closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work shirts

Master

Work shirts

Chaps, getting fed up with TM Lewin shirts and fancy upping the quality slightly. Anyone know what's good in the c. £50 - £60 area for wearing with chinos to work? I've got some Fynch-Hatton, which are really nice but a little casual and not really long enough. I tend to wear button cuff because cuff links annoy me when I'm using a computer (i.e. most of the day) but it would be nice if I could fit a Marinemaster under the cuff (not essential though since I usually wear something a little dressier to work).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Haha very good; I want top avoid giving my colleagues a migraine whenever they look at me

Suitsupply was one of my go to's for anything smart. A bit of a faff to get a fit, but instore staff are great help. I think they'll just be in your budget.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Suitsupply was one of my go to's for anything smart. A bit of a faff to get a fit, but instore staff are great help. I think they'll just be in your budget.
    Thanks mate, will look into it

It seems that there is a store near my work so that's useful. As an aside, I thought I had stumbled upon a repository for gay pictures when clicked on their website
    Last edited by Parabola; 26th February 2018 at 13:25.

Pink? As in the make not the colour

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Thanks mate, will look into it

It seems that there is a store near my work so that's useful. As an aside, I thought I had stumbled upon a repository for gay pictures when clicked on their website
    Hahaha, I was a bit confused and decided to google 'suit supply' and see what you mean with their um latest campaign. Its a Dutch brand so not too surprising I guess

Craftsman
    Probably a little more £ than you wanted to spend but the fit and quality is very good at http://harringtonandthomas.com/. There is plenty of choice of colours and fabrics. I consider the bespoke fit is worth a few pounds more particularly as I usually need to have regular shirts tailored due to my T-Rex arms. I had my last batch from Harringtons about a year ago and they are still going strong/looking sharp. I wear a formal shirt every weekday and keep ten to twelve on rotation.

Further down the price band but not to be scoffed at - I've been impressed by Charles Tyrwhitt www.ctshirts.com. They often get compared with TM Lewin but I have found CT shirts to be far better - worth popping into one of their shops and checking them out. I have had some tremendous shirts from them which you would have thought cost far more than they did. With four body fits and several arm lengths I have not had to have theirs tailored. They even currently have an offer on where the shirts are £19.99 with a free tie! With their cheap returns you can even take a chance ordering a few online to find the right ones.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    Pink? As in the make not the colour
    Little bit expensive but I will take a look in Jermyn Street tomorrow thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post
    Probably a little more £ than you wanted to spend but the fit and quality is very good at http://harringtonandthomas.com/. There is plenty of choice of colours and fabrics. I consider the bespoke fit is worth a few pounds more particularly as I usually need to have regular shirts tailored due to my T-Rex arms. I had my last batch from Harringtons about a year ago and they are still going strong/looking sharp. I wear a formal shirt every weekday and keep ten to twelve on rotation.

Further down the price band but not to be scoffed at - I've been impressed by Charles Tyrwhitt www.ctshirts.com. They often get compared with TM Lewin but I have found CT shirts to be far better - worth popping into one of their shops and checking them out. I have had some tremendous shirts from them which you would have thought cost far more than they did. With four body fits and several arm lengths I have not had to have theirs tailored. They even currently have an offer on where the shirts are £19.99 with a free tie! With their cheap returns you can even take a chance ordering a few online to find the right ones.
    Never tried Tyrwhitt but will take a look now. The H&T look very nice indeed. I not going to rule them out just yet.

Craftsman
    Use the link www.ctshirts.com/vick to get the current offer rather than the full prices. I think it's on until well into April.

Master
    Use the link www.ctshirts.com/vick to get the current offer rather than the full prices. I think it's on until well into April.
    TA, just looked at H&T. Like the way you can specify your watch cuff

Agree that Charles Tyrwhitt are a step up from T M Lewin. As to CT's pricing model , I think their various special offers have been a feature for the past 10-15 years.

Craftsman
    I found Harringtons to be very good. Small company run by Tom and his wife (Hannah I think). They used to offer to meet you at a London train station (as I did) and take your measurements (oh-err missus) but I think they stopped that after Hannah had a baby (events not linked ). Now you have to get someone to measure you - I think there's a guide video on their website.

It's a while back but first up I had them make just one shirt - got it tweaked to be a perfect fit - then just ordered them as needed as they keep your measurements on file. The trick is not to put any weight on - otherwise you need to own up and let them know to add a couple of inches on the waist etc. Also they take a month or two to arrive so you need to plan ahead.

They will make them exactly as you like - watch cuff, long in body etc. Take time to get it right then they feel very special - as bespoke/made to measure should

Equally CT can be a quarter of the price and I understand they have a six month no quibble quality guarantee

Never tried Tyrwhitt but will take a look now. The H&T look very nice indeed. I not going to rule them out just yet.
    I'd second the Tyrwhitt comments. They do shrink a little after time but definitely hold their shape better than TM Lewins. Depending on how long you keep them it's almost worth buying 1/2 inch too big in the expectation of a slight shrinkage.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    CT non iron shirts are excellent, once they get you as a customer they send offers all the time, which pretty much amount to 5 for £100, have now stopped ordering TML

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    It's looking like a consensus for CT is emerging...

Master
    Another vote for CT had a fair few other the years, without complaint.

It's looking like a consensus for CT is emerging...
    If Suit Supply is near you, go have a fitting. I cannot recommend their stuff highly enough - though of course more expensive than the offers on CT.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    If Suit Supply is near you, go have a fitting. I cannot recommend their stuff highly enough - though of course more expensive than the offers on CT.
    I definitely will go and have a look thanks mate. Either tomorrow or Wednesday and will report back

Used to buy H&C and TML but found them poor quality. Been impressed with CT Shirts and that’s my go to budget option now, I go to Pink when I’m felling flush...they do have deals occasionally that are 4 for £200 so in your price bracket!
    Last edited by dougair; 28th February 2018 at 17:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Used to buy H&C and TML but found them poor quality. Been impressed with CT Shirts and that’s my go to budget option now, I go to Pink when I’m felling flush...they do have deals occasionally that are 4 for £200 so in your price bracket!
    What's H&C? Just so I know what to avoid

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used to be a TM Lewin customer, they have consistently cut the quality over the years to increase margins / keep the price the same. Been buying CT for the last few years, very decent value for money you could get better but would be paying significantly more for it.

What's H&C? Just so I know what to avoid

Hawes & Curtis

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    I used to be a TM Lewin customer, they have consistently cut the quality over the years to increase margins / keep the price the same. Been buying CT for the last few years, very decent value for money you could get better but would be paying significantly more for it.
    Exactly this. CT non iron all the way!

Craftsman
    Another CT fan here. I did get them to take me off the mailing list - they send a lot of paper!

Craftsman
    For the last year I have been wearing M&S luxury collection work shirts and they have been very good, wash well and still look quite sharp.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I’ve also migrated away from TML to CT.

Taking off shoes recently to put on driving ones & the TML shirt just ripped, not at the seam, the fabric itself. It was a year old or so, but with so many shirts worn in rotation to a degree, can only have been worn 12 times.

Most annoying thing was I threw it out when I got home, worked from home for the next week & then after bin collection realised I’d thrown my silver collar stiffeners out with the shirt. Bugger

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    For a while I was a Cordings fan but fancied a change and some non-iron so gave CT a try. The quality at that price is excellent and when I need some more that's where I'll go.

Craftsman
    Getting a bit monotonous now, but another CT fan here. They occasionally have a 3 shirts for £55 deal which is a stonking price. The non-iron shirts are excellent.
    Last edited by gary1064; 26th February 2018 at 23:15.

I like the look of CT shirts but it seems hard to find places that do slim fit with a 19 inch neck. I think the assumption is if you have a neck this large slim fit must be inappropriate!

Craftsman

Have to agree that Charles Tyrwhitt non iron are superb. Have changed all my work shirts to these. Comfortable good quality and leave the washing machine without a crease in sight. Excellent value for money. There are often sales and if you collect Avios the also will get you some points.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Another vote for CT, quality and sizing options are excellent. I must have had several dozen from them over the last few years and have never found fault with any of them, really excellent value!

Another happy Tyrwhitt customer here....usually they are always having a 'sale' except for a few weeks of the year when it's 'full price'.....the shirts have been full price, £60, for a month or so now but currently their offer of four for £110 is great. Get on the mailing list and you'll be given £10 off vouchers every few months

Craftsman
    Little bit expensive but I will take a look in Jermyn Street tomorrow thanks
    Outlet has some good deals, polo shirts at around 20 quid.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Agree that Charles Tyrwhitt are a step up from T M Lewin.
    Ditto and once a customer they frequently send you discount vouchers.

Always go for the multi buy offers & I like that if necessary, I can order a shorter sleeve.
    Last edited by andy tims; 27th February 2018 at 14:17.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    Have to agree that Charles Tyrwhitt non iron are superb. Have changed all my work shirts to these. Comfortable good quality and leave the washing machine without a crease in sight. Excellent value for money. There are often sales and if you collect Avios the also will get you some points.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Are "non-iron" shirts really that? Most of my work shirts are non iron (M&S, Jaeger, TML and quite a few other brands) but I have to iron them all (well SWMBO does)....

Master
    Myself and my brother inlaw both had issues with CT shirts, the collar stiffeners never did a full job so the ends of the collars used to turn up like the edges of a stale sandwich. I tend to buy M&S luxury shirts for work but its a limited choice if you pfefer not to have regular fit and even more if you want the 2" longer ones as well, I think you can tailor them on their website though, found that a faff though.

I tried Thomas Pink shirts but they weren't cheap and were a pain to iron so now venturing into Profuomo shirts.

Craftsman
    Moss Bros see me right for work gear.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    I like the look of CT shirts but it seems hard to find places that do slim fit with a 19 inch neck. I think the assumption is if you have a neck this large slim fit must be inappropriate!
    I have a mate who plays rugby with a 18.5 inch neck but a 34 inch waist. Shirts mostly look pretty comical on him

Eterna off their German website
    Great service and quality

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Eterna off their German website
    Great service and quality
    They look nice. Fynch-Hatton are German too at a similar price point and I'm a fan of those too

I like the flattery of CT shirts, their ‘slim’ fit shirts fit nicely in spite of my BMI telling me I’m chubby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I like the flattery of CT shirts, their ‘slim’ fit shirts fit nicely in spite of my BMI telling me I’m chubby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha, apparently my BMI is 27...

Craftsman
    Eton - Super Slim fit for me however the are a lot more then CT & the others, In the sale you'll be able to find the contemporary or slim within your budget. I've used Dalvey in the past as an alternative to Eton.

Have you had a look at http://www.shirtdetective.com it's a good site for comparing this of each of the major shirt brands both chest and waist, they also comment on quality.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I've ordered a couple of CT shirts to see how they are. Many thanks for Donny for the link!
    You are welcome - happy to be of some help

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Eton - Super Slim fit for me however the are a lot more then CT & the others, In the sale you'll be able to find the contemporary or slim within your budget. I've used Dalvey in the past as an alternative to Eton.

Have you had a look at http://www.shirtdetective.com it's a good site for comparing this of each of the major shirt brands both chest and waist, they also comment on quality.
    No never seen that website. thanks for the tip

Great thread and perfect timing for me as I've been thinking about upping my shirt game for the last few weeks but have no idea where to buy.

I've ordered a couple of CT shirts to see how they are. Many thanks for Donny for the link!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post

Thanks for the site, that's a great resource!

Now this place is tempting me to buy some new shirts I didn't realise I needed...well I did but was choosing to pretend my old baggy shirts that are too big for me were fine!

Craftsman
    www.eternadirect.com - along with their German site as mentioned above, I buy all my work shirts from Eterna. Good sale prices at times as well.