It has two barrels one for the Chrono one for the time. The Chrono can measure to 1/100th sec as the Chrono second hand spins at 1sec per revolution. The main movement beat is 5hz.

Craftsman
    I like the looks of that.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    I love the blue on bracelet. I have something else in the pipeline but if it doesn’t come off I think the below watch will be next.

I also tried one on in WofS only last week and it is a big watch. It was the basic version on leather. I do like the bracelet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    I love the blue on bracelet. I have something else in the pipeline but if it doesn’t come off I think the below watch will be next.

I also tried one on in WofS only last week and it is a big watch. It was the basic version on leather. I do like the bracelet though.

Lush. Hope it’s 40 - 41mm, probably isn’t.

The chrono counts up to 60 mins, but the power reserve when running the chrono only runs for 50 mins due to the energy required to power it. Blimey that's some oomph!

Quote Originally Posted by PMPM View Post
    44mm case, but it looks to have pretty short lugs. Can't find all the dimensions of it online though, but hopefully someone knows what the lug to lug height is.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 3rd March 2018 at 04:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    It is. Just last year. It has two barrels one for the Chrono one for the time. The Chrono can measure to 1/100th sec as the Chrono second hand spins at 1sec per revolution. The main movement beat is 5hz.
    Very nice. Thank you for the info.

I like that blue one a lot. Some of these high-end movements are so good they deserve to be on display. Not so sure of the case shape and bezel (maybe it's just the bezel) but I think it can be added to the very small list of new watches I'd like.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PMPM View Post
    Exactly my first thought. Was gutted when I found it to be 44. I don't like to wear bigger than 42.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Exactly my first thought. Was gutted when I found it to be 44. I don't like to wear bigger than 42.
    That's what I always thought but then there are some watches that sneak past that rule because they wear differently. I'm currently wearing a new Seiko Turtle but it feels closer to 42mm than 45mm.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Here are a couple more photos. It is a big watch and in my opinion not for a dress cuff so more jeans etc (I was cuff when I tried it in). It also doesn’t weigh very much due to the titanium case which throws you a bit given the size.

WofS in Regents street only had one in the phots to try, no skeleton version, and the sales lady wasn’t convinced she would get get any in at at to try, certainly not for the foreseeable. Anyone that wants one it’s worth trying for size and then get one on line where it’s cheaper.

Sorry for the poor quality pics. It has real presence on the wrist and it’s a statement piece. Also c’mon who doesn’t want to watch that hand spinning round once every second!

Fred

Blog Entries
    Resurrecting this thread from earlier this year - As I have been able to source a good example of the Zenith Defy 21 from a reputable source and after a cabinet reshuffle over the last few days I have been able to secure it.

Should be landing tomorrow if all goes to plan! Rather exited!

It is not the fully blue version but is the one pictured at the top of this page and on strap. I have tried the bracelet version but find the substantial strap suits my wrist better with the short lugs on the Defy meaning it fits within my wrist width.

I'll post some real world pics in due course.

Martyn

Master
    Lovely watch but looks a pig to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Lovely watch but looks a pig to read.
    There are zillions of easier to read watches out there but really don’t think that’s the point.
    I personally think spending those extra moments to read the time and seeing that gorgeous movement is all part of the pleasure in owning this watch.
    Besides the OP has a collection of other watches when being able to read the time instantly is ‘life or death’.
    I hope I can add one to the collection at some point.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    There are zillions of easier to read watches out there but really don’t think that’s the point.
    I personally think spending those extra moments to read the time and seeing that gorgeous movement is all part of the pleasure in owning this watch.
    Besides the OP has a collection of other watches when being able to read the time instantly is ‘life or death’.
    I hope I can add one to the collection at some point.....
    I do wonder if illegibility is a deliberate design choice in some watches. A PP World Timer springs to mind that can require 2-3 secs close attention before the hands can be distinguished from the background.

Horses for courses. I'd rather not have the watch force me to spend 'those extra moments' to admire it each and every time. That would rapidly become a pain in the @rse.

Blog Entries
    One movement at 3,600vph the other runs at 36,000vph - I am getting it as an appreciation of horology - if I can tell the time that will be a bonus

Craftsman

El Primero 21

I bought this watch( top pic ) but as its a christmas gift from my wife then it wont be getting worn till the 25th. It does wear smaller due to the lugs. I have it on the titanium bracelet which if fantastic but just wish it had a micro adjust- i also got the leather strap thrown in as part of the deal . Its more a piece of jewelry than a watch.
    Last edited by markyboy.1967; 4th December 2018 at 12:48.

I hope yours doesn't have a fibre trapped in the lume of the hour hand like the one pictured!

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I hope yours doesn't have a fibre trapped in the lume of the hour hand like the one pictured!
    Just noticed that, well spotted!

Master
    Resurrecting this thread from earlier this year - As I have been able to source a good example of the Zenith Defy 21 from a reputable source and after a cabinet reshuffle over the last few days I have been able to secure it.

Should be landing tomorrow if all goes to plan! Rather exited!

It is not the fully blue version but is the one pictured at the top of this page and on strap. I have tried the bracelet version but find the substantial strap suits my wrist better with the short lugs on the Defy meaning it fits within my wrist width.

I'll post some real world pics in due course.

Martyn
    EXCELLENT!!!

I had the pleasure of trying one of these in Lisbon a few weeks back and i have to say it blew me away, the quality and finish were/are first class. The chrono is a thing to behold. I thought it wore well for its size, certainly didnt feel like 44mm, in saying that I was wearing a 44mm Pam233.

I look forward to seeing the pics when it arrives.
    Last edited by Nev; 4th December 2018 at 20:10. Reason: crap spelling

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    EXCELLENT!!!

I had the pleasure of trying one of these in Lisbon a few weeks back and i have to say it blew me away, the quality and finish were/are first class. The chrono is a thing to behold. I thought it wore well for its size, certainly didnt feel like 44mm, in saying that I was wearing a 44mm Pam233.

I look forward to seeing the pics when it arrives.
    Cheers. A bit of a sleepless night. And thanks also to Kerry for sorting this deal out!

Blog Entries
    Touch down:

Totally MAD in a good way.

Martyn

Craftsman
    Touch down:

Totally MAD in a good way.

Martyn
    Fantastic, i just need to wait just over 2 weeks till i get to look at mine again.

Journeyman
    👌 really like the detail! Nice watch, enjoy

Stunning and definitely on my wish list, looking forward to the comprehensive review Martyn.

Master
    For me, a watch this hard to read fails the most basic test. Like a car with square wheels. It's simply not a viable design and will fail in the market. And no amount of great technology can overcome that.
    The company seems somehow 'lost' with no clear design vision. Pity with such a history. I like Zenith, but this isn't the way forward.
    Last edited by paskinner; 6th December 2018 at 07:40.