closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Ebay Purchase Check

Apprentice

Omega Ebay Purchase Check

Hello, first post for me even though I have been reading the forum for a long time...

I always been reluctant to buy expensive watches on ebay but I actually took the plunge a couple of days ago for a good deal on a classic speedmaster with hesalite crystal, which I look forward to wear!

The seller has a good feedbacks and sold a few pricey watches in the past. Also, the speedy is a couple of months old with all stickers, warranty and a receipts from a well known jewelry chain.

I guess there is very little chance that something is wrong with the watch in terms of authenticity but given that ebay offers a 30 days guarantee, I would think it would make sense to do some verifications before it expires.

I imagine I can call the jewelry store to verify the sale and that an Omega boutique will be able to check the warranty card against the serial number as well as the exterior of the watch.

But what about the internal parts? Is there a way to know if the case has been opened (I believe there used to be a red "seal" dot but it is now discontinued)? And would one of the Omega boutiques in London be willing to check inside the watch, and at what price?

If you have any advice/experience to share it would be much appreciated.

Master
    If you put the link up from the sale you will get a better reply to your question

Grand Master
    If you’re not comfortable buying from ebay without actually inspecting the watch yourself, maybe it wasn’t the right thing to do?

I’ve got plenty of experience with watches but I’d be reluctant to buy a nearly new/modern watch this way unless I was 100% happy with the seller. Thete’s no substitute for actually handling the watch and inspecting everything.

Quote Originally Posted by geror View Post
    Hello, first post for me even though I have been reading the forum for a long time...

I always been reluctant to buy expensive watches on ebay but I actually took the plunge a couple of days ago for a good deal on a classic speedmaster with hesalite crystal, which I look forward to wear!

The seller has a good feedbacks and sold a few pricey watches in the past. Also, the speedy is a couple of months old with all stickers, warranty and a receipts from a well known jewelry chain.

I guess there is very little chance that something is wrong with the watch in terms of authenticity but given that ebay offers a 30 days guarantee, I would think it would make sense to do some verifications before it expires.

I imagine I can call the jewelry store to verify the sale and that an Omega boutique will be able to check the warranty card against the serial number as well as the exterior of the watch.

But what about the internal parts? Is there a way to know if the case has been opened (I believe there used to be a red "seal" dot but it is now discontinued)? And would one of the Omega boutiques in London be willing to check inside the watch, and at what price?

If you have any advice/experience to share it would be much appreciated.

If it's a fixed price size, then you are covered by the The Consumer Rights Act like anywhere else when dealing with a business - that coupled with the protection of using paypal means you are pretty much bullet proof.

Apprentice
    Thanks for your replies. Yes indeed I know that I am pretty much covered in case there is a problem (at least within 30 days), this is the reason I decided to buy, plus the fact that the seller seemed legit.

I was actually wondering how to go about to have the watch inspected for authenticity in London, is that something the Omega boutique would customary do?

Craftsman
    Thanks for your replies. Yes indeed I know that I am pretty much covered in case there is a problem (at least within 30 days), this is the reason I decided to buy, plus the fact that the seller seemed legit.

I was actually wondering how to go about to have the watch inspected for authenticity in London, is that something the Omega boutique would customary do?
    Most jewellers will open the caseback so you can check the movement ?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murilloinf View Post
    Most jewellers will open the caseback so you can check the movement ?

Will they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    Will they?

I have done it twice in the past.. but assuming your user ID, would you care to weight in ?

Grand Master
    Frankly, I doubt whether a jeweller would open the caseback. If a watch has been opened the warranty is affected. Minute tool marks are left on the caseback notches when a watch is opened, these are visible under strong magnification.

An Omega Boutique/AD may have an Omega accredited repairer who is prepared to do this, it's worth asking.

Blowers or Watchfinder may be able to help confirm whether it's OK, but you may have to pretend you're offering it for sale.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murilloinf View Post
    I have done it twice in the past.. but assuming your user ID, would you care to weight in ?

It’s unlikely that a regular jeweller will take the back off, what’s the advantage to them, there can only be disadvantages, even if a small charge is made

Yes, you can argue that the backs come off to change a battery (battery’s are a bit of a necessary evil for jewellers unless you do 100s) but as said in the post above these backs mark very easily and the jeweller is on a hiding to nothing

Just my thoughts on it

Quote Originally Posted by J3w3ll3r View Post
    It’s unlikely that a regular jeweller will take the back off, what’s the advantage to them, there can only be disadvantages, even if a small charge is made

Yes, you can argue that the backs come off to change a battery (battery’s are a bit of a necessary evil for jewellers unless you do 100s) but as said in the post above these backs mark very easily and the jeweller is on a hiding to nothing

Just my thoughts on it

If he’s having to argue that he took the back off a speedy to change the battery, microscopic tool marks might be the least of his worries ;)

Master
    Your best bet is to compare it with one at a retailer. Notice where all the serial nos. are etc. Notice the brushed finish. The feel. The weight. The crown action. Tachymeter markings. Chrono action. I think this should be enough to re-assure you. :-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Taking the back off a watch is not a trivial thing and it is doubtful whether a jeweler would, could or should do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteris View Post
    Taking the back off a watch is not a trivial thing and it is doubtful whether a jeweler would, could or should do that.
    The speedmaster pro has a screw on back so taking it off is indeed a trivial thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    If he’s having to argue that he took the back off a speedy to change the battery, microscopic tool marks might be the least of his worries ;)
    They did quartz Speedmasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    They did quartz Speedmasters.

Touché (and those look superb btw), though I read

[...]classic speedmaster with hesalite crystal[...]
    to mean a hand winder :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    The speedmaster pro has a screw on back so taking it off is indeed a trivial thing.
    It’s not difficult with the right tools and a degree of care, not exactly trivial!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Frankly, I doubt whether a jeweller would open the caseback. If a watch has been opened the warranty is affected. Minute tool marks are left on the caseback notches when a watch is opened, these are visible under strong magnification.

An Omega Boutique/AD may have an Omega accredited repairer who is prepared to do this, it's worth asking.

Blowers or Watchfinder may be able to help confirm whether it's OK, but you may have to pretend you're offering it for sale.
    With some delay, I just wanted to provide a more definite answer for future reference. Omega boutiques with an on site technician (not talking about generic AD) should be able to inspect a movement, it might take a few days and they could charge, or, if you are lucky like I was it can also be done while waiting for free.

Speedie Pros are very hard to fake with working chronograph dials...the subdial spacing gives it away. A bit of Google will show you the signs. It's the movement which is (almost, historically) unique to Omega. If you didn't already know this, my friendly advice would be not to buy on ebay.