closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best android satnav for rerouting for traffic

Master

Best android satnav for rerouting for traffic

My wife has to go in to Southampton on Thursday which is currently a right mess due to one of the main roads being closed.

We both normally use Here (HereWeGo now I think) as out satnav but I've always had slight suspicions about it's reactive rerouting. I've heard very good things about Wayze but never tried it.

Any recommendations for the best Android satnav that will react quickly to traffic with a sensible alternative route.

Cheers

I've heard Waze is good. Google maps navigation uses their input too I believe.

Waze. Also tells you where the speed cameras are, which google doesn't.

Another vote for Waze, it has re-routed me just in time on a few occasions!

Yes, I use Waze too. Spot on

Master
    Never had an issue with google maps, always re-routed me and took me exactly where I needed to go without ending up down a farm lane etc.

Craftsman
    Waze all day everyday, don’t use the in car nav at all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    +1 for Waze!

It took some getting used to after using Google Maps for so long, I wouldn't be without it and it makes you wonder why anyone with a smartphone would bother to buy a dedicated sat nav or go out of their way to spec the option in a new car! I very rarely use the inbuilt navigation in my Skoda Superb.

Master
    Google owns Waze I think?

Never had an issue on iPhone but on android Waze is extremely unstable and crashes every time I use it. For this reason alone I have to stick with Google maps

Google maps or Waze

Waze is brilliant for traffic routing but the maps are sometimes imprecise and you’ll sometimes make the wrong turn or take the wrong exit on a roundabout. But it’s definitely my favourite.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I used to drive to Birmingham and back for work every week, and while I obviously knew the route well, traffic could make a huge difference as to the best way to go on any given day. I therefore tried just about every navigation option available (Tom Tom, Sygic, Copilot, Lexus built-in, BMW built-in, etc), and without any doubt Google Maps was the most up-to-date. I did not have positive experiences with Waze - it appears that while Google Maps benefits from the traffic information gathered by Waze, the (crowd sourced) maps used by Waze are not nearly as comprehensive as those used by Google Maps.

For speed cameras I use the CamerAlert application with the PocketGPSWorld camera database, which is about the most comprehensive available. Also use Velociraptor to show my actual (GPS derived) speed and the speed limit on each road.

Google maps for me, every time....with TomTom free app "Speed cameras" in the background, giving speed camera and "average speed" alert/calculation.

The free tomtom app (very good database) also works well in mainland Europe, so really useful.

Master
    Google Maps, it pulls in the crowdsourced accident info from Waze.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I used to drive to Birmingham and back for work every week, and while I obviously knew the route well, traffic could make a huge difference as to the best way to go on any given day. I therefore tried just about every navigation option available (Tom Tom, Sygic, Copilot, Lexus built-in, BMW built-in, etc), and without any doubt Google Maps was the most up-to-date. I did not have positive experiences with Waze - it appears that while Google Maps benefits from the traffic information gathered by Waze, the (crowd sourced) maps used by Waze are not nearly as comprehensive as those used by Google Maps.

For speed cameras I use the CamerAlert application with the PocketGPSWorld camera database, which is about the most comprehensive available. Also use Velociraptor to show my actual (GPS derived) speed and the speed limit on each road.
    I think they must've upped their game because, try as I might, I simply cannot beat the routes Waze comes up with, the only time my ETA is inaccurate is when I arrive early.

Did a fantastic job of rerouting me around the roadworks on Chelsea Embankment recently, even if it did make me feel like a minicab driver!

Journeyman
    Google maps and Waze for me

Master
    Waze every time for me.

Waze too. Last time I used it Liam Neeson spoke the directions!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    My wife has to go in to Southampton on Thursday which is currently a right mess due to one of the main roads being closed.

We both normally use Here (HereWeGo now I think) as out satnav but I've always had slight suspicions about it's reactive rerouting. I've heard very good things about Wayze but never tried it.

Any recommendations for the best Android satnav that will react quickly to traffic with a sensible alternative route.

Cheers
    Jeremy PM sent, I also use waze, works well for me

Steve

Waze is owned by Google.

Google Maps uses Waze metrics to improve the Maps service, but to what extent I'm not sure.

As a direct comparison, I would say Google Maps has the superior user interface. However, Waze is the ultimate in aggressive routing - if you tell it to get you the quickest route, it will do so by taking you down every side street, navigating a three junctions as opposed to waiting an extra minute in traffic, and it adds up.

Really depends if you want to just get from A to B (Maps), or get from A to B fast.

Master
    Many thanks for your input folks. In the end the journey went swimmingly, in part thanks to some local knowledge, thanks Steve.

However, Waze installed and I'll be testing it in the weeks ahead.

Waze for me. More info regarding traffic and hazards than Google maps. And having the speed displayed is handy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Great thread this. I don't wish to steer it off course (see what I did there...?) but is there any way of connecting an iphone to a car to show on the cars LCD screen? I have an iphone 5 and want to show the maps on the radio/sat nav screen rather than use the cars sat nav as it's very basic. I'm also not keen on the iphone cradles.

It can be done with a lightning to HDMI cable if your car screen accept HDMI. I can do it on mine. But I hardly use the facility, I use a MOUS* phone protector and windscreen holder and I find the location perfect.
    Another added bonus for me is that Waze allows you to play Spotify instead of having to endure Jeremy Vine or Woman's hour...

Edit: * Sorry, just checked and they don't do iphone 5.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Waze is the best for traffic

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It can be done with a lightning to HDMI cable if your car screen accept HDMI. I can do it on mine. But I hardly use the facility, I use a MOUS* phone protector and windscreen holder and I find the location perfect.
    Another added bonus for me is that Waze allows you to play Spotify instead of having to endure Jeremy Vine or Woman's hour...

Edit: * Sorry, just checked and they don't do iphone 5.
    Thanks for the reply. : )

Waze has saved me many hours of sitting in traffic jams in this part of the world, I've used it all over Central and South America as well as in Europe and the US. It's very popular with the numerous taxi drivers so tends to get updated rapidly. Obviously a good data package is essential, and some local knowledge can save you from being indiscriminately routed through areas that appear much like The Shades of Ankh-Morpork.

A few months ago I had just made a drop off at El Dorado airport and was heading home with eldest daughter when a car shunted us at a junction. After I had made a couple of phone calls and discussed reparations I returned to the car where she was excitedly asking me to turn on Waze. She was absolutely delighted to find our incident featuring on the app.

Craftsman
    Waze, 100%

Craftsman
    I know I have missed the boat here but I want to put another vote in for Waze. It's absolutely brilliant.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I'm a fan of Waze. Google Maps are good too but Waze has the advantage of traffic camera alerts which Google maps doesn't.

I’m a Waze fan but tend to use Google Maps when overseas as you can download the maps before you go and not be caught out by some stupid data roaming charges...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waze always
    Google maps occasionally.
    (Powered by TomTom?)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Great thread this. I don't wish to steer it off course (see what I did there...?) but is there any way of connecting an iphone to a car to show on the cars LCD screen? I have an iphone 5 and want to show the maps on the radio/sat nav screen rather than use the cars sat nav as it's very basic. I'm also not keen on the iphone cradles.
    You'd need a head unit with carplay. But afaik, you then have to use apple maps (vastly inferior to waze/Google maps), and I'm not 100% sure if an iPhone 5 is carplay compatible.

I've got android auto in my car, it's excellent. Miles ahead of the standard nav systems fitted in most cars, and the voice control is very good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk