closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SWMBO grumbling!

Blog Entries

SWMBO grumbling!

SWMBO is grumbling() that she is finding it a bit uncomfortable reading on her Kindle Voyage. She has a birthday coming up next month and for one of her pressies I am considering getting her the iPad mini 4 to try to resolve this issue. She has a IPad already but finds it a bit cumbersome for reading in bed/on planes etc! My question is to you guys who already own the iPad mini 4, what is it like for reading kindle books?

Thanks in advance for comments/thoughts!

What does she find uncomfortable? Is a Kindle Oasis an option? I’ve always preferred reading on an e-ink screen over an iPad.

Craftsman
    I have an iPad mini which I read on, our county library(suffolk) also loans books to read on it too, as well as ibooks and kindle so all bases covered, It's much less cumbersome than a full sized iPad and great to read in bed as it is illuminated and the recent software changes 'colour' at night so you don't get the blue light that keeps you awake. Cheers, John B4

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I’ve always preferred reading on an e-ink screen over an iPad.
    Same here. Much easier on the eyes and you can adjust text size easy, better in sunlight etc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Same here. Much easier on the eyes and you can adjust text size easy, better in sunlight etc
    Totally agree,much easier to read a Kindle than iPad.

I lost my kindle on the plane on the flight out to holiday last year and switched to the iPad know mini 4. Found it great with no
    Issues

My missus has a Kindle Paperwhite I bought her a few years ago, can see it in bright light, non reflective matt screen, very easy on the eyes..

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comments gentlemen, the attraction of the iPad over the Oasis is the absence of ‘Amazon’ restrictions. I am going to get the iPad mini4 and if this plot does not work then I get the Mini() to go with my big iPad Pro (which can be a bit cumbersome at 12.9”) and SWMBO can have a Oasis.
    Thanks guys.

Would agree with the others, kindle heaps better than iPad for reading.

If she hasn’t tried a physical book in a while, buy her one; may be enough to give up the gadgets altogether...

Mrs Draft lugs around an iPad Pro in a case with a keyboard- to my mind she might as well carry a small laptop, but she loves it.

My ideal set up which I’ve had for a while is a pair of mini iPads. Both are 4s, only one has (and needs) a SIM so the second one is WiFi only. With this setup I can easily have 2 things running simultaneously. I use them for Kindle and find it works well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Would agree with the others, kindle heaps better than iPad for reading.

If she hasn’t tried a physical book in a while, buy her one; may be enough to give up the gadgets altogether...
    Lol! Our existing iPads and kindles are in addition TO our books, we have 11 bookcases throughout the house chock full and probably 60 books relegated to the garage as being down the pecking order for hardback space.

I may get both iPad mini4 and the Oasis and let her choose which she finds most comfortable and fire the other back.

Thanks guys.

I have a Bookeen e-reader with LCD screen and recently upgraded to a Kindle Fire HD which I find a massive improvement. I can't imagine anything being better as long as you get the reading angle right.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I have a Bookeen e-reader with LCD screen and recently upgraded to a Kindle Fire HD which I find a massive improvement. I can't imagine anything being better as long as you get the reading angle right.

Eddie
    I will check this out against the Oasis, thank you Eddie!

e-ink readers are so much better for books in my experience.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

E-ink readers are so much lighter than iPads, even the Mini. I also like the lack of distraction on the Kindle. When I’m reading there’s no temptation to look at Twitter, email or the web.

E-ink every time. Lynn and I both have original Kindle Keyboards, only way we'd replace them would be with other Kindles. Readable in bright sunlight and far less tiring on the eyes than phones, tablets, PC's etc. Only thing that comes anywhere near E-ink are 'real' paper books - and they are soooooo much heavier to carry around. Not sure why you think a Kindle locks you into Amazon, we've both got lots of e books from places other than Amazon.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Another E-ink vote. It's one of those things where you don't appreciate how much better it is than the alternative until you go from one to the other. I have relatively good eyesight but find myself straining to keep focused on an iPad after half an hour whereas this was never an issue on E-ink. That was with a Nook too, back when they were a thing, I imagine the latest Kindle offerings are even nicer to use?

Craftsman
    Another vote for e-ink here ... I've got a serious bibliophile habit, and for stuff that's just for reading, it's superb .. I started with a nook and moved up to the paperwhite - probably bought 30% of what's on my kindle and side load the rest / calibre the remainder ... I wouldn't not have one - the battery life and back light swing it for me..

Higher end kindle e-ink devices am less convinced of the merits of - but the backlight on the paperwhite is very good..

al

Master
    E-ink for me too, love my voyage. If you want to shift it, could be interested for the wife as she’s using an old one with a clip on light.

Having tried both ink and the iPad / fire screens, it’s a no brainier for me if you like to read either in the sun, or without blue light before bed.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app