closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samsung S9 thread

Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post
    Have you tried Duo?

It's free and it allows me to "Facetime" from my Galaxy Note 8 to my Wife's iPhone with no problems.

Oh and you don't end up with loads of weird strangers trying to contact you like on Skype!
    I have a while ago and it was very blocky compared to using FaceTime on the same WiFi network.
    That’s the only thing stopping me switching to a top spec android tbh.

Not an S9, but the up-coming HTC U12 quite stylish. They haven't given up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    ... a decent alternative to FaceTime...
    Doesn't WhatsApp offer this?

Genuine question - I don't do much video calling.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just a comment on dual SIM in general.

I have been using dual SIM for a while and in December got the new Huawei mate 10 pro from Vodafone as an upgrade after they confirmed it was dual SIM.
    Problem is, they locked the phone to Vodafone only (both Sims) and then refused to unlock it.

If you are thinking of getting this Samsung as an upgrade then go somewhere like carphone warehouse and not direct to your network operator or you may find the handset locked to one network only.

The mate 10 was returned after a couple of weeks, partly because I could not be bothered to argue with Vodafone any more and party because they had ruined the android os adding crap apps that could not be deleted.

Ulephone power 3 is inbound from Belgium at the moment, dual SIM, top line Samsung cameras, vanilla android and a massive battery at a mere £160 will do for me instead.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Doesn't WhatsApp offer this?

Genuine question - I don't do much video calling.
    Certainly does. As does Messenger (Facebook).

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

What is Android like an an OS these days? I ran it exclusively from 2012-2014, then alongside an iPhone from 2015-2016 (LG G3), then I just stopped bothering as it was so much less reliable than IOS. All batteries degrade over time but it was quite clear some of the firmware updates were wreaking havoc on battery life, causing random freezing, giving small niggly issues like alarms not working through Silent Mode. The OS seemed to wreck the phone at a much faster rate than IOS does (though it still does it following updates).

Can I expect to run a top-end Android and have it not lose 30% of its speed and battery life in the first 12 months? I'm not a particularly uninformed user and in spite of best efforts to keep the phone running lean I ALWAYS encounter niggly issues.

Android has developed so much, its much better than it was. Like all of them there are idiosyncrasies etc and it all depends on your personal pref.

I use dual sim and work is all Google, so Android makes sense.

I've got the S9 up and running and its razor sharp, no lag at all, its a fabulous thing

Anyway had it 3 hours, bored, want Note 9

Huawei P20 will be released end of month. That is the phone to own

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    I've got the S9 up and running and its razor sharp, no lag at all, its a fabulous thing.
    Agreed. Seems... Samsung-like.

Having owned the S7 and S8, they all look similar so it's probably going take me a little while to spot the differences.

Yes, differences are subtle but its lightning fast

The emoji thing is creepy

Early review

Its faster than the S8
    The camera is sensational
    Oreo is smooth
    The display is just faultless, just superb

Antennae and wifi much stronger, can get signals where S8 struggled or got nothing

Is the Plus worth it over the vanilla? I'm thinking in terms of size to lug around, and camera quality.

I think the plus is worth it for the better camera, larger battery and of course bigger screen. It depends on whether the camera is important to you as that is a major factor for me, otherwise I would probably stay with the 9.

Antennae and wifi much stronger, can get signals where S8 struggled or got nothing
    That is interesting and unexpected, reviews vitrtually never talk about signal strength these days. That is a big bonus with the new model.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    It’s the updates that drives me mad about android, Samsung phones are well designed but updates take forever, sort that and a decent alternative to FaceTime and I’m in...
    That's one of my biggest issues with Android, I can cope with delayed feature releases (although that's annoying) but not delayed security fixes or vendors just giving up after 2 years. There are changes afoot in Android that should make it easier for vendors to update it so will be watching this keenly to see how Samsung do with the S9. Google have also now stated they'll give 3 years of updates for the Pixel 2, so things are definitely moving in the right direction.

Master
    Now that the 9 is around I picked up an unlocked dual sim Galaxy 8 the other day from https://www.godualsim.co.uk/

It works both ways, Android can update apps through Google play and lets be honest its not hard ro charge a phone and let Google Play do its stuff.

Apple on the other hand needs full operating system updates all the time, thats far more problematic for ownerd

Craftsman
    It works both ways, Android can update apps through Google play and lets be honest its not hard ro charge a phone and let Google Play do its stuff.

Apple on the other hand needs full operating system updates all the time, thats far more problematic for ownerd

That's not the case with Apple, or anything else, all mobile devices allow updating apps independently of the OS.

There are plenty of security vulnerabilities in the OS itself rather than the apps so it's important to keep both updated. Google are usually pretty quick to release fixes when security issues are announced but vendors struggle to apply them as they tend to customise Android quite a bit so can't just roll out updates, they need to spend time testing and developing them to avoid breaking things. The changes afoot in newer versions of Android aim to make that a lot easier.

Yes, Apple can do that, but they have increasingly rushed full updates that seem to make things worse not better.

Personally i find Android updates much easier

Craftsman
    oneplus 5 - apparently one of the best on battery life, superb camera and dual sim...

IT geek in the office has one and loves it

Craftsman
    This might be of interest, comparison between oneplus5 and s9
    https://www.androidcentral.com/samsu...-vs-oneplus-5t