closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung S9 thread

Samsung S9 thread

Anyone ordered? I've ordered an S9+, says shipping March 8th, I don't know if that's on that day or from that day.
    Anyway, owners unite to discuss Samsung greatness

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Hovering over doing it.

If you pre-order you get it a week earlier (March 8th)
    Ill probably end up getting one, just to try

Camera looks good

Its dual SIM, a must for me, we are still looked at as a funny country everyone with a work phone carrying two phones. Once you go dual sim there's no going back

I hadn't once considered that use for a dual sim, how dim of me. I always thought its primary use was those who travelled regularly between two different countries but of course a work/personal sim makes sense in some ways. Does the phone run two completely different profiles, one for each sim? Just wondering how it would handle something like me wanting to have quick access to private texts/whatsapp whilst it still not interfering with incoming work calls and texts. More research needed on my part!

Yep two profiles. MOTO do it better as their Android skin adds a learning algorithm but Samsung still good. You just set the phone up how you want ie which Sim for work which for home which for data etc and away you go.

When you text you just have a button to switch between the two. Its very easy.

Only one sim is 4g enabled at any one time but the advantage is if you cant get a signal on your main sim it defaults the other ( my work amd personal are different carriers). You can switch data between sims in a jiffy.

We are fully Googled at work, and i have my own drive etc for personal use and again its simple to switch between the two.

So much easier carrying one phone, at weekends i just redirect the work sim straight to answer

Master
    S8 was dire and that's put me of the S9
    So OnePlus5T for me I guess

S8+ a fantastic phone imo

Recently got a S8 and love it. I'll wait for the s10.

OnePlus5 is great, as is Pixel 2, so many great phones out.

The Samsungs lovely things to hold with no case, im a sucker for lovely toy

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    I got the OP5 in the preorder

was a great phone.
    until a couple of weeks later they release the OP5T

gave up on them after that

I've got an S7 but wouldn't mind a change. I've also never realised that you can use the dual SIM as a work and personal phone! I always thought it was for people that travelled a lot

It does what it says on the tin, you stick two sims in and away you go. For my job where i work from a phone its ideal, carrying two phones such a pain in the arse .

Luckily i work for a company that deosnt care, as long as we donwload the work policy app which basically just disables the option to never lock the screen.

With Samsung offering free cloud space to back up your personal profile its a no brainer

Craftsman
    Another here with the S8, I won't be getting the S9, doesn't seem that much of an update from what I've read.

What you read is just someone's opinion on vfm

The screen has improved brightness
    Bezels are slimmer
    Design has improved shock protection and aluminium trims are more tactile
    2gb more ram
    Totally new processor which is significantly faster in early tests and improves battery by 30%
    New camera to compete with Pixel 2
    Totally different operating system
    Animated personal emojis

So different design, better screen, processor camera and 50% more memory

Its £869 and thats really expensive, and to be frank, ive read the new forums and those that cant afford the S9 just say thats not much, those that can just say yeah great latest toy can't wait.

Its a personal thing, but the S8 didn't handle drops very well, these wireless charging phones have glass backs and the S9 has improved shock protection whilst feeling great in the hand. For someone who likes a phone without a case that's a big thing.

Master
    The S9 looks superb  go on lads get one and if anyone has a mint S8 or S8 Plus to sell then please give me a shout as I really want to buy one :)

I haven't had a Samsung phone for a while now so what are the S8 and S8 Plus like and is Touchwiz any better now and is there less bloatware on the S8 as that drives me mad, I prefer stock but I love the Samsung design and I just adore the superb punchy screens they have.
    Last edited by andy armitage; 1st March 2018 at 19:35.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Recently got a S8 and love it. I'll wait for the s10.
    Me too, can't justify over the camera. I do find it a great phone.

Samsung have struck gold with the Galaxy design, they wont mess with it too much . I suspect biometrics, processor and camera will just continually improve, no reason the S10 will be any different.

Anyway i think it may be called Galaxy x

Once you have wireless charging, full sweet of biometrics, lightning processor and a design everyone loves what can they do part from evolve slowly.

When i phone has noag no matter what you throw at it there isnt much to market an 'improvement' at

I always get the latest phone anyway tbh

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    The S9 looks superb  go on lads get one and if anyone has a mint S8 or S8 Plus to sell then please give me a shout as I really want to buy one :)

I haven't had a Samsung phone for a while now so what are the S8 and S8 Plus like and is Touchwiz any better now and is there less bloatware on the S8 as that drives me mad, I prefer stock but I love the Samsung design and I just adore the superb punchy screens they have.
    Few people do stock now but Moto do and i love it. Touchwiz is called Samsung Experience now and ive been on Oreo Beta for a while and bloat is non existent.

I always use Nova anyway

Yes the screen is sensational, i use it on max WQHD and adaptive display and its fabulous

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Why was the S8 dire as that is the phone I am after so it would be good to hear opinions 👍

Its not dire, its one of the best phones ever made

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Few people do stock now but Moto do and i love it. Touchwiz is called Samsung Experience now and ive been on Oreo Beta for a while and bloat is non existent.

I always use Nova anyway

Yes the screen is sensational, i use it on max WQHD and adaptive display and its fabulous

Ahh that's good to know I didn't know it wasn't called Touchwiz anymore, so their software has improved then 😊 I would use Nova but I seriously have no idea how on earth to set it up!

Just Google, you will find no one saying its dire, thats just ridiculous imo although of its qualified I'll debate it

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review...eview-3656725/

Ahh that's good to know I didn't know it wasn't called Touchwiz anymore, so their software has improved then I would use Nova but I seriously have no idea how on earth to set it up!
    Nova a bit fiddly but play with it for 10 mins and you cam work it out

Journeyman
    I've put my name down for the S9 PLUS. I currently have the S8 plus which my better half will take off my hands as her iPhone is playing up. I think this S8 plus is the mutts nuts. I've had Nokia, iPhone and HTC in the past... won't be changing from the Gakaxy any time soon.

Me neither, gotta be brave to use without a case

The pics the testers are taking are outstanding

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...e-think-so-far

Master
    Me neither, gotta be brave to use without a case

Hi Dave I never use a case or a naff screen protector on my phones I just can't bear them and as I am very very careful with them I never have a problem, sounds like you are the same 👍

Hi Dave I never use a case or a naff screen protector on my phones I just can't bear them and as I am very very careful with them I never have a problem, sounds like you are the same
    Lol certainly am, i use a phone wirh eveything on, no case or anything

Paying 800 quid a pop for a phone then sticking it in an ugly case and paring it down to save battery what's that about, its easy to charge a phone on rhe move, ive a battery pack the size of a matchbox.

Screen savers get me, the s8 screen is brilliant and so tactile, covering it seems a sacrilege

I think I will buy an S9+ for the better camera and larger battery. Just need to satisfy myself that the extra size is ok.

Huawei Mate pro 10 for alot less a month.

Quote Originally Posted by miguelh34 View Post
    Huawei Mate pro 10 for alot less a month.
    Superb phone, plenty of choice nowadays

Blog Entries
    Why was the S8 dire as that is the phone I am after so it would be good to hear opinions 
    It's not. I have the S8+ which is the best phone out there currently and it will continue to be until March 8.

Craftsman
    Yes S8+ is a great phone and was a big upgrade on the S7 edge. Better processor and battery being key.

Phones are very personal, why someone would declare a phone rated one of the best ever made is strange, maybe brand loyalty. Its footballesque tribalism. Rush in rush out shouting 'dire ' across the net because you prefer another phone. Need to get a grip

Blog Entries
    I did love my S8 but since picking up a Pixel XL I am having difficulty thinking about a new phone.

I tried the Pixel but just missed the better screens on the Galaxys to much

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vinstink View Post
    Hovering over doing it.

If you pre-order you get it a week earlier (March 8th)
    Ill probably end up getting one, just to try

Camera looks good
    Look forward to seeing it for sale in Sales Corner a week later ;)

I keep wanting to come back and dabble with Android after quite a few years on iPhone but I have numerous issues.. have an Apple Watch which I really like (and of course only works with iPhone) but also the security / patching situation - Apple release updates for like 3-4 years for their handsets whereas even with major players with flagship Android handsets, it seems a real lottery in terms of how long you'll get updates for - which doesn't appeal. Only the Pixel seems to be the safest bet in that respect.

I guess i'll see how the market pans out over the next 12 months or so as my iPhone 7 is still more than up to what I need from a phone.
    Last edited by chicaneuk; 2nd March 2018 at 10:34.

I have the S8 and it's an awesome phone. Can't see the S9 being that much different to warrant an upgrade for me.

Anyone else have screen burn on their S8?

I have it on an app I use regularly causing some burn towards the top of the screen and the 3 virtual buttons are good and burnt in also

Mark

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    I have the S8 and it's an awesome phone. Can't see the S9 being that much different to warrant an upgrade for me.

Anyone else have screen burn on their S8?

I have it on an app I use regularly causing some burn towards the top of the screen and the 3 virtual buttons are good and burnt in also

Mark
    Wow you got screen burn already is that a normal thing!!!!!

Wow you got screen burn already is that a normal thing!!!!!
    I have owned it since release last year but yes I am pretty annoyed

Mark

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    I have owned it since release last year but yes I am pretty annoyed

Mark
    Yiu should be annoyed Mark that isn't right for a phone that expensive surely the warranty will cover that!

Blog Entries
    I tried the Pixel but just missed the better screens on the Galaxys to much

Agreed, the Samsung S8 screen is much better but IMO the native android is a joy to use without Samsung bloatware.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Agreed, the Samsung S8 screen is much better but IMO the native android is a joy to use without Samsung bloatware.

Does the S8 still have a lot of bloatware I thought they had lessened this?
    Last edited by andy armitage; 2nd March 2018 at 20:54.

There are a few apps, you just ignore them

My biggest gripe is notifications on lock screen is perfect on stock Android but Samdung messed with it

Journeyman
    Bixby (and a dedicated button for it too 🤤)

Lol yeah you have to assume they work on that, its to Samsung what iTunes is to Apple

My S9 is turning up next Friday.

@Andy, could be time to buy a new phone instead of something that someone else has energetically viewed the norks thread on.

It’s the updates that drives me mad about android, Samsung phones are well designed but updates take forever, sort that and a decent alternative to FaceTime and I’m in...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    It’s the updates that drives me mad about android, Samsung phones are well designed but updates take forever, sort that and a decent alternative to FaceTime and I’m in...
    The only updates I ever notice on my 7 Edge are the Android security ones that come along every couple of months maybe. You can install them at a suitable time.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    ...and a decent alternative to FaceTime and I’m in...
    Have you tried Duo?

It's free and it allows me to "Facetime" from my Galaxy Note 8 to my Wife's iPhone with no problems.

Oh and you don't end up with loads of weird strangers trying to contact you like on Skype!