closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well - not sure what to do now: sorted

Mmm, I think if it's the watch you want (which you clearly do) then I'd wait the relatively short time for the spanking serviced item to come back.

On a separate note, can you still get those nice dark green rubbers for these or have they been discontinued?

Blog Entries
    Update today. I had a call from Mark Blowers this morning. The 5176A is off to an independent level 3 trained Patek guy for inspection where it should get priority treatment. Hopefully it should be a simple fix, and so the watch should be soon back with me, after a full wrt and test with no quibble full money back in 12 months if any further issue. Should be a bit more off the price too.

So turn around should be much quicker than off to Patek Service Centre. It may even be back in my grubby hands in one or two weeks.

Nb: I see a dark green rubber version for sale so I assume you can still order those? Have you checked your AD?

Martyn

Master
    Why did I suspect it wouldn't be sent back to Patek....Blowers aren't going to pay for that.
    Which do you think more valuable, an inspection and service by Patek, with their service guarantee, or a service by Blowers guy, with their guarantee?
    As best I can tell, the only authorised service centre in the UK is Patek itself.
    Last edited by paskinner; 5th March 2018 at 12:53.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Why did I suspect it wouldn't be sent back to Patek....Blowers aren't going to pay for that.
    Which do you think more valuable, an inspection and service by Patek, with their service guarantee, or a service by Blowers guy, with their guarantee?
    As best I can tell, the only authorised service centre in the UK is Patek itself.
    Pete. Kinda have to agree. I’m getting cold feet about the whole deal with Blowers since it’s not being sent back to Patek themselves.

On the upside I have sourced another one from your other favourite reseller over the weeekend and it should be available for viewing tomorrow.

I think I might be uneasy with Blowers one if it broke in transit from Hull to London even if it is an easy fix.

I assumed it was going back to Patek for a thorough check...

The niggle would never leave me that it was just botched on its way over the first time hence the issue, and then botched again to fix it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I assumed it was going back to Patek for a thorough check...

The niggle would never leave me that it was just botched on its way over the first time hence the issue, and then botched again to fix it
    Yeh - me too! That’s what the sales manager said on Friday then I found out today it was going to their ‘partner’ repairman - level 4 trainee no less.

Another reason not to deal with that company.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Your post #20 said it was going back to Patek, seems that is now no longer the case.

Did you misunderstand the situation?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Your post #20 said it was going back to Patek, seems that is now no longer the case.

Did you misunderstand the situation?
    No. See #56

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    No. See #56
    Ah, so they changed their plan of resolution?

Master
    This whole tale fills me with dismay and shows the absurdity of this watch-collecting passion.

For an amount of money that would almost buy you a house in some parts of Britain, and certainly a decent car, you should expect peerless service, both from the watch and the supplier. I've never taken a liking to these PP watches, but even if it was my holiest of grails, I would insist on a full and unconditional refund and just walk away. After all, if you are not purchasing reliability, durability and superb quality control for your £17 grand, what is the point of splashing this much money on a trinket?

Like losing virginity and unfaithful wives, trust is only lost once and I would struggle to maintain any enthusiasm for the watch (or the supplier) after this tale.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    This whole tale fills me with dismay and shows the absurdity of this watch-collecting passion.

For an amount of money that would almost buy you a house in some parts of Britain, and certainly a decent car, you should expect peerless service, both from the watch and the supplier. I've never taken a liking to these PP watches, but even if it was my holiest of grails, I would insist on a full and unconditional refund and just walk away. After all, if you are not purchasing reliability, durability and superb quality control for your £17 grand, what is the point of splashing this much money on a trinket?

Like losing virginity and unfaithful wives, trust is only lost once and I would struggle to maintain any enthusiasm for the watch (or the supplier) after this tale.
    £16K for a house? Anyway. Your sentiments are echoed. This particular Aquanaut is not getting bought by me. I still have faith in the 5167A model though.

M

£16K for a house?
    This one looks nice enough...

Seriously though, £16k is a lot of dough for any watch, not least one that has been kicked up and down the stock room* then sent to a second rate repairer. You are making the right choice by walking away.

*Potentially
    Last edited by -Ally-; 5th March 2018 at 20:28.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Do it properly. Buy from an AD, having waited on their list for an appropriate time relative to your status with them and PP.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Do it properly. Buy from an AD, having waited on their list for an appropriate time relative to your status with them and PP.
    This ^^^

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    I have tried, honestly, but local ones have closed their lists - even the one I bought my 5146J from, many years ago, and have 5yr waiting. They will not take my name. My life circumstances will have changed in that time (as will the retail price!).

Wish I could though

M

Craftsman

Patek service

Yeh - me too! That’s what the sales manager said on Friday then I found out today it was going to their ‘partner’ repairman - level 4 trainee no less.

Obviously a full service from Patek would impact on their profit margin and walking away from what they are offering as a fix is your best course of action. Unfortunately someone else will get taken in by Blowers on this and may never find out that there was an issue.

The more dealings you hear in regards the second hand market the more it drives you to an AD and a full warranty.

I have tried, honestly, but local ones have closed their lists - even the one I bought my 5146J from, many years ago, and have 5yr waiting. They will not take my name. My life circumstances will have changed in that time (as will the retail price!).

Wish I could though

M
    Kinda poor that history with a 5146 won’t get you on a list, that surprises me a little.

Blog Entries
    I appreciate the Martyn might not want to proceed but why the hate for Blowers.

I have always been very impressed with my dealings with them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post

This is turning into a bit of a saga.

Blowers have stood up to the plate and are now offering to get it serviced by Patek Service centre UK, free of charge.

As a side line - I did go to see an alternate Aquanaut today at WF but rejected it as the date changed at 3am . No real explanation. ‘Yes Sir, it had been fully checked over and tested by our technicians’. No answer to why (the f@ck) it was released with a faulty date change.

So - the Blowers watch IS going to Patek at their cost. I’m looking forward to a factory sealed Aquanaut in a couple months. Let’s hope it works when it is returned!

I must say Blowers have always delivered in their defence.

Martyn.

2/2 with unsaleable faults... what are the odds?

Sorry to hear that. The first is looking more hopeful, but I wonder why the change of heart; did the non-patek-patek-level-3 guy take the back off and see something woeful? At least the manufacture should have it right.

Master
    This is turning into a bit of a saga.

Blowers have stood up to the plate and are now offering to get it serviced by Patek Service centre UK, free of charge.

As a side line - I did go to see an alternate Aquanaut today at WF but rejected it as the date changed at 3am . No real explanation. ‘Yes Sir, it had been fully checked over and tested by our technicians’. No answer to why (the f@ck) it was released with a faulty date change.

So - the Blowers watch IS going to Patek at their cost. I’m looking forward to a factory sealed Aquanaut in a couple months. Let’s hope it works when it is returned!

I must say Blowers have always delivered in their defence.

Martyn.
    Whilst getting others views is important, at the end of the day you'll base choices on your own experiences. If they've always delivered for you and you know that it's getting a full Patek service at their cost with presumably the Patek guarantee then what more can you ask for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I’m sorry, but I would be walking away at this point and looking at another watch. The wind thoroughly blown out of my sails in regards to this piece. However, opinions are like a*#h@les. I admire your focus and hopefully it really does go to Patek UK, and evidence of this is provided.

Dave

Indeed. There seems to be the odd rather bitter keyboard warrior/s here unfortunately. As far as I can see Martyn has reported that the retailer has done everything possible to rectify an issue that was highly unlikely to be of their (Blowers) making and just bad luck all round. Move on, nothing to see here...

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    There seems to be the odd rather bitter keyboard warrior/s here unfortunately.
    Since "keyboard warrior" is a disparaging, dismissive term, is it possible to deploy it in an online context without becoming one oneself?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Since "keyboard warrior" is a disparaging, dismissive term, is it possible to deploy it in an online context without becoming one oneself?

Touche sir.

Or, perhaps, better to call it an observation of a few posters with a rather consistent style/potential axe to grind perhaps?

Master
    Another vote for Blowers.

Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve View Post
    I’m sorry, but I would be walking away at this point and looking at another watch. The wind thoroughly blown out of my sails in regards to this piece. However, opinions are like a*#h@les. I admire your focus and hopefully it really does go to Patek UK, and evidence of this is provided.

Dave
    I admire Martyns dedication.
    Personally I would have walked away at this stage.
    Not trying to say anything negative about Blowers, I don 't know them, but the watch whould have a severely damaged image/feeling to me.

Master
    Not an encouraging tale. I would have walked away, but then I am quite cautious, as for Martyn's experience with Watchfinder....sounds all too familiar.
    I have bought from both Blowers and Watchfinder, but wouldn't do so again. There are better places, in my opinion. In fact waiting for an Aquanaut on SC would be my choice. You'd need patience, but they do come up occasionally.
    It's striking that the two Aquanauts examined both had faults.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Whilst getting others views is important, at the end of the day you'll base choices on your own experiences. If they've always delivered for you and you know that it's getting a full Patek service at their cost with presumably the Patek guarantee then what more can you ask for.
    Exactly so. I am getting a bit tired of others whinging on. I will be waiting patiently for the serviced Aquanaut back from Patek. Let’s draw a close on this topic, at least for a couple of months. I will say that Blowers went above and beyond to keep me happy and I recommend this family business highly.

Martyn.

Craftsman
    Exactly so. I am getting a bit tired of others whinging on. I will be waiting patiently for the serviced Aquanaut back from Patek. Let’s draw a close on this topic, at least for a couple of months. I will say that Blowers went above and beyond to keep me happy and I recommend this family business highly.

Martyn.
    Sorry Sir.
    I don't wish to be contentious, and I have absolutely no axe to grind vis-à-vis Blowers (whom I know not at all), but if I read this thread correctly . . . . . .
    1. you were invited in to the retailer to buy a (not inexpensive at all) watch to find that it had not been treated to a functional test. Maybe I'm missing something, but I would have expected the thing to be running and set to the correct time.
    2. the first offer of rectification was to send the piece to a non-OEM-approved independent watchmaker (rather than to PP). I'd have thought that fine for a 2824-2, but much less so for a PP (and I would have expected the retailer to realise that would be my view).

In my book "above and beyond" seems hardly justified.

Master
    If you start a thread asking opinions, you can hardly complain when you get them. As for people 'whinging', you might see that as people wanting decent service, starting with a £17000 watch which works.
    Anyway, people can make up their own minds. If they see this as service which is 'above and beyond' they will no-doubt favour Blowers. Or not.....free world.
    Last edited by paskinner; 7th March 2018 at 10:36.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Wouldn’t happen with a Rolex ....
    It wouldn't even happen with a Seiko!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a similar thing with a freshly serviced Blancpain so I feel your pain

Did you set the date? If not, as mentioned above, it's possible the dealer cocked up when setting time/date (unless this watch isn't prone to damage that way). I've seen too many salespersons blithely setting date between 7 and 12 without checking whether it's at AM or PM and it's an easy thing to do if you're distracted

Anyway, a serviced watch can't be all bad - it's how it's dealt with that matters :)
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 7th March 2018 at 12:01.

Master

Martyn.
    Good outcome Martyn, you knew my view on the former but this is a much better outcome and one I would be happy with.

As an aside, i have never dealt with Blowers to date but was in my local AD yesterday and they have a very good word of them and that would be good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Sorry Sir.
    I don't wish to be contentious, and I have absolutely no axe to grind vis-à-vis Blowers (whom I know not at all), but if I read this thread correctly . . . . . .
    1. you were invited in to the retailer to buy a (not inexpensive at all) watch to find that it had not been treated to a functional test. Maybe I'm missing something, but I would have expected the thing to be running and set to the correct time.
    2. the first offer of rectification was to send the piece to a non-OEM-approved independent watchmaker (rather than to PP). I'd have thought that fine for a 2824-2, but much less so for a PP (and I would have expected the retailer to realise that would be my view).

In my book "above and beyond" seems hardly justified.
    Usually new Pateks are delivered in a brown cardboard package, sealed and to be opened by the customer.
    No way to check the watch beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Usually new Pateks are delivered in a brown cardboard package, sealed and to be opened by the customer.
    No way to check the watch beforehand.
    Was this a new watch?

Blog Entries
    I don't wish to be contentious....
    No offence, but you’ve been added to my ‘ignore’ list.

I think it's a good outcome for the patient man.

I've been waiting for mine for some time, and I'm still a little excited and looking forward to it.

Getting a newly serviced Patek has got to be better than just getting a used one. Providing the starting point watch is in great condition, which it sounds like it was.

I've nothing but good experiences with Blowers, but I'm sure it all comes down to the particular watch. You can't magic up perfect stock every time, they are used items for the most part.

All the best with the new watch :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    As you say, experiences will vary. So here's mine, from a few years ago. I bought a watch from Blowers...£5000...which they told me had just been serviced. But it kept erratic time, and when I took it to a good watchmaker, it turned out to have low amplitude, the lubrication was bone dry and there was no sign of any recent servicing.
    After a £300 service ,the watch was fine, and I still use it. But I am more wary. Buyer beware is a wise maxim.
    Last edited by paskinner; 7th March 2018 at 13:21.

Craftsman

buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    As you say, experiences will vary. So here's mine, from a few years ago. I bought a watch from Blowers...£5000...which they told me had just been serviced. But it kept erratic time, and when I took it to a good watchmaker, it turned out to have low amplitude, the lubrication was bone dry and there was no sign of any recent servicing.
    After a £300 service ,the watch was fine, and I still use it. But I am more wary. Buyer beware is a wise maxim.
    Agree with the wise maxim from Paskinner.

Bought a vintage sub a few months ago from the pre-owned section of a Authorised Rolex dealer, supposed full in house service top to bottom and in immaculate condition in the description. Arrives in the post, not quite the immaculate condition as described but i go to set the time and the crown with stem comes clean out of the case. Sent it straight back, did not even ask for it to be fixed, straight refund.

Craftsman
    No offence, but you’ve been added to my ‘ignore’ list.
    Gosh!

But if that's the price of holding an (I think rational) opinion, amen.

Oh, and clearly the watch wasn't new -- otherwise it would have gone straight back to Patek under guarantee (rather than to a local watchmaker).

Gosh!

I wish I could remember Georges Kern's quote about emotions and watch purchases

Craftsman

Fair point.

Gosh!

Oh, and clearly the watch wasn't new -- otherwise it would have gone straight back to Patek under guarantee (rather than to a local watchmaker).
    I feel that in all fairness, Yokel made a valid point on how this PP purchase has evolved and with Blowers looking at the potential loss of MartynJC sale did they eventually propose a full PP service to rectify the fault which for a watch that was in their stock, should not have been placed for sale in the first place carrying a fault.

Everyone has a different expectations for any purchase and the quality of the goods or sevices provided, with those expectations voiced on this forum with varied opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post

Sorry to hear that. The first is looking more hopeful, but I wonder why the change of heart; did the non-patek-patek-level-3 guy take the back off and see something woeful? At least the manufacture should have it right.
    Possibly the reason the watches were sold into the trade.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Possibly the reason the watches were sold into the trade.
    Les biscuits cassés

Me too although I have not bought from them for 3 or 4 years