closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patek Nautilus

Craftsman

Patek Nautilus

Does any one else find them plain bordering on ugly? Obviously great innards but visually does nothing for me.
    Horses for courses I guess

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
    Does any one else find them plain bordering on ugly? Obviously great innards but visually does nothing for me.

. When I first discovered them, upon joining this forum, I must say I thought the same. I really didn't see the attraction. Now, though, ok couldn't have a more contrasting opinion. I love the things!

Craftsman

The plain 5711 does sweet FA for me but other variants are just sublime IMHO

Banned
    Blog Entries
    JFO please.

Yes, I am perplexed as to why anyone would look at one and think it looks nice. On every PP thread there'll be someone saying 'gorgeous', 'stunning' or 'beautiful' and I can't help wonder what they're looking at that I'm not. Movements and quality of workmanship, absolutely. Design of watch? Erm...

Having said that I recently saw a car journalist describe a new Volvo as 'stunning'. He was talking about the design. It looked to me like someone was throwing lots of details at it to disguise a rather dull shape.
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries

Eh, no ...thanks newbie for your contribution.

Didn’t we have almost the exact same question last month?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    It's a fair enough question. I meet up with a bunch of TZers on a regular basis and none of us can work out what people see in them.

Agree, I'm completely mystified by much of the PP and AP ranges. To my eyes the Nautilus looks like a relic from the '70s.

But, as you say, horses for courses. There's no right or wrong, just personal taste.

Blog Entries
    I personally find the AP Royal Oak a more attractive watch, doesn't stop me wishing I had bought a nautilus at £14k.
    I do know if I had ,I would have sold it by now and probably made a loss too.
    Not to good at the investment side of this game !

Blog Entries
    They are an acquired taste. A bit like strawberries.

Master
    Perfect for the man who wears Sex Panther. They've done studies, you know.

Last edited by Padders; 2nd March 2018 at 22:33.

Well the prices have already started another correction, so I’m assuming the price rise was affective 1 March?

Master
    They tell the time. Apart from that I have no attraction.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    JFO please.
    Poor form... they've asked a reasonable question... feel free to disagree, but, not to mock

Feel free to have a different opinion to me though

OP... I think they’re ok... but, they don’t wow me...

Craftsman
    I went back and forth on them. I liked them at first sight, then it became a bit plain but am now back in the "i want" camp.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I wonder if it had a less prestigious name on the dial would people still fawn over them?

Craftsman

Status

It is certainly a watch which carries a lot of wealth status attachment and that can sometimes gloss over the looks. Just ask any man with the gorgeous women half his age on their arm.

Skyman and MFB, once had small counts and now they mock the new members with once similar small counts but obviously their mocking is insecurity caused by the other small thing in there lives. Maybe they will grow up one day to be a real man.

I like the look of Genta designed or inspired cases and have done for about ten years, so yes I like the Nautilus. Will I ever own a Nautilus? Highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    It is certainly a watch which carries a lot of wealth status attachment and that can sometimes gloss over the looks. Just ask any man with the gorgeous women half his age on their arm.

Skyman and MFB, once had small counts and now they mock the new members with once similar small counts but obviously their mocking is insecurity caused by the other small thing in there lives. Maybe they will grow up one day to be a real man.
    Not really.

Some newer members, and some older for that matter, can’t carry out a search. It’s a bit like not being able to hold your tongue - or maybe torrettes.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ght=Patek+ugly

Master
    The sheer clarity of the dial is quite something, few watches are quite so easy to read. What's more, as a design it is simple and elegant. Nothing flashy or 'bling.' But it also, to me anyway, feels just slightly delicate and lacking in toughness.
    I had one and was content to sell it. But it's a very fine design and truly elegant. Not easy to dismiss.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I wonder if it had a less prestigious name on the dial would people still fawn over them?
    Perhaps not to the same extent Andy, but that prestige has been earned.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Didn’t we have almost the exact same question last month?
    Exactly, what's wrong with using the search function, apart from the fact perhaps that it does little for the post count.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

I am glad you said that, I am not alone in thinking the same.

There are nautili and nautili. The movements may be equally sublime but externally the 5712 is an asymmetrical mess with nothing aesthetically pleasing whatsoever whilst the Travel Time is magnificent and flawless. YMMV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post

Thanks for that ....don't mention my small counts.

I would love a woman half my age !

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    I think its one of those watches where it helps to see one in the flesh and try it on to make a full judgement. I don't see it as a marmite watch like a U boat or Corum bubble watch.

I'm on the fence myself, I'd like to have the available funds to buy one, try it for a while and then sell it on if I didn't bond with it but thats not going to happen.

Does any one else find them plain bordering on ugly? Horses for courses I guess
    You answered your own question, horses for courses.

I love the simplicity of the 5711, and the beauty of the 5726. I'm not a fan of the others in the Nautilus range. [I quite agree, I love the Travel Time ! ]

Master
    nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    nope

Nice

You keeping your 5990?

Craftsman
    I don’t get them either but when I first looked at Panerai I didn’t like them now love them .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I really like the simple 5711, and would happily wear one for sure. The price though is eye watering..can buy a whole new collection of expensive watches for the price of one..so safe to say it’s out of my league!

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    nope

I'd be forever thinking of the new Discovery's rear number plate whenever I looked at that writing and wondering when the dial at the top left is going to sink down to join the other two.

Master
    Genta was a nice sensible chap, the Polerouter is lovely, who possibly took too many drugs at the end of the 1960s. Can’t say I like what happened next at all.

Craftsman
    Luckily for my wallet, my taste is not tickled by any of the "hublot-nauts" from PP, or, come to that, the "octonauts" from AP.

It's a good thing we are all different

Journeyman
    It’s a watch that never really caught my eye until I read more about it on forums. Now I think it’s very nice. Clearly iconic. Odd that no-one seems bothered by the integrated bracelet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve7 View Post
    It’s a watch that never really caught my eye until I read more about it on forums. Now I think it’s very nice. Clearly iconic. Odd that no-one seems bothered by the integrated bracelet.

I think that is one of the attractions. When I have had watches with integrated bracelets in the past, they always feel well put together and a proper part of the watch design

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I am glad you said that, I am not alone in thinking the same.
    Not for me either

Love them. I think the case looks much better in the flesh. I’d love to own one one day .

I do like it, but prefer the AP extra thin with the Blue dial. Similar watches, same designer, but I would give the AP the nod.

Patek Nautilus

It’s my favourite of the Genta lot, and the 5711 with blue dial is a real classic. Don’t like the more complicated ones though; I think they look quite awkward.

I like them a lot

If you don't, buy something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I do like it, but prefer the AP extra thin with the Blue dial. Similar watches, same designer, but I would give the AP the nod.
    Having tried both on, the AP 15202 always felt more 'special'. Can't deny though that the Nautilus is a very, very comfortable watch. Both are insanely expensive regardless for a steel watch!

I'm interested to read that I'm not alone in not enjoying their aesthetics. The look as if they belong in the 70s to me. It's all academic of course, as they're well above what I'd pay for a watch.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

The thing with the 5711 it was designed as a three hander and anything else shoved on to the dial looks like an afterthought. Years ago before I discovered watch forums, I very nearly bought a 5711R but was persuaded not to buy on advice from an elderly guy in the shop. I was and am still attracted to the 5711 especially the white/silver dial but when it came down to getting a new watch I bought a Yacht-Master instead.

If you're asking whats so special about them OP, try one on. If you like thin watches you'll start to appreciate it. But don't believe all this BS people when people say "...oooh, you must see a Patek under a loupe to appreciate them..." who the hell looks at a watch under a loupe every day? It's on the wrist, tells the time and thats it. Ultimately it's a luxury object that makes the wearer feel warm and gooey inside knowing it's expensive. As some justifiably argue, if any other name was on the dial, the 5711 would go unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    As some justifiably argue, if any other name was on the dial, the 5711 would go unnoticed.
    Surely not...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/202124912905

Patek Nautilus

I don’t have any problem with them. In fact I believe they are great looking pieces and applaud Patek for sticking to this design. On the other hand, I don’t get the attraction to AP, save the ultra thin I just don’t feel them if much at all. I know they are both Genta spin offs.

My caveat with these is mostly their seemingly delicate movements and sky high servicing prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    I don’t have any problem with them. In fact I believe they are great looking pieces and applaud Patek for sticking to this design. On the other hand, I don’t get the attraction to AP, save the ultra thin I just don’t feel them if much at all. I know they are both Genta spin offs.

My caveat with these is mostly their seemingly delicate movements and sky high servicing prices.
    Comparatively light servicing on a 3 hander.

5k Rolex - £500
    20k Patek - under £1000

Plus the Patek boutique included my first service for free, and gave a few other goodies with my purchase.

Craftsman

Half your age.

Thanks for that ....don't mention my small counts.

I would love a woman half my age !

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    To secure that pretty young thing, just get a Nautilus on your wrist or go for a bit of full on Rolex flash, make sure it is nicely visible to all and before you can say Daytona, one young Russian bride!

The bracelet on the PP always reminds me of the Longines conquest models in the early 90’s.

Iconic design. Supremely comfortable and elegant. Maybe one has to be a member of the cognoscenti to appreciate it 😃